Humerusthings log: German & French Log through Assimil 2024

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
humerusthings
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Chinese (GCSE A levels), Korean (~A2?), French (A1), German (Beginner), Icelandic (Beginner).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7372

Re: Sketching in Provence 2018 + Seoul Searching 2019

Postby humerusthings » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:30 pm

Korean log for 2/6/18:
Had another Korean italki lesson today! I have no idea when I'll next be able to have Korean italki lessons cos I'm going to be so busy after this holiday is over :( But, it was really fun trying out new korean teachers on italki! Today I tried yet another teacher, he's really nice and friendly! I can definitely feel my Korean conversation skills improving from my first korean class with Seulgi ages and ages ago haha. But he's right, I can speak and understand Korean but the accuracy is not quite there.

He uses this site from Sejong Hakdang which I went to check out after the lesson, and it's literally a gold mine of Korean language learning!
http://www.sejonghakdang.org/opencourse ... re/list.do

Had quite a nice time working through the lessons!

Learnt 33 new vocab today as well as 2 grammar points ( -기 바라다 - i hope/ i wish and ~ 더라 - recollecting a past experience)

Also chanced upon this cool sentence when looking through howtostudykorean.com:
포스가 함께 하기를 바랍니다
ie: may the force be with you (in Korean) ;p

Ideallyyy if I really had time for regular italki classes then I would probably stick with this teacher as well as Seulgi and have classes 1-2x/week, but nah, not going to happen for the forseeable future. It was great having the free-talking practice though! I also really loved the site he reccomended and I can see myself learning tons of vocab and grammar from it so that was v. useful. I realized from this (and also from prev exam studying sessions) that I learn best with videos/ someone talking to me with the ppt flashing on the screen haha. I don't study well from textbooks or from notes at all! I guess I need the auditory and visual component to help me remember whatever content is being taught.
2 x
: 19 / 40 Coffee Break French S3
: 88 / 113 Assimil French With Ease
: 3 / 16 Easy French Step by Step
: 33 / 100 Assimil German With Ease
: 4 / 20 Easy German Step by Step

humerusthings
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Chinese (GCSE A levels), Korean (~A2?), French (A1), German (Beginner), Icelandic (Beginner).

Re: Sketching in Provence 2018 + Seoul Searching 2019

Postby humerusthings » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:52 pm

So, I finally took one more step towards a long held dream - to walk the Camino in Spain! - booked the air tix and will be going sometime in September!

That of course inspired me to start studying Spanish!
Using the usual treasure trove of well-trodden Resources, I started studying Spanish with great gusto the past few days
- Asssimil Spanish - 1st 3 lessons
- Coffee Break Spanish - 1st 2 eps
- Duolingo - did first 2 skills

So far, only know the very basic, but I'm not really needing to read literature in Spanish, just literally survival skills is what i need ;p
Super excited to both go on the journey and also to learn a new language :):) Has anyone here walked the camino before? I'm also really excited to meet people and hopefully converse in my (limited) Korean and French haha

Keeping up the French studying - did coffee break french season 2 ep 3 and 6 on 4/6/18 (before I booked the airtix haha)
3 x

humerusthings
Orange Belt

Re: Humerusthings' Log - Korean + French + Spanish/ Camino 2018!

Postby humerusthings » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:13 pm

French/ Spanish log

7/6/18 Thurs
Am - Coffee break french season 1 ep 20 and 21 + 5 kqwizes on the subway to work
pm - chillaxing post a long day - spanish duolingo! + getting my feet wet with grammar with https://spanishobsessed.com/

8/6/18 Fri

Post another looong day - half of coffee break spanish ep 3 and 1 ep of coffee break french (season 1 ep 32).

Trying to finish up coffee break french season 1 before I start earnestly on season 2!

I'm a little torn between french and spanish now - I really do love french, it's such a beautiful language and I enjoy studying it. However I also know I need to learn spanish before, well, I go off for a one week hike in the spanish countryside in September! While French and Korean were different enough that they seemed to occupy different parts of my brain, French and Spanish are slightly similar so I'm worried that I might confuse the two? Plus they have some grammar similarities as well? Any advice guys? How to deal with the language version of wanderlust? Haha
0 x

humerusthings
Orange Belt

Postby humerusthings » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:56 pm

So now that I got all excited about picking up my next new language Spanish, have been having a little bit of a philosophical problem since I know there is actually no way that I can juggle 3 languages at once (plus work and study). However eventually I decided to follow a few principles

1) study whatever language I feel like studying that day - not to stick to any rigid schedule - cos it would be stressful if I couldn't stick to it
2) to try (this isnt always successful) to stick to one language a day, so as not to confuse (esp between french and spanish). I haven't really stuck to this THAT well since sometimes I feel like listening to coffee break french on the way to work and doing a duolingo spanish lesson at night, haha. But it works out ok since French and Spanish actually has a very different... feel? And accent and cultures, so I don't really end up being thaat confused.
3) to find what I really want to do with each language and focus on what would make me happy with each language and tailor my study towards that

For instance, for Korean, I just want to be able to chat with Koreans, so chatting with my newfound korean friend on kakao talk makes me happy, don't really need to mug the grammar for now. (although I am a grammar nerd when it comes to Korean, I LOVE studying new Korean grammar, but actually i can communicate just fine on kakao talk without complicated intermediate grammar haha). For spanish, it's survival spanish so I can order coffee etc, so the spanish coffee break episode on ordering coffee makes me so happy!
For French- I actually want to join doctors without borders next time so I think I need a little more higher level French, not to mention medical french but for now the aim is just to immerse myself in it and listen to loads of french youtubes/ coffee break french etc. Will focus more on French (properly) after my Spain trip in Sept. The funny thing is there is alot of stuff on medical spanish but not much on medical french out there.

French
- Duolingo 51/96
- finished all of season 1 of coffee break french, currently on about ep 4 and 5 of season 2!
- really really enjoying the Easy Languages on youtube! They have both French/ Spanish and loads of other languages. It's a light listen and also trains the listening skills, learnt loads of new vocab too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bb4zvZdrMz4
- I really really wanted to book an italki lesson with Lea my french teacher, she is SO awesome, but the scheduling didn't work out :( maybe see how my next posting goes.

Spanish
- up to lesson 10 with Assimil with ease!
- booked a lesson with an italki tutor - scheduled for this sat. Looking forward to it! I'm aiming to have a lesson every Saturday til I fly off to Spain, so that would be about 3 months of once a week lessons? Actually not sure how it's going to turn out since I'm honestly still a beginner at Spanish, and italki is actually better for sort of conversations? Once you can actually speak in the language? But trying to get myself up to speed between now and then and let's see how much of a conversation I can hold! Kind of a challenge for myself.
- getting tempted by FSI spanish too, reading loads of reviews... haha
- 12/ 113 on Duolingo
- aiming to finish the duolingo tree before sept 2018

Korean
- not much official studying. watching korean dramas, chatting with a korean frend on kakaotalk (met her on italki!)

So in summary, loads of bits and pieces here, but at least I'm focusing on the parts of the languages that make me happy! Haha.

The next few months are going to be busy, I'm going to try to focus on survival spanish, aim is to be able to have simple conversations in spain in september, the more I understand the more fun the trip will be I think haha. Just going to maintain my french and korean and study randomly, but hopefully oct-december I can finish french assimil with ease?
1 x

Mohave
Orange Belt
Languages: English (Native),
French (enjoying and still learning the language)
Spanish (Beginner)
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.org/vi ... f=15&t=766

Postby Mohave » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:30 pm

humerusthings wrote:
Spanish
- up to lesson 10 with Assimil with ease!
- booked a lesson with an italki tutor - scheduled for this sat. Looking forward to it! I'm aiming to have a lesson every Saturday til I fly off to Spain, so that would be about 3 months of once a week lessons? Actually not sure how it's going to turn out since I'm honestly still a beginner at Spanish, and italki is actually better for sort of conversations? Once you can actually speak in the language? But trying to get myself up to speed between now and then and let's see how much of a conversation I can hold! Kind of a challenge for myself.
- getting tempted by FSI spanish too, reading loads of reviews... haha
- 12/ 113 on Duolingo
- aiming to finish the duolingo tree before sept 2018

Sounds like a good plan! I look forward to following your progress as I have just started my Spanish adventure also - and am essentially in the same lesson as you on Assimil. I have a trip to Costa Rica in December that I am using as a goal for my Spanish, and am also working through Pimsleur Spanish - I should complete Level 1 this week. I have found Pimsleur very helpful in Spanish and French (which I completed all 5 levels) - particularly when I was preparing to travel to a Francophone country. They are expensive, but many times they are available from the library. I am also using Spanish For Reading by Karl Sandburg and DuoLingo. Lastly, Fenderman recommended an A1 level book, Meurte en Buenos Aires, which I downloaded from Amazon last night. It's nice to be able to "read" a story. He has a link in his log. Happy Language Learning!
1 x
Spanish Motivation: Dec 2018 - Costa Rica
Spanish Pimsleur 3: 6 / 30 Assimil: 56 / 100
Spanish Super Challenge Books: 2 / 50 Movies: 0 / 100
French Super Challenge Books: 24 / 100 Movies: 22 / 100

My Goodreads

humerusthings
Orange Belt

Postby humerusthings » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:07 pm

Mohave wrote:Sounds like a good plan! I look forward to following your progress as I have just started my Spanish adventure also - and am essentially in the same lesson as you on Assimil. I have a trip to Costa Rica in December that I am using as a goal for my Spanish, and am also working through Pimsleur Spanish - I should complete Level 1 this week. I have found Pimsleur very helpful in Spanish and French (which I completed all 5 levels) - particularly when I was preparing to travel to a Francophone country. They are expensive, but many times they are available from the library. I am also using Spanish For Reading by Karl Sandburg and DuoLingo. Lastly, Fenderman recommended an A1 level book, Meurte en Buenos Aires, which I downloaded from Amazon last night. It's nice to be able to "read" a story. He has a link in his log. Happy Language Learning!

Thanks Mohave! I was just reading your log today actually haha. I'll check out those reccomendations, esp pimsleur! Do you find it is easier to learn Spanish after French, or do the similarities make you get confused? (my greatest worry, esp since my french is really only at A1-A2 level).
0 x

humerusthings
Orange Belt

Postby humerusthings » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:19 pm

Spent some time playing around with infographics and made this!

It's not really in order just a collection of my favourite resources so far!

3 x

humerusthings
Orange Belt

Postby humerusthings » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:52 pm

Had a surprisingly good language learning day today! Finished work early and listened to 3 coffee break spanish podcasts on the way home on the subway, did loads of spanish duolingo over dinner. Then my brother was checking out FSI fast French since I had introduced him to it, and we did the first 4 chapters. Fun stuff :)
1 x

humerusthings
Orange Belt

Postby humerusthings » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:36 pm

Spanish Learning Log
- Doing a little bit of duolingo per day, playing around with Spanish memrise too
- Playing around with the FSI Spanish, done a few units - to be very honest I haven't been able to get myself to go through all the drills properly. But I find the dialogue and the vocab I learn from it to be very useful! So just doing however much catches my fancy each day and learning quite a bit from it in the process
- Had my first Spanish Italki class today! It went really well, I can introduce myself and understood loads of vocab (seeing how I only started studying Spanish about 2 weeks+ ago), but the teacher was also really nice and spoke very slowly so that's probably why. He seems experienced with complete beginners so it's going to be a good foundation I can tell! Hoping to do 1 italki class every saturday so that will be about 12 classes before I fly off to Spain!
- Checked out Easy Spanish Step by Step and learnt about Ser and Estar

As is probably obvious, I'm in the new honeymoon phase of studying a language where I'm soaking up vocab and grammar and exploring new resources and everything is fun haha. On one hand, I know that after this week I may be busier and not be able to spend so much time on languages, on the other hand I really am so tempted to treat it like a language challenge - learn a language in 3 months kind of thing and the sudden booking of a trip to Spain really kicked my language learning engine into overdrive.

I guess, at the minimum, it's not a bad idea to learn new vocab and grammar, and communicate better with people in the country. For really essential things to express myself, I think they're probably used to tourists anyway. I really am enjoying the easy languages youtube videos too as they provide a window into the culture and languages of the various countries.

My minimum aims before I fly off to Spain
- 2 more italki lessons with this amazing teacher i found
- 1 italki lesson with a teacher who actually lives in Santiago (but I need to be quite advanced and able to have a simple conversation as she doesnt understand english!)
- finish half of Spanish Duolingo
- finish Season 1 of Coffee Break Spanish

I think this is doable and will allow me to enjoy the trip much better! :)

Korean
Had a lovely 1 hour chat on skype with a new conversation partner! We did half an hour in english then half an hour in Korean, and we'll probably be meeting next week too to go through a news article! Looking forward to that.
1 x

humerusthings
Orange Belt

Postby humerusthings » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:42 pm

Inspired by my Spanish Italki class as well as the happy discovery of Spanish Kwiziq (plus a free 7 day premium trial of the aforementioned Kwiziq), made another infographic for weather terms in spanish!

2 x

Return to “Language logs”