A Polymath Focuses on Japanese, 2019

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Re: A Polymath's Dilemma, 2018

Postby Xenops » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:07 pm

Elenia wrote:My guess it's probably to do with spelling change: 'votre' would have been 'vostre' in Middle and Old French, and it would have had a much clearer relation to 'vos'. Old French had a lot more 's's than modern French does, most (if not all, but I'm not sure so don't quote me on this!) before 't's. If I remember correctly, they were all silent. And now I'm guessing completely, but I'm pretty sure they would have all been leftovers from Latin.

Blast those spelling changes. ;) Of course, the old spellings might make the pronunciation/orthography worse. I would like to learn the older versions of French at some point.
Last edited by Xenops on Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:36 pm

Elenia wrote:My guess it's probably to do with spelling change: 'votre' would have been 'vostre' in Middle and Old French, and it would have had a much clearer relation to 'vos'. Old French had a lot more 's's than modern French does, most (if not all, but I'm not sure so don't quote me on this!) before 't's. If I remember correctly, they were all silent. And now I'm guessing completely, but I'm pretty sure they would have all been leftovers from Latin.
Quote below from Honni soit qui mal y pense (ISBN: 9782253154440)
En français, c'est à la fin du XIII siècle que n'a plus été prononcée la consonne s lorsqu'elle était suivie d'une autre consonne dans la même syllabe.
Then there's a list of english words with s that would have come from french when they were still pronouncing the s too. master/maître, cost/coût, haste/hâte etc.
7 x

Xenops
Brown Belt

Postby Xenops » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:49 am

Since February 7th to now, the 22nd, this is what I got done:

French in Action 10.0-10.2, 10.4-10.6, 10.8-10.10, 10.12-10.14, 10.16-10.51
Met with tutor once
Reviewed Anki semiregularly, added some cards
Attended a French conversation meetup
Went to French restaurant, spoke and heard French
Had brief email correspondence concerning an Ebay item in French.

I mention FiA exercises in bunches, because I was missing the audio for 10.03, 10.07, 10.11, and 10.15. I'm not sure if the Middle bury site I downloaded everything was missing these MP3 files, or if I sped through the downloading and missed some (very likely). Randomly selecting other chapters, it looks like they have all of their audio.

This chapter and chapter 9 seems to pick up the page faster than chapter 8 and before, and I feel like I need to review more before these concepts are cemented.

For other events, Anki has been neglected more than I would like, and I need to get back to adding cards more regularly. I had wanted to visit one of Boston's French restaurants for a while, and I was surprised that I was not only greeted in French, but many of the waiters spoke in French around me. I was a little intimidated to practice speaking myself. I also attended one of Meetup's French conversation groups. Most of the attendees were retirement age, but I was pleasantly surprised at how intentional they were about sticking to French. There were a couple of native French speakers, and mostly learners. They knew more French than I of course, but the Americans definitely had American accents. They complimented my accent, and I had to confess that I used a tutor for that. I also brought my FiA workbook for a discussion prompt. Only at the end when there was only a few of us left did the group resort to English (to discuss computer updates). At the end the French dude (who was my age) and I walked to the subway, and chatted about his working as a post-doc at Harvard and my plans to move to Europe at some point. We sat close to each other on the subway train. He asked a question, and I thought I heard "can I have your number?". I blushed at this, and fiddled with my phone. Making my faith paramount in my life, I asked him if he went to church. He said No, he doesn't. He then asked his original question louder: "Can I see your workbook?"

My face felt hot, and I handed him the FiA book. He asked what I thought I had heard. I told him. Then I gave an embarrassed laugh, and my chewing gum fell out of my mouth onto the train floor.
He said graciously "Well, yes, I was going to ask that, too."
I picked up the gum with a tissue, and we sat in silence, while he looked at my workbook. After a quick look, he gave it back. The next train arrived at the next stop, and I quickly said my farewell and left.

And that's why I'm trying online dating.
14 x

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:39 am

You are wildly adorable. This is the best post I've read on here, maybe ever. The saga of trying to date your way into a new language... It's like our own LLorg soap opera. I hope that doesn't embarrass you more. I needed a happy story in my life tonight. :) :) :)
2 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

BalancingAct
Orange Belt
Languages: Mandarin, Cantonese, English (Prof.), French (Adv. - Prof.), Italian (Adv.), German (Adv. receptive), Spanish (Int. receptive)

Postby BalancingAct » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:42 am

Xenops wrote: At the end the French dude (who was my age) and I walked to the subway, and chatted about his working as a post-doc at Harvard and my plans to move to Europe at some point. We sat close to each other on the subway train. He asked a question, and I thought I heard "can I have your number?". I blushed at this, and fiddled with my phone. Making my faith paramount in my life, I asked him if he went to church. He said No, he doesn't. He then asked his original question louder: "Can I see your workbook?"

My face felt hot, and I handed him the FiA book. He asked what I thought I had heard. I told him. Then I gave an embarrassed laugh, and my chewing gum fell out of my mouth onto the train floor.
He said graciously "Well, yes, I was going to ask that, too."
I picked up the gum with a tissue, and we sat in silence, while he looked at my workbook. After a quick look, he gave it back. The next train arrived at the next stop, and I quickly said my farewell and left.

And that's why I'm trying online dating.

That's an interesting story.
The logic of the last line is not evident.
Does his look/manner please you or not?
0 x

Xenops
Brown Belt

Postby Xenops » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:25 pm

BalancingAct wrote:That's an interesting story.
The logic of the last line is not evident.
Does his look/manner please you or not?

I meant to say that I have no real-life dating skills, and that's why I'm trying online dating. :lol:

Since he doesn't go to church, and I do (I am an active Christian, and he is not), it will stop there.
0 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:49 pm

Clearly I've gone to the wrong language meetups. :lol:
4 x
Corrections appreciated.

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:17 pm

French in Action really works!
9 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:44 am

¡Vaya, vaya!

Oops: "tiens, tiens!"
1 x

aravinda
Green Belt
Languages: .

Postby aravinda » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:10 am

A little gem of a post, Xenops. You can flesh this out a bit and write a nice short story. :)
1 x

Return to “Language logs”