Humerusthings log: German & French Log through Assimil 2024

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
humerusthings
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Chinese (GCSE A levels), Korean (~A2?), French (A1), German (Beginner), Icelandic (Beginner).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7372

Re: The log of a wanderlusting crossfitter 2021 (French/Icelandic)

Postby humerusthings » Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:31 pm

Hi guys, it has been quite a while! Hope everyone is doing well :)

Jan 2021
- expanse s5 (listened to approximately 9/10 episodes in french!)
- call my agent s4 ep 1 and 2
- assimil lesson 67-70 passive
- asssimil lesson 6 active
- alexa - what did you do last weekend to keep healthy and fit? (10mins)

feb 2021
- Lupin 5 eps

Nowadays I find the easiest way is just to watch movies/ tv series on netflix and turn on LLN netflix haha. Expanse was on amazon which unfortunately i couldnt find any LLN for, so I just turned on french subs which worked too!

Probably going to watch star trek in french next!
6 x
: 19 / 40 Coffee Break French S3
: 88 / 113 Assimil French With Ease
: 3 / 16 Easy French Step by Step
: 33 / 100 Assimil German With Ease
: 4 / 20 Easy German Step by Step

humerusthings
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Chinese (GCSE A levels), Korean (~A2?), French (A1), German (Beginner), Icelandic (Beginner).

Postby humerusthings » Sat May 15, 2021 4:18 am

may 2021 french log

- olly richards 101 conversations chapters 1-4
- altered carbon s1 ep 1 (with french dub)
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdimXQHMyvc a piece of french youtube (12min)

may 2021 icelandic log
- Klikkaða kjötsúpan Klikkaða kjötsúpan Kafli 1 – Fyrir brottför (olly richards)

i actually watched altered carbon season 1 &2 in english once through previously, LOVED IT. planning to rewatch it in french!

still nowhere near conversational level in french, no time for italki classes on a regular basis either... but at least i'm still able to watch french shows on netflix so that's fun! have a vocab list on notion so i've learnt abt 50 new french words in 2021! yay

looking forward to lupin part 2 coming out soon!
2 x

humerusthings
Orange Belt

Postby humerusthings » Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:11 pm

july 2021
french log
- lupin S2 all eps
- 3 eps of parisian agency
- 15/7/21 udemy A1.1-A1.2 (up to section 1 part 14)
- CBF S2 ep 31
- assmil 71-76 (passive wave)
- the expanse s1 ep 1 in french (rewatch)

korean log
- hospital playlist 6 episodes

German
- Assmil 1-3
~

according to my notion french vocab list, this year i've learnt 88 new french words!
Ranging from ca m'angoisse from call my agent to decroche from parisean agency

Still clearly more on the learning languages through netflix/ amazon track, definitely not as fast as if I opened some grammar books, actually glacially slow, but at least I'm enjoying it :)

Maybe by the time I graduate from my medical training I'll finish assmil french with ease lol (clearly I have low expectations)

Jokes aside, hearing a language really helps me as opposed to reading off a textbook (in any case, I sadly can't go for physical classroom lessons as not only is my schedule not friendly to weekly classes, we are still in a semi-lockdown here in my country sigh). Haha but yeah so I think I'm actually more of an audiovisual learning so overall it's working out well! :)

Not sure whether it's worth making any concrete plans
but yes, maybe by end of this year or so I'll aim to at least finish the Assmil Passive Wave (for french)
And also I bought quite a few french storybooks on audible so will start on those next! Olly Richards and quite a few more, online shopping is kinda tempting ><
Then in my downtime, will rewatch expanse season 1 in french with dual subs on amazon (found a chrome extension that allows for this!).

I also really liked this thread on the forum talking about fitness and language goals.
Erm, fitness also has slid quite a bit lol but i very much enjoyed reading everyone's goals haha.
For instance, today I did a workout 21-15-9 squat cleans 30kg and ring dips at abt 15mins, when i did it in like 13 or 12mins one year ago. but what matters is I actually worked out i think! :)
3 x

humerusthings
Orange Belt

Re: Humerusthings' French/German/ Icelandic log

Postby humerusthings » Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:59 pm

so many sources of inspiration in this forum!
just signed up for the 6WC for french! hmmm i guess if i can hit abt 5 hours i'll be really happy :)
also due to that, chanced upon radioclare's log. v inspiring!!

here's my log for yesterday and today (logging daily for a short time til the inspiration runs out lol)
3/8/21
french

- assimil 78-80 passive wave

german

- german pod monthly dose of german
- Warum Nicht? chapter 1+2
- abt 10 mins of tribes of europa? + learnt some new german vocab, abt 16 words so far?

4/8/21
french

- 1 hr of audible (french short stories for beginners by f bibard) - ie story 1 and about half of story 6
5 x

Christi
Orange Belt
Languages: Dutch (N), English (C1), German (B1), Korean (high A2-low B1?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=7574

Postby Christi » Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:04 pm

How do you find Tribes of Europa? I watched it for a bit, but eventually dropped it. Wasn't quite what I expected it to be like. Guess it also didn't help that I finished The 100 before starting this show :lol:
1 x
2020 resolution words learned: 472 / 1000
Pages read at end of 2020: 220 / 1500

humerusthings
Orange Belt

Postby humerusthings » Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:56 pm

Christi wrote:How do you find Tribes of Europa? I watched it for a bit, but eventually dropped it. Wasn't quite what I expected it to be like. Guess it also didn't help that I finished The 100 before starting this show :lol:

I've been literally watching it only for the language learning, not for the entertainment value, and due to my extremely beginner german stage, every word is new so I've been progressing extremely slowly in terms of the show, but learning quite a few german words along the way haha!

Ooh shall check out the 100 as well then! Any other similar shows to recommend? I really like the dystopian/ apocalyptic genre :)

I watched the expanse/ altered carbon with french dubs, I enjoyed them a lot!
2 x

humerusthings
Orange Belt

Postby humerusthings » Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:55 am

French log 5/8/21
- 15mins of DELF A1s study with a practice book
- 20 words anki (5000 most common words)
- 2 pages of harry potter + anki
- total anki time abt 15mins
- 1 hr of coffee break french s3 (ep 10-12) on drive to work and back
===

I have to say that signing up for the 6wc has been really inspiring so far! Although I'm still doing that thing where i ricochet between all my different resources, lol, but at least I've studied french consistently for 3 days! So far at 3hrs, so quite close to my goal of 5 hrs (yeah, low expectations means that it's quite easy to hit my goals hehe).

Also it's nice that i can log even small bits of time e.g 15mins of harry potter + anki which I did pre-shift yesterday, and it all adds up. it was also a nice slice of opportunity that I had the car yesterday, so had 30mins there and back to listen to coffee break french!

I've been toying with a crazy idea of doing a mini nanowrimo and writing a french scifi novel. I've always wanted to write a novel, and indeed, made many lame first attempts in english, but these never quite came to fruition. For some reason, writing a french novel seems less lame as even if it's not super literary, at least I'll have accomplished something and perhaps improved my french on the way?

Also had the crazy idea of signing up for DELF A2 in november this year. It's probably impossible, especially with my new postings/ responsibilities at work. In fact, I almost think language learning is my form of escapism from the hundreds of neverending to do lists of things. actually, it almost definitely is my source of escape and relaxation from a crazy work day haha. but who ever knows, maybe one day knowing all these extra languages will help at work too! (It definitely would help if I was overseas travelling but now with covid situation, travelling is like a pipe dream, so moot point).

For now, I'll just be content with my aims of one day finishing assimil with ease and easy french step by step haha.
2 x

humerusthings
Orange Belt

Postby humerusthings » Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:49 am

Had quite a nice morning studying session of french today! Much more grammar than i've been able to study for ages!
Now will need to go back to studying about ecgs/ toxicology/ xrays and night shift later tonight!
Probably will just relax post night with some language learning on netflix tmr ;p

French log 6/8/21
- 30mins of chapter 3 of easy french step by step (present tense)
- 20mins of chapter 15 of easy french step by step (future tense)
- CBF S3 EP 6 - Future tense
- CBF S3 ep 10, 11 - revision + learning about the subjunctive
(total coffee break french time abt 1 hr)
3 x

humerusthings
Orange Belt

Postby humerusthings » Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:01 pm

French
7/8/21
- linguno 15mins

13/8/21
- assimil 82-86 passive (abt 1 hr)
- assimil lesson 9 active (1 hr)
> so the reason it took so long is that I actually recorded myself doing this, and made a movie on imovie with french and english subtitles and all. now have a 1.5mins mp4 of myself speaking french! Very proud of this for some odd reason.
> also, my active lessons is clearly way behind the passive. lol. but I think at the rate i'm doing a few lessons each week or so, can have some hope to finish the passive wave this year. active... maybe never the rate it's going haha.

- french today youtube video on trains - 7mins+, 6mins+ video on hiking in provence
- 1/2 ep of the expanse s1 ep 2 (rewatch) + making vocab cards on notion
3 x

humerusthings
Orange Belt

Postby humerusthings » Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:16 pm

French
15/8/21
- CBF S3 ep 13 - listened to podcast
- CBF s3 ep 12 - revised the extended versh + made notes
- total cbf 1 hr

16/8/21
- assimil 87-88 - 25mins

===
This 6WC has been really fun so far and a welcome relaxation from stressors at work :)
However there have been so many arrows coming my way that I literally now, need to sit down and work. haha.
Nevertheless, i consider it an achievement to have studied 8 hrs of french so far!

I'll probably tail it down after i hit assimil lesson 90 (89 and 90 are fun lessons on tour de france!), and maybe abt CBF ep 15? That will probably bring me to about 10 hrs if I add in some netflix/ grammar study.

Then for the rest of August, my aims will be on clearing the mountain of work I've got as well as starting to go back to the gym since my gym opened back up!

In September i'll still be super busy but with some luck i'll be able to get maybe 1 italki lesson in if I have a day off, one can hope!
4 x

Return to “Language logs”