Spoon's 2018 attempt at success [ ES | IT | EO | DE? ] + Greek FLC

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Spoonary
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Español (Adv), Italiano (Int), Esperanto (I try)

Re: Spoon's 2018 attempt at success [ ES | IT | EO | DE? ]

Postby Spoonary » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:17 pm

tiia wrote:I haven't read your old log and to be honest, those two bands were not what I've been expecting in a log here. :D I've seen both of them live and even performing some songs together during the Eisheilige Nächte 2014.
But I'm wondering how much of the references a Non-German gets and how difficult some of the language is to understand.

Hehe, I'm glad I surprised you. :P Yeah, I really like both bands and I'm looking forward to understanding their lyrics :lol: When it comes to German, I'm very much a beginner, just picking out a few words here and there, so I'm probably not the best person to ask about the difficulty of the language, I'm afraid.

Thanks for the video; Veitstanz is one of my favourites by Subway to Sally actually :)
0 x

Spoonary
Blue Belt

Postby Spoonary » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:27 pm

You may have seen on another thread that I showed interest in using LWT, if only I could get it to work on my android tablet. After a quick google, I decided to take the easy way out and throw money at the problem - I signed back up for Lingq. :lol: Well, I got the first month for 1 dollar. How could I turn that down?

Attività in italiano
L'ultima volta che avevo utilizzato Lingq era 4 anni fa quando ho disdetto il mio abbonamento. So che ci sono tanti programmi alternativi che offrono lo stesso servizio che offre Steve Kaufmann con lingq, ma che sono anche gratis. Comunque, non sono mai riuscita a trovarne uno che proponesse la semplicità di utilizzo che ho provato invece con Lingq fin dall'inizio.

Da quando ho ricominciato a utilizzare Lingq su tutti i miei dispositivi mobile, ho letto e ascoltato dei brani scritti e letti da Luca Lampariello in italiano, delle conversazioni in spagnolo e addirittura qualche materiale per principianti in tedesco. Ho anche importato qualche articolo alla mia biblioteca e mi sono divertita creando nuovi Lingq e imparando qualche parolina nuova. :)

Altra cosa che ho fatto è stata cominciare a leggere Ho sbagliato più di te di Nicola Palmieri, sul quale ho scritto in spagnolo un paio di settimane fa. Ho letto una cinquantina di pagine e il libro in se finora non è niente di che (scusami, Redez, se stai leggendo questo). Vabbè è interessante leggere qualcosa scritta da un mio youtuber preferito, e dai, leggerlo mi fa riflettere un po' su ciò che mi fa sentire triste, frustrata, o semplicemente giù di morale, e mi fa anche pensare che non dovrei importarmene di quello che pensino gli altri di me, ma tutto questo lo sapevo già. :roll:
3 x

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:25 pm

tiia wrote:
I haven't read your old log and to be honest, those two bands were not what I've been expecting in a log here. :D I've seen both of them live and even performing some songs together during the Eisheilige Nächte 2014.
But I'm wondering how much of the references a Non-German gets and how difficult some of the language is to understand.
A hurdy-gurdy? Bagpipes? That's an unusual set of instruments for what seems to be at heart a metal band. :-)
1 x

tiia
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (?), Finnish (C1), Spanish (B2??), Swedish (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=2374

Postby tiia » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:02 am

DaveBee wrote:
tiia wrote:
I haven't read your old log and to be honest, those two bands were not what I've been expecting in a log here. :D I've seen both of them live and even performing some songs together during the Eisheilige Nächte 2014.
A hurdy-gurdy? Bagpipes? That's an unusual set of instruments for what seems to be at heart a metal band. :-)

Well... there's a whole subgenre, you know?

I don't think I would be good at explaining this... But let me tell you that bagpipes, hurdy-gurdies or nyckelharpas gained some popularity in the (more or less related) scene, which seems to exist pretty much only in Germany as such. It's nice to see these instruments on stage, but they're not too unusual anymore.

Wikipedia links (in German): 1 and 2 - Those contain different information than the English Wikipedia.
4 x
Corrections for entries written in Finnish, Spanish or Swedish are welcome.
Project 30+X: 25 / 30

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:44 am

tiia wrote:
DaveBee wrote:
tiia wrote:

Well... there's a whole subgenre, you know?

I don't think I would be good at explaining this... But let me tell you that bagpipes, hurdy-gurdies or nyckelharpas gained some popularity in the (more or less related) scene, which seems to exist pretty much only in Germany as such. It's nice to see these instruments on stage, but they're not too unusual anymore.

Wikipedia links (in German): 1 and 2 - Those contain different information than the English Wikipedia.
I think we'd call the old-style music "early music" in the UK.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006tn49

http://www.ncem.co.uk

You get choirs that favour that, sometimes with small period instrument orchestras/ensembles support. I've never heard of anyone marrying that with heavy metal before though!
1 x

Spoonary
Blue Belt

Postby Spoonary » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:03 pm

DaveBee wrote:I've never heard of anyone marrying that with heavy metal before though!

Isn't it amazing? I'm not really a metal fan in general (I prefer more of a punky sound), but I love these metal/folk hybrid genres. For Spanish I like Mägo de Oz, and the pirate metal band Alestorm, who sing in English with a Scottish twang, is one of my favourites too. :)
4 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:56 pm

I'm just chiming in on the discussion about folk and metal. Combining the two genres isn't that uncommon (just have a look at this wiki article). I'm a big fan of traditional folk (I play it myself), and I'm a big fan of various kinds of metal (hey, that's the genre that got me into music in the first place), but I'm not a fan of folk metal as a style (usually, I find it's neither folk nor metal, haha!).
3 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:20 am

Isn't Eluveitie something in the same direction? According to the Wikipedia article they sometimes try communicating in the Gaulish language (although I don't understand how they can do that, given how little remains from the days of yore)
5 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:08 pm

Yeah, that's one of those bands I was thinking of.

-Oh, you play Irish music, then you listen to Eluveitie, right? :roll:
1 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Spoonary
Blue Belt

Postby Spoonary » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:42 pm

After that little musical interlude (I had a little listen to Eluveitie by the way, and they're a bit too metal for me), it's time to get back to my log, with another rambling post about a random topic. :P

I am writing this week's post in English because it just would not feel right to try to cover this topic in another language.

How do I even English?
No, this is not going to be a post about struggling to find words/grammatical structures in my native language due to aaaalll the foreign language learning I'm not doing. There are plenty of those on this forum already. It is, however, going to be about me losing my grip on my native English, and how that bothers me a bit more every day.

I am a native English speaker and I live my life in English. As I work in customer service, I speak, hear, read and write a LOT of English every day. The majority of the media I consume is in English and I chat to my friends on social media in English, for the most part. So I consume and produce a fair amount of English on a daily basis. The thing is, I want more, and I feel like I should be doing more with English.

Let's just take a moment to go back into my past (please excuse the smell), to see where my interest in language came from. Setting aside my brilliant secondary school Spanish teacher, who pretty much speaks for himself (and I should hope so), I was also inspired by my English Literature teacher at the time. He was so obviously passionate about his job, and had this air of intelligence about him that really impressed me. (Ok, I'll admit it, maybe I had a bit of a schoolgirl crush on him :roll: ). The subject interested me to no end as well though, so much so that I took English Literature AND English Language at college (this is of course UK sixth form college I'm talking about, from 16-18).

I enjoyed both of these subjects greatly (for anyone who has read my previous logs, this is about the time that I hated Spanish :lol: ) and although I was doing much better in terms of essays, exams etc. in English Language, I considered that English Literature was more of a prestigious subject to study, and so went to university to study it. It was there that I worked out that the history/culture-focused part of studying literature did absolutely nothing for me. I discovered that it was studying the use of the language itself that interested me. I loved to see how words were put together, played with and used to convey meaning, without the need for some historical/theoretical relevance. I think this is why I am such a fan of stand up comedy as well. Wordplay just fills my heart with joy, and I am actually quite proud of my own sense of humour for this same reason :P

During my Spanish degree (which I actually completed, unlike the English Literature one), I not only studied foreign languages, which I absolutely adored, but I also took several English linguistics modules. In the most part, I enjoyed these modules too, but I faltered often when some sort of cultural significance had to be found for the use of one word or phrase or other. Can't we just enjoy the spectacle that is the beauty of language without always looking for a reason why? :?

Anyway, I seem to have gone off on a massive tangent, so let's bring this back to my original worry; I don't think I am dedicating enough time to my first language passion -- English. More specifically, I don't think the quality of the media I am consuming in English allows me to fully appreciate how brilliant my native language is. As you all may know from my previous posts, I only really watch youtube nowadays, no tv or anything like that. Now, I watch videos in multiple languages, and the quality* of the language used in those videos varies, sure, but I think I need to start prioritising the use of my leisure time. It's time to reduce the amount of Youtube I watch, to free up some time for watching/listening to more 'worthwhile' media, such as TV shows, documentaries and podcasts. I need to do this for all of my languages really, but English should also be a priority.

I'm sure a lot if you feel the absolute opposite to what I'm about to say, but sometimes I find myself thinking I'm maybe wasting my time doing things in other languages, when I could be enriching my experience with my own native language by learning more words, listening, reading and pushing myself to write and speak about more varied/complex topics. *sigh* I dunno...

*I know that the idea of 'quality' could start a whole other discussion, but please allow me to throw the word around here.
10 x

Return to “Language logs”