CarlyD's 2018/2019 German log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
SGP
Blue Belt
Languages: DE (native), EN (C2), ES (B2), FR (B2); some more at various levels
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 30#p120230

Re: CarlyD's 2018/2019 German log

Postby SGP » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:02 pm

CarlyD wrote:And my German. I've seen blogs and posts talking about "finding time for language" when you just don't have enough time. But what about when you have time but your mind is totally distracted? I don't think I've ever seen that come up before.
Been there many times (summa summarum, as the years and even decades passed). Every situation is different of course, but approaches like these might be worth to consider, and they worked for me (at least sometimes):

- Doing some easy things that don't require too much attention, like learning several basic words. Because that is "besser als nichts" (i.e. better than nothing).

- Simply starting without thinking of the distracted mind too much. If the learning activity is interesting enough to rekindle one's undistractedness ;), then it just might cause it to fade away.

- Continuing to even learn something that is "more advanced stuff", even if the mind still is wandering a bit. It's not that being somewhat distracted automatically would cause anyone to be unable to learn just anything new. Yes, it does reduce the possible Grand Total. But again, it still can be "viel besser als nichts".
3 x
Previously known as SGP. But my mental username now is langmon.

Log

CarlyD
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish--A2, German--now studying, A2

Postby CarlyD » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:14 pm

Thanks, SGP.

Yes, so reviews, and move on even if it doesn't stick. That makes sense. I can always plan new stuff and then plan to review it sooner than I normally would.

Hopefully everything will be back to normal next week, so maybe I'll just end up repeating a week's worth.
1 x
2024 15,000 pages Reading Challenge--pages: 1180 / 15000

CarlyD
Blue Belt

Postby CarlyD » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:00 pm

Ok, there's nothing to make you feel better than shopping Amazon like a drunken sailor 3 days before payday. :D

I want:

A Practical Dictionary of German Usage, by K. B. Beaton. Amazon's price $401.00 Yeah, no. I checked all my regulars--Book Depository, Thrift Books, Better World Books and eBay. A bit lower, but still no. :x

I got for free with a gift card:

Mastering German Vocabulary, by Donaldson
Dictionary of German Synonyms, by Farrell

I found on eBay for super cheap:

Using German Vocabulary, by Fagan
Using German, by Martin Durrell ($48 on Amazon, $4 on eBay)
Using German Synonyms, by Martin Durrell ($49 on Amazon, $17 on eBay)

I forget which book I was looking at that they wanted over $600 for. Why do people do that? I think when I hit various yard and book sales and see books like this for a few dollars, I'm going to get them and offer them on eBay for like $10.

In fact, we've been talking in this group about sharing language books for years, but it's never happened. We need to do that.
1 x

CarlyD
Blue Belt

Postby CarlyD » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:08 pm

So we all got an email from Benny Lewis apologizing for bailing on the Language Bootcamp--and a reminder that refunds were only possible in the first 30 days. Yeah, keep it classy, Benny. Then he posted that he would do better and there would be 2 Bootcamps in February. But most of the possible dates that we voted on have already passed with no word from him, except for his social media posts about how much fun he's having. I guess I'm just writing off my fees paid as a donation to his life style. :P

I'm still doing fine on the group 365 Challenge as it's only 30 minutes a day. But my personal 365 Challenge, where I made actual progress every day for the year--it's so not happening. I'm barely doing the 6 Week Challenge right now--still in, but pitiful. Oh, well.

I need momentum. Or enthusiasm. Or maybe a good bribe. :D
5 x

Cèid Donn
Blue Belt
Languages: en-us (n); français, gàidhlig, gaeilge, cymraeg, brezhoneg, español

Postby Cèid Donn » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:28 pm

!!!

Well, I hope Benny comes through for you folks. That sort of thing isn't a good look for his business. (Admittedly, it just renews my own resolve to never give any of these professional polyglots my money.)

But my personal 365 Challenge, where I made actual progress every day for the year--it's so not happening.

That seems like a pretty difficult challenge for anyone at any level, to be honest. We're not machines, neither our brains or our lives are the same from day to day, and some days the best we can do is not go backwards. And that is OK. Or as I like to say, treading water is better than sinking. ;)
5 x
Note from an educator and former ESL/test skills tutor: Any learner, including self-learners, can use the CEFR for self-assessment. The CEFR is for helping learners progress and not for gatekeeping and bullying.

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:35 am

Wow, that’s really shocking. How long was the boot camp meant to be?
0 x
Corrections appreciated.

CarlyD
Blue Belt

Postby CarlyD » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:24 pm

MamaPata wrote:Wow, that’s really shocking. How long was the boot camp meant to be?

It was set for 12 weeks, starting the 1st of December. We've had I think 3 so far, with a couple "I'm hanging around for an hour if anyone wants to ask questions." Plus the 2nd and 3rd Bootcamps were more than a little disjointed and not well planned.

The last I heard he's talking about releasing his Language Hacking books in a few more languages, so I guess that's the priority. The books are ok, so that's probably good--he only has three editions right now, Spanish, French and German. A Russian one would be nice.
0 x

CarlyD
Blue Belt

Postby CarlyD » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:28 pm

Cèid Donn wrote:That seems like a pretty difficult challenge for anyone at any level, to be honest. We're not machines, neither our brains or our lives are the same from day to day, and some days the best we can do is not go backwards. And that is OK. Or as I like to say, treading water is better than sinking. ;)

I have no problem with the treading waters days--I call them review days.

My problem is when there are way more review days than learning days--but that's totally on me and letting other things take over.
0 x

luke
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N). Spanish (intermediate), Esperanto (B1), French (intermediate but rusting)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16948

Re: CarlyD's 2018 German log

Postby luke » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:36 pm

CarlyD wrote:When you're walking down the street or waiting in line, describe everything you see. "That man in the blue shirt is walking behind the woman in the green dress." Everything.

The book I'm reading right now "Language Logic" is very interesting and although only part way through, I've seen two things that I want to incorporate.

2. Using your dictionary. For Spanish/English--when you look up a word in English, place a mark next to the word to tell yourself later that you've looked it up.

I tried her method during Spanish and how it works best for me is a checkmark in pencil when I look up the word, and any word that gets transferred to a flashcard is underlined in orange. Any word that needs a 2nd or 3rd checkmark obviously needs to be on a flashcard.

Robin Matthew's book looks interesting. Trying to find something to get to "free shipping" and was wondering if anyone here had read it, which led me to your post.

Hope things are well with you :)
0 x

Return to “Language logs”