Maybe I need try more ways to learn English

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Dandelion
Yellow Belt
Languages: Chinese(N),English(beginner)

Re: Maybe I need try more ways to learn English

Postby Dandelion » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:09 pm

rdearman wrote:Here are some websites which discuss punctuation in English.

https://www.ef.co.uk/english-resources/ ... nctuation/
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/grammar/punctuation

The problem I noticed with your writing is over use of full stops (Americans call them periods) but "." is a full stop/period. It is used at the end of a sentence. However, you were using them to break up your thoughts in to tiny chunks. If we analyse the text you've written below, I'll rewrite it with what I believe is more natural punctuation.
All of your sentences do work, but a sentence is really used to mark the end of a sentence that is a complete statement or thought. For example you used two sentences: Thanks for your corrections, I'm very grateful. but I believe you are expressing only one thought, which is that you are grateful for corrections. So I rewrote it with a comma in order to combine the two into a single sentence. Commas make the meaning of sentences clear by grouping and separating words, phrases, and clauses. You don't have the problem I've seen with others who do long sentences with no punctuation, you are just using too much.

So my advice is this. Group together the words and phrases into a single thought, then mark it with a full stop. Things which are lists are separated by commas. For example: She is helpful, kind, intelligent and she always gives me good advice.

It is all just practice, just keep in mind that a sentence is a single complete thought. When writing fiction for example short sentences are used to show action, speed and give the writing a "breathlessness". This is why your sentences seem "abrupt" when read.

All of this is subjective, some people prefer to write in short sentences, some prefer longer sentences. However, a good writer will vary the length as required.

I hope that helps rather than confuses.

EDIT: 有一天我会问你更正。 :lol:

Wow! Thanks for your explanation, I understand completely now, it's particular and quite clear. The websites which you recommended to me is very useful to me. I will adjust my sentence, maybe the progress has a little slow, but I will try my best.

Wow! It's great, you can speak Chinese. If you have demand, I'm very happy that I could help you with Chinese.
0 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:41 pm

Dandelion wrote:
Serpent wrote:I would also say "When I come across errors, I should take note of them and learn" and "memorize vocabulary" rather than remember :)

Yes. I agree with you. When you write down the mistakes, the memory is deeper. This article is my notes which I leart in the class. :D

Oh, I was simply correcting you, not stating my opinion. You wrote something like "*when I meet errors" and I just pointed out that "meet" is for people, "come across" is for things like mistakes, unfamiliar vocabulary or anything else.

(By the way, some of your mistakes remind me on Spanish structures and usage :roll:)

I also didn't mean literally taking notes. To take note is simply to pay attention.

Do you have any access to parallel texts? I think they would be very helpful. That's a way to test your understanding :)
0 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Dandelion
Yellow Belt

Postby Dandelion » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:57 pm

Serpent wrote:I would also say "When I come across errors, I should take note of them and learn" and "memorize vocabulary" rather than remember :)

Yes. I agree with you. When you write down the mistakes, the memory is deeper. This article is my notes which I leart in the class. :D

Oh, I was simply correcting you, not stating my opinion. You wrote something like "*when I meet errors" and I just pointed out that "meet" is for people, "come across" is for things like mistakes, unfamiliar vocabulary or anything else.

(By the way, some of your mistakes remind me on Spanish structures and usage :roll:)

I also didn't mean literally taking notes. To take note is simply to pay attention.

Do you have any access to parallel texts? I think they would be very helpful. That's a way to test your understanding :)

Oh, i see .:D
Yes, i read BBC News sometimes, and I have some
subscription which is pushing articles everyday, i read them on my free time.
0 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:31 pm

A parallel text is a text in a language you're learning and a translation into your native language (or another language you already know). By comparing the two texts you can see what you understood correctly and what you didn't.
2 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:00 pm

Serpent wrote:A parallel text is a text in a language you're learning and a translation into your native language (or another language you already know). By comparing the two texts you can see what you understood correctly and what you didn't.

Here is an example of the bible in English and Chinese.

https://www.wordproject.org/bibles/para ... hinese.htm

EDIT: It also has audio! I hadn't noticed that before.
2 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Dandelion
Yellow Belt

Postby Dandelion » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:15 pm

Serpent wrote:A parallel text is a text in a language you're learning and a translation into your native language (or another language you already know). By comparing the two texts you can see what you understood correctly and what you didn't.

Oh. :oops: I had a wrong understand. No, i have't, would you like to recommend some to me?
0 x

Dandelion
Yellow Belt

Postby Dandelion » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:16 pm

rdearman wrote:

Here is an example of the bible in English and Chinese.

https://www.wordproject.org/bibles/para ... hinese.htm

EDIT: It also has audio! I hadn't noticed that before.

Wow! It's great, thanks for your recommend.
0 x

Batur
Yellow Belt
Languages: Chinese(N), English

Postby Batur » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:50 pm

Dandelion, your English is becoming better and better. I am happy for you. Keep it up!

I think you could use facebook, socialization is alway more interesting than learn a language alone.
Besides making friends around the world, facebook has many excellent communities that you could join and learn it every day.
:-)
2 x

Deinonysus
Brown Belt
Languages:  
• Native: English
• Advanced: French
• Intermediate: German,
   Spanish, Hebrew
• Beginner: Italian,
   Arabic

Postby Deinonysus » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:49 pm

Hi Dandelion, I see that you are getting confused with verbs and nouns a little bit.

"Understand" and "recommend" are both verbs, and if you want to use them as nouns, you need to change them. There are noun versions of these words: "understanding" and "recommendation." It is hard to use "understanding" as a noun, so you should try to use it as a verb. But when you understand something wrong, it is better to say that you "misunderstand" (or in the past tense, "misunderstood").

Oh. :oops: I had a wrong understand.

I would say: Oh. :oops: I misunderstood.

Wow! It's great, thanks for your recommend.

I would say: Wow! That's great, thanks for your recommendation.
2 x
/daɪ.nə.ˈnaɪ.səs/

Dandelion
Yellow Belt

Postby Dandelion » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:17 am

Batur wrote:Dandelion, your English is becoming better and better. I am happy for you. Keep it up!

I think you could use facebook, socialization is alway more interesting than learn a language alone.
Besides making friends around the world, facebook has many excellent communities that you could join and learn it every day.
:-)

Thank you, batur! It's a good idea that using Facebook or socialization to communicate. Thanks for your recommendation, i will have a try.
0 x

Return to “Language logs”