Amerykanka's Adventures - A New Hope (ES, PL, RU)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Amerykanka
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (advanced), Latin (advanced), Ancient Greek (advanced), Polish (basic fluency); Italian (beginner), Russian (beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=745

Re: Amerykanka's Adventures - A New Hope

Postby Amerykanka » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:29 am

Let's see. What did I do today?

Spanish
Escuché un episodio del podcast "Radio Ambulante" por la mañana mientras montaba en bicicleta en el gimnasio. Se trataba de un periodista (español, si mal no recuerdo) que se mudó a Honduras y terminó por denunciar la corrupción policiaca. Hace varios años que no escucho "Radio Ambulante" (prefiero "Buenos Días América", es mi manera principal de estar al tanto de las noticias), pero debo hacerlo con más frecuencia. Los acentos suelen ser difíciles de entender y hay que practicar.

Otras cosas . . . pues repasé vocabulario en Anki, pero voy perdiendo la guerra de flashcards. Quizás sea el momento de recurrir a métodos más drásticos ya que me quedan unas cinco mil palabras y expresiones para repasar. :( (Y ahora, ¡a inventar métodos drásticos! O rezar por un milagro.)

Polish
Uf, trochę się odzwyczaiłam od pisania po polsku. Co zrobiłam dziś? Posłuchałam dwóch odcinków "Co w mowie piszczy", to naprawdę świetny podcast - chciałabym dodać więcej szczegółów, ale na mnie już czas. Więc tylko powiem, że też przeczytałam kilka stron Nad Niemnem.
4 x
Siempre agradezco las correcciones. ¡Envíame un PM si notas algo incorrecto!

Amerykanka
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (advanced), Latin (advanced), Ancient Greek (advanced), Polish (basic fluency); Italian (beginner), Russian (beginner)

Postby Amerykanka » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:38 am

Not much to report, except for flashcards and podcasts. And of course I tutor Spanish, so I get a bit of grammar practice by explaining it to students. Every now and then I get an advanced conversation student who actually speaks Spanish to a decent level, and then I have some fun, but usually it is just imperfect vs. preterite and por/para all the time. Not that I mind - I love teaching - but it doesn't really help me to improve much.

I also spent an inordinate amount of time last night adding new flashcards to my Russian decks. Don't you love the beginning stage of learning a language, when you don't know how to say anything and you are continually thinking of new words that you can have the pleasure of looking up?

Now, alas, homework. Of course, in my case, homework means translating Euripides, but still . . .

EDIT: Perhaps I am jinxing this by posting about it too soon, but I am hoping to spend a month in Poland this summer. I'd like to do one of the Uniwersytet Jagiellonski's summer programs - it seems like a good way to brush up on my language skills and learn more about Polish history and literature. I was assessing the financial side of things this morning, and it just might be possible! Fingers crossed. :D
0 x

Amerykanka
Yellow Belt

Postby Amerykanka » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:47 pm

After a bout of the flu or severe allergies or something, I am now capable of returning to normal life.

Spanish
Parece que enfermarse no es ideal para los estudios. ¿Quién lo habrá pensado? De todos modos ya estoy de vuelta (solo me duele un poquito la cabeza) y lista para empezar un libro nuevo. Tras mucha vacilación he escogido El amor en los tiempos de cólera de Gabriel García Márquez y leí las primeras páginas ayer. Hace tres o cuatro años que no leo ninguna obra suya y se me había olvidado cuán difícil puede ser su estilo y vocabulario.

Bueno, y quizás la situación de Anki no sea tan desastrosa - mis generales me informan que ya hemos derrotado unos 1500 mil soldados y solo nos quedan unos 3500. Pero todavía es muy temprano para hablar de victoria.

Polish
Ah yes. Being sick (and not being able to go to the gym and listen to my Polish audio) has really messed me up. But, on the bright side, I am now 99% sure that I am going to Poland this summer.

Russian
I now know my numbers (1-10), colors, and articles of clothing. And I have finished the first four lessons of The New Penguin Russian Course; I am just adding the rest of the vocabulary to Anki (I am supposed to be doing that right now, actually, instead of writing this post :? ). So far it hasn't been very hard - I am getting used to the alphabet, and the main thing is WHY ISN'T THERE A CONSTANT STRESS PATTERN???? I have been so spoiled with languages like Polish, Latin, Ancient Greek, and Spanish where stress is predictable or else marked. It is hardest for me in words like вино and улица where everything in me rebels and wants to put the accent on the second-to-last syllable. Hmm, whenever I actually get a chance to speak Russian to someone it will be interesting to see if they think I have an American accent or a Polish one . . .
3 x

Amerykanka
Yellow Belt

Postby Amerykanka » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:56 pm

Piękna polska piosenka ludowa :)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OZDJHrWVC60

Słowa:

Czerwone jagody
Wpadają do wody
Powiadają ludzie
Że nie mam urody .

Urodo, urodo
Gdybym ja cię miała
Miałabym ja chłopca
Jakiego bym chciała x2

Lecz mi matuś rzekła
Córuś moja droga
Przecież masz majątek
Na co ci uroda

Urodo, urodo
Gdybym ja cię miała
Miałabym ja chłopca
Jakiego bym chciała x2

Bo ta urodziwa
Nie jest pracowita
Czy to gospodyni
Panna czy kobita

Choć urody nie mam
O to się nie troszczę
wszystkim urodziwym
wcale nie zazdroszczę

Choć urody nie mam
ale czyste serce
przecież jakiś chłopak
za żonę mnie zechce

Urodo, urodo
Gdybym ja cię miała
Miałabym ja chłopca
Jakiego bym chciała x2

Czerwone jagody
spadają do wody
powiadają ludzie
że nie mam urody

Urodo, urodo
Gdybym ja cię miała
Miałabym ja chłopca
Jakiego bym chciała x2

Przepadam za muzyką ludową wszelkiego rodzaju - po prostu jest tak śliczna i wesoła. Proszę nie zwracać uwagi na seksistowskie podteksty.

EDIT: Grr, why can't I get the YouTube thing to work??
1 x

Amerykanka
Yellow Belt

Postby Amerykanka » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:12 pm

I am supposed to be studying for my ancient history comps which is why, of course, I have been working on an annotated bibliography, reading an economics textbook (!), and, now, browsing this forum and wishing I had time to sit down and do all the marvelous language things that are in my head.

I don't have time to do a proper update, so instead I will mention what a source of amusement/bewilderment I probably am to my Russian professor and to my fellow classmates. So, I don't know if I mentioned that I am enrolled in a Russian course (First-Year Russian I, yay!). I decided to take the class NOT because I thought it would teach me much (beginning languages courses :roll:) but because it would free up time in my schedule that I would otherwise have to spend studying for some other, more difficult course. And then, of course, I now have an actual, legitimate excuse to study Russian on my own. The upside is that - yay! - I am now learning Russian. The downside is that I have to sit through extremely slow explanations of what cases are and listen to everyone getting mixed up about verb agreement that feels instinctive to me.

So, I did tell my professor that I spoke Polish, but he still seems shocked whenever I know something I shouldn't. He introduces new words - окно, почта, etc. - and there I am, guessing "window", "post office", etc. without a second thought. And then he will say собака and look at me expectantly (such an easy word, right, surely she will know it . . .), and I'll just shrug like "Sorry, cognate failure here!"
2 x

Amerykanka
Yellow Belt

Postby Amerykanka » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:44 pm

Procrastination is still in full swing. But now I can say that I have less than 1,500 reviews due tomorrow in my main Spanish Anki deck - this is major progress, considering that I was at 5,000+ about two weeks ago.

Now I am feeling sick again. (What is going on??? I thought I was better!!!) Time for a nap.
1 x

Amerykanka
Yellow Belt

Re: Amerykanka's Adventures - A New Hope (ES, PL, RU)

Postby Amerykanka » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:39 am

I promise, I have not abandoned my log again! I am determined to keep it up this time. In some distant past, back when I was in high school, I think I did actually have a log going steadily on HTLAL for over a year. Alas for those bygone days of (comparative) freedom.

In any case, I haven't posted in a while mostly because I haven't been satisfied with my progress. I got sick again (grr!) and then was out of town for a few days, and this effectively messed up my plans. But now I have returned, reinvigorated by my anger.

I HATE RUSSIAN VERBS.

There appear to be serious disadvantages to learning Russian after Polish. One of them is losing one's temper whenever the Russian past tense is mentioned. I mean, come on! Four endings??!! Is that all??!! Where are my thirteen beautiful Polish endings? Something within me cries out in agony every time I am required to say something like "Я говорнла ро-рольски". I feel like I am committing some sort of horrible grammatical crime.

Other than the past tense debacle, Russian has been going quite well and I am enjoying it a lot. I am now capable of short sentences:

Привет! Меня зовут Ревекка и я живу в Америке. Я изучаю русский язык в университете. У меня есть синий учебник и маленький словарь.

Very limited, but better than nothing.
3 x

vonPeterhof
Orange Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (C2), Japanese (~C1), German (~B2), Kazakh (~B1), Norwegian (~A2)
Reading only: Belarusian, Ukrainian, French, Nogai, Portuguese
Studying daily: Dari, Estonian, Spanish
Studying weekly/on-and-off: Old Japanese, Latin, Old Norse, Ancient Greek, Arabic, Avar, German, French
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1237

Postby vonPeterhof » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:17 am

Amerykanka wrote:Although I must say, all the "sh" and "ch" sounds are confusing me. I can't tell if they are equivalent to hard or soft sounds (are we talking about Polish sz and cz or ś and ć? Or both?). Щ is especially problematic, because the Polish websites I have looked at say the sound is szcz, but my English textbook says it is like "fresh sherbet". If anyone could offer some input, I would be very grateful. :)

Sorry, I only just came across this post, so I'm not sure if my input is still needed. Basically, ш, ч and щ are roughly etymologically equivalent to sz, cz and szcz, respectively, but it's only the first sound of the three that's pronounced more or less identically to its Polish counterpart. The pronunciations of ч and щ are closer to ć and śś, respectively. The latter is traditionally transliterated as "shch", and it can be pronounced as ść or even szcz for effect or emphasis, but otherwise those are pretty much obsolete pronunciations in both standard Russian and most people's colloquial varieties.
2 x

MamaPata
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B1), Spanish (A2), Russian (low B1), Latin (A2 once upon a time!), Arabic (abandoned)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:05 am

You and I have very different problems with Russian verbs! :lol:
1 x
SC French Hours: 161 / 225 SC French Pages: 5085 / 7500
SC Russian Hours: 70 / 150 SC Russian Pages: 1263 / 5000
Output Challenge: 12100 / 50000

Amerykanka
Yellow Belt

Postby Amerykanka » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:21 pm

vonPeterhof wrote:
Amerykanka wrote:Although I must say, all the "sh" and "ch" sounds are confusing me. I can't tell if they are equivalent to hard or soft sounds (are we talking about Polish sz and cz or ś and ć? Or both?). Щ is especially problematic, because the Polish websites I have looked at say the sound is szcz, but my English textbook says it is like "fresh sherbet". If anyone could offer some input, I would be very grateful. :)

Sorry, I only just came across this post, so I'm not sure if my input is still needed. Basically, ш, ч and щ are roughly etymologically equivalent to sz, cz and szcz, respectively, but it's only the first sound of the three that's pronounced more or less identically to its Polish counterpart. The pronunciations of ч and щ are closer to ć and śś, respectively. The latter is traditionally transliterated as "shch", and it can be pronounced as ść or even szcz for effect or emphasis, but otherwise those are pretty much obsolete pronunciations in both standard Russian and most people's colloquial varieties.

Thank you - this is very helpful! Also very interesting. At some point, once I know more Russian, I really need to learn more about the history of Slavic languages.

MamaPata wrote:You and I have very different problems with Russian verbs! :lol:

Haha, I'm sure I will have other problems as I go along!
0 x

Return to “Language logs”