Radioclare's 2018 log (Croatian/Russian)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Esperanto, German, Croatian
Learns: Russian

Re: Radioclare's 2018 log (Croatian/Russian)

Postby Radioclare » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:15 pm

I have a question about eggs!

I was just doing some Memrise in Croatian and the course I was following gave me the phrase "jaje na oko". I was pretty confident that "jaje na oko" was Croatian for "fried egg". But the translation given in the course was a phrase which I have never heard before in my entire life: "egg over easy" :? I did a google image search for "egg over easy" and I'm getting pictures of things which look to me like fried eggs... is this the American term for a fried egg??? I'm starting to feel like maybe I need to add "American English" to the list of languages I'm learning in my log :lol:
3 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:18 pm

Radioclare wrote:I have a question about eggs!

I was just doing some Memrise in Croatian and the course I was following gave me the phrase "jaje na oko". I was pretty confident that "jaje na oko" was Croatian for "fried egg". But the translation given in the course was a phrase which I have never heard before in my entire life: "egg over easy" :? I did a google image search for "egg over easy" and I'm getting pictures of things which look to me like fried eggs... is this the American term for a fried egg??? I'm starting to feel like maybe I need to add "American English" to the list of languages I'm learning in my log :lol:

In the USA eggs are fried based on the runnyness of the egg whites. So you have:
Over easy - Really runny
Over medium - Slightly runny
Over hard - not runny at all
Sunny Side Up - which means never flipped over, just left until the whites are cooked.

There are other variations, the English don't bother with any of that. So yes, it is a fried egg.

EDIT:: I was a short order cook when I was young.
3 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Chung
Blue Belt
Languages: SPEAKS: English*, French
STUDIES: Hungarian, Italian
OTHER: Czech, German, Polish, Slovak, Ukrainian
STUDIED: Azeri, BCMS/SC, Estonian, Finnish, Korean, Latin, Northern Saami, Russian, Slovenian, Turkish
DABBLED: Bashkir, Chuvash, Crimean Tatar, Inari Saami, Kazakh, Kyrgyz, Latvian, Lithuanian, Meadow Mari, Mongolian, Romanian, Tatar, Turkmen, Tuvan, Uzbek

Postby Chung » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:20 pm

It's still a fried egg to me but "over easy" means that both sides are fried with one side ending up more fried than the other. On this side of the pond we can ask for "sunny side up" (fried on one side) or "over easy".
1 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:21 pm

"An egg cooked "over easy" means that it gets fried on both sides, but it's not cooked for very long on the second side, so the yolk doesn't get cooked through and stays runny."

"An egg cooked "sunny-side up" means that it is fried just on one side and never flipped. The yolk is still completely liquid and the whites on the surface are barely set."

https://www.thekitchn.com/whats-the-dif ... e-up-96069

Jaje na oko = "sunny-side up."
1 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:29 pm

Wow, thanks everyone for the quick responses!

I had no idea eggs could be so complicated :lol:

I have heard the phrase "sunny side up" but I wouldn't have known what it meant. And "over easy" is 100% new to me. At least I've learned something today, even if it wasn't the Russian adjective endings I was supposed to be studying :D
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:35 pm

Just for fun I thought I'd give you some of the short order slang we used to use back in the day. (At least one waitress always used to yell this at me, but I'm sure she was about 110 years old 30+ years ago.)

Adam & Eve on a raft and wreck ‘em: two scrambled eggs on toast
Adam & Eve on a raft: two poached eggs on toast
Adam & Eve on a log: two poached eggs with link sausage
Drop two: two poached eggs
Drown the kids: boiled eggs
Flop two: two fried eggs over easy
Flop two, over easy: fried eggs, flipped over carefully, with the yolk very runny
Flop two, over hard: fried eggs, flipped over, with the yolk solid all the way through
Flop two, over medium: fried eggs, flipped over, with the yolk beginning to solidify
3 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby reineke » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:45 pm

"Ispečem jaje na oko u masti i to onako da se zapeče sa obe strane."

Grozota koje neki takodjer zovu jaje na oko. "Sunny side up" is usually translated as "jaje na oko".

All Slavic languages: Sunny side up

In Russian, eggs fried this way are called глазунья (glazun'ya).

https://forum.wordreference.com/threads ... p.1290761/

jaje

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/jaje

"Jaje na oko" is sometimes translated differently:

Sarajevo: U restoranu jaja na oko preveli kao 'eggs on the eye'
https://dnevnik.hr/vijesti/zanimljivost ... 71723.html
Last edited by reineke on Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Chung
Blue Belt
Languages: SPEAKS: English*, French
STUDIES: Hungarian, Italian
OTHER: Czech, German, Polish, Slovak, Ukrainian
STUDIED: Azeri, BCMS/SC, Estonian, Finnish, Korean, Latin, Northern Saami, Russian, Slovenian, Turkish
DABBLED: Bashkir, Chuvash, Crimean Tatar, Inari Saami, Kazakh, Kyrgyz, Latvian, Lithuanian, Meadow Mari, Mongolian, Romanian, Tatar, Turkmen, Tuvan, Uzbek

Postby Chung » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:56 pm

Radioclare wrote:Wow, thanks everyone for the quick responses!

I had no idea eggs could be so complicated :lol:

I have heard the phrase "sunny side up" but I wouldn't have known what it meant. And "over easy" is 100% new to me. At least I've learned something today, even if it wasn't the Russian adjective endings I was supposed to be studying :D

*ahem* We'll have you know that we take our eggs very seriously around here. Eggs Benedict, Denver omelette, ham and eggs, egg McMuffin...
2 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:32 pm

Egg McMuffin! At last a type of egg I understand :lol:

rdearman - that list has blown my mind! If I heard a waitress shouting any of those things I would think I'd stepped into some sort of parallel universe where eggs were no longer eggs...!
1 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby reineke » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:15 pm

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/201709 ... h-language

"It’s often pointed out that plenty of these Americanisms were British English to begin with – we exported them, then imported them back. A commonly made case in point is ‘I guess’, which crops up in Chaucer. When Dr Johnson compiled his seminal 1755 dictionary, ‘gotten’ was still in use as a past participle of ‘get’. But as Engel points out, good old English is not good new English. Moreover, his beef isn’t really to do with authenticity; it’s more to do with our unthinking complicity. Because it’s not just the cookies and the closets, or even the garbage, it’s the insidiousness of it all. We’ve already reached the point where most of us can no longer tell whether a word is an Americanism or not. By 2120, he suggests, American English will have absorbed the British version entirely. As he puts it, “The child will have eaten its mother, but only because the mother insisted”.

"None of this would matter if these imported words were augmenting our existing vocabulary. It’s impossible to have too many words, right? But like some hoity-toity club, language seems to operate on a one-in, one-out basis.

Engel quotes researchers behind 2014’s Spoken British National Corpus, who found that the word ‘awesome’ is now used in conversation 72 times per million words. Marvellous, meanwhile, is used just twice per million – down from 155 times a mere 20 years earlier."
2 x

Return to “Language logs”