CarlyD's 2018/2019 German log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
CarlyD
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish--A2, German--now studying, A2

CarlyD's 2018/2019 German log

Postby CarlyD » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:55 am

My other log, lost in time, was almost all Spanish--so new year, new log.

My initial goal for January is to use Memrise and Duolingo every day and work on conversation and my textbook.

I've been getting a lot of emails about the add1 Challenge from Benny Lewis that's supposed to be starting in January. It sounds like a support group kind of thing--but a bit better because they're supposed to be evenly matched to language and level. But I have a feeling that it won't be free. I'll wait and see.

In the meantime, off to do Memrise and Duolingo.
Last edited by CarlyD on Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
2024 15,000 pages Reading Challenge--pages: 1180 / 15000

CarlyD
Blue Belt

Re: CarlyD's 2018 German log

Postby CarlyD » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:30 pm

Just looked, and I apparently stopped German in early 2015 to return to Spanish--no wonder I'd forgotten so much. Working on reviewing from scratch on Memrise and Duolingo, planning to be up to full speed by the 6 Week Challenge.

Plan for Jan: 60 to 70 XP a day and at least 5 minutes each of 7 classes on Memrise. Plus restart my German textbook and review the first chapters again. And listening. Lots of listening.

I finished my review this morning and went to do my banking. It wouldn't recognize my password. Stupid bank. Had to change it, and half hour later realized I was still in German-keyboard mode. Then what did I change my password to? I had to open a Word document and type it in to see what symbols I'd typed. Nobody will ever figure that one out.

Now I need to find a bunch of Youtube videos to listen to--I know of Deutsch für Euch, but I'm sure there's a ton more that have easy conversation for practice.
6 x

Spoonary
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Español (Adv), Italiano (Int), Esperanto (I try)

Postby Spoonary » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:04 pm

CarlyD wrote:Now I need to find a bunch of Youtube videos to listen to--I know of Deutsch für Euch, but I'm sure there's a ton more that have easy conversation for practice.

Have you tried Authentic German Learning? I am not sure how good it is because it's a bit above my current level, but it may be of some use to you. Sorry I don't have a link, I'm writing from my mobile phone.
1 x

CarlyD
Blue Belt

Postby CarlyD » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:16 pm

Thanks, Spoonary--I'm going to take a look at it today.

Today is the opening of Benny Lewis' Add1 Challenge. I'm debating on whether to do it or not. I'm leaning towards it. 90 days, which would fall within our February 6 Week Challenge.

Update: I just joined the Add1 Challenge--January 15th to April 15th. I have to make and upload 4 videos, the original application one, then 3 in German. Scary. Not least of which is figuring out how to make and upload a video.
1 x

CarlyD
Blue Belt

Postby CarlyD » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:30 am

I did sign up for the Add1 Challenge on the 2nd. Then I got all information that I wished I'd had before signing up and cancelled it on the 3rd. I had the impression--it was never mentioned--that they had a class website like all the online classes I've taken. However, it's set up so that you post all your videos, whether in English or your target language as public videos on youtube and all the support comments are on their Facebook page. You're required as part of the class to post support comments--I remember that requirement from online classes and I did my posts to get the points, not to be helpful. I guess I expected too much.

I'm almost done with my review week--I've caught up all my Memrise classes (7) and am learning new words. I had to re-do all of my Duolingo because they've made so many changes and updates since 2015. It's ok, but I can't imagine using just Duolingo--although they do seem to have a lot more grammar notes than they used to.
4 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:50 am

CarlyD wrote:I did sign up for the Add1 Challenge on the 2nd. Then I got all information that I wished I'd had before signing up and cancelled it on the 3rd. I had the impression--it was never mentioned--that they had a class website like all the online classes I've taken. However, it's set up so that you post all your videos, whether in English or your target language as public videos on youtube and all the support comments are on their Facebook page. You're required as part of the class to post support comments--I remember that requirement from online classes and I did my posts to get the points, not to be helpful. I guess I expected too much.

I had a look at doing it too and felt that they weren't beung very transparent about what was actually involved. Even just finding a price, you had to click to enrol.
3 x
Corrections appreciated.

CarlyD
Blue Belt

Postby CarlyD » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:54 pm

After reading the thread about Language Logs, I'm feeling a bit of Log Inadequacy here. :D

I did cancel the Language Add1 Challenge on the 3rd. But I was just notified that I've been thrown out for failing to upload my video to Youtube. So it goes. I went back to the page and waaaaaay down on the bottom of a link it says "don't sign up for this challenge if....." and "you don't want to upload videos to youtube" was listed. Would have been nice if it were on the top of the page.

I'm starting the Goldlist 70 day Challenge tomorrow. I actually started yesterday just to see if I would like it. I don't think I'm going to be doing it exactly like they want--my current list is words I'm working on right now, so I won't be writing them down and ignoring them for 2 weeks. But reviewing them every 2 weeks after that I think will work out great.

I took a class a long time ago from Bilingual America--great classes but super expensive. (Job related, so it was deductible.) The teacher was very big on "10 times" in everything you did. He had check boxes on everything--here's your vocabulary list, and review it 10 times, checking it off each time you complete it. Here's your sentences, with 10 check boxes. Then when you moved to the next chapter, after you checked off that chapter's vocabulary 10 times, you were supposed to go back to the previous chapter and review it again. If you were finishing chapter 8, you then went back and reviewed the words and sentences from chapter 7 four times, chapter 6 three times, chapter 5 two times and chapter 4 one time.

I only took the one class from them but I swear every word I learned there I've never forgotten.

I think when I moved to German I forgot about that and have moved through chapters and vocabulary and then wondered why it wasn't "sticking." Well, between the Goldlist and reviewing vocabulary every 2 weeks and using the other method and constantly reviewing previous work, I think I'll do better this time. I've already started it with Duolingo--each time I do a module, I'm going back and redoing a previous one--over and over again. Some of the words and phrases are nearly automatic now. Except for Herzlichen Glückwunsch!--that one will be the death of me.
5 x

neuroascetic
White Belt
Languages: Native: English
Learning: German
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... hp?p=92431

Postby neuroascetic » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:10 am

CarlyD wrote:...when you moved to the next chapter, after you checked off that chapter's vocabulary 10 times, you were supposed to go back to the previous chapter and review it again. If you were finishing chapter 8, you then went back and reviewed the words and sentences from chapter 7 four times, chapter 6 three times, chapter 5 two times and chapter 4 one time.

That's a practical way to use spaced repetition in a classroom setting. I like it.
3 x

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Postby Xenops » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:43 am

Welcome the Log Inadequacy club. :lol: A comment on someone else's log made me question myself.

I'm not sure if you had heard of it, but are you familiar with Deutche Welle? They have *free* German resources (when I move to German, I'll make liberal use of it).

http://www.dw.com/en/learn-german/s-2469
1 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

CarlyD
Blue Belt

Postby CarlyD » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:20 am

Xenops wrote:Welcome the Log Inadequacy club. :lol: A comment on someone else's log made me question myself.

I'm not sure if you had heard of it, but are you familiar with Deutche Welle? They have *free* German resources (when I move to German, I'll make liberal use of it).

http://www.dw.com/en/learn-german/s-2469

Thank you--I saw that site a long time ago and had forgotten about it.
1 x

Return to “Language logs”