Radioclare's 2018 log (Croatian/Russian)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Re: Radioclare's 2018 log (Croatian/Russian)

Postby Serpent » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:25 am

reineke wrote:In Russian, eggs fried this way are called глазунья (glazun'ya).
That's correct, but usually you say яичница-глазунья. The opposite is яичница-болтунья - literally chatterbox but here it's related to stirring. It means scrambled eggs but to us these are two kinds of the same thing. So normally people just say яичница unless it's really important to specify which kind.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fried_egg#Russia
2 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:03 pm

vonPeterhof wrote:
Radioclare wrote:Throughout the course of the chapter, the book uses three different words for holidays and I don't feel like it defines them very clearly:

отпуск - leave, holiday
каникулы - vacation
отдых - rest, holiday

Are all these words interchangeable? Or is there some nuance in meaning? As far I'm concerned a holiday is a holiday, a vacation is when an American has a holiday and leave is something you might get from the army...

MamaPata is essentially right about каникулы. While it has other uses (e.g. налоговые каникулы for, I believe, "tax holiday"), its primary use is for the regular school holidays. Отдых is the general word for "rest", but can also be used in the sense of "holiday". На отдыхе is a common way of saying "on holiday": for instance you can say "Она на отдыхе в Сочи" to make it clear that the person is taking a holiday in Sochi (as opposed to visiting the city for work or a family emergency). Отпуск is the usual word for "leave of absence". By itself it doesn't distinguish between paid or unpaid leave, but it is distinguished from regular days off (выходные) and national holidays (государственные праздники; праздник by itself can also refer to festivities that aren't formally recognized as grounds for letting employees take a day off).
Great explanation. I'd add that каникулы implies fixed dates and duration. It's also used a lot about the 7-10 days off work that most of the country gets in January (can also be used for May but майские праздники is more common - it's more ambiguous if you say новогодние праздники because the holiday season is roughly from Dec 25 to Jan 25 :lol:). An institution can also close for каникулы if it simply ceases operations for 2+ weeks in summer.

Also, the movie Roman holiday was translated as Римские каникулы, and it's still very common to use this for example as a hashtag or an online photo album title. So for example #римскиеканикулы has 145k instagram posts (and i'm not seeing anything about the movie), #испанскиеканикулы has 30k, even #венскиеканикулы and #финскиеканикулы are somewhat popular).
As an adult, it's weird to say you're going somewhere "на каникулы" but it's more okay to use this word with an adjective, especially somewhat ironically.

BTW каникулы is related to the expression "dog days".
4 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:27 pm

reineke wrote:In Russian, eggs fried this way are called глазунья.

How funny. This topic just came up at work about a month ago. I will never forget this word (although I don't eat the things...yuck) because of its etymology. Now when one of my colleagues buys a couple, I just see eyes looking at me!
2 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Esperanto, German, Croatian
Learns: Russian

Postby Radioclare » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:18 pm

I have learned more about eggs this week than I ever dreamed possible :lol:

What else have I learned this week? Erm... well, on the Russian front, I've finished the first disk of the Michel Thomas Advanced course. I think there are only four disks in the advanced course, so this is reasonable progress. It's taken me quite a long time though because I haven't listened very consistently, with the result that I've lost my place several times after charging my iPod and then relistened to the same bit a couple of times by mistake.

I finally finished chapter 8 of Colloquial Russian! This really felt like the chapter from hell. It's fair to say that my grasp of adjective endings is pretty hazy, particularly the dative/prepositional/instrumental. I think my brain still hasn't got over the disappointment of finding out that the dative and prepositional have different endings; Croatian has spoiled me :lol: I am very tempted to break out the Schaum's grammar but for now I'm managing to hold back, because I think it's better for me psychologically if I feel like I'm moving forwards.

I started chapter 9 this evening, which is called "Праздники" :) On first glance, chapter 9 looks like it's going to be a lot easier because the main grammar point is the future tense, although there is a section on dates and I struggle with dates in every language. I've spent an hour this evening putting all the chapter 9 vocabulary into Memrise so that I can learn it during the week.

Still working through Assimil, although my progress has slowed a bit. The active phase is hard! There was a nice thread on the forum this week about how different people use Assimil, which I found useful.

This isn't going to be a great week (a funeral to attend, an Esperanto trustee meeting, a heavy work schedule) so I feel it's going to be a genuine test of my new year resolutions.

In Croatian I've been keeping up a bit of Memrise every day and watched a few episodes of 'Zora Dubrovačka' to wind down on Friday night. Otherwise most of my non-Russian free time has still been spent planning my 2018 travels. Not everything is 100% planned yet but at the moment the year looks like this:

Early May - Malta (3 days) - Never been to Malta before so very excited about this. Maltese looks out of this world but I would like to learn how to pronounce the names of the places I want to go to so that I can buy bus tickets.
Late May - Lithuania (3 days) - Hopefully a relaxed trip, because I've been to Lithuania several times before. If I have time, I'd like to go through some of Pimsleur Lithuanian again, but not sure how realistic this is.
Early June - São Miguel, Azores (6 days) and Lisbon (2 days) - Going to leave it to my boyfriend to speak Portuguese :) But this trip gives me a good motivation to try and get fit to cope with the inevitable walking uphill. I swear there is no downhill in Portugal, only uphill :lol:
Early July - Bratislava to Ljubljana (16 days) - The itinerary isn't completely mapped out for this one, but it should be fun. I didn't specifically want to go to Bratislava, although it's a lovely place, but flights there were a lot cheaper than to Budapest (where I do want to go). Ideally I would like to spend a few days in Budapest and then move on to somewhere by Lake Balaton (which I visited 10 years ago as part of an Esperanto event, but don't remember very well because I went wine-tasting first...!), ending up in Slovenia via Croatia. If the logistics work, I would like to spend a day in Zagreb for the sake of the bookshops, and I'm hoping to be able to go to Varaždin (which I've visited in winter, but never in summer). Otherwise the main aim is to explore some of the lesser-known parts of Slovenia. The temptation to learn a little bit of Slovene is strong.
Late August - Finland (3 days) - Turku, and maybe Rauma. Definitely not learning Finnish!
September - Iceland (11 days) - This is going to be the trip of a lifetime, if for no other reason than that I can't afford to do it a second time :lol: It's the most expensive trip I've ever booked and every time I look at the bottom line of my holiday-costing spreadsheet I want to weep :lol:
October - TBC (9 days) - This is the unplanned bit at the moment, but I want to go somewhere warm and dry in October as Iceland will probably be wet and windy. Current options are southern Spain or Greece, with a decision being hampered by extreme lack of knowledge about Greece. Would a trip to Greece necessitate learning Greek? :? I'm sure I read an article once about a part of Greece where lots of people from Serbia go on holiday and the restaurants have Serbian menus, but I can't remember where it was.

My new song this week is called 'Za Ezru' by Tibor & Baš Čelik, who I think are from Banja Luka.

5 x

Daniel N.
Green Belt
Languages: Croatian (N), English (C1), German (beginner)

Postby Daniel N. » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:38 pm

Radioclare wrote:It's fair to say that my grasp of adjective endings is pretty hazy, particularly the dative/prepositional/instrumental.

It's interesting how often (standard) BCMS is presented as "complicated" (7 cases in singular and plural! 7 tenses! č, ć, đ! etc), while Russian is presented as a language with a somewhat simpler grammar, while it's actually the opposite. And Russian 'minor cases' get barely mentioned...
2 x
Check Easy Croatian (very useful for Bosnian, Montenegrin and Serbian as well)

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:13 pm

I hadn't truly appreciated what a beautifully simple language Croatian is until I started Russian :lol:

So, this week. As expected, it was a difficult one in places. Monday was the day I had a funeral to attend and I got very little language-learning done on that day, but subsequent days were more productive.

Croatian
Still plodding through the telenovela 'Zora dubrovačka'. On Friday I finished episode 118 out of 161 and to be honest I'm looking forward to getting to the end now so that I can try something new. The first half of the series was set during the homeland war, which added a bit of excitement to the plot. The second half is set in the mid-90s and so doesn't have any falling bombs to distract from the not very inspired plot. But given that I've watched so many episodes already, I want to push through to the end to confirm that everyone lives happily ever after :lol:

I'm keeping up with Croatian Memrise, even on my worst days, but haven't written anything in Croatian since I decided to stop writing every day. I'm progressing quite slowly with my intention to brush up on Croatian grammar, and have only just got the end of chapter 7 of the large BCS grammar textbook which I'm trying to re-read.

Russian
I finished Chapter 9 of Colloquial Russian, which makes me officially halfway through the textbook :) This chapter was primarily about the future tense and so it wasn't too difficult. Chapter 10 is going to be about verbs of motion, so I have a premonition that that is going to be less fun.

I've slowed right down with Assimil and have been failing to do a lesson every day, so I've currently finished 43 lessons passively and 8 actively. I don't feel like I'm doing very well with the active wave; I can't remember the dialogues very well (I assumed the aim wasn't to learn them by heart?) and so sometimes I'm writing things which aren't necessarily totally wrong but don't use the adjective the book was aiming for, for example.

The main success of this week was probably finishing the second disk of the Michel Thomas Advanced Russian course. I had quite a lot of travelling to clients last week, some of which involved a fair amount of walking to and from train stations, so I had plenty of opportunities to get through it. This disk covers some pretty difficult grammar (or at least, some grammar which was new to me, so felt difficult!) before switching to some really easy grammar (adjective endings in the nominative) so I have no idea what disk 3 is going to bring. Hopefully I'll get chance to start it over the course of the coming week.

General
We're two months into the new year already and on balance I feel like my language-learning is going well. I've kept up all of the things I decided I wanted to do at the start of the year in some form or another, even if I haven't managed to do every single thing every day. I've learned more Russian in the past two months than I managed to in the whole of 2016 and 2017 combined, so that is definitely a success. I definitely still have a very long way to go - and I really do hate this 'beginner' stage of a language that is all about trying to memorise rules - but at least I have made a start now, as opposed to thinking about making a start which was what I spent most of last year doing :lol:

I'm reading a novel in German at the moment, but don't seem to be succeeding in devoting much time to it, despite it being exciting ('Kolyma', a translation of Tom Rob Smith's 'The Secret Speech', which is the sequel to 'Child 44').

I'm still thinking about a week in Greece for October, but haven't made a decision. I tried reading a guidebook to Greece this afternoon, but it's a bit overwhelming to read a guidebook from cover to cover when it's a country you know almost nothing about.

I was intending to get involved in the Islandhoppers thread and write something in Croatian about nostalgia, which I thought was a great choice of theme, but so far I've failed. Instead, below is quite a sad song by the Bosnian band Zabranjeno Pušenje called "Jugo 45", which deals with nostalgia for life before the break-up of Yugoslavia. A rough translation of the lyrics into English is here.

4 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:14 pm

This week has been more difficult than I expected. A big issue at work with a very awkward client has taken up a lot of my time, motivation and energy. My boyfriend also unexpectedly needed to go abroad for a few days mid-week, which meant I was getting up earlier and getting home later because he's normally my taxi :lol:

The upshot of all this is that I haven't got through anywhere near as much stuff as I hoped, but to try and focus on the positives...

• I finally finished reading 'Kolyma' in German. It was a really exciting story, partly set in a Siberian gulag. I've now read two books in German this year.
  • I've almost - but not quite - finished the third disk of Michel Thomas Advanced Russian. It actually seems a bit easier than disk two. A lot of it seems to be devoted to explaining the accusative case, for example.
  • I've learned most - but again not all - of the new vocabulary in chapter 10 of 'Colloquial Russian' on Memrise. I've probably got another 20 words to go, which I should hopefully be able to get through tomorrow.
  • I've made progress with understanding the content of chapter 10, but I haven't done the exercises yet. The main grammar topic is verbs of motion and so I have spent most of the week trying to learn the new verbs and remember which verb out of a pair is which. I also realised that I was a bit weak on conjugating verbs, having devoted most of my energies so far to trying to master noun and adjective endings, so I started making a spreadsheet with the conjugations of all the verbs I've encountered in the book so far. I thought this would be a relatively simple undertaking, but I hugely underestimated how many verbs had been introduced in the first nine chapters :lol: Oh well, it was useful practice and in particular it has helped me to get my head around reflexive verbs, which was something I was struggling with beforehand :)

Less positive... I'm really not getting on very well with the active wave of Assimil so I keep procrastinating opening the book at all. I'm even starting to wonder whether I should give up with it. Well, whether I should give up with the active wave for now and keep pressing on with the passive wave. Or whether I should put it on hold and come back to it (maybe starting at the beginning again) when my Russian is a bit more advanced.

Otherwise my main news is that I have bitten the bullet and booked a week in Greece for October and now I'm scared that I'm going to need to learn Greek :lol: I spent most of today researching Greek public transport in an attempt to plan my itinerary and to be honest it seems like a complete nightmare. My guidebook, which is several years out-of-date, blithely refers to how easy it is to get from A to B by train, but then when I look it up I find that every train route which might have been useful was discontinued in 2011 or similar. The bus system seems very... erm... "Balkan"... except that the ticket prices seem Western European; not a winning combination :lol: It feels like planning bus travel in Montenegro about 5 years ago before they had the idea of putting bus timetables on the Internet so that people could, you know, actually look at them. Very few Greek timetable seem to be accessible online and so I have been reduced to reading Tripadvisor threads and pinning my hopes on the comments of random people who might have seen a bus somewhere five years ago... But it looks beautiful :) And the accommodation is absurdly affordable, at least in October and in the part of Greece I am going to. If I wanted to book the absolute cheapest hotel rooms available in my destinations, the cost would be on a par with Lithuania; that's how cheap it is :o So I've been able to afford to book slightly nicer rooms than I expected and still end up paying only half or even a third of what I'm paying for significantly inferior accommodation in Iceland :) And it's a long time until October, so by then I ought to be able to learn the Greek alphabet at least and hopefully the days of the week for reading bus timetables.

I'll leave you with the slightly bizarre new song - 'Ako želiš biti moja" (If you want to be mine) - by Psihomodo Pop.

3 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:01 pm

My wife has planned her spring break/discovery week for our girls, and the result is 9 days in Athens! My language- and classics-loving daughter immediately went to Duolingo and started Greek!

Enjoy your new language! ;)
1 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:40 pm

You appear to be one of those people who plan things. Just go on holiday and wing it!
1 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:10 pm

I don't like too much spontaneity - if I hadn't booked all my accommodation and figured out how I was travelling between destinations in advance, I would be too stressed out to leave home :lol:

For St Patrick's Day I thought I'd share the below song from the Croatian band, Belfast Food. It's called 'Šporki stari grad', ie. it's a Croatian translation of 'Dirty Old Town' :lol: At least, the first bit is in Croatian and somewhere in the middle they switch to the English lyrics instead :)

3 x

Return to “Language logs”