Maybe I need try more ways to learn English

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Dandelion
Yellow Belt
Languages: Chinese(N),English(beginner)

Re: Maybe I need try more ways to learn English

Postby Dandelion » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:26 am

Deinonysus wrote:Hi Dandelion, I see that you are getting confused with verbs and nouns a little bit.

"Understand" and "recommend" are both verbs, and if you want to use them as nouns, you need to change them. There are noun versions of these words: "understanding" and "recommendation." It is hard to use "understanding" as a noun, so you should try to use it as a verb. But when you understand something wrong, it is better to say that you "misunderstand" (or in the past tense, "misunderstood").

Oh. :oops: I had a wrong understand.

I would say: Oh. :oops: I misunderstood.

Wow! It's great, thanks for your recommend.

I would say: Wow! That's great, thanks for your recommendation.

Oh, :oops: yes, you're right, thank you, Deinonysus! I I will pay more attention next time.
1 x

Dandelion
Yellow Belt

Postby Dandelion » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:06 am

With time goes by, i can express a little thoughts of mine gradually. I practice English as usual, such as practice reading, listening and speaking 30 minutes per day with an APP, and remember 20 vocabularies every day ( it has a little change, i changed another APP to remember vocabulary. The vocabulary can be set from you like. I reduced vocabularies from 30 to 20, and there are three new vocabularies per day, it can remember longer than remember 30 vocabularies. )

My company adjusted work time again, so I have more chances to take apart in some activities as before, such as "English Shalon" and "English corner". I often go there to practice my speaking as long as I have enough time. Though maybe i can't express many thoughts, the atmosphere is a good influence on me. I believe i can express gradually.

Did i also mention that i'm very lucky? Yes, i do. I made several friends, i chatted with them in English, and sent messages to them. It's very helpful to me. When I wrote wrong, they helped me to correct, and gave me advice. I'm very grateful. I also want to do something for them.

What's a shame is that we have different time, and sometimes we are busy at work. However, i believe that we have chance to talk with each other on a certain day. Maybe i have enough confidence to talk with them on that day. As my friend said language is a window, it opens us another new world. Through this new world, we can find a lot of interesting people, experience other lifestyles, listen totally different stories, etc. I'm looking forward to this. :lol:

Last Sunday, i had a lesson with my foreign teacher, and she gave me some new advice. Instead of using Chinese dictionary, English dictionary is better. If I use Chinese dictionary to search a vocabulary, i should notice example sentence. I need to understand how to use it rather than just learn the meaning, so it can make me have a deep impression.

She explained to me some ways of how to use proper vocabularies, and gave me some examples to distinguish the similar vocabularies. One of the advice, i think it's fun, i can face the mirror to practice English. That is to say, i can talk with myself, haha, it's funny, right? I will have a try.

This forum is a place which is full of inspiration. In this forum, people are learning two or more languages. I think it's amazing.Sometimes, i often surfing the forum, and try to leave a message to express my thoughts, but i find it has a little difficult, because some articles i don't understand what they wrote, because they used different languages, such as France, German etc. Although i don't understand, i can learn some simple meaning from others comments. I will keep it up.

As a saying" Time likes water in a sponge." I just learn one language, and what should i do is just keeping it up, and practice more, speak more as much i can.
1 x

BalancingAct
Orange Belt
Languages: Mandarin, Cantonese, English (Prof.), French (Adv. - Prof.), Italian (Adv.), German (Adv. receptive), Spanish (Int. receptive)

Postby BalancingAct » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:35 am

Dandelion wrote:
As a saying" Time likes water in a sponge." I just learn one language, and what should i do is just keeping it up, and practice more, speak more as much i can.

'As a saying" Time likes water in a sponge."'
------------->
As the saying goes, "Time is like water in a sponge; if you are willing to squeeze, there is always more."

"what should I do is " -----------> What I should do is ...

"speak more as much i can" --------------> speak as much as I can
1 x

Dandelion
Yellow Belt

Postby Dandelion » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:26 am

BalancingAct wrote:
'As a saying" Time likes water in a sponge."'
------------->
As the saying goes, "Time is like water in a sponge; if you are willing to squeeze, there is always more."

"what should I do is " -----------> What I should do is ...

"speak more as much i can" --------------> speak as much as I can

:oops: Oh, yes, you are right, thank you, BalancingAct. I don't know how to say it before, and now I got it, i will notice is next time.
Last edited by Dandelion on Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Dandelion
Yellow Belt

Postby Dandelion » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:20 am

Morgana wrote:
With time goes by
As time goes by

...i can express a little thoughts of mine gradually.
...I can gradually express more of my thoughts.

and remember 20 vocabularies every day
...and remember 20 new words every day, or
...and remember 20 new pieces of vocabulary every day

...so I have more chances to take apart in some activities as before
...so I have more chances to take part in some activities than (I did) before

Instead of using Chinese dictionary, English dictionary is better.
Instead of using a Chinese dictionary, an English dictionary is better.

One of the advice
One of the pieces of advice

Don't worry about making mistakes! You are posting in a forum with a lot of native English speakers who are willing, and maybe even eager, to offer advice when it's wanted ;)

Thank you, Morgana. Don't shy to me, because I'm shy ,too, :D haha. Thanks for your corrections, it's helpful to me. I learnt a lot in this forum, I'm very grateful. I'm very happy when i received some corrections, i like the people here. I will adjust these mistakes in next article.

"and remember 20 vocabularies every day
...and remember 20 new words every day, or
...and remember 20 new pieces of vocabulary every day"
In this sentence, actually, i want to express i remember 20 vocabularies every day, but it's not new words all of them, and it's just have three new words, the bulk of words have already learnt the day before.
0 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:42 am

"Vocabulary" does not mean "word", "new word" or "word to be learned". You cannot say "I wrote one vocabulary, I learned two vocabularies". You can look up what "vocabulary" means and how to use it.
1 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:21 am

I think the reason you are using the word vocabulary incorrectly is because you are confusing WORDS and VOCABULARY. Vocabulary means a set of words. While words can be singular or plural, vocabulary is always more than one because it is the set of words known to a person, or contained in a book, etc.. While in theory you can have a set of one word, this isn't normally the case.

Perhaps some examples will help:

• She has a large vocabulary. (Large SET of words)
  • She knows a lot of words. (Here we are talking about the amount words, not the set)
  • I am studying the vocabulary from the text book. (The set of words included in the text book)
  • I'm going to learn 10 words from the text book vocabulary each day. (10 words are a subset of the superset of vocabulary)

So when you say you are going to learn "remember 20 vocabularies every day", you are saying that you are going to remember 20 SETS of words. You don't mean this, you mean that you are going to remember 20 words, e.g. the amount of words you will remember.

Hopefully that helps.
2 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Dandelion
Yellow Belt

Postby Dandelion » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:50 am

smallwhite wrote:"Vocabulary" does not mean "word", "new word" or "word to be learned". You cannot say " I wrote one vocabulary, I learned two vocabularies". You can look up what "vocabulary" means and how to use it.

:oops: Oh, i see. I looked it up in English dictionary just now. Thank you, smallwhite, i will notice it next time. :D
1 x

Dandelion
Yellow Belt

Postby Dandelion » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:05 am

rdearman wrote:I think the reason you are using the word vocabulary incorrectly is because you are confusing WORDS and VOCABULARY. Vocabulary means a set of words. While words can be singular or plural, vocabulary is always more than one because it is the set of words known to a person, or contained in a book, etc.. While in theory you can have a set of one word, this isn't normally the case.

Perhaps some examples will help:

• She has a large vocabulary. (Large SET of words)
  • She knows a lot of words. (Here we are talking about the amount words, not the set)
  • I am studying the vocabulary from the text book. (The set of words included in the text book)
  • I'm going to learn 10 words from the text book vocabulary each day. (10 words are a subset of the superset of vocabulary)

So when you say you are going to learn "remember 20 vocabularies every day", you are saying that you are going to remember 20 SETS of words. You don't mean this, you mean that you are going to remember 20 words, e.g. the amount of words you will remember.

Hopefully that helps.

Yes, thank you, Rick, you are right. I can't distinguish them before. Your explanation is very particular. I got it, and i also search them in a English dictionary. Maybe I should make more use of English dictionary.

Your examples are very helpful to me, it's easy to understand. I will adjust them next time.
0 x

Batur
Yellow Belt
Languages: Chinese(N), English

Postby Batur » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:38 am

Good job, Dandelion

Your hard work pays off! Your article is much better than before.

One issue I think you could pay attend to is,

Did i also mention that i'm very lucky? Yes, i do.

i chatted with them in English,

You should capitalise "I"
0 x

Return to “Language logs”