Bex's Spanish log 2018. Chapter 2: Improbable ambitions

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Bex
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 77#p157977

Re: Bex's Spanish log 2018. Chapter 2: Improbable ambitions

Postby Bex » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:59 am

Jaleel10 wrote:How do you feel about your reading and listening skills at the moment, let's say compared to 1 year ago. In terms of translating in your head, level of frustration, level of enjoyment, etc.

It's difficult to compare because I've completely changed the way I am reading and listening.

If I look back 1 year ago I couldn't read even a page without getting really frustrated but I was reading Harry Potter which was way too hard for me.

My listening and reading have definitely improved quite quickly now that I am reading and listening to material where I can easily understand most of it.

I now only translate in my head the bits that I don't understand for both reading and listening, and since the material is so much easier; this means probably a maximum of 30% of the time if I am listening to something a bit too tricky.

I remember earlier this year (Jan/Feb time) I managed 5 mins of the first Español Automático podcast before I decided it was too difficult for me. This last week I have read and listened to the first 5 episodes before stopping. They are now comprehensible but still a bit too difficult for me to continue with and I got bored after 5 episodes.

I have learnt not to continue with material that is not around 80% comprehension (ideally above) and is enjoyable.

I still wouldn't say that I find reading enjoyable in any language but I no longer hate reading in Spanish, the frustration has gone because I have changed the material.

I'll try reading a few pages of Harry Potter next week...that should really show if I have actually improved.

But either way I have found an enjoyable way to read in Spanish and that is the most important thing for me because now I can manage a lot more reading each day...I am now starting to see an improvement because I can get the hours in.
9 x
Kwiziq
A0: 100 / 100
A1: 100 / 100
A2: 100 / 100
B1: 91 / 100
B2: 53 / 100

kennyaa
White Belt
Languages: English (N)
Spanish (B2)

Postby kennyaa » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:04 am

Congrats on your progress. The part time office job seems like an amazing opportunity to practice.
1 x

Bex
Blue Belt

Postby Bex » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:16 am

Quick update for myself.

Anki...I have had this nagging feeling this week that I need to find a more logical way to progress through the vocabulary, fill in holes etc. I really love my vocab deck from reading but it's not a very logical way to learn; I am learning obscure vocabulary before much more frequently used words, mostly chosen just because I like the word usage, slang, idiom, grammar etc.

Therefore I have created a second deck using Mark Davies Spanish frequency list, I've added the first 3000 words, so I can continue to enjoy my vocab deck but also not feel like I am missing more frequent vocabulary. I hope I will know a lot of the earlier words in this deck and I shall just suspend those known words as they appear.

So now I have 2 Anki decks....one for my amusement and one for my more logical side.
5 x
Kwiziq

Bex
Blue Belt

Postby Bex » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:44 am

Still plugging away. This week's stats....

Pages read last week around 71 pages....so an OK week for reading. I have gone back to the Unlimited Spanish podcasts I have now read 58 of them.

3 hours listening. I need to find something more gripping to listen to... that's native, clear and easy!

Anki:
Reading Vocab - 33 mature. Learning: 124. (suspended: 1).
Frequency list - 0 mature. Learning 69. (suspended: 137).

I tried reading a few pages of the first Harry Potter book again just to see how my reading was progressing....

It was hard, but my reading has definitely improved, so much so that now I can clearly see that HP uses some quite uncommon spoken vocabulary. I could read all the sentences and their structures were no problem, (even with the missing vocabulary) I could also follow the general story well enough but the vocabulary I was missing was huge. I would guestimate at around 35% or even 50% in parts.

I think I will add the first chapter to LWT and read through it to get an accurate measurement of % unknown. Maybe with a view to returning every now and then to test for improvement.

It was really interesting that my reading "flow" has improved so much and it's clear that at the moment I need to add a lot more vocabulary.

Seems I have a long climb ahead of me.
6 x
Kwiziq

Bex
Blue Belt

Postby Bex » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:13 am

This week's stats....

Read 168 pages in total.
2 hours 40 minutes of listening.

Lots of reading done this week, really happy that I managed so much reading in one week. It's definitely getting more enjoyable, finding material that's not too difficult is the hardest thing now.

Anki: 46 day streak.. it's useful to see which words I can't produce in the top 3000, there's quite a few. I need to work with these words somehow.
3 x
Kwiziq

SGP
Blue Belt
Languages: DE (native), EN (C2), ES (B2), FR (B2); some more at various levels
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 30#p120230

Postby SGP » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:49 am

Bex wrote:Still plugging away. This week's stats....

Pages read last week around 71 pages....so an OK week for reading. I have gone back to the Unlimited Spanish podcasts I have now read 58 of them.

Do you listen and read at the same time, or not?

Bex wrote:It was really interesting that my reading "flow" has improved so much and it's clear that at the moment I need to add a lot more vocabulary.

Seems I have a long climb ahead of me.

Do you sense any connection between your reading flow and the other three flows (writing, speaking, listening)? And if so, any (even vague) idea on why that happened :)?
1 x
Previously known as SGP. But my mental username now is langmon.

Log

Bex
Blue Belt

Postby Bex » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:43 am

SGP wrote:Do you listen and read at the same time, or not?
Yes, I do both together sometimes but listening is slower and I get frustrated reading that slowly now. I mostly read something and then if there's audio, I add it to my playlist to listen to later.

SGP wrote:Do you sense any connection between your reading flow and the other three flows (writing, speaking, listening)? And if so, any (even vague) idea on why that happened :)?

My reading flow is connected to my listening flow. Why = increased vocabulary.

I suspect that my speech will have improved. Why = again increased vocabulary; I can't really say for sure because my speech always seems terrible to me. Somehow I get my point across but my speech "flow" is still a disaster!

I would like to listen (,write and speak) more than I am but I only have limited time and I want to complete the reading part of the Super Challenge first. At the moment the SC is my main focus because I am very (understatement) prone to distraction.
1 x
Kwiziq

SGP
Blue Belt

Postby SGP » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:13 pm

Bex wrote:
SGP wrote:Do you listen and read at the same time, or not?
Yes, I do both together sometimes but listening is slower and I get frustrated reading that slowly now.

So if one of those two (listening and reading) is lagging behind the other, then... well, I suppose I don't even need to finish that sentence :).

Bex wrote:
SGP wrote:Do you sense any connection between your reading flow and the other three flows (writing, speaking, listening)? And if so, any (even vague) idea on why that happened :)?

My reading flow is connected to my listening flow. Why = increased vocabulary.

Two passive skills, but nevertheless needed for the active ones.

Bex wrote:I suspect that my speech will have improved. Why = again increased vocabulary; I can't really say for sure because my speech always seems terrible to me. Somehow I get my point across but my speech "flow" is still a disaster!

[Just In Case You Don't Mind Myself Asking Tag]
People could say something like this (i.e. having a speech flow that hasn't fully developed yet) for several reasons :).
Would it be more of not being able to recall too many Spanish Verb Form Tenses, or more about the other vocabulary part (like "how do you call a sycamore tree in Spanish?"), or about something else?

[/Just In Case You Don't Mind Myself Asking Tag]

At the moment the SC is my main focus because I am very (understatement) prone to distraction.

[Before Asking That Question I Simply Would Like to Remind You That SGP Means Somewhat Geeky Polyglot Tag :lol: ]

What kind of distractions? Other languages maybe? Or some talkative felines even?

EDIT: Wondering how that One Eye Eye [sic] Blink of one particular cat (--> your profile's image) was possible to happen.

[/Before Asking That Question I Simply Would Like to Remind You That SGP Means Somewhat Geeky Polyglot Tag]
0 x

Log

Bex
Blue Belt

Postby Bex » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:19 am

This week's stats....

Read 164 pages in total.
3 hours 20 minutes of listening.

Another good week for reading. I've read 100 of the Unlimited Spanish podcast transcripts now, they avearage at around 15 mins/2000 words per podcast. I try an read at least 2 per day and now they really are quite easy for me to read. I am using them at the moment mainly just to mine vocabulary for my Anki deck.

I only have 23 Unlimited Spanish podcasts left to read before I've finished them all... I'm not sure what to read next. I may just re-read these again, maybe outloud, I'm not sure how useful it would be to start reading aloud.

Anki: 54 day streak.. I have mainly just been reviewing and not adding new cards this week.

I have started to build a third deck using images...it is mainly just root form verbs. I started it for fun, mainly as a way to really study some verb forms in more detail and take notes, it's not really an SRS excercise. It seemed this time that Anki was just the easiest place to put my notes.

I shall keep this verb/images deck pretty low key compared to my other two decks... it's becoming mainly just about note taking and understanding the underlying verb usage.

The deck has 28 verbs in it so far, they all have just a picture as the question side, with maybe 1 small piece of text for clarification/prompting.

I have found it to be an interesting process building a deck with images... you really need to understand the underlying differences between even simple things like sobre, arriba de and encima de or your images all look the same.

Also building this deck from scratch has sent me down some interesting grammar rabbit holes, I've quite enjoyed the process this week and I feel it's quite useful. I will continue playing with these verbs for as long as it continues to seem useful.
6 x
Kwiziq

SGP
Blue Belt

Postby SGP » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:45 pm

Bex wrote:Also building this deck from scratch has sent me down some interesting grammar rabbit holes, I've quite enjoyed the process this week and I feel it's quite useful. I will continue playing with these verbs for as long as it continues to seem useful.
What are Grammar Rabbit Holes to you? (Not asking about their AIW origin ;)).
0 x

Log

Return to “Language logs”