Humerusthings log: German & French Log through Assimil 2024

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
humerusthings
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Chinese (GCSE A levels), Korean (~A2?), French (A1), German (Beginner), Icelandic (Beginner).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7372

Re: Humerusthings' French/German/ Icelandic log

Postby humerusthings » Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:04 am

weekly-ish updates

german
- 17 aug 30mins of german netflix (nailed it)
- 31st aug assimil 4-10
- 1st sept
- 30mins of learn german youtube
- 1 hr of grammar - learnt the present tense - Your German Teacher (luzi)

french
17/8/21
- CBF S3 ep 18 and 19 - total 40mins (listened to podcast)
- easy french youtube (french guys - 7 mins, tea vs coffee 8mins)

19/8/21
- took a french online test that placed me around A2? (but i have doubts as i can't complete a delf A1 paper without using an online dictionary..)
- cbf travel diaries season 2 ep 1 and abit of 2 ~30mins

28/8/21
- 25mins of little witch academia (this was super enjoyable... haha)
====
not too bad considering my low expectations!!
Have found really good youtube resources for learning german:
Your german teacher: https://www.youtube.com/c/YourGermanTeacher + signed up for their patreon!
Learn german: https://www.youtube.com/c/LearnGermanOriginal
2 x
: 19 / 40 Coffee Break French S3
: 88 / 113 Assimil French With Ease
: 3 / 16 Easy French Step by Step
: 33 / 100 Assimil German With Ease
: 4 / 20 Easy German Step by Step

humerusthings
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Chinese (GCSE A levels), Korean (~A2?), French (A1), German (Beginner), Icelandic (Beginner).

Postby humerusthings » Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:27 am

6 week challenge has ended!! I'm quite pleased with how I managed to do some language studying in the middle of nonstop shift work :)

Ended at rank 14, with 12 hours 50mins of French and 3 hours of German!

I was so inspired by my experience tracking language studying that I got into toggl which helps me to track my time for everything else like studying for work, fitness, gaming... and I found that this week most of my time went towards playing computer games... oops. The reason is that i found a really fun computer game called humankind. But usually the bulk of my leisure time goes towards watching netflix (usually in french or korean)... haha. So will make an effort to game less and do more language learning in my leisure time I think.
5 x

humerusthings
Orange Belt

Postby humerusthings » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:52 am

Random wrapup of language learning since last update!

German
1. Assimil 11-18
2. Your German Teacher A1.1 course Lesson 1 and halfway through lesson 2
- really enjoying this course! initially started with their youtube videos then their patreon. It's a good structured grammar course for total beginners i think! highly reccomended. but it is a little expensive i guess, although still around the same as going to physical classes at goethe (?). their youtube videos are also good and free! :)
- love love love the textbooks and workbook with the simplicity and color haha
3. Wheel Of Time in German - 30mins (listen with audible and downloaded the book on kindle)

French
1. Ep 2-4 of Little Witch Academia in French
2. Kwiziq 30mins
3. 45mins Delf A1 study with udemy
4. 25mins innerfrench YouTube videos

===
Due to time limits and brain limits, have decided to focus more on german, and grammar for the time being. Will focus back on french later on once my german is more solidified. But watching tv series brainlessly on netflix post night shifts is always lovely, kind of like chicken souo for the (exhausted and sleepy) soul haha.
4 x

humerusthings
Orange Belt

Postby humerusthings » Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:59 pm

German Updates
- Your German Teacher A1.1 lesson 2, 3, and part of Lesson 4
- your german teacher youtube - A1 writing 15mins, nominative and accusative cases 30mins
- Assimil 19-21 20mins

Korean Updates
- Up to episode 8 of Hospital Playlist Season 1
(note: I'm purely watching this for enjoyment however I guess on the bright side, it keeps whatever little of the language i remember fresh-er? haha. I honestly haven't studied Korean grammar for literally YEARS. However the other day I cracked open one of my sogang textbooks and I can still read and understand Korean! was v amazed.)

My current strategy is to focus on german, through the Your German Teacher course I bought, really enjoying it so far! It's the closest i can get to a structured classroom approach what with the current covid restrictions and my even more restrictive schedule, so it was a really good find!! Hope they release A1.2 soon! What I'm really enjoying is the structured approach and the workbooks and textbooks (which I annotate on my ipad). I mean definitely learning a language is a long haul but at least if i tick off A1.2, A1.2, A2.1, then I feel like i'm progressing through the levels (as opposed to french where I seem to be permanantly stuck at A1. after ages of on and off learning french, I still need to google translate my way through the DELF A1 exercise book!)

OK, off to watch some youtube vids on the dative cases!
4 x

humerusthings
Orange Belt

Re: Humerusthings log: German through Wheel of Time

Postby humerusthings » Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:01 pm

German
- yourgerman teacher youtube
* 20 common words, 40 common adjectives, hobbies [A1 playlist] abt 1 hr
* lesen A1 - abt 20-30mins
- assimil
* 22-26 - first pass
* 1-2 revision.
- Wheel of Time 26mins - currently at page 2, it takes very long as I have to look up each word haha but really enjoying it!

Korean
- the entirety of Squid game
- 1 ep of hospital playlist

====
My german intro paragraph! :)
Hallo! Est ist schon, Sie kennenzulernen! Ich bin humerusthings. Ich wohne in Singapur. Ich bin einunddreiBig. Ich lerne Deutsch. Ich bin Artzin. Ich reise gerne une mein LieBlingssport ist Crossfit.
4 x

german2k01
Green Belt
Languages: English, Urdu, and German

Postby german2k01 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:31 am

Gut gemacht for German learning!
1 x

humerusthings
Orange Belt

Postby humerusthings » Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:12 am

wow it's been a long time!

french
mainly watching stuff on netflix
- summit of the gods
- christmas flow (~45mins x 3)

german
- lesson 4 of your german teacher A1 course: der die das/ adjektive/ zahlen 100-1 million
- coffee break german 1:01

sometimes i wonder what my motivation for learning languages is, apart from the fact that i just love learning them?
part of it usually is to travel and speak it as well, or to speak it at work.
for instance, how i got into german is that i really want to travel to germany; also i really love hiking in switzerland and the part of switzerland i really like is mainly german speaking (although that entails swiss german, but i'll cross one bridge at a time haha)
4 x

humerusthings
Orange Belt

Postby humerusthings » Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:05 am

german
- ygt - kein vs nicht
- audible: the ultimate guide to talking online in german - #1-4
highlights of phrases i've learnt:
- ich kann nich mehr
- wann ist endlich wochen ende?
- gutes essen mit guten Freunden
- schokoladen ist ziemlichlecker

i have - tons- of random learn german and french books i bought with audible credits, no idea when i'd finish them haha

french
15/6/22
30mins youtube ashker no man’s sky
july
- 1st - 3 eps of totally spies in french
- 2nd - french comprehensible input (youtube) #1
2 x

humerusthings
Orange Belt

Postby humerusthings » Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:19 pm

Hello folks, it has been ages since i last posted..have still been reading everyone's inspiring progress though!
I opened my own log so as to check where I last left off on my German Assimil actually

Got inspired by Busuu's reccent sale to pick up language learning again, and it's a huge stress relief from the mountains of work i have to do somehow. very..calming?

German
- started Busuu A1, abt 10-15mins a day for the past week! so far really liking it, very bite sized, encouraging, perfect for jumping back in after a long time
- bought easy german step by step on kindle
- dusted off my yourgermanteacher course i bought ages ago and tried to refresh my memory on the first 4 lessons and textbook and workbook. all i can say is. my memory is so dusty there are cobwebs, even though it's a virtual course lol.

Korean
I have done 0 formal korean study for the longest time but still do watch plenty of Korean dramas on netflix/ disney etc, so i think there must be some semblance of informal language learning going on? a good excuse to watch dramas for sure. the last one was moving on disney, which was great! highly reccomended.
Went to Korea for a trip reccently, didn't have time to do any formal language revision but was forced to use my very scarce language skills to communicate- at least i can still ask basic impt things like "where is the toilet, how much is it, we want a table for 2 people". Also went to Crossfit in Korea and was able to have a conversation with the other gym members in (very basic) Korean and understand like 50% of what they were saying? so that was a huge motivation on the language learning front for me. but Korean is a language i've been (formally and informally) learning for many years now with a lot of exposure to dramas/music in the background, and also the only language i went for formal classes for, so it makes sense that i still have a working (basic) memory of the language despite not formally studying it for so long.
Wish that were the case for french and german as well!

my german is at the stage that if i can intro myself i'd be really happy
ich bin humerusthings, ich spreche English, ich lerne Deutsch. Ich leise gerne. mein liebelingssport crossfit.
freut mich!
4 x

humerusthings
Orange Belt

Re: Humerusthings log: German & French Log through Assimil 2023

Postby humerusthings » Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:31 am

Since i'm back on a language learning roll (well starting out slowly again to be specific), thought i'd post my progress here to keep myself motivated!

mon 11 dec
- 15 mins bussu
- revised assimil lesson 1-7

Tues 12th dec
- revised assimil lesson 8-10
- easy german step by step chapter 3, 4, started on chapter 5
- haben, sein, wohnen verbs

Assuming I can do about 10 assimil lessons a week for revision (i did until lesson 26 previously), I think I can aim to finish revising until lesson 26 + start a few new lessons by end of december...
shall aim to reach Assimil German lesson 30 by end december, Assimil lesson 50 by end jan 2024?

For Easy German step by step, I aim to get to lesson 10 by end of december.
For bussu- aim to finish the A1 course by end january (yes a lil too optimistic, but it's fun to plan... haha. also i've got bussu on my mobile so it's fairly easy)
Honestly it's easy to breeze through everything, question is how much I can retain
flipping through my german notebook and seeing verb conjugations i've written down like a year ago but i can't remember any of it!

Hoping to do 1-2 german italki classes in december as well, to consolidate the knowledge.

Was thinking about what I aim to achieve in German... actually i'm not too sure for now. i just really enjoy the challenge of learning a new language, getting stuck into the grammar and all. it's definitely nice to speak a language when in the country but practically speaking its impossible to learn a language so fast, so im not going to set any strict timelines to be able to communicate when i'm travelling to german speaking countries or anything, i mean if i can understand more stuffs, all the better, but I'd like to be realistic here.

But in the far future, definitely I do like Germany/Austria/Switzerland where German is spoken and it would be really nice to be able to converse in German when i'm travelling. and I really do want to take a language exam sometime soon so german A1 would be really nice to have. perhaps.... at end of 2024? one can hope, for now, will just get stuck into assimil/buusu/ easy german step by step! cheers everyone and enjoy the holidays~
2 x

Return to “Language logs”