Bex's Spanish log 2018. Chapter 2: Improbable ambitions

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Tristano
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: Italian
Speaks: English, Dutch, French, Spanish
Understands but not yet speaks: Romanian
Studies: German
Can't wait to put his hands on: Scandinavian languages, Slavic languages, Turkish, Arabic and other stuff
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5141

Re: Bex's Spanish log 2018. Chapter 2: Improbable ambitions

Postby Tristano » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:01 pm

Bex wrote:Another mini-challenge completed yesterday.

Notes in Spanish: Inspired Beginners - 30 podcasts all now listened to.

I have been randomly listening to the Intermediate podcasts every now and then as well, I prefer the intermediate podcasts because they are purely in Spanish and I seem to be able to follow and understand them relatively well. The beginners ones were a little too easy and although it was nice to go over some of the basics again, I did make sure that I went through them as quickly as possible. I will have to spend more time with the intermediate podcasts I think.

Hi @Bex,
I also used Notes in Spanish. I started directly from the intermediate without any previous study of Spanish (I know, I'm a cheater, I'm Italian and already had English and French under my belt, so too easy). I then immediately moved to the advanced, where I didn't feel the difference. There is also a gold with the dialogues spoken in Spanish first and in English after. It really helped me to bootstrap the language. When I was done with it, I had an Italki conversation where I was able to speak Spanish quite fluently, with the teacher pretty shocked haha.
I advice you to skip the beginner, since you already find it too easy. There are tons of resources for Spanish, and many are aimed for learners but spoken entirely or partially in Spanish. My advice is to go rapidly through them and challenge yourself. There is a time to learn intensively and a time to learn extensively. In which ratio, it is entirely based on your personality. Personally I'm 5% intensive, 95% extensive (and indeed my grammar mistakes prove the point entirely hahaha).

Good luck :)

EDIT: you already finished the beginner series. I should read the posts a bit better :oops:
1 x

Bex
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 77#p157977

Postby Bex » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:04 pm

iguanamon wrote:
AndyMeg wrote:
Bex wrote:I am not sure what I shall read next but I have to say that Spanish graded readers are not the most compelling of reading material.

What kind of books do you usually like to read in your native language? If its novels, for example, what kind of genre?

You are ready to read real books now. The first book I read in Haitian Creole was "Robinson Crusoe". I started with the Old Testament Bible in Creole and Ladino. Those books were my "graded readers". "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" was my first "real" book in Ladino. I also enjoyed reading "The Little Prince" in both languages. It is so much more than a "kid's" book.

James29, here on the forum, rarely reads a book originally written in Spanish and does just fine. I used to question him about this. I was wrong to do that. If I can paraphrase him, he says that he doesn't really like reading to begin with so a book has to be something he knows he's going to like before he'll invest his time reading it. He also watches plenty of native media. So, the fact that the majority of his reading is overwhelmingly based on "translated from English" literature hasn't hurt him in the least.

So, pick something or an author you like in English and look for the translation or, have a look here for some ideas: AmericaReadsSpanish.org. It's a website that encourages reading in Spanish with descriptions of books and levels, both original and translations from all over the Spanish-speaking world. Whatever you decide to read, the first book will be the hardest. In that first book, it will probably get easier after the first one hundred pages. Don't worry about how difficult it is, just know that it's something we've all gone through before and that it gets easier over time. Reading is a great way to increase and improve your vocabulary and usage. You've come a long way, Bex, congratulations. You have a right to be proud. ¡Suerte!

Gracias iguanamon
1 x
Kwiziq
A0: 100 / 100
A1: 100 / 100
A2: 100 / 100
B1: 91 / 100
B2: 53 / 100

Bex
Blue Belt

Postby Bex » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:07 pm

AndyMeg wrote:
Bex wrote:I am not sure what I shall read next but I have to say that Spanish graded readers are not the most compelling of reading material.

What kind of books do you usually like to read in your native language? If its novels, for example, what kind of genre?

I do not really read books in English anymore, it's habit I sadly lost, so it would be difficult for me to name a favourite genre.

I used to read a lot when I was younger, anything from classics like Wuthering Heights to Science Fiction by Iain M Banks.

It's been quite nice to have an excuse to pick up reading again, I hadn't even realised I'd missed it.
2 x
Kwiziq

Bex
Blue Belt

Postby Bex » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:23 pm

Tristano wrote:
Bex wrote:Another mini-challenge completed yesterday.

Notes in Spanish: Inspired Beginners - 30 podcasts all now listened to.

I have been randomly listening to the Intermediate podcasts every now and then as well, I prefer the intermediate podcasts because they are purely in Spanish and I seem to be able to follow and understand them relatively well. The beginners ones were a little too easy and although it was nice to go over some of the basics again, I did make sure that I went through them as quickly as possible. I will have to spend more time with the intermediate podcasts I think.

Hi @Bex,
I also used Notes in Spanish. I started directly from the intermediate without any previous study of Spanish (I know, I'm a cheater, I'm Italian and already had English and French under my belt, so too easy). I then immediately moved to the advanced, where I didn't feel the difference. There is also a gold with the dialogues spoken in Spanish first and in English after. It really helped me to bootstrap the language. When I was done with it, I had an Italki conversation where I was able to speak Spanish quite fluently, with the teacher pretty shocked haha.
I advice you to skip the beginner, since you already find it too easy. There are tons of resources for Spanish, and many are aimed for learners but spoken entirely or partially in Spanish. My advice is to go rapidly through them and challenge yourself. There is a time to learn intensively and a time to learn extensively. In which ratio, it is entirely based on your personality. Personally I'm 5% intensive, 95% extensive (and indeed my grammar mistakes prove the point entirely hahaha).

Good luck :)

EDIT: you already finished the beginner series. I should read the posts a bit better :oops:

I am about half way through the intermediate Notes in Spanish now and I really like that fact that there's no English at all, it helps me to not translate words into English all the time.

When the explanations are in Spanish, my brain connects the Spanish to Spanish and not to English...it really is much better for me now without English explanations, although I really would've struggled with this not so long ago.

I am going to just listen to the all intermediate as quickly as I can as extensive listening (no repeats, I get bored too easily) and then probably then go on to the Advanced Podcasts.

I am also going to transcribe some of the intermediate podcasts as intensive listening and writing practice as well.

Hopefully the combination of both extensive and intensive listening combined with the same strategy for reading will serve me well.
2 x
Kwiziq

Tristano
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: Italian
Speaks: English, Dutch, French, Spanish
Understands but not yet speaks: Romanian
Studies: German
Can't wait to put his hands on: Scandinavian languages, Slavic languages, Turkish, Arabic and other stuff
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5141

Postby Tristano » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:58 pm

Bex wrote:Hopefully the combination of both extensive and intensive listening combined with the same strategy for reading will serve me well.

I'm pretty sure you're on the right track ;) Don't forget the fun activities (youtube videos, music etc.).
2 x

AndyMeg
Blue Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2-C1), Japanese (A2-B1), Korean (Lower Intermediate?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 02#p201902

Postby AndyMeg » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:46 pm

Bex wrote:
AndyMeg wrote:

I do not really read books in English anymore, it's habit I sadly lost, so it would be difficult for me to name a favourite genre.

I used to read a lot when I was younger, anything from classics like Wuthering Heights to Science Fiction by Iain M Banks.

It's been quite nice to have an excuse to pick up reading again, I hadn't even realised I'd missed it.

Just in case you want to check them out:

I remember I enjoyed a lot the trilogy "Memorias del Águila y el Jaguar" by Isabel Allende. It is a juvenile book in the magic realism genre.

One of my favorite sci-fi novels from a native spanish speaker is "Marte XXIII" by Jordi Sierra i Fabra. It says this at the back cover:

—La Tierra que conociste ya no existe, no es más que un planeta muerto. ¡Deja de soñar, de creer en imposibles y torturarte a ti mismo! ¡Esta es nuestra casa!
—No, Iliana —dijo él—. Te equivocas en lo primero, aunque tengas razón en lo segundo, porque desde luego...esta es nuestra casa. Estamos en ella. Siempre lo hemos estado.

Of course you can also look for translated books. My english, for example, improved a lot by me reading english-translated japanese manga. Now that I think about it... maybe you could try manga too! The images give you a lot of context and you have a lower risk of getting utterly lost. ;)
3 x
Beyond The Story 10 Year Record of BTS Korean version: 36 / 522

Bex
Blue Belt

Postby Bex » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:55 pm

Random post because Anki is annoying me.

I have had enough of Anki, I know it works because my past tense usage is so much better because of my use of it last year but I have had enough, I keep avoiding it each day and it's become a chore (understatement).

I am going to drop it and use clozemaster for a while instead.

Rant over :D
5 x
Kwiziq

Bex
Blue Belt

Postby Bex » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:15 am

Friday update
Reading Target: 100 pages. This week = 79 (2018 total 425)
Writing Target: 1000 words. This week = 1100 (2018 total 2,141)
Listening Target: 120 minutes. This week = 125 (2018 total 746)
Speaking Target: 60 minutes. This week = 55 (2018 total 225)

Reading and listening are still very enjoyable. Up to NIS intermediate podcast 33.

I have added transcribing to my writing, I have transcribed over 1000 words this week from the first NIS intermediate podcast and I have found only 3 or 4 areas of either unknown vocabulary or unfathomable speech. I will look more closely at these issues once I have finished.

For speaking I am adding Glossika level 2 GSR, the tracks are around 25 minutes long but I shall only count 10 minutes for each track as I am only speaking half of the time.

My grammar list has been put to the side since I dropped Anki, I am enjoying Clozemaster much more and I am using the "all sentences 101-500" and typing in the answers because otherwise it is too easy.

I am ending up with items from transcribing, Italki, reading and Clozemaster that I don't know but I am unsure what to do with this information...I would have created a deck in order to learn them but I really don't want to go down that route now, I really have had enough of Anki for the moment.
Last edited by Bex on Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Kwiziq

Bex
Blue Belt

Postby Bex » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:19 am

January targets
Reading January: 425/450 pages
Writing January: 2,141/4,200 words
Listening January: 746/500 minutes
Speaking January: 225/250 minutes

Monthly targets are still on track, reading and speaking are close enough and listening to podcasts is going really well. I am confident that I can catch up on the writing now that I have started transcribing.

Only thing is I still haven't found a good way to work through my grammar points or review my weaker areas uncovered from my other activities.
2 x
Kwiziq

Bex
Blue Belt

Postby Bex » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:46 am

Friday update:
Reading Target: 100 pages. This week = 21 (2018 total 446)
Writing Target: 1000 words. This week = 1568 (2018 total 3709)
Listening Target: 120 minutes. This week = 140 (2018 total 886)
Speaking Target: 60 minutes. This week = 65 (2018 total 300)

Finished my native short story but it was only 35 pages long. I have started reading a childrens book but I am finding the native books more of a struggle. I am also finding with these shorter books that once I've finished them much time is wasted finding the next book to read and it takes me a good amount of page to get into the story; basically I need longer books. I may skip the native children's book I have just started and attempt Harry Potter again. It's not ideal but it is a long book and I need to increase my reading time somehow.

Transcribing is going well, I am definitely getting faster, I managed to transcribe 1198 words in one sitting this week. I only had 1 or 2 items of unknown vocab from the 10 minute intermediate podcast. I also spent an hour or two going through my previous transcription on Monday and picking out all unknown vocab/grammar. It definitely helped because after doing this revision, I noticed while transcribing the next podcast some of the previously unknown vocab I now understood...which is great, exactly what I need to be doing. I shall make sure I review every transcription I do.

Listening is pretty routine now, I finished the NIS intermediate podcasts this week! I shall move onto the 96 Notes in Spanish Season 1 Advanced next. Should keep me busy for a while :D

Speaking: My teacher has said that he will step up my lessons and we will cover harder material next week. I am still repeating lesson 1 of Glossika 2 over and over, I don't seem to be able to get into a routine with it, but I'll keep trying for a while and if not I'll find something else for speaking practice.

Clozemaster is still going pretty well, I have 204 of the 6,252 words mastered from the most common 101-500 words this morning. I am typing in my answers, so I definitely know these 204 sentences :)

Not a bad week, need to find more interesting/longer reading material.
4 x
Kwiziq

Return to “Language logs”