My korean adventure: fun and enjoyment as a guide

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
AndyMeg
Blue Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2-C1), Japanese (A2-B1), Korean (Lower Intermediate?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 02#p201902

Re: My korean adventure: fun and enjoyment as a guide

Postby AndyMeg » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:14 pm

Quick update:

I reached a burnout point some days ago and I had to stop and rethink many things.

It has happened many times before in my life and I should now better by now, but I reached that point again.

I'm on the autism spectrum and I know that when I try to do many things at once I get burnout pretty fast.

This time I forgot (or didn't pay attention to) it because there were many great opportunities coming my way. I didn't want to discard any of those opportunities and here is the result.

I had to suspend all my activities for two days straight because I wasn't able to function properly. I just slept and slept and slept. I had zero energy for anything else. Then, on the weekend, I had a lot of things to do and lost most of the energy I had gotten back from my two days of almost non-stop sleep. Back to burnout point. :roll:

On the flip side, I was fortunate enough that almost all of my activities and commitments for this week got suddenly canceled (and I was able to re-schedule the rest), so I decided to use this week to rest, reorganize and recharge.

I've got good opportunities in three main areas of my life:

- language learning
- work
- creative writing

So far I had tried to make the most out of them, but now I've realized I can not. I need to choose.

1) Language learning.

Two months ago I got to know two korean people with whom I'm still in contact. When I'm with them we communicate in a mix of spanish, english and korean. And this is a great way to improve my korean because it forces me to use and improve the language for real life communication.

But I'm on the autism spectrum, and managing social interaction is an Achilles heel for me. If I don't manage it properly, I get overwhelmed too fast and then stop interacting with most people for a good while.

One of my new korean friends is very active and is constantly inviting me to do things with her, but I've had to decline half of her invitations because I don't have time or energy for them; and I've accepted the other half even if I feel really drained afterwards. She is older than me but seems to have so much energy! I really appreciate having met her and I want to keep in contact with her, but in order to do so, I need to reorganize and cut some other things in my life.

Two things I'll cut are the "Korean language and culture" club on Sunday's mornings and the twice-a-week free classes I've been going to. I'll only keep the Sunday's afternoon paid classes (they are cheap and I enjoy the teacher's methodology and philosophy about language learning).

2) Work

I have an increased workload but it is giving me some extra money that I currently need and it is also helping me develop some skills I'll need for some of my mid-term goals. So I'll keep at it for now.

3) Creative writing

I love creative writing and a professional I admire has shown interest in my current project. I want to give it my all.

I'm not sure if these measures are enough to bring balance to my life. But I think they'll help for now. If I start to get overwhelmed again, I'll probably need to cut more things out. Let's see.
3 x
Beyond The Story 10 Year Record of BTS Korean version: 36 / 522

Return to “Language logs”