Josquin's Classical Log - Graeca non leguntur

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native Brazilian Portuguese#advanced fluency English, French, Papiamento#basic fluency Italian, Norwegian#intermediate Spanish, German, Georgian and Chinese (Mandarin)#basic Russian, Estonian, Greek (Modern)#just started Indonesian, Hebrew (Modern), Guarani
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9931

Re: Josquin's Classical Log - Graeca non leguntur

Postby Expugnator » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:35 pm

Unlike you, I had already fallen in love with the afro-asiatic languages before I started Hebrew. I just didn't know which one to start from! All that I know is that I want to learn as many of them as I can find the resources for!

It's great to know that you managed to catch up with the online Sanskrit course! Now you can keep learning at your own pace and still make a good use of the classes.
1 x
Corrections welcome for any language.

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Postby galaxyrocker » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:52 pm

Josquin,

Not sure of where you are in Germany, or what your schedule and such looks like, but I got an email a few days ago (on the Gaeilge-B LISTSERV) about an intensive course that'll be taking place in Germany. Someone shared it on ILF, here, if you're interested.
2 x

Josquin
Blue Belt
Languages: German (native); English (advanced fluency); French (basic fluency); Italian, Swedish, Russian, Irish (intermediate); Dutch, Icelandic, Japanese, Portuguese, Scottish Gaelic (beginner); Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Sanskrit (reading only)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=737

Postby Josquin » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:32 pm

galaxyrocker wrote:Josquin,

Not sure of where you are in Germany, or what your schedule and such looks like, but I got an email a few days ago (on the Gaeilge-B LISTSERV) about an intensive course that'll be taking place in Germany. Someone shared it on ILF, here, if you're interested.

Go raibh míle maith agat, a chara! Sounds very interesting and, incidentally, I've been planning to take a course at the SKSK (Studienhaus für keltische Sprachen und Kulturen) in Königswinter for a long time now, but, "unfortunately", it looks like I will be in Ireland at that time of the year. But thanks for bringing it to my attention! It sounds like a very enticing offer.

Expugnator wrote:Unlike you, I had already fallen in love with the afro-asiatic languages before I started Hebrew. I just didn't know which one to start from! All that I know is that I want to learn as many of them as I can find the resources for!

It's great to know that you managed to catch up with the online Sanskrit course! Now you can keep learning at your own pace and still make a good use of the classes.

Yeah, the Semitic languages are fascinating! I'm still concentrating on Hebrew though and a little bit of dabbling in Ge'ez on the side. I tried Arabic some time ago, but it didn't really "click" with me. I'm a big fan of Hebrew by now although I'm struggling with the verbal system. But I guess every student of Hebrew does at some point. ;)

In fact, I'm already behind the schedule in the Sanskrit online course again! :lol: I didn't manage to do the exercises last week, so now I have some catching up to do. Fortunately, the new material for this week doesn't seem too complicated, so I can do two weeks' work in one.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Generally speaking, I haven't been doing much for the last few days, which explains why I haven't posted any updates yet. I'm mainly busy with my music right now and a little bit of having a good time. Also, the beginning of spring is making me lazy. Back to languages, maybe, tomorrow! :D
3 x
Oró, sé do bheatha abhaile! Anois ar theacht an tsamhraidh.

Josquin
Blue Belt
Languages: German (native); English (advanced fluency); French (basic fluency); Italian, Swedish, Russian, Irish (intermediate); Dutch, Icelandic, Japanese, Portuguese, Scottish Gaelic (beginner); Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Sanskrit (reading only)

Postby Josquin » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:02 pm

TUESDAY, 13 MARCH 2018

Okay, I'm right in the process of catching up with my language studies. As it turned out, I didn't get to study on the weekend, but I squeezed in some studying tonight, so I'm finally back in the game. So to speak. However, my motivation for languages still isn't that high at the moment. I'm much more into singing right now, but maybe that'll change again.

Well, short digression into singing: I've finally finished working on Schubert's Winterreise and have now started with the much more lighthearted Myrthen-Lieder by Schumann. Also, I'm singing some of Parisotti's collection of Arie antiche and Brahms's Liebeslieder-Walzer for my choir. If you're interested, here are recordings of what I'm singing right now (unfortunately not me singing ;)).

Robert Schumann: Der Nussbaum, from Myrthen (Gérard Souzay)

Gian Giacomo Carissimi: Vittoria, vittoria mio core! from Amante sciolto d'amore (Teresa Berganza)

Johannes Brahms: Liebeslieder-Walzer (Monteverdi Choir)

But now back to languages:

Gaeilge

I have been listening to Irish music and that's about it. Dúil, my collection of Irish short stories, is however lying on my desk, so I might get back to it very soon.

Ἑλληνική

I moved on another unit in Kairós. I'm now on lesson 38, which deals with the active aorist participle. I still know it from Reading Greek, so there isn't a lot of new stuff in this unit. The text is about the cranes of Ibykos, an ancient saga that inspired Schiller to a famous German ballad. So, this is kind of fun!

עברית

I hardly dare to say it, but Hebrew is actually my favourite language at the moment! I've almost finished lesson 41 in Lehrbuch Bibel-Hebräisch and already had a look at lesson 42. By now, Lambdin offers original excerpts from the Bible, which are really hard to translate at times. The fact that he throws one pi'el paradigm after the other at the learner doesn't make it any easier.

And the fun continues! Lesson 42 introduces the pu'al, which is the passive counterpart to the pi'el. Well, yeah, this is really getting fun! Although I didn't even recognize a nif'al participle in one of the last exercises. Shame on me! ;)

संस्कृतम्

Okay, as I said, I'm catching up with the CIS online course again. I worked through this week's material, which consisted of chapter 10 (preverbs), and I did the missing exercises from chapter 9. Now all I have to do for this week is go through the readings from chapter 9 and watch the YouTube video for chapter 10. As always, I'm ignoring the weekly tests, 'cause I'm not in college here but studying just for fun.

This week's material wasn't very complicated. It just laid down the theoretical groundwork for verbal prefixes or "preverbs" as Ruppel calls them. I don't know why you need an entire chapter for that, but Ms Ruppel in her infinite wisdom definitely thought so. Well, I'm not going to complain, because The Cambridge Introdcution to Sanskrit is still the best Sanskrit course that I've come across. However, a little bit less theory would have been more to my taste.

ግዕዝ

No progress in Ge'ez. When I have the time, I'll flick through the grammars and primers that I borrowed from the library. I don't know if this will ever become anything serious though. Well, we'll see!
2 x

vonPeterhof
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (C2), Japanese (~C1), German (~B2), Kazakh (~B1), Norwegian (~A2)
Studying: Kazakh, Mandarin, Coptic
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1237

Postby vonPeterhof » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:46 am

Josquin wrote:I've almost finished lesson 41 in Lehrbuch Bibel-Hebräisch and already had a look at lesson 42.

Oh wow, I'm ahead of you now :P Though only slightly - I've been stuck on lesson 42 for the past four days :lol:
1 x

renaissancemedici
Orange Belt
Languages: Greek (N), English (C2), French (B2), Italian (A2), German (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 25#p100832

Postby renaissancemedici » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:13 am

Hi, Josquin, how have you been? Nice to see you are learning Greek. Is that a daseia I see? Which version of Greek do you study? (What a question... :roll: )
1 x
I use Assimil right now as a starting point, but at the same time I am building the foundation for further studies of German.

Assimil German with ease: 8 / 100

Josquin
Blue Belt

Postby Josquin » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:46 am

vonPeterhof wrote:Oh wow, I'm ahead of you now :P Though only slightly - I've been stuck on lesson 42 for the past four days :lol:

I knew this would happen... ;) :P

renaissancemedici wrote:Hi, Josquin, how have you been? Nice to see you are learning Greek. Is that a daseia I see? Which version of Greek do you study? (What a question... :roll: )

Hi renaissancemedici, good to see you! :) It has been a long time, hasn't it?! I have been okay. Basically, it went up and down, but I'm in a good place now. Yes, I'm learning Greek and you saw correctly: I'm writing Ἑλληνική not Ελληνικά (with a "daseia" aka spiritus asper), because I'm learning - tadaa! - Ancient Greek. ;)

Good to see you back! I hope I'll see you around here more often. Take care!
1 x

renaissancemedici
Orange Belt
Languages: Greek (N), English (C2), French (B2), Italian (A2), German (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 25#p100832

Postby renaissancemedici » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:49 am

Great! Between German and ancient Greek we are fellow travelers. Quite the Odyssey, isn't it? ;)
1 x
I use Assimil right now as a starting point, but at the same time I am building the foundation for further studies of German.

Assimil German with ease: 8 / 100

Josquin
Blue Belt

Postby Josquin » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:15 pm

O primavera

O primavera, gioventù de l'anno,
bella madre di fiori,
d’herbe novelle, di novelli amori,
tu torni ben, ma teco non tornano
i sereni e fortunati di delle mie gioie,
che del perduto mio caro tesoro
la rimembranza misera e dolente,
tu quella sè, ch’eri pur dianzi
si vezzosa e bella,
ma non son io quel ch’un tempo fui,
si caro agli occhi altrui.

(Giovanni Battista Guarini)

1 x

Josquin
Blue Belt

Postby Josquin » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:33 pm

THURSDAY, 15 MARCH 2018

@renaissancemedici: Yes, it definitely is! Glad to be on the journey with you. ;)

@all: Sorry for the depressive poem and the even cheesier video yesterday! There's nothing like Italian madrigals to pull you down even more when you're already depressed, I guess. ;) In any case, I posted the video and the lyrics yesterday, because I somehow thought they expressed quite well what I'm experiencing right now. Well, be that as it may, I'm in a much better mood today, so no depressive poems or music for now.

In fact, I've been quite busy today. I did a lot of Sanskrit, Hebrew, and Greek and the day hasn't finished yet. Maybe, I'll even do some Irish later in the evening. Feicfimid!

Ἑλληνική

I'm on lesson 39 now, which introduces the future participle. This is new to me, but not very difficult to grasp. I'm still enjoying Greek very much!

עברית

I finished lesson 41 and worked through lesson 42 today. Lesson 42 deals with the pu'al, as I've already said. The texts about Joseph and his brothers are finished now and we're moving on to Moses and the burning bush.

At times, I can understand entire sentences without having to look up anything and at times I understand virtually nothing. This is a bit frustrating, but maybe a sign I'm getting closer to the intermediate level in Hebrew. After all, these are original excerpts from the Bible! But, yeah, I shoud do something about my vocabulary, I guess.

संस्कृतम्

Okay, I really did a lot of Sanskrit today and I'm finally on par with the online course again. I worked through the translation exercises in chapter 10 and repeated the preverbs. I haven't watched the video yet, but I'll do that during dinner.

My vocabulary is still pretty shaky. Just as in Hebrew, I should do something about that. I'm getting better on case and tense endings though.

There will be little time to rest, because tomorrow I'll get the assignments for next week. If I'm this diligent on the weekend, that shouldn't be a problem though.

ግዕዝ

No Ge'ez at the moment. Maybe, I'll have a look at the books later tonight.
2 x

Return to “Language logs”