My korean adventure: fun and enjoyment as a guide

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Bex
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 77#p157977

Re: My korean adventure: fun and enjoyment as a guide

Postby Bex » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:23 am

Nice results in the vocab quiz, well done.

And thanks for the manga suggestions.
1 x
Kwiziq
A0: 100 / 100
A1: 100 / 100
A2: 100 / 100
B1: 91 / 100
B2: 53 / 100

AndyMeg
Blue Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2-C1), Japanese (A2-B1), Korean (Lower Intermediate?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 02#p201902

Postby AndyMeg » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:25 pm

Bex wrote:Nice results in the vocab quiz, well done.

Thanks! :D

Bex wrote:And thanks for the manga suggestions.

You're welcome ;)
1 x
Beyond The Story 10 Year Record of BTS Korean version: 36 / 522

AndyMeg
Blue Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2-C1), Japanese (A2-B1), Korean (Lower Intermediate?)

Postby AndyMeg » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:49 pm

I was sick in bed for almost a week, so I watched a lot of k-drama episodes (mostly with english subs).

Now that I'm feeling better and I'm back to my normal routine, I've continued with the other activities.

Current activities summary:

- So far I've watched 695 minutes of no-subbed korean video content.

- For the time being I've stopped reading the "Easy to Learn Korean" series.

- I'm on page 74 of the "맞춤 스페인어권 한국어-1: Coreano para la Comunidad Coreana Hispanohablante" textbook.

- From time to time I've been listening to some TTMIK podcasts. I'm currently on level 2, lesson 18.

- I completed my challenge of 10 consecutive Viki's vocab quiz results with all the "easy" words right. After that I decided not to continue with more challenges because I hate having to keep count of my streaks. Every day I try to take the quiz three times (once in the morning, once around noon and once at night).

- I stopped my experiment of trying to watch twice the half-an-hour-long kdrama episodes that I'm currently watching with english subs (not the sitcoms that I still watch without subs). I don't have the patience to watch them twice.

Since a long time ago I've felt curious about the word 단 which is one that the PD nim from the "2 Days 1 Night" ("1박 2일") TV show uses A LOT, but I never found its exact meaning in the korean dictionaries I looked at. A few days ago, while watching a new drama called "What's Wrong with Secretary Kim" (김비서가 왜 그럴까) I heard a similar word: 다만. Now I think that maybe 단 is a short form for 다만.

I decided to look at the lyrics of a song from "Secret Garden"'s OST: 그여자 by 백지영. I had read the lyrics before (last year), but at that time I was still a very early beginner and I couldn't understand much. Now, though, I was happy to realize that I could understand most of the lyrics without needing the english translation. It felt really nice!!! :D
2 x

Christi
Orange Belt
Languages: Dutch (N), English (C1), German (B1), Korean (high A2-low B1?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=7574

Postby Christi » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:22 pm

I started watching secretary Kim because i saw you watched it. It's surprisingly refreshing so far! I haven't watched much yet but I think I'll watch a bit every week :)
1 x
2020 resolution words learned: 472 / 1000
Pages read at end of 2020: 220 / 1500

AndyMeg
Blue Belt

Postby AndyMeg » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:29 pm

Christi wrote:I started watching secretary Kim because i saw you watched it. It's surprisingly refreshing so far! I haven't watched much yet but I think I'll watch a bit every week :)

I'm loving it! At first I wasn't interested in the drama, but then I realized Park Seo Joon (박서준) was the male lead and, as a fan of him, I decided to give it a try. It's so funny! And, as you say, refreshing, different from the usual (though it also includes some clichés: like the traumas and that they probably knew each other as kids).

"What's Wrong with Secretary Kim" (김비서가 왜 그럴까), "Are You Human too?" (너도 인간이니) and "Switch: Change the World" (스위치 – 세상을 바꿔라) are the dramas that I'm currently enjoying the most. :D
2 x

Christi
Orange Belt
Languages: Dutch (N), English (C1), German (B1), Korean (high A2-low B1?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=7574

Postby Christi » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:54 pm

Ok, been binging Secretary Kim ever since last week haha.
Also, the same director created Because this is my first life. I just binged it this weekend. Loved it! I think this drama was a bit more serious and slower paced but it really covered some topics which to my knowledge are rarely taken seriously in kdrama (sexism at work, sexual assault etc). Sounds more heavy than the drama actually is. It's brought in a light handed way but like a running thread in the series.

Really recommend watching it if you like strong women!
1 x
2020 resolution words learned: 472 / 1000
Pages read at end of 2020: 220 / 1500

AndyMeg
Blue Belt

Postby AndyMeg » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:34 am

Christi wrote:Ok, been binging Secretary Kim ever since last week haha.
Also, the same director created Because this is my first life. I just binged it this weekend. Loved it! I think this drama was a bit more serious and slower paced but it really covered some topics which to my knowledge are rarely taken seriously in kdrama (sexism at work, sexual assault etc). Sounds more heavy than the drama actually is. It's brought in a light handed way but like a running thread in the series.

Really recommend watching it if you like strong women!

I didn't know both of them were from the same director!

I already watched "Because this is my first life" and I loved it too. It was really interesting to see the development of the unusual relationship between the protagonists as well as the other two main couples. And, as you said, they brought to the table many interesting topics and fresh perspectives. It has become one of my favorites! :D
1 x

AndyMeg
Blue Belt

Postby AndyMeg » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:42 am

July will probably be a very busy month for me, so I'm not sure how much time I can dedicate to korean. For now let's make a summary of what I've been doing since my last update.

Current activities summary:

- So far I've watched 836 minutes of no-subbed korean video content. And I've also continued watching korean TV with english subs.

- I'm on page 86 of the "맞춤 스페인어권 한국어-1: Coreano para la Comunidad Coreana Hispanohablante" textbook.

- From time to time I've been listening to some TTMIK podcasts. I'm currently on level 2, lesson 21.

- I'm finally back to my weekly korean classes! Though there were not enough students from my former group, so we had to integrate with the new "absolute beginner"'s class. Fortunately, the tuition fees are cheap, so I'm thinking of it as a way to review the fundamentals and get better at them.

- I'm finally starting to study with an activity I wanted to do since last year: "acting" k-dramas dialogues. Last year I tried to use this activity because I had already done something similar with japanese and I remembered how much I had enjoyed it but, back then, my level wasn't high enough to be able to really enjoy the activity in korean (I needed to improve my reading speed, my listening skills, my basic vocabulary, my basic grammar knowledge, etc.). But now I finally feel I'm at the right level to enjoy and learn a lot from this activity. :D

For now I've just made the preparations:

1) Choose a k-drama --> Kill Me, Heal Me (킬미, 힐미)
2) Choose a character --> Oh Ri Jin (the female protagonist)
3) Format the korean transcript of the first 3 scenes of Oh Ri Jin in a way that makes it easy to add handwritten notes to it.
4) Format the english translation of the first 3 scenes of Oh Ri Jin in a way that makes it easy to use it as a referent.

As my sister is studying korean too, and she liked "Kill Me, Heal Me", it is possible that we practice together from time to time. But, as our schedules don't always match, I think I'll have to practice alone most of the time.

I just finished the preparations yesterday, so for now I've only dabbled in the material. But I hope to officially start this activity this week. I'll give you more details after I've oficially started. ;)
2 x

eido
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C1)

Postby eido » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:55 am

I'd like to hear some recordings of the renditions of the k-drama scenes. ;)
0 x

AndyMeg
Blue Belt

Postby AndyMeg » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:24 am

eido wrote:I'd like to hear some recordings of the renditions of the k-drama scenes. ;)

:shock: :? :oops:

Maybe if/when I can overcome my Stage Fright...
2 x

Return to “Language logs”