My korean adventure: fun and enjoyment as a guide

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
ロータス
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Mandarin (HSK 2/TOCFL 1), Korean (Beg)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8177

Re: My korean adventure: fun and enjoyment as a guide

Postby ロータス » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:38 pm

AndyMeg wrote:1) Writing the first draft of a novel in english.
2) Learning some chinese .

I think I'll make a new log for these two activities and I'll update this post to add a link.

I won't completely disconnect from korean: I'll continue to watch korean TV with or without subs. ;)

Finally trying the big three: JP, KR, ZH. Welcome to the club. Enjoy how much of a breeze ZH is lol
1 x
Reading in one language
步伐多慢无关紧要,只要你坚持不懈。
~Confucius

AndyMeg
Green Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2-C1), Japanese (A2-B1), Korean (Beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7431

Postby AndyMeg » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:41 pm

Hello!

I'm officially coming back to learning korean!!!

On February I'll be going back to my weekly korean classes so, during January, I'll try to catch up with the classes I've missed so far (about six clases I think, because they also took a one and a half month long break) plus the classes I'll miss this month.

Learning chinese during my break from korean has been a really fun and interesting adventure. I've been progressing faster than I initially expected and I want to see how far I can go this year. As chinese is my "newest" language (I'm studying it mainly in the written form) my current knowledge is not as solid as the bits of knowledge I currently have in korean, so I decided to keep learning both languages during this year but spend more time learning chinese than korean. I think the proportion will be something like 70% of my time for chinese and 30% of my time for korean, but these percentages may change during the course of the year.

My experiments with chinese also gave me new ideas about how to learn korean this year. I've decided to continue this log instead of starting a new one because I will still be following the approach of "fun and enjoyment as a guide". But now I'll try to take it a step further and look for activities that are not just fun but actually very compelling to me. For now I plan to start with these three activities and see how it goes:

1) Rewatch k-dramas with korean subs. I'll try to pay attention to the subs, but I want to have more of an extensive approach here, so I won't be pausing at each and every line and instead I'll just read whatever I'm able to read and understand whatever I'm able to understand without pausing the video. There may be exceptions to this "no-pausing the video" approach, but they will be exceptions and not the rule.

I decided to rewatch old dramas because this way I will have a better idea of the general plot and I won't get lost. Later, when I'm better at korean, I may try to do this with new dramas.

I decided to start with My Love From the Star (별에서 온 그대). This is a drama for which I had already watched the first episodes with english subs. I don't remember why I stopped watching it (I probably got busy and then forgot to go back to it), but I want to finish it. My current plan is to rewatch the drama with korean subs up to the point I had left it before, then I'll have to decide if I continue with korean subs or change to english subs.

My idea is to always being watching a k-drama with korean subs so, if I start to watch the rest of this drama with english subs, I'll look for another drama (that I had already watched) to start watching it with korean subs.

Besides this, I'll just continue watching korean TV with and without english subs (and listening to korean songs) as I feel like it (I continued to do this even during my break from "officially" learning korean).

2) I'll continue reading a korean webtoon that I had started to read a long time ago. I stopped when I was at chapter 2, so there's not much to re-read before "officially" continuing where I left.

This willl be my approach:

1. See the main image and the surrounding images.
2. Read a line in korean and try to guess its meaning without the use of additional tools.
3. After trying to guess the meaning, then put that line on "Google Translator" and compare the english translation to my initial guess and try to divide the sentence into parts and match those parts with the korean line.
4. If the translation from Google didn't make the korean line comprehensible enough (this usually happens with some slang, for example), then look for key words or parts on the internet and read about it (sites like italki or HiNative tend to be really useful for solving these doubts)
5. Move on to the next line and repeat the process.

NOTE: For now I'll just try to get the gist of each line and move on. Later, when I'm already at a level where I can easily get the gist of things, I'll move on to try to get a more precise understanding.

3) Read and understand the grammar points with 5, 4 and 3 stars from the book "Essential Korean Grammar" by Laura Kingdon.

★★★★★ Critical; with only the five-star expressions, you can communicate almost everything you need to say, and without them you’ll have trouble understanding any more than the most basic of sentences.
★★★★ Very helpful; you should learn this if you want to communicate well in Korean
★★★ Useful, fairly common, and will help you sound more natural and fluent
★★ Not that important; grammar only the TOPIK (Test of Proficiency in Korean) people care about
★ Don’t worry about this unless there’s some reason you need to know it

Expressions are also rated according to whether or not they’re used more in speaking or in writing.

The expression is:
Speaking > Writing used more often in speaking than in writing
Speaking < Writing used more often in writing than in speaking
Speaking = Writing used as often in writing as in speaking
Speaking used only in speaking
Writing used only in writing

I'll keep the korean log and the chinese log apart for now. If you want to check out my chinese log here is a link: A bit of chinese and a novel draft in english
Last edited by AndyMeg on Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
: 2232 / 18000 korean videos without subs (minutes) :
: 13 / 45 Hanzi/Kanji Radicals (groups of 5 each):
: 61 / 95 Chinese Grammar Wiki - A2 level :

ロータス
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Mandarin (HSK 2/TOCFL 1), Korean (Beg)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8177

Postby ロータス » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:36 pm

I recommend Papago over Google Translate
1 x
Reading in one language
步伐多慢无关紧要,只要你坚持不懈。
~Confucius

AndyMeg
Green Belt

Postby AndyMeg » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:01 pm

ロータス wrote:I recommend Papago over Google Translate

I'll use Papago then. Thanks!!! :D
0 x

AndyMeg
Green Belt

Postby AndyMeg » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:06 pm

Trying to balance korean and chinese is a bit hard at the moment. So I decided to cut most of my korean activities.

I still plan to go back to my weekly korean classes on February. But, besides the classes, for the next few months I think I'll only be doing activity number 1:

1) Rewatch k-dramas with korean subs. I'll try to pay attention to the subs, but I want to have more of an extensive approach here, so I won't be pausing at each and every line and instead I'll just read whatever I'm able to read and understand whatever I'm able to understand without pausing the video. There may be exceptions to this "no-pausing the video" approach, but they will be exceptions and not the rule.

I decided to rewatch old dramas because this way I will have a better idea of the general plot and I won't get lost. Later, when I'm better at korean, I may try to do this with new dramas.

I decided to start with My Love From the Star (별에서 온 그대). This is a drama for which I had already watched the first episodes with english subs. I don't remember why I stopped watching it (I probably got busy and then forgot to go back to it), but I want to finish it. My current plan is to rewatch the drama with korean subs up to the point I had left it before, then I'll have to decide if I continue with korean subs or change to english subs.

My idea is to always being watching a k-drama with korean subs so, if I start to watch the rest of this drama with english subs, I'll look for another drama (that I had already watched) to start watching it with korean subs.

Besides this, I'll just continue watching korean TV with and without english subs (and listening to korean songs) as I feel like it (I continued to do this even during my break from "officially" learning korean).

I've currently rewatched (with korean subs) up to episode 4 of "My Love From the Star (별에서 온 그대)".

I enjoy this activity a lot and for now it doesn't seem to conflict with my chinese learning journey. :D
2 x

Return to “Language logs”