Maybe I need try more ways to learn English

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Dandelion
Yellow Belt
Languages: Chinese(N),English(beginner)

Maybe I need try more ways to learn English

Postby Dandelion » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:23 pm

yeah..how to say...
When I first came into contact with English as a child. I really like it very much.So on my school-days ,I recited a lot of sentences and words. But i am just good at passing the exam, i dared not speak English.I knew that this was because of my character. I am a shy and timid girl.But i want to change,i want to make a breakthrough.
However,during the university,something moved towards bad .I became lazy,and i forgot many words gradually.Until now,i want pick it up again.But i still can't open my mouth.I'm so sad.
Fortunately,recently,i know "English salon"from my friends.It's a good way to learn English and bring courage for me.And now ,I'm taking apart in this activity every Friday.And two apps which called "Fluent English speaking"and "Don't memorizing words" are used for improving my English.
Yesterday,a friend recommends this forum to me.He said that writing is also good for improving English. And there are numerous resources in learning English.we need to try, try, try.Try everything, and find a way that suits us.So cool!Grateful!
Now that, there are so many nice resources,we have no reason to stop studying. Haha,i need try more ways to learn English,that' right,it's writing.I hope that i can keep going. :D
12 x

Maiwenn
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N) & French
focusing on: MSA & Moroccan Arabic
backburner: German
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7321

Re: Maybe I need try more ways to learn English

Postby Maiwenn » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:04 pm

Welcome to the forum, Dandelion. :) Would you like corrections for what you've written?
It's wonderful that you have joined an English salon! I hope you will overcome your shyness and will speak English. It can be very scary to speak a foreign language at first, but the best way to get better is to practice. We all make mistakes when speaking and learning from these mistakes is how we progress.
2 x
SC reading: 3819 / 10000 AR
SC reading: 3334 / 5000 FR
SC reading: 65 / 2500 DE :?

Corrections are always welcome. :)

Dandelion
Yellow Belt

Postby Dandelion » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:31 pm

Maiwenn wrote:Welcome to the forum, Dandelion. :) Would you like corrections for what you've written?
It's wonderful that you have joined an English salon! I hope you will overcome your shyness and will speak English. It can be very scary to speak a foreign language at first, but the best way to get better is to practice. We all make mistakes when speaking and learning from these mistakes is how we progress.

Thank you! l was so happy to received your encouragement and advice.You're right.Yes,i want to correct for that i have written.
2 x

Maiwenn
Orange Belt

Postby Maiwenn » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:08 pm

Here are my corrections. Some are perhaps stylistic rather than grammatical. If you have any questions, just let me know. :) I think that you will find that your English improves by leaps and bounds the more you practice it (improve by leaps and bounds = improves a lot)! Keep writing and speaking!

Dandelion wrote:yeah..how what to say...
WhenI first came into contact with English as a child(1). I really like itvery much. So onIn my school-days, I recited (memorised?) a lot of sentences and words. But i am I was just good at passing the exam, but i dared not did not dare speak English. I knew that this was because of my character personality(2). I am a shy and timid girl. But I want to change, I want to make a breakthrough.
However, During the university, something changed for the worse moved towards bad. I became lazy and I forgot many words gradually. Until now, I want pick it up again, but I still can't open my mouth(3). I'm so sad.
Fortunately, recently, I know learned about an "English salon" from my friends. It's a good way to learn English and bring courage for me give me courage. And now, I'm taking apart in this activity every Friday. And I am using two apps, which called "Fluent English speaking" and "Don't memorizing words" are used for improving to improve my English.
Yesterday, a friend recommended this forum to me. He said that writing is also good for improving English and that there are numerous resources in for learning English. We need to try, try, try, try everything and find a way method that suits us. So cool! I'm grateful!
Now that there are so many nice resources, we have no reason to stop studying. Haha, I need to try more ways to learn English, that's right, it's such as -- that's right -- writing. I hope that I can keep going. :D

(1) or "When I first came into contact with English, I was a child."
(2) Character --> for talking about whether someone is honest, trustworthy, loyal, a hardworker, etc. Personality --> whether someone is shy, outgoing, optimistic, pessimistic, depressed, depressing, friendly, childlike, grumpy etc.
(3) open my mouth --> find the words ?
3 x

Dandelion
Yellow Belt

Postby Dandelion » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:59 am

Maiwenn wrote:Here are my corrections. Some are perhaps stylistic rather than grammatical. If you have any questions, just let me know. :) I think that you will find that your English improves by leaps and bounds the more you practice it (improve by leaps and bounds = improves a lot)! Keep writing and speaking!

WhenI first came into contact with English as a child(1). I really like itvery much. So onIn my school-days, I recited (memorised?) a lot of sentences and words. But i am I was just good at passing the exam, but i dared not did not dare speak English. I knew that this was because of my character personality(2). I am a shy and timid girl. But I want to change, I want to make a breakthrough.
However, During the university, something changed for the worse moved towards bad. I became lazy and I forgot many words gradually. Until now, I want pick it up again, but I still can't open my mouth(3). I'm so sad.
Fortunately, recently, I know learned about an "English salon" from my friends. It's a good way to learn English and bring courage for me give me courage. And now, I'm taking apart in this activity every Friday. And I am using two apps, which called "Fluent English speaking" and "Don't memorizing words" are used for improving to improve my English.
Yesterday, a friend recommended this forum to me. He said that writing is also good for improving English and that there are numerous resources in for learning English. We need to try, try, try, try everything and find a way method that suits us. So cool! I'm grateful!
Now that there are so many nice resources, we have no reason to stop studying. Haha, I need to try more ways to learn English, that's right, it's such as -- that's right -- writing. I hope that I can keep going. :D

(1) or "When I first came into contact with English, I was a child."
(2) Character --> for talking about whether someone is honest, trustworthy, loyal, a hardworker, etc. Personality --> whether someone is shy, outgoing, optimistic, pessimistic, depressed, depressing, friendly, childlike, grumpy etc.
(3) open my mouth --> find the words ?

Thank you,Maiwenn!l'm very grateful to you for your corrections.l will remember these mistakes and correct these mistakes.I benifited a lot.
l think that maybe there would be have many questions on me.But I believe that l will improve a lot with your help.
"Open my mouth"-l want to express that l didn't dare speak English.And i hesitated in speaking.
1 x

Batur
Yellow Belt
Languages: Chinese(N), English

Postby Batur » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:53 am

Hi, Dandelion
Welcome to this forum! I could feel your pain and frustration because learning a language is hard, especially when we don't have language environment. If you read other people's language log here, you would find many similar experiences. There are many awesome people here, they can speak multiple languages, but they still keep learning, it's very inspirational. People here are friendly and supportive, I hope you could keep it up.

You could also offer help who are learning your native language. :-)
2 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:18 am

Maiwenn wrote:

I believe Dandelion was trying to say "How should I put it? 怎說好呢?"
Asking "Where to go?" instead of "Where should we go?" is also a common mistake, or "What to do?" instead of "What should we do?"
1 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

Dandelion
Yellow Belt

Postby Dandelion » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:44 am

Batur wrote:Hi, Dandelion
Welcome to this forum! I could feel your pain and frustration because learning a language is hard, especially when we don't have language environment. If you read other people's language log here, you would find many similar experiences. There are many awesome people here, they can speak multiple languages, but they still keep learning, it's very inspirational. People here are friendly and supportive, I hope you could keep it up.

You could also offer help who are learning your native language. :-)

Thank you,batur! You're right.Yes ,i could offer help who were interesied in chinese. :D
0 x

Dandelion
Yellow Belt

Postby Dandelion » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:47 am

smallwhite wrote:
Maiwenn wrote:

Asking "Where to go?" instead of "Where should we go?" is also a common mistake, or "What to do?" instead of "What should we do?"

Haha.You know me.Yes ,in fact,i want to express "How should I put it? ".Thank you,smallwhite! :D
1 x

Maiwenn
Orange Belt

Postby Maiwenn » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:37 am

Dandelion wrote:
smallwhite wrote:
Maiwenn wrote:

Haha.You know me.Yes ,in fact,i want to express "How should I put it? ".Thank you,smallwhite! :D

Good catch, smallwhite. :)

Dandelion wrote:"Open my mouth"-l want to express that l didn't dare speak English.And i hesitated in speaking.

"Open my mouth" works in that case, though I don't find it completely natural. It might help to add the precision "to speak" (i.e. "open my mouth to speak"). You're doing great already, Dandelion! Keep going! :)
1 x

Return to “Language logs”