Josquin's Classical Log - Graeca non leguntur

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Josquin
Blue Belt
Languages: German (native); English (advanced fluency); French (basic fluency); Italian, Swedish, Russian, Irish (intermediate); Dutch, Icelandic, Japanese, Portuguese, Scottish Gaelic (beginner); Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Sanskrit (reading only)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=737

Re: Josquin's Ceol agus Ól - Irish and more

Postby Josquin » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:53 pm

Go raibh míle maith agaibh go léir, a chairde! Tá mé an-bhuíoch díbh as bhur mbeannachtaí uile.

Thank you all very much, my friends! I very much appreciate all your good wishes. :)
0 x
Oró, sé do bheatha abhaile! Anois ar theacht an tsamhraidh.

Josquin
Blue Belt
Languages: German (native); English (advanced fluency); French (basic fluency); Italian, Swedish, Russian, Irish (intermediate); Dutch, Icelandic, Japanese, Portuguese, Scottish Gaelic (beginner); Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Sanskrit (reading only)

Postby Josquin » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:11 pm

SATURDAY, 25 MARCH 2017

This will be a rather short post. I haven't done much in my languages despite the enthusiasm I had at the beginning of the month. I've mainly been busy with other stuff and I'm still suffering a little bit from head aches and problems to concentrate. I know I've said this several times now, but I guess I'm just not that much into languages any more. Most of my time is now taken up by work on my dissertation, my part-time job, and my music. There's just not much time and energy left for studying languages.

Gaeilge

Not much to report. Just listening to Raidió na Gaeltachta from time to time. Quite interesting although I don't always understand a lot! I'd need to to work on my vocabulary in order to change that. Reading in Irish would be a great way to do that, but I simply don't get around to it. I should work on my grammar and my active skills as well, but I just don't feel like it. Well, let's wait and see till things brighten up again.

On a more positive note, I'm going to Ireland this summer again if my health permits, so maybe another chance for a visit to the Gaeltacht. We'll see.

Wanderlust

Not wanderlusting at the moment. I've stopped my Hebrew and Thai studies due to lack of interest. If I had the time, I'd do some Japanese, but I don't really feel like it right now. I'm really into singing and music in general at the moment and my languages are the victims of this.
5 x

Josquin
Blue Belt

Postby Josquin » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:53 am

MONDAY, 5 JUNE 2017

Hello everybody,

it has been a little while since I last posted something in this log and on the forum in general. The reason is simple. I'm still suffering from health problems which only slowly improve. So, instead of marvelling at the wonders of Irish grammar and the like, I'm supposed to take it easy and not to strain my concentration too much. Actually, doing nothing is driving me nuts, but it can't be helped at the moment. I hope the rest of you is getting on with their studies. As soon as I'm able to study again, I'll be going back to Irish and start reading novels. Until then, it's watching Downton Abbey (in English), occasional singing (in German, English, French, Italian, and Latin ;) ), and relaxing a lot. Not what I call an optimal way to pass the time, but I have to be patient right now.

Best of luck to all of you! I hope to get back in the saddle as soon as possible.
4 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:47 pm

Hope you'll feel better soon, Josquin. I miss seeing you around here.
3 x

Josquin
Blue Belt

Postby Josquin » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:52 am

iguanamon wrote:Hope you'll feel better soon, Josquin. I miss seeing you around here.

Obrigado, meu amigo!
2 x

Teango
Blue Belt
Languages: en (n)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 9&p=235545

Postby Teango » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:58 am

Go raibh tú ar do sheanléim arís go gairid, a chara! If you get too restless in the meantime, you could always spice things up by watching some episodes of Downton Abbey in Mandarin...apparently the popularity of this quintessentially British series has led to butlers being all the rage in China these days. :?
Last edited by Teango on Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
4 x

Josquin
Blue Belt

Postby Josquin » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:50 am

Teango wrote:Go raibh tú ar do sheanléim arís go gairid, a chara! If you get too restless in the meantime, you could always spice things up by watching some episodes of Downtown Abbey in Mandarin...apparently the popularity of this quintessentially British series has led to butlers being all the rage in China these days. :?

Go raibh míle maith agat, a chara!

Watching Downton Abbey in Mandarin would be very tempting, if only I knew any Mandarin besides "ni hao"... :lol:
3 x

Josquin
Blue Belt

Postby Josquin » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:57 pm

SUNDAY, 2 JULY 2017

Dia daoibh, a chairde!

I'm glad to be back again, because today, for the first time in months, I studied a little bit of Irish. Buíochas le Dia! I still can't concentrate very well over longer periods of time, but I nevertheless managed to go through some dialogues and texts from Irisch für Anfänger and Learning Irish.

I'm still planning on diving into native materials as soon as my concentration is better, but I also noticed I will have to work on my active skills again and repeat a thing or two from the aforementioned textbooks. My Irish has got quite rusty over the last few months, so I will have to brush it up again. I might reconsider listening to Raidió na Gaeltachta or watching TG4 as well.

In other news, I'll finally have a go at Ancient Greek! I've always wanted to know it and I already have some basic knowledge of it thanks to my university studies, but I've never got to the point where I could really use it or even read for pleasure, which I can in Latin as long as it isn't poetry. I've had the JACT Reading Greek series sitting on my shelf for ages, so it's high time to finally put it to use.

So, this will be my next project, plus some dabbling in other languages. I still have a score to settle with Hebrew and Thai. And then there's still Persian and Portuguese. Wait, did I mention Japanese? Oh my... :roll:

Also, in totally other news, the German parliament legalised same-sex marriage on Friday, so all I need now is a husband-to-be! :D In any case, it was a great and historic day, which I truly enjoyed. 8-)
7 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:09 pm

Josquin wrote:I'm glad to be back again, because today, for the first time in months, I studied a little bit of Irish. Buíochas le Dia! I still can't concentrate very well over longer periods of time, but I nevertheless managed to go through some dialogues and texts from Irisch für Anfänger and Learning Irish.

I'm still planning on diving into native materials as soon as my concentration is better, but I also noticed I will have to work on my active skills again and repeat a thing or two from the aforementioned textbooks. My Irish has got quite rusty over the last few months, so I will have to brush it up again. I might reconsider listening to Raidió na Gaeltachta or watching TG4 as well.

Maith thú! I also started over a few days ago by picking up where I left off some months ago - Cuairt na Cruinne in Ochtó Lá / Around the world in eighty days (Jules Verne). RnaG is great for getting back on track. Even if I don't understand a whole lot of what they're saying, the language doesn't sound foreign. Just a matter of vocabulary and grammar. ;)
4 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Postby galaxyrocker » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:58 pm

Seeing you two get back into Irish really makes me want to rededicate myself to it now! Thanks guys, and glad you're feeling better Josquin.
4 x

Return to “Language logs”