Spoon's 2018 attempt at success [ ES | IT | EO | DE? ] + Greek FLC

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Spoonary
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Español (Adv), Italiano (Int), Esperanto (I try)

Re: Spoon's 2018 attempt at success [ ES | IT | EO | DE? ] + Greek FLC

Postby Spoonary » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:55 pm

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate your support. :)

Well, after a couple of weeks of waiting, I finally received the reply I was waiting for. Unfortunately, I didn't get the job because my Spanish was not fluent enough for the role apparently. To be honest, I am not really surprised, given how little Spanish I speak nowadays. Besides, I'm fortunate to be fairly happy in my current place of work so it's not a huge deal, but still, rejection isn't a nice pill to swallow :roll:

I'm glad I gave it a go though, and now I'm a bit more motivated to work on my Spanish speaking than I was before so... :P
7 x

Spoonary
Blue Belt

Postby Spoonary » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:28 pm

Ok, so I'm going to try setting some weekly goals, as they have worked for me in the past and seem to work for others, so why not? :)

Week ending Sunday 25th March
Español
- Read 25% of Ficciones and write about it in the read-along thread
- Watch 2 episodes of Ingobernable
- Listen to 2 episodes of Nadie sabe nada
- Do 3 10 minute recordings of myself speaking

Italiano
- Read through 1 chapter of A Reference Grammar of Modern Italian
- Watch/listen to 1 episode of something other than Youtube

Esperanto
- Complete 3 lessons on Duolingo

Deutsch
- Finish watching the A.1 Get Germanised complete course video on Youtube

Ελληνικά
- Spend at least 1 hour studying Greek

I would like to do at least something with each of my target languages this week, but, as you can clearly see, Spanish is my main focus. Despite my initial impressions, I still really want to read Ficciones, so getting a quarter of that read will be my priority. However, speaking and listening are also areas I need to work on.

At some point I had to start tightening up what I think I know about Italian grammar, so I'm going to read a grammar book from cover to cover. What could possibly go wrong there? :lol:

Finally, I'm not sure what, exactly, I'm going to do with Greek yet - I could study with my cousin again, or not - but I am never going to reach A2 if I don't get a move on, so I definitely want to do something with that language this week.
6 x

Spoonary
Blue Belt

Postby Spoonary » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:46 pm

Here I am with the results of my weekly goals from this week. It was a mixed bag of successes and failures, but I think having small objectives to focus on has helped me get something done at least :)

Goal Results Week Ending Sunday 25th March
Español
- Read 25% of Ficciones and write about it in the read-along thread Done! I read 27% and, now that I've started, I want to read more.
- Watch 2 episodes of Ingobernable Done! I binged these two episodes today and I'm really enjoying this series.
- Listen to 2 episodes of Nadie sabe nada - Nope! I only listened to 1.
- Do 3 10 minute recordings of myself speaking. -Nope! I didn't even manage 1.

Italiano
- Read through 1 chapter of A Reference Grammar of Modern Italian - Nope! I didn't even start.
- Watch/listen to 1 episode of something other than Youtube - Nope!

Esperanto
- Complete 3 lessons on Duolingo - Nope! I think I did 1...

Deutsch
- Finish watching the A.1 Get Germanised complete course video on Youtube Done! This was a good overview of the very basics of German, but I'm not sure how much of it I have taken in. I did start doing a German course on Memrise though.

Ελληνικά
- Spend at least 1 hour studying Greek Done! I did this last weekend actually, shortly after posting my goals. My cousin and I continued with the wikibook from before which covered greetings and personal introductions. So far so good/καλά.

And now for my goals for this week.

Week Ending Sunday 1st April
Español
- Read another 25% of Ficciones and write about it in the read-along thread

Italiano

Esperanto
- Complete 3 lessons on Duolingo

Deutsch
- Use Memrise every day

Ελληνικά

Yeah, so everything is pretty much the same as last week. Hopefully this time, I'll get more done. :)
2 x

Spoonary
Blue Belt

Postby Spoonary » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:30 pm

As this week ended with a 4 day bank holiday weekend, during which I have been rather busy, I decided to extend my goals until today. Spoilers! Even with the extra day, I didn't complete them all :roll:

Goal Results Week Ending Monday 2nd April
Español
- Read another 25% of Ficciones and write about it in the read-along thread - Done! See the thread in question for my thoughts.
- Watch 2 episodes of Ingobernable - Nope - I haven't been in the mood for TV this week.
- Listen to 2 episodes of Nadie sabe nada - Done! I think I listened to 3 episodes but I'm not sure.
- Do 3 10 minute recordings of myself speaking - Nope - I did 2 though, which is better than last week. One thing I noticed is how out of breath I get while speaking Spanish. I am so focussed on getting a sentence out of my mouth that I forget to breathe! :oops:

Italiano
- Read through 1 chapter of A Reference Grammar of Modern Italian - Nope!
- Watch/listen to 1 episode of something other than Youtube - Done! - I watched Bianca come il latte, rossa come il sangue on Netflix. It's a cute little film about a teen boy who falls in love with a girl who becomes very ill. It was an entertaining film which was nice and easy on the language front too.

Esperanto
- Complete 3 lessons on Duolingo - Done! - I'm not sure how many lessons I did, but I only have 9 to do before I finally finish the tree.

Deutsch
- Use Memrise every day - Nope - I used it 5 out of the 8 days though so I don't think that's too bad.

Ελληνικά
- Spend at least 1 hour studying Greek - Nope, not this week.

Well, I did a bit better than last week, but I didn't find any time for Greek. Hopefully I will be able to make up for it in the rest of this week, when my goals will be pretty much the same. Sorry if you're bored of this already :roll:

Week Ending Sunday 8th April
Español
- Read the third 25% of Ficciones and write about it in the read-along thread

Italiano

Esperanto
- Finish the Duolingo tree

Deutsch
- Use Memrise every day

Ελληνικά
Last edited by Spoonary on Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
8 x

eido
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C1)

Postby eido » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:19 pm

Spoonary wrote:One thing I noticed is how out of breath I get while speaking Spanish. I am so focussed on getting a sentence out of my mouth that I forget to breathe!

That happens to me too! I was reading a couple passages for a Lingora recording to practice my pronunciation, and one of the first comments I got was "you sound like you're having trouble breathing, but that's okay". :shock: I think it has something to do with me trying to time Spanish as if it were English. They have different mechanisms. One's syllable-timed, the other not. I'm not entirely sure still what the difference is, but I know that trying to articulate punchy Spanish with long-winded English style makes you stick out like a sore thumb, non-native for sure. I guess the point of my posting this is to let you know you're not the only one :lol:
2 x

Spoonary
Blue Belt

Postby Spoonary » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:54 pm

Well, it's time for some more mediocre performance from me as I only completed half my goals. My excuse is that I had one less day to complete them :roll:

Goal Results Week Ending Sunday 8th April
Español
- Read the third 25% of Ficciones and write about it in the read-along thread - Done! - I'm up to 81% read and I really can't wait for it to be over, if I'm honest.
- Watch 2 episodes of Ingobernable - Nope! - I was going to watch it but then I saw that The Great British Bake Off is on Netflix and the rest is history :oops:
- Listen to 2 episodes of Nadie sabe nada - Done!
- Do 3 10 minute recordings of myself speaking - Nope! - I did 1 on Tuesday then didn't have much to say for the rest of the week.

Italiano
- Read through 1 chapter of A Reference Grammar of Modern Italian - Nope!
- Watch/listen to 1 episode of something other than Youtube - Nope! Italian was completely abandoned this week.

Esperanto
- Finish the Duolingo tree - Done! - JES! Finfine! I have started the Lernu course now too.

Deutsch
- Use Memrise every day - Nope! but 5/6 ain't bad!

Ελληνικά
- Spend at least 1 hour studying Greek - Nope! I really need to get back on with Greek!

Ok, I'm not going to set any goals for next week, because I really don't feel like it. Let's see whether I manage to do anything all the same.
2 x

eido
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C1)

Postby eido » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:28 pm

I'm on mobile right now and can't figure out how to copy and paste, but there's a computer application you can download to learn Esperanto. Have you heard of it? I believe it's called Kurso de Esperanto. It teaches you the language in brief. I downloaded it when I experimented with the language this past year (and made a log on another site, only to give up on it). It's pretty thorough for a beginner and is well designed. It has exercises that you can have corrected by an Esperanto tutor. I thought for an application that was made so long ago, that wouldn't be offered still, but it is! The guy's a little eccentric, though. Anyway, good luck with your studies!
1 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:16 pm

This, I believe - http://kurso.com.br/
1 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Spoonary
Blue Belt

Postby Spoonary » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:29 pm

Thanks guys. Actually, I think I have already learned Esperanto and really just need to start using it and absorbing media to increase my active vocabulary, but having completed these courses will make me feel like I have covered all bases and have a decent foundation in the language. Plus, it's something I can measure and call progress :roll:
0 x

Spoonary
Blue Belt

Postby Spoonary » Wed May 02, 2018 9:36 pm

You know when you spend an hour writing a post and forget that the forum will time out your session after a short time, then you lose the whole thing? That's a thing that just happened :evil:
3 x

Return to “Language logs”