Josquin's Classical Log - Graeca non leguntur

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Josquin
Blue Belt
Languages: German (native); English (advanced fluency); French (basic fluency); Italian, Swedish, Russian, Irish (intermediate); Dutch, Icelandic, Japanese, Portuguese, Scottish Gaelic (beginner); Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Sanskrit (reading only)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=737

Re: Josquin's Classical Log - Graeca non leguntur

Postby Josquin » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:11 pm

Expugnator wrote:I'm having the same issue with Hebrew as you do with Greek, so I've been taking pictures from the texts and ocr-translating them on Google Translate. Translation is not exact of course, but at least there are fewer words left to look out individually.

Good idea, but as I'm dealing with Ancient Greek, I doubt I'd have much success with Google Translate. It's always worth a try, of course, but I guess I'll just have to rack my brain more in order to translate the texts from now on... ;)

Anyway, it's only a few lessons to go. For the second volume of my textbook, I'll have translations available via the Internet again.
0 x
Oró, sé do bheatha abhaile! Anois ar theacht an tsamhraidh.

Josquin
Blue Belt
Languages: German (native); English (advanced fluency); French (basic fluency); Italian, Swedish, Russian, Irish (intermediate); Dutch, Icelandic, Japanese, Portuguese, Scottish Gaelic (beginner); Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Sanskrit (reading only)

Postby Josquin » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:11 pm

TUESDAY, 26 JUNE 2018

A very short update for today. I spent last week at my family's place in western Germany and had a lovely time with relations and friends. Now, I'm back at home and have made up my mind concerning my language studies.

After receiving my textbooks for Middle Egyptian and Classical Chinese, I decided to study neither of these languages for the time being. My interest in Egyptian isn't deep enough and Classical Chinese poses the problem that you need to know modern Mandarin first. However, I'm not really interested in Mandarin right now, so I won't take up Chinese now.

You can call me crazy, but instead I've ordered some easy bilingual readers in Japanese and a Russian edition of Tolstoy's Война и мир (War and Peace). So, instead of going into more and more languages, I might rather consolidate the ones I already know. I've never wanted to give up Japanese and watching the BBC mini series of War and Peace has rekindled my interest in the Russian classics.

So, I'm going to keep studying Ancient Greek and Sanskrit actively, dabble in Biblical Hebrew on the side, and maybe get a little bit of Japanese and Russian reading practice. However, I'm not going to do any Egyptian or Chinese for the time being. Perhaps another time... ;)
6 x

Josquin
Blue Belt

Postby Josquin » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:49 pm

WEDNESDAY, 27 JUNE 2018

Русский

Сегодня вечером я напишу что-нибудь на русском языке, потому что чемпионат мира сейчас в России и я опять интересуюсь русским языком. Ну, сегодня грустный день, так как Южная Корея победила Германию в футбол и наше команде нужно возвратиться домой.

Но это не единная причина, почему я пишу на русском. Вчера я купил русское издание романа Война и мир Льва Николаевича Толстого и я надеюсь, что мне удастся прочитать оно. Конечно, я не могу читать без словаря и мне иногда нужно будет использовать немецкий перевод, но я всё таки радуюсь чтению. Я долго не читал ни на русском языке ни русскую литературу вообще.

Война и мир -- важное произведение русской литературы и очень интересное. Я не скажу о чём идёт кроме того, что действие произходит во время Наполеона Бонапарта. Мы следуем судьбу трёх русских семей во время войны против Наполеона, и это очень увлекательно. Мне очень понравился английский сериал о романе и я надеюсь, что чтение книги будет точно так интересно.

日本語

こんばんは!今晩は日本語で書いて、日本語をまた習っていますから。でも、日本語で話しが下手だと思います。すみません!たくさん勉強しないなかればいけません。でも、勉強したいです。頑張ります!

Okay, I guess my Japanese was pretty off, but it has gotten really rusty. I'll have to refresh it a lot, as I tried to express above. Here's a translation of what I meant to say:

Good evening! Tonight, I'm going to write in Japanese, as I'm learning Japanese again. However, I think I'm really bad at speaking Japanese. Sorry! I must study a lot, but I want to study. I'll do my best!

Other than that, my Greek and Sanskrit studies are going well. My Hebrew is another story though... ;)

By the way, corrections are always more than welcome!
3 x

Josquin
Blue Belt

Postby Josquin » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:42 pm

THURSDAY, 28 JUNE 2018

Okay, against my prediction, I'm visiting the forum quite often at the moment and I'm writing quite a lot in this log. Well, I hope you don't mind, but the reason is simple: I'm bored out of my mind and I spend a great deal of time on languages right now. Why am I bored? Well, my part-time job doesn't challenge me at all, so I try to do just as much as necessary and, also, I can't work on my thesis, because I'm waiting for feedback from my supervisor. What's more, I don't really feel like singing and making music at the moment. Instead, I'm buying tons of books (in German and in foreign languages) about history, art, language, and literature, read a lot, and study languages. So, here it goes, another update for this week!

Русский

I received my Russian edition of War and Peace today and now I must admit it won't be easy. The language is, well, what you would expect of a highbrow work of art from the 19th century and then there's a lot of French passages among the Russian, which doesn't necessarily make it easier. Well, yeah, my French is better than my Russian, but I'm not as at ease at reading and understanding French as I am with English, so this will be quite a challenge. Also, there are no annotations, so it's just the Russian text, which doesn't help either. Maybe, I'd be better off reading something simpler first? But no, I resolved to read War and Peace, so I shall read War and Peace! I've never said I'd read all of it though... ;)

Ἑλληνική

I've almost finished my textbook! I'm on lesson 49 of 50 right now and I've already worked through the grammar for lesson 50 (plu-perfect). Lesson 49 mainly deals with the formation of the perfect tense for verba muta (i.e. verbs ending in p-, t-, and k-sounds), which is a little bit more complicated than for other verbs. Anyway, the Greek perfect tense does have its quirks, so it's not as easy as it looked like at first. Most of the time, it's reasonably straightforward to recognize though.

After completing Kairós 1, I'll continue with Kairós 2. I decided against Learn to Read Greek, because I like Kairós better. For the second volume, there are translations of the texts available on the Internet, so there hopefully won't be any problems with that.

עברית

I'm still chewing on lesson 44 in the Lambdin textbook. The excerpts from the Bible are getting tougher and tougher and it takes time to crack them. No particular problems with hif'il verbs though.

संस्कृतम्

I'm taking a short break from Sanskrit. I'm ahead of the online course anyway, so I'll have some time off this week. I'm still to do the exercises for ī- and ū-stems, but there's no rush. Next week, the course will deal with visarga sandhi, so I'll repeat the rules then. Om shanti...

日本語

And yes, I'm back with Japanese! Just as with Russian, I had to come to the conclusion that native materials are way over my head right now. Well, we're not talking about un-annotated classics of literature here, but annotated graded readers for beginners. So, it's back to kindergarten in the form of Genki I. I repeated the first units and, probably, I should do the exercises this time, so things really stick. It's not like I had forgotten everything, but my recollection is very limited at times, grammar as well as vocabulary. So, there's enough work to do... :roll:
4 x

Josquin
Blue Belt

Postby Josquin » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:14 pm

SUNDAY, 1 JULY 2018

So, here I go again between heaven-high resolutions and the ever-threatening risk of burn-out. The point is, at the beginning of a project, I have huge enthusiasm and the longer it goes, I'm getting less and less interested. The same is true for my languages. I have phases full of enthusiasm where I think I'm going to learn Sanskrit, Ancient Greek, Hebrew, Japanese, and Russian (and Classical Chinese and Ge'ez and...) in no time and then there are phases where language learning physically revolts me. It's hard for me to find a steady middle ground. I know I'm not bipolar, I have other troubles to deal with, but sometimes I certainly feel a bit manic-depressive. What has that to do with my current language studies? Well, you're going to find out... ;)

Русский

So, resolving to read Война и мир was literally the worst decision I could have taken in order to get back into Russian. The language is much too complex and demanding in order to be enjoyable for me. I have finished watching the BBC mini series now, so next thing will be reading the whole thing in German. Only after that can I ever imagine to be ready for this behemoth of Russian literature.

Other than that, I have started watching Кухня again. This is nice, enjoyable, and entertaining and with the help of leosmith's transcripts, I can even understand most of the dialogue. ;)

Gaeilge

I know I said I was finished with Irish, but I can't keep my hands off it. I read a page or two in An Leon, an Bandraoi agus an Prios Éadaigh and I was once more captivated by the beauty of this language (although the translator has a weird choice of words I can't really attribute to a special dialect). Maybe, I'm not done with Irish after all? We'll see...

Ἑλληνική

No progress in Greek since my last post. I thought about creating an Anki deck for the vocabulary from Kairós. I know I'm not really an Anki fan, but it can be effective sometimes and I do have a hard time cramming some of the words, which just don't want to stick. Well, maybe, I'll get around it today.

עברית

No Hebrew. No, no, no, no...

संस्कृतम्

Another week of the online course has begun. This time, it's all about visarga sandhi. I'm going to repeat the rules and then do the exercises. Sanskrit is pretty relaxed at the moment.

日本語

Another big resolution going down the drain. I do want to brush up my Japanese, but it might just be too much for the moment. Well, I'll try to squeeze in some time for it, but I don't know if it works out. Maybe, when I have finished my Hebrew textbook, I can fully concentrate on Japanese... But I'm not going to give up (yet)!
5 x

Josquin
Blue Belt

Postby Josquin » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:37 pm

THURSDAY, 5 JULY 2018

So, I have been studying only very sporadically again. In fact, I'm once again much more interested in cooking than in languages. While I used to explore other cultures through their languages so far, I now much more enjoy exploring them through their cuisine. I got some cooking books for Indian, Persian, Japanese, and Korean cuisine and I love exploring new tastes and recipes.

This sensual side of things has obviously been lacking in my language studies, which are a purely intellectual pastime, so this is quite new and exciting for me. Maybe, that's what I wanted to say when I told you my life had taken a new turn, away from purely intellectual pursuits to a more holistic perspective.

Be that as it may, I don't want to give up my languages (really!), but I can't report much progress either. So, just let me assure you I'll go on exploring different languages and cultures, especially Greek, Sanskrit, and Irish. Irish? Yes! I already told you I had gotten back to my Irish books and now that Iversen has taken up Irish again, I feel even more interested in this language. I ordered Cré na Cille on litriocht.com and a German translation called Grabgeflüster via my local book-seller.

I hope I can make reading Irish a regular thing, although I won't start with Cré na Cille. I'll first deal with An Leon, an Bandraoi agus an Prios Éadaigh and then with Dúil. Sorry for my inconsistencies and many changes in my study regimen, but I'm still in a period of change and I don't really know where it will take me yet.

So, thank you for bearing with me! I hope I'll settle on a reliable routine soon, so I can make good progress again. :)
7 x

renaissancemedici
Orange Belt
Languages: Greek (N), English (C2), French (B2), Italian (A2), German (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 25#p100832

Postby renaissancemedici » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:49 am

I enjoy cooking as well. I like the fact that you link it with languages and cultures. If you ever decide to explore the Greek cuisine there is only one thing to know, really: olive oil. It's worth exploring the traditional so called "fasting" foods and recipes, as they are basically vegan at its best.
1 x
I use Assimil right now as a starting point, but at the same time I am building the foundation for further studies of German.

Assimil German with ease: 8 / 100

Josquin
Blue Belt

Postby Josquin » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:43 am

Thanks for the suggestions, renaissancemedici! I'm not really a fan of vegan cooking, but I guess Greek cuisine has enough meat dishes to offer... ;)

I really only stopped by to post this: The Dubliners singing Oró, Sé do Bheatha 'Bhaile. I'm back at learning Irish, so what song could be more suitable to celebrate my "home-coming":

Oró, sé do bheatha abhaile
B'fhearr liom thú ná céad bó bhainne
Oró, sé do bheatha abhaile
Anois ar theacht an tsamhraidh

Oh, welcome back home
I'd rather have you than a hundred milk cows
Oh, welcome back home
Now that summer is coming

Enjoy!

Bonus track: A sean-nós version of the same song:

3 x

Josquin
Blue Belt

Postby Josquin » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:57 pm

SATURDAY, 7 JULY 2018

So, after an interesting experience of cooking Korean food (비빔밥 = Bibimbap) for the first time myself yesterday (the entire kitchen smelt like sesame oil and Gochujang chilli paste), I used today to clean the flat and study some languages. Here are my "results":

Gaeilge

Yes, I'm reading Irish again! While An Leon, an Bandraoi agus an Prios Éadaigh is reasonably easy to understand, reading a children's book bores me to death, so I took up Dúil again. I'll probably continue reading it with LWT, which is a very nifty tool for breaking into literature.

Ἑλληνική

I finished the first volume of Kairós. Hip, hip, hurray! :D The last lesson dealt with the plu-perfect, which isn't really difficult once you know the perfect tense. However, recognizing it in a text takes some practice, especially for "irregular" verbs.

I'll continue studying Ancient Greek with the second volume of Kairós, so there won't be any break. Let's keep going!

עברית

My Hebrew studies aren't really going well. While I did finish lesson 44 in Lehrbuch Bibel-Hebräisch today, I had a very hard time understanding the Bible excerpt. The story is still about Moses and the burning bush, but there were quite a lot of annotations and I could hardly make any sense out of it on my own, so I had to resort to the translation.

Well, I'm not studying Hebrew very seriously, so maybe this is only natural?! In any case, I just want to finish the textbook and then move on to a different language.

संस्कृतम्

Okay, it's revision week in the CIS online course and I finally got around doing the exercises of the last two weeks and taking this week's test. All went very well. I made very few mistakes and even got an A on my test! I don't really know what I'm going to revise though. Maybe, I'll skim through the book again and watch out for things I've forgotten or I'll take a look at the next chapter in advance.

In any case, Sanskrit is going fine and even sandhi isn't that big a deal any more.
4 x

renaissancemedici
Orange Belt
Languages: Greek (N), English (C2), French (B2), Italian (A2), German (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 25#p100832

Postby renaissancemedici » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:19 am

Josquin wrote:SATURDAY, 7 JULY 2018

Ἑλληνική

I finished the first volume of Kairós. Hip, hip, hurray! :D The last lesson dealt with the plu-perfect, which isn't really difficult once you know the perfect tense. However, recognizing it in a text takes some practice, especially for "irregular" verbs.

I'll continue studying Ancient Greek with the second volume of Kairós, so there won't be any break. Let's keep going!

Just dropping by to offer congratulations for finishing Kairos, and support for the future plans! Εὖγε!

(I'm not vegan either. :lol: In fact meat is vey appreciated here... I know a couple of vegetarians, but I'm not sure how long their determination will last.)
1 x
I use Assimil right now as a starting point, but at the same time I am building the foundation for further studies of German.

Assimil German with ease: 8 / 100

Return to “Language logs”