Josquin's Classical Log - Graeca non leguntur

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Josquin
Blue Belt
Languages: German (native); English (advanced fluency); French (basic fluency); Italian, Swedish, Russian, Irish (intermediate); Dutch, Icelandic, Japanese, Portuguese, Scottish Gaelic (beginner); Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Sanskrit (reading only)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=737

Re: Josquin's Ceol agus Ól

Postby Josquin » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:51 pm

@galaxyrocker: I have both a printed and an electronic version of the old Graiméar na Gaedhilge. I'm not quite sure where I got the electronic copy from, maybe Scribd. If you PM me your e-mail, I could send you a copy though. I already have the modern version, both in printed and in electronic form.

@sctroyenne: To be honest, that's where I got the inspiration from. :D I simply love this sketch! Did you know there's another one? Ceol agus Ól - Foil Arms and Hog
1 x
Oró, sé do bheatha abhaile! Anois ar theacht an tsamhraidh.

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Postby galaxyrocker » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:01 pm

Thanks for the offer, but I found it after a bit of Googling. Here is the URL of the Open Library link for anyone interested. It had some issues loading on the web PDF reader, but I was able to save it and haven't had any issues in Adobe.
1 x

SladeWilson
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), French (starting over), Esperanto (beginner - abandoned) Biblical Greek (beginner - on hold or abandoned)

Postby SladeWilson » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:45 pm

Josquin wrote:So, while I'm officially still doing Russian, Japanese, and Portuguese for the TAC, my focus has been on Irish for some time now. For those who don't know me, I'll summarize my experience with Irish briefly. I have always been interested in Celtic cultures, music, and languages and originally started my Gaelic journey with the Scottish variety.

Great, I always liked the sound of Celtic music! I have a couple of books on the Celts on my shelf, which unfortunately I haven't gotten around to. One is the Element Encyclopedia of the Celts. The entries I assume follow the rest of the series of Element Encyclopedias in being quite short and dense (I have another one on secret societies). I like the style, not expansive but packs a lot of entries in. They've published a few that interest me, and some that I'd just never buy.
0 x
COURSE LOAD
New French with Ease - Assimil: 0 / 113
I previously completed 30 from 113 of Assimi's New French with Ease lessons.
I will start the lessons over since I abandoned them long ago.

Josquin
Blue Belt
Languages: German (native); English (advanced fluency); French (basic fluency); Italian, Swedish, Russian, Irish (intermediate); Dutch, Icelandic, Japanese, Portuguese, Scottish Gaelic (beginner); Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Sanskrit (reading only)

Postby Josquin » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:03 pm

@galaxyrocker: Tá fáilte romhat!

@SladeWilson: Yes, I have quite some books about Celtic cultures and languages myself. Luckily, I can get most of them through my university library, so I needn't spend all my money on books. :D You can find quite a lot of Celtic music on Youtube, but I also have some old-fashioned CDs (Yes, kids, these small silvery discs... ;) ) with Celtic music, some of which I got in Dublin two years ago. For Irish ceol traidisiúnta, I really like the Chieftains and the more traditional stuff from the Dubliners.
1 x

Gaedheal92
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish

Postby Gaedheal92 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:48 pm

The old Dé Dannan stuff might be of interest to you if you're looking for bands, much of their stuff can be found on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiirccLoVkU

Track 3 is a very common Irish song often taught in school, Seamaisín. Most of my listening consists of stuff recorded pre 1950s!
3 x

tangleweeds
Green Belt
Languages: English (N)
beginner: Irish
clearing cobwebs: Japanese
on the shelf: French, Latin
wanderlust: Norwegian, Vietnamese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=705

Postby tangleweeds » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:00 am

Gaedheal92 wrote:Most of my listening consists of stuff recorded pre 1950s!

Do you have any suggestions for finding such pre-midcentury Irish recordings? I used to have some mp3s, but lost them when my internal HD and external backup disk both died simultaneously (and that's what I get for procrastinating that cloud backup...).
0 x
Neurological odyssey is going better! Yay!

Josquin
Blue Belt

Postby Josquin » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:19 am

MONDAY, 10 AUGUST 2015

Thanks for the music, Gaedheal92! I really enjoyed it! 8-)

So, it has been some time since my last update. I'm on vaction right now and all my studying and practising has gone down the drain. I attended a wedding in Northern Germany last week, which was epic, and then I headed to West Germany in order to visit my family. I'm not really getting much done here, instead I'm enjoying the good life, but I have managed to do some lessons in Irisch für Anfänger nevertheless. I'm on unit 16 right now and have repeated the present habitual for the umpteenth time. Well, whatever!

It's a pity there aren't any systematic, high-quality courses for Irish out there like for any other major language. There is nothing which can really take you from complete beginner to intermediate with good dialogues, grammar explanations, and exercises, so I'll have to content myself with what's available and complement several methods with each other. I'm going to work through Irisch für Anfänger, which is good, but a little bit unsystematic, and then I'll get back to my love-hate relationship with Ó Siadhail. There just has to be a way to learn Irish on one's own! Really, I have never had similar problems with any other language I have learned, but somehow there simply aren't any really good courses for Irish.

Well, be that as it may, being on holiday has kindled my wanderlust again. My plans to learn some Polish haven't materialized, but instead I'd like to study an East Asian language again. The question is whether to brush up my slightly rusty Japanese or to finally start studying Korean. I haven't decided yet, so we'll see.
1 x

Josquin
Blue Belt

Postby Josquin » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:45 pm

SUNDAY, 23 AUGUST 2015

Still plugging along with Irisch für Anfänger and Learning Irish. Actually, Learning Irish is finally starting to make sense. It's much more suited for false beginners than for actual newbies.

Not much to report otherwise. I haven't got around studying Japanese or Korean. I'd like to, but I simply don't have enough time. Music is taking most of my time now and all that remains needs to be invested in Irish.

I'm crazy about Irish right now. I'd love to get into Irish language literature as soon as my level is good enough. Sooner or later, I'd also like to add Old Irish and Welsh to my portfolio. As I said, if I were to go to university again, I'd choose Celtic Studies (besides Music).

In order to cheer everybody up, here's a little Old Irish poem I have found in the course of my studies:

Int én bec
ro léic feit
do rinn guip
glanbuidi

Fo-ceird faíd
ós Loch Laíg
lon do chraíb
charnbuidi

The small bird
made a sound
from the end of his
bright-yellow bill

It sends its tune
above Loch Laíg
a blackbird from a
yellow-heaped branch
2 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:35 pm

tangleweeds wrote:Do you have any suggestions for finding such pre-midcentury Irish recordings?

You should be able to find something here:
http://www.itma.ie/digitallibrary/playlists-all

If there's a certain instrument/combination of instruments you're looking for, I may be able to point you to specific recordings (at ITMA or elsewhere).
1 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Josquin
Blue Belt

Postby Josquin » Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:10 am

SATURDAY, 03 OCTOBER 2015

Hi guys,

it has been quite a while since I last posted here. The reason is quite simple: I had some more or less serious health problems, which left me with no time or energy to deal with Irish. At the end of August, I was confronted with the news that I wouldn't get the post in Vienna that I had applied for. At the same time, my scholarship was expiring, so I was left with the question what to do now. In combination with some other problems, this led to a mental crisis from which I only slowly recovered, but I think the worst is over now. Unfortunately, I have this tendency towards anxiety and depression which always troubles me when things get rough.

Be that as it may, I'm inbetween jobs right now, but I have a part-time job beginning in January, which will allow me to keep working on my dissertation, search for a full-time job, and do what I love in my sparetime. This is not what I hoped for, but better than long-time unemployment. I also might move to Cologne next year, but that still needs to be confirmed.

All this time, I really missed studying Irish. I think I have settled on this language now. Ireland is the country I love the most, and Irish is the language I love the most. So, my times of wanderlust are over for the time being. As soon as I can fully concentrate again, I will continue working with Irisch für Anfänger and Learning Irish. As I wanted to give myself a present while I was ill, I bought myself a copy of the newly issued Wörterbuch Irisch-Deutsch by Caldas and Schleicher. I already had a Collins dictionary, but it is always good to have the materials that are available in your native language.

As I will be earning quite well at my new job (considering it's only part-time), I hope I can afford a trip to Ireland next year. I want to go to Dublin and Cork again, but I'd also like to see Galway and the Connemara Gaeltacht. I hope these plans will come true. So, yes, this is my news ("scél lem dúib" to quote a famous Old Irish poem), not very good news I must admit, but it's good to be back nevertheless.

See all of you soon!
5 x

Return to “Language logs”