Bex's Spanish log 2018. Chapter 2: Improbable ambitions

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Bex
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 77#p157977

Re: Bex's Spanish log 2018. Chapter 2: Improbable ambitions

Postby Bex » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:56 am

smallwhite wrote:
Bex wrote:
I wonder if there is much difference between the 83.2% you would know in the top 6000 words compared to how much % coverage you would get from just the top 3000 words?

Excellent question!

6k => 857 unique words made up 4019 words (83.2%) of Chapter 1
3k => 710 unique words made up 3786 words (78.4%) of Chapter 1

857 - 710 = 147
4019 - 3786 = 233

The 5% from English words mentioned in my last post remains 5%.

Very interesting thanks smallwhite.

So using Clozemaster I would have to learn another 3000 words to go from 78.4% comprehension to 83.2% comprehension (and thus learn those 147 words)...if my aim were only to read Harry Potter then Clozemaster would not be the a very efficient route :lol:
1 x
Kwiziq
A0: 100 / 100
A1: 100 / 100
A2: 100 / 100
B1: 91 / 100
B2: 53 / 100

Bex
Blue Belt

Postby Bex » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:33 am

Friday update:

Nothing to report for my progress bars as I have only listened to a little Spanish because I have been continuing to focus all my time on Clozemaster. I may start counting Clozemaster as reading time, which would mean that I am only behind with my writing so far this month. I am still continuing with 1 hour on iTalki each week.

I am now learning the top 501-1000 most common words, I know most of the nouns already but the subjunctive (past and present) and command tenses are really pushing me to learn some more grammar, I have had to Google both on several occasions to clarify exactly why a certain conjugation is being used.

Also there are some common set phrases/connectors that I didn't know which I keep seeing...which I am now starting to recognise such as "de veras".

It's all very interesting and has really sparked my interest in Spanish again :D

I listened to the first 8 CD's of Michel Thomas back in June last year, I am now going to listen to the 5 advanced CD's to help with the new conjugations I am trying to learn. I listened to the first CD today (I had almost forgotten how annoying the students are :roll:). This first CD covered the command and subjunctive so it was very useful in cementing these conjugations and their usage, although I am intending to listen to any really useful parts more than once so it may take me a while to listen to them all.

I have felt so lost since I stopped using courses and finally I feel like i'm learning and progressing in Spanish again now. This self-directed language learning malarkey is so difficult once you leave the comfort of courses behind.

Oh and before I forget, I have been mulling over the figures from smallwhite regarding Harry Potter and I have come to the conclusion that I should be watching films/TV series and not reading books if i want my speaking/listening to improve, the figures from smallwhite show that the language usage is not the same in literature as it is in speech.

I also think that I am going to have to be realistic and admit that I am not an avid reader but that I do watch Spanish TV almost every evening (it's just a habit now) and i should probably be concentrating on that.

Anyway, first I will listen to Michel Thomas CD's and then I will finish L/R my current Harry Potter book. After which I'll reevaluate....anyone have any good TV ideas?
4 x
Kwiziq

Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Languages: Afrikaans (N), English (N)
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

Postby Jaleel10 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:54 am

Bex wrote:anyone have any good TV ideas?

¡Has venido al lugar correcto!

First you should probably look at "Official" Telenovela and Series (in Spanish) Reviews and Recommendations

But some Spanish TV series I enjoyed in my short time in the world of the hispanohablantes.

El Internado - I am a sucker for suspense, mystery, drama and very unrealistic portrayals of teenagers. This has it all. And is still one of the best Spanish tv shows I have watched. Highly recommend it.

La Casa de Papel. Having recently become Netflix’s Most-Watched Foreign Original Series Ever I don't know how to describe it without underselling it lol. Just a well written, well produced tv show. Great characters as well.

Others I am still watching and really enjoying; Las Chicas del Cable, El Mar de Plastico, Vis a Vas, Velvet, Sin senos no hay paraíso and El Club de Cuervos.
0 x

Bex
Blue Belt

Postby Bex » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:30 am

Jaleel10 wrote:
Bex wrote:anyone have any good TV ideas?

¡Has venido al lugar correcto!

First you should probably look at "Official" Telenovela and Series (in Spanish) Reviews and Recommendations

But some Spanish TV series I enjoyed in my short time in the world of the hispanohablantes.

El Internado - I am a sucker for suspense, mystery, drama and very unrealistic portrayals of teenagers. This has it all. And is still one of the best Spanish tv shows I have watched. Highly recommend it.

La Casa de Papel. Having recently become Netflix’s Most-Watched Foreign Original Series Ever I don't know how to describe it without underselling it lol. Just a well written, well produced tv show. Great characters as well.

Others I am still watching and really enjoying; Las Chicas del Cable, El Mar de Plastico, Vis a Vas, Velvet, Sin senos no hay paraíso and El Club de Cuervos.

Gracias Jaleel10

I don't suppose you (or anyone else) have any recommendations for cartoons, or shorter episode length series etc...all the Netflix stuff seems to be an hour long... I was looking to start with maybe something shorter or with transcripts/subtitles.

ETA: I found this

Or maybe I should just jump in and start with La Casa de Papel, I've been dying to watch that.
0 x
Kwiziq

Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Languages: Afrikaans (N), English (N)
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

Postby Jaleel10 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:16 am

Bex wrote:
I don't suppose you (or anyone else) have any recommendations for cartoons, or shorter episode length series etc...all the Netflix stuff seems to be an hour long... I was looking to start with maybe something shorter or with transcripts/subtitles.

ETA: I found this http://es.steven-universe.wikia.com/wik ... Castellana

Or maybe I should just jump in and start with La Casa de Papel, I've been dying to watch that.

Bex, of course, of course.

These are the ones that I could find on youtube. I answered someone on Reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/Spanish/commen ... h/dx98x7n/ (None of them are subtitled)

Also there is also a big Spanish youtube channel called VisualPolitik. They make videos about politics and current affairs. I am not big on politics but I am big on accurate transcripts ! And they have that for every video on the channel. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJQQVL ... 06g/videos

On: Netflix
* There is also Rick and Morty (despite the last season, it is still one of the best modern adult cartoons) [The ONLY CARTOON ON NETFLIX WITH SOMEWHAT ACCURATE SUBTITLES)
* Bojack Horseman
* Archer

All dubbed cartoons on Netflix have subtitles but non correspond with the dub because the subtitles were made for the English version.

I'll send you a private message over the weekend with all the Castellano cartoons that are at my disposable (No puedo compartirlos aquí debido a las reglas)
1 x

eido
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C1)

Postby eido » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:03 pm

Are you looking for adult-geared or children's cartoons?

I know Jaleel10 and I both like Danny Phantom. I recommend, of course, Gravity Falls which has a bit of a nostalgia trip for adults older than 30 in a lot of episodes. Any American cartoon from the late 90s to early or mid-2000s would work, I think. I personally like action or mystery oriented cartoons, but some comedy ones sneak in there sometimes. All the re-boots of Scooby Doo, Where Are You?, the movies that go along with them, those would be good. I used to watch Scooby Doo Meets The Boo Brothers over and over when I was like six, and What's New Scooby Doo? was a pretty good re-hash if I do say. The plots are predictable enough, too.

I know The Simpsons and South Park definitely have been dubbed into Spanish. Those are the only adult cartoons I really know about. Maybe unfortunately I only pay attention to what the under-15 crowd likes.

Maybe Los Tres Chiflados would be good for you?
1 x

Bex
Blue Belt

Postby Bex » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:31 pm

Jaleel10 wrote:I'll send you a private message over the weekend with all the Castellano cartoons that are at my disposable (No puedo compartirlos aquí debido a las reglas)

Wow thanks.... you are so kind. I will be checking my inbox every 5 mins now ;)
0 x
Kwiziq

Bex
Blue Belt

Postby Bex » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:38 pm

eido wrote:Are you looking for adult-geared or children's cartoons?

Adult or children's really not too bothered.

Danny Phantom, Gravity Falls and Scooby Doo all would be great.

Los Tres Chiflados...I have no idea but I'll check it out.

Some great ideas thanks, should keep me busy for a while. Thanks.

Now to search for any transcripts in Spanish...
0 x
Kwiziq

Bex
Blue Belt

Postby Bex » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:13 am

Watched the first episode of Ministerio del Tiempo yesterday.

I watched with Spanish subtitles and managed to follow most of it (I think)...my brain did hurt a bit after 70 minutes of trying to keep up, translate and watch all at the same time but it was surprisingly ok :D

ETA: There are scripts for each episode here:
http://www.rtve.es/television/ministeri ... emporada1/
3 x
Kwiziq

AndyMeg
Blue Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2-C1), Japanese (A2-B1), Korean (Lower Intermediate?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 02#p201902

Postby AndyMeg » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:38 pm

Buscando por internet encontré en Youtube esta telenovela con subtítulos en español:

Tierra de Reyes

En ese mismo canal de youtube (Telemundo) hay varias telenovelas con subtítulos en inglés. Miré por encima algunas de las más recientes, pero no tenían subtítulos en español. Luego decidí mirar las telenovelas que publicaron por la misma época que la que te comenté en un principio y esas sí tienen subtítulos en español; así que te recomiendo probar con telenovelas que hayan subido alrededor de los años 2013 y 2014 ;) . Por ejemplo:

Pasión prohibida

Dama y Obrero y La Impostora --> En estas dos telenovelas los subtítulos están invertidos: los que dicen inglés en realidad son los de español, y los que dicen español en realidad son los de inglés.
2 x
Beyond The Story 10 Year Record of BTS Korean version: 36 / 522

Return to “Language logs”