Re-Inventing the System: Systematiker repeatedly changes his plans

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)
*Averaged for high receptive skill
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7332

Re: Re-Inventing the System: Systematiker repeatedly changes his plans

Postby Systematiker » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:01 pm

This has been a terrible period for language study - I really haven't done much at all. That is to say, I've been here, but made no progress on the projects that I thought might even be possible with my traveling, as well as no progress on the projects that I planned before I realized I would be gone.

Spanish
ES Reading: 4824 / 10000 ES Film: 156 / 200
FSI: 26 / 53
I read a little and watched a little, but not terribly much. Hundred pages or so (unreflected, book not finished), a couple of TV shows.

French
FR Reading: 2456 / 10000 FR Film: 91 / 200
FR Bible without Pent: 40 / 90
FSI: 1 / 24
Watched Glacé, which was good, and read about 300 (unreflected) pages in Le Comte de Monte-Cristo. Stalled on the Bible.

Portuguese
PT Reading: 175 / 10000 PT Film: 12 / 200
PT NT: 38 / 60
Some progress on the NT and on Brás Cubas, otherwise nothing.

Catalan
CAT Reading: 15 / 10000 CAT Film: 7 / 200
Watched an episode of Gran Nord! Actually, re-watched, because I forgot where I stopped, but I figured it was good practice.

Swedish
SV Reading: 589 / 10000 SV Film: 31 / 200
FSI: 4 / 16
Literally nothing. Need to get back to FSI for this plan, I've got 12 units left...

Danish
DK Reading: 130 / 10000 DK Film: 5 / 200
Nothing.

Latin
LAT Reading: 50 / 10000
Nothing.

Ancient Greek
GK Reading: 60 / 10000
Not much. Working with a few passages for this coming Sunday but it's barely been worth mentioning.

Hebrew
Assimil: 3 / 90
LR Psalms First Pass: 25 / 150
Nothing.

Korean
Video: 6 / 200 TTMIK 1: 9 / 25
FSI: 1 / 19
Stalled here, too.

Czech
At least this is supposed to be on hold, right?

Gaelic
Nothing.

Russian
MT Foundation: 8 / 8 MT Advanced: 1 / 5
Assimil: 15 / 90 Reading: 0 / 10000
Stalled. I just haven't been up to the effort, really. I'm trying to get going on this Assimil plan, since I'm now apparently doing it in parallel to the end of MT. I reviewed 10-15 yesterday, so I should actually progress now...

Basque
Assimil: 1 / 90
Nothing.

Dutch
NL Reading: 66 / 10000 NL Film: 20 / 200
Picked up the wrong instructions to something and just rolled with it yesterday, so I mean I used the language, right?

German
Strangely, learned the word "Kufe", which I've had no need for before, and probably won't again.
4 x

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)

Postby Systematiker » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:18 am

I'm having a bit of trouble getting my motivation back, but I've been doing at least some things here and there - and I managed to not wait an entire week prior to an update! Only just, though, and I'm still not even caught up on all the posts. I feel kind of stalled in general, but when I take a step back, it's not that bad.

Spanish
FSI: 26 / 53
Some podcasts, and desultory reading. About half an FSI unit as well.

French
Not much at all, to be honest. Read a little. Occasionally doing prayers in French.

Portuguese
PT NT: 40 / 60
Small progress on the NT, no other reading. A couple of podcasts, which were significantly easier to follow than the last time I did much podcast stuff in PT.

Catalan
Pretty much nothing, read a few headlines. Clozemaster twice.

Swedish
FSI: 5 / 16
Repeated all the drills from those first 5 FSI units, but didn't manage to get any further. Clozemaster once, though.

Danish
Nothing.

Latin
Nothing.

Ancient Greek
GK Reading: 65 / 10000
Here's where some stuff is happening - I've decided to read through the NT, the Didache, and Herodotus' Histories. The first two, I'm doing a chapter or so whenever I get a chance. It works out well, as I can pull up the Didache or the Histories on my phone in an app and read a few lines. I just started this yesterday, so I'm not very far - but Herodotus is way harder to deal with than the Didache or the NT (which makes sense) and really I need some lookups there (which doesn't always happen). These small bites are kind of inspired by Expug, if anyone is wondering.

Hebrew
Assimil: 3 / 90
LR Psalms First Pass: 25 / 150
Nothing, unfortunately.

Korean
Video: 6 / 200 TTMIK 1: 13 / 25
A little progress on TTMIK, but it's not much.

Czech
Nothing.

Gaelic
Nothing.

Russian
Assimil: 17 / 90 Reading: 0 / 10000
Minor progress on Assimil, but that includes another full read-through review. I'm kind of waiting on the 2-week project to feel ready for it and to have the "space" to do it. I'm hoping that getting back into the MT helps me get re-motivated.

Basque
Nothing

Dutch
Nothing

Anglo-Saxon, and such
I haven't done anything with this since my Sept 14th annual reading, but I'm getting interested again in doing some reading. That new classical languages has got me playing around reading some middle English as well, and I pulled up the Chanson de Roland to see if I could follow it (sort of). And I'm thinking, hey, Old Norse...but that'll pass, I've got too much on my plate as it is.
5 x

Systematiker
Blue Belt

Postby Systematiker » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:16 pm

Two updates in one week! What are the odds of that?
I also thought I'd take the time today to share some of the music I've listened to lately, so I did some quick YouTube looking.

Spanish
FSI: 27 / 53
Moving on with FSI, not much reading the last couple of days, but a couple of podcasts.
I've been particularly enjoying the following:
Las Migas (I actualy found them through their collaborations with Sílvia Pérez Cruz, una Catalana)

Zahara

On this side of the Atlantic,
Paté de Fuá (new to me)

Since that last one was as collaboration, don't forget Monsieur Periné
Here's the Tiny Desk Concert where I first heard them

And some other stuff

French
Really not much actual learning here, but...
I've been Coeur de Pirate fan for a while

And the new single

But why stick with traditional French? I don't remember where I learned about Sweet Crude, but I've been enjoying them for a while

Portuguese
Haven't been doing much here either, and I can't spend any more time looking for music on YouTube, so next time

Catalan
See: Portuguese

Swedish
FSI: 6 / 16
Did some FSI, will probably do unit 7 today

Danish
Nothing

Latin
I've had good success with the Expug-inspired idea for Ancient Greek, so I'm trying to find a way to do that in Latin as well

Ancient Greek
Reading the NT, Didache, Herodotus, all in small bites when I can. I find myself looking forward to the next little chunk I can read, so it's really good. I'll track the pages when done, not as I do it, that's too much calculating and takes too much time.

Hebrew
Pimsleur: 1 / 30
LR Psalms First Pass: 27 / 150
Did some more Psalms, re-started (re-re-re-re-re-started) Jenni and am on Ch 5, abandoned Assimil, re-started Pimsleur, and have played around with some short teaching videos.
Oh, and

Korean
No progress. TTMIK is good while running, and it's been below freezing with ice here, so I haven't been running (actually 22F is my cutoff point if there's not ice, but I don't want to fall).

Czech
Nothing.

Gaelic
One round of clozemaster.

Russian
Assimil: 21 / 90 Reading: 0 / 10000
More progress in Assimil (woohoo), some short videos, and parts of some cartoons that I think aaleks so helpfully linked over on Ani's log. Also the first story from an Ilya Frank reader.

Basque
Nothing

Dutch
Nothing

Swabian
Also nothing

German

Everything Else
Read some in Anglo-Saxon from Bright's reader (Gospel of Mark, which wasn't bad, but mostly it was a case of: From the Gospel of Mark don't look a the chapter don't look at the chapter, uh, ok, that word is this, and then, and then, oh, ok, I know where we're at. So I "read" less than I puzzled out knowing what it was going to end up being.)
And I totally didn't do some video lessons in Lebanese because of a post Ogrim made in the Middle East group. Totally not going to finish the set, totally not going to dabble in Lebanese.
5 x

Systematiker
Blue Belt

Postby Systematiker » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:07 am

An update, in which not much progress is made, but a good deal of thought has been undertaken

Spanish
FSI: 27 / 53
Just podcasts and some more of La palabra del mudo, which I'm still not finished with.

French
A bit of the Comte, but not much

Portuguese
Still working on O Crime do Padre Amaro, in chapter 5. I was going to link music in this post, but I'm too tired to tonight to do it.

Catalan
I think one podcast? And clozemaster.

Swedish
FSI: 6 / 16
Yeah I didn't do that next FSI lesson. I'll get to them, sooner or later.

Danish
Nothing.

Latin
Unfortunately, nothing. I grabbed my old LLPSI reader for the Caesar, but it hasn't moved off my dresser.

Ancient Greek
Herodotus: Book 1 Ch 5
Didache: Chapter 4
Physical Odyssey I-XII arriving tomorrow, because why not Homeric practice too

Hebrew
Pimsleur: 2 / 30
Here's where there's been some re-evaluation. I haven't done any more of Jenni yet, but I've changed some approach. Up until now, dabbling in Modern Hebrew has been instrumental - it was always sort of a thought as to a way to keep from losing so much ability in Biblical Hebrew again, given that everyone I know or have met that has great Biblical Hebrew also does Modern to some extent. A detour in Russian led me to reconsider Modern Hebrew, and you know, I actually like the language as such, not just instrumentally. I'd really like to learn Modern Hebrew, entirely apart from its use for my Biblical Hebrew. I've been doing some youtube lessons when I haven't had time for Pimsleur, because at the moment I have only that, French-base Assimil, and FSI. I'm seriously considering purchasing a good Hebrew course text, though - but I'll make sure I get through some of what I've got here first. My vague plan was to go from Pimsleur to FSI on the strength of having improved my Biblical Hebrew in the intervening time, and just bulling it through, but I'm relatively certain that it would be a pretty miserable experience, as I don't think I'd have enough base to dive into FSI. The Assimil course even seems to have a steep learning curve for me, however, I think re-visiting it after actually finishing Pimsleur might be a better idea. (There's also a bit about Hebrew under Russian below, but the story belongs there)

Korean
I started a TTMIK lesson, but didn't finish it. Really, though, Sun-Tues is the part of the week where I have the least time for languages, and almost none for audio stuff. (Like with Hebrew, the story under Russian touches Korean as well, but it belongs down there)

Czech
Nothing. Well, not true, I listened to the Biene Maja version that Karel Gott sings also in Czech this morning.

Gaelic
Nothing.

Russian
Assimil: 28 / 90 Reading: 0 / 10000
More progress on Assimil, and I took a look at the New Penguin course as well. It's on archive.org as not in copyright, which doesn't sound right to me, but apparently it is?
Searching a lot for music to listen to - as one may have gathered, my tastes are odd, but don't usually run to the most popular stuff, so it's been interesting. I've got some odd videos to share as well, when I've got the time (and some of this searching led me to a similar search in Hebrew, mentioned above, where I will also share some stuff when I've got time for it).
Most significantly: I noticed in the mid-20s in Assimil, "hey, you're getting to where you can actually read halfway decently, and you don't have to sound new words out each time", and that there's a corresponding increase in my understanding. So, I mean, I've been able to "read" Cyrillic for a while, in that I know each letter, but actually reading sentences has been kind of slow. I'm still not a fast reader by any means, but I'm reading sentences, not letters (if that makes sense).
And then I said to myself, "you know, you are getting to where you read this like you read Greek. It's not like Hebrew or Korean any more"...and a light went on. In both of those, reading is stop-and-think for each letter (ok, not stop long, but you get what I mean). I continue to have trouble transitioning out of very basic stuff because I can read, but I can't read (and this was even true when I was examined in Biblical Hebrew, I had some words memorized and the rest I had to sound out. Mistook a name for a verb on the exam because of it, too, that sticks with me). Fortunately, here on this forum, zenmonkey has a link in his signature to some wonderful apps that he designed for training different scripts. I picked up the one for Russian, because I need some practice with longhand, and the Semitic package, because I wanted to practice Hebrew, longhand Hebrew, and saw value in the other ones in the bundle. I've tried Syriac scripts before, and have an interest both in Syriac as well as Imperial Aramaic, so that was a no-brainer.
And then, I had another thought: Any longtime readers remember why I really gave up on Arabic? Yeah, it was too much, trimming, learning curve meant too much work, etc....but the script put me in the same place as with these others. I struggled with mastering the script, and that bundle has an app for Arabic...so I've done a few letters a day, and by the end of the week should have it a bit better. Whether that means I'll really do much with Arabic or not, I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure that my main impediment was the script. There wasn't one for Korean, but some other apps have been developed, so I grabbed a couple of free ones and have been playing with them to see what has the functionality I'd like.

Basque
Nothing

Dutch
Nothing

Swabian
Ugh when am I going to start reading that thing?

German
I actually really have been neglecting German, due to various things, and I probably could stand to spend some time in it. Not least because I'll be getting a bunch of phone calls soon and I'd like to not sound like I've forgotten everything :lol:

Everything Else
Nothing more since Saturday, aside from the app as mentioned above, and the considerations that come with it.
5 x

Systematiker
Blue Belt

Postby Systematiker » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:16 pm

I'll cross-link here my post about Lenten readings, if anyone reads this and doesn't see the other thread:
https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =14&t=7697

Also, I'll just leave these here

1 x

Systematiker
Blue Belt

Postby Systematiker » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:42 am

Another update for this week, but again without getting links for some music in Portuguese or Catalan, even though I've bookmarked what I wanted to share...oh well.

Spanish
ES Reading: 5880 / 10000 ES Film: 156 / 200
FSI: 28 / 53
Finished La palabra del Mudo (I), which was about 500 pages longer than I thought it was (electronic version, so I wasn't aware). I feel a bit better about taking so long to get through it, and the Peruvianisms in it made it harder than something else of comparable length, I think. I've also crept forward doing FSI, and I'm doing the daily Lenten reading.

French
Aside from daily Lenten readings and a prayer office or two daily in French, absolutely nothing. I'll probably read more in French now that I've just finished such a tome in Spanish.

Portuguese
Another chapter of O Crime do Padre Amaro, but nothing else.

Catalan
Nix.

Swedish
FSI: 7 / 16
Got one more FSI lesson in, and some Clozemaster. I'm only getting a round or two in a day, but it's better than nothing.

Danish
I read part of Frygt og Bæven, since the Old Testament lesson for the coming Sunday is Abraham and Isaac on Moriah from Gen 22, and Kierkegaard uses this story as a paradigm for exploring his view of faith and individuality. I didn't get through the whole thing yet, though.

Latin
Ah, nothing.

Ancient Greek
No progress on Herodotus, but the Didache up to Ch 10; a little more NT in the read-through; no other NT since I'm focussing on the OT for the coming Sunday.

Hebrew
Pimsleur: 4 / 30
Jenni: 5 / 30
A bit more Pimsleur, all of the "Easy Hebrew" videos on Youtube (of which I understood a couple words per sentence at best), all the exercises from ch 5 of Jenni (I'd be in trouble if I couldn't do things this basic any more!) and both reading and analyzing Genesis 22. I'm not counting reading pages right now because it's still too painstaking. Need to practice reading longhand more, and I'd like to get where Clozemaster is useful (right now it's a bit too hard yet). Still considering whether to purchase something or try to work with what I've got.

Korean
Video: 6 / 200 TTMIK 1: 17 / 25
Some TTMIK, and that's it.

Czech
Nothing.

Gaelic
Nothing. Maybe I should go back to Clozemaster?

Russian
Assimil: 32 / 90 Reading: 0 / 10000
A bit of progress on Assimil, some "Easy Russian" videos, and some more of the Ilya Frank reader. I keep putting off this two-week Assimil project, because it just never seems the right time.

Basque
Nothing

Dutch
Actually, in the interest of doing something with Dutch, I've been doing some Clozemaster.

Swabian
Nothing.

German
I write daily in a journal, and I've been making more of an effort to write in German - it's output, and that can't hurt at all. I'm actually thinking about including some of my other languages, but so far it's just been German, since especially writing kind of hits all the necessary things so that I'm not too far away from the language. (I mean, I text in it daily and I hear it a fair amount, but actual writing is different, and I'm not reading much lately, or really speaking at all)

Everything Else
Nothing really. Still playing with the Arabic alphabet,
3 x

Systematiker
Blue Belt

Postby Systematiker » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:58 pm

Another update, but again without posting videos, because I've only got so much time, I'm afraid.

Spanish
ES Reading: 5880 / 10000 ES Film: 160 / 200
Got into watching La casa de papel, which is pretty good. Started an audiobook, and the Spanish group is I think doing a Borges read-along in March, so I'm looking forward to that.

French
Very very little here. I only don't say nothing because I'm sure I've at least listened to some music and French has been made enough a part of my life that I doubt I go any appreciable amount of time without listening to or reading something, I just don't always keep track of it.

Portuguese
PT NT: 42 / 60
Some more reading in the Bible as well as both of the novels I have started at the moment. I'm enjoying this point.

Catalan
Catalan has come up short - despite having two series I want to watch and a novel started, I end up leaving it last. Some clozemaster.

Swedish
Just some clozemaster. I really need to finish the FSI project, then I can allow myself to read some.

Danish
A bit more of Kierkegaard, but I still haven't finished.

Latin
Bäh nothing

Ancient Greek
No progress here either, sorry to say. This afternoon.

Hebrew
Pimsleur: 6 / 30
Jenni: 6 / 30
Another chapter of Jenni, and two units of Pimsleur (each done twice, because it was around lesson 5 last time that I started having retention trouble). I'm planning on starting some SRS with the vocabulary from Jenni, not because I love SRS, but simply because flashcards helped a lot the first time and I now have the ability to do it on my phone. I also got Ha-Yesod for my birthday from my Aunt (we have virtual keyboards here in the forum, but none for Hebrew, hmm), which I haven't even looked at yet. I have been exploring some more music, and I'm thrilled to say that I even encounter the occasional song where I can follow e.g. the whole refrain. Inspired by Expug, I've even been doing a bit of Duolingo

Korean
Video: 6 / 200 TTMIK 1: 18 / 25
A little more TTMIK, but nothing else. I was supposed to be finding several hours a week for serious study for Korean, and due to shifting other things back, I haven't yet.

Czech
Nothing, although it's getting more tempting. Actually, this could be a candidate for iguanamon's challenge, I haven't ever done any coursework with it anyway...

Gaelic
A round of clozemaster, that's it.

Russian
Assimil: 31 / 90 Reading: 0 / 10000
I'm so proud, I found an error in the Ilya Frank reader. Ok, it was minor, but I recognized it as an error! Yeah, so that and lots of music, and the "Easy Russian" videos on Youtube (where I'm following halfway decently, even if I cover up the part of the screen where the subtitles are). I really feel like if I could just do this Assimil-push that I've been planning, I'd be able to deal with a serious course as well as start some Bible reading, and if I can do that, it should take off. No meetings with my tutor as of late, I'm not sure what's up. I watched some cartoons recently, and I'm thinking about just sucking it up and watching some TV or a movie, but I'm cautioned by Expug's experience with extensive/SC Russian and imperfect understanding.

Basque
Nothing.

Dutch
Actually, reading some.

Swabian
Nothing here.

German
Babylon Berlin on Netflix - enjoying that a lot (and, as an aside, I didn't need the subtitles for over half the Russian that's in it!). Some conversation over the weekend, as expected.

Everything Else
Still working on my alphabet apps, to include Arabic. Looked a little more at Anglo-Saxon Psalms.
And a complaint about Spotify that led me to a less-than-wise decision. So, like many things, Spotify can handle recommendations based on what you like. Actually, they do a good job of it, even if you listen to very different things and in different languages. I am slightly miffed at what I get for recommendations in French, because I listened to some things that Sctroyenne posted and now I get stuck in a single genre most of the time - and that's my complaint, it's very hard to re-train it if you listen to a bunch of similar stuff in one language. And in a combination error, I was recommended and enjoyed Panivalkovna, which has since meant that I'm having a heck of a time getting music in Russian that's to my taste, but I get loads of Ukrainian stuff recommended. A lot of which I've liked, which reinforces Spotify in recommending Ukrainian music to me. So I might have started dabbling on Duolingo with Ukranian. I mean, it's not like I've already got enough on my plate, and another Slavic language waiting, and no real reason to learn it besides I've enjoyed a few things recently, right?
4 x

Systematiker
Blue Belt

Postby Systematiker » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:25 pm

Now with 200% more Slavic languages and logging in parallel at https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7742
2 x

Systematiker
Blue Belt

Postby Systematiker » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:04 am

An update, in which some progress is made in some areas, and in which I've got a bunch more to say but really need to go to bed.

Spanish
ES Reading: 5880 / 10000 ES Film: 160 / 200
Just the everyday stuff since the last update - Lenten readings, music, the occasional podcast. Really, though, what's my goal here? If I ever finish FSI, which is just for the sake of speaking practice, that's the only thing I'm tracking in a significant sense. The other bars, I'll just shift the end goal when I'm done, so I can log it for my own reference. Spanish isn't going anywhere, it's a part of my everyday life. At some point I'll stretch some more in it, but yeah, right now, it's just "more of the same."

French
Same as Spanish, with the addition of a few of the prayer offices. Actually, everything that I said about Spanish could be said about French, except that I actually don't love French, it's just too useful (and I've sunk too much in it!) to not keep it up.

Portuguese
PT NT: 47 / 60
I actually have read more of the NT and this progress bar is wrong but I'm too lazy at the moment to go look at the app. Otherwise, music and Facebook.

Catalan
Bäh. 5-7 minute sessions of clozemaster daily.

Swedish
Also 5-7 minute sessions of clozemaster.

Danish
Nothing.

Latin
Nothing.

Ancient Greek
Read some more of the NT.

Hebrew
Pimsleur: 6 / 30
Jenni: 7 / 30
In the part of the week where I can't do much audio, so not much progress here. A little Duolingo on a couple days. Clozemaster's still too hard.

Korean
Video: 6 / 200 TTMIK 1: 18 / 25
Uh yeah still didn't do anything in the last few days.

Czech
Czech has been exhilarating. I did only one lesson on duolingo, because it's in beta and won't come up on my phone, and that's the value of duolingo for me, "hidden moments." But switching to English-Czech on Clozemaster has got me able to do words by frequency instead of a huge lump (I had played around with French-Czech before) and it makes it actually accessible. I've found some youtube videos, in the spirit of the FLC challenge, and done a few lessons. Czechclass101 does a number of free youtube videos, and "Learn Czech with Rich" has a "basic course" which is pretty much just phrases so far but it's not bad. I'm feeling good about Czech at the moment, at least receptively.

Ukrainian
Ukrainian, on the other hand, is proving harder. Clozemaster is too difficult at this stage, so I'm using only duolingo in hidden moments - but anything else gets super hard, too. The "easy Ukrainian" Youtbe videos are too hard as well. I've been listening to a bunch of music, and not being able to understand much, but most probably I just need more practice to shift over to clozemaster and easy youtube videos.

Gaelic
Clozemaster

Russian
Assimil: 37 / 90 Reading: 0 / 10000
RU NT: 4 / 90
Clozemaster, which is super useful here, and I decided to jump in and L-R the NT (well, Russian text and Russian audio). It was worth a shot, and I'm actually quite pleased with how much I'm understanding (over 50%, probably more in the 65-70% range, plus once I get the context I know where I'm at). I still intend to do these other things, just...the daily pensum is like 15 minutes for the NT on this plan, it's very doable.

Basque
Nothing.

Dutch
Clozemaster, which is better than nothing.

Swabian

Mostly because my wife wanted to test me on the Tag der Muttersprache the other day and came up with stuff I had no clue about, I'm doing a bit more Swabian lately. There's even an all-Swabian internet radio!

German
Still writing, and such.

Everything Else
Bavarian down here, I guess?
3 x

Systematiker
Blue Belt

Postby Systematiker » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:55 pm

More updating! I used to update most Wednesdays, now Wednesday isn't so good. But it gave me a chance to make some progress since Tuesday. Doing a rotation among books, reading a chapter at a time before switching novels.

Spanish
ES Reading: 5880 / 10000 ES Film: 161 / 200
Working on a couple different books I had started before, in the interest of not having 2000 books started at the same time, and I joined the Borges read-along. Also watched some more, but that's not something I can do a lot at present. Occasional podcasts.

French
Listened a bit, and also working on a couple things I have started here (including Dumas, but also things I started a while back and still haven't finished for whatever reason). And podcasts.

Portuguese
PT NT: 47 / 60
Two novels started, two novels in the rotation. Got some podcasts lined up I'm looking forward to.

Catalan
Algú com tu in the rotation, reading the news, and some podcasts. And Clozemaster (which was all I was doing for a while, and I notice a significant change in my reading. Anecdotal, but hey!)

Swedish
FSI: 8 / 16
Another unit of FSI, and I re-started Röda Rummet, which is going much much better this time around. A couple podcasts.

Danish
Nothing, as before.

Latin
I've actually begun using Clozemaster, so I have a language rotation, and it's good practice. (I do Dutch and Swedish, Russian and Czech, and Catalan on Clozemaster. Latin means I can rotate Slavic-German-Romance [or whichever order] and have an even rotation)

Ancient Greek
GK Reading: 85 / 10000
Finished the Didache, probably going to read the Shepherd of Hermas. No progress on Herodotus. Reading from Luke for Sunday, no progress with the straight read-through.

Hebrew
Pimsleur: 8 / 30
Jenni: 7 / 30
Making slow progress still. I'd like an app solution for hidden moments - I see Expug is using Memrise and Mond.ly, so I've got to look into my options there, Duolingo is annoying me trying to teach me a bunch of random words in order to teach me the letters. Lots of music, with poor (but some!) understanding)

Korean
Video: 6 / 200 TTMIK 1: 20 / 25
Small amounts of progress again. I've also gotten lingodeer as an app, which is apparently the solution for a Korean app, and I like it so far. I'm calling my Korean buddy tonight, too.

Czech
Nothing but clozemaster since Tuesday, and trying to resist the temptation to begin another L-R NT plan. I'd do the Torah, if I had OT audio.

Ukrainian
Only duolingo at present...

Gaelic
Nothing.

Russian
Assimil: 45 / 90 Reading: 0 / 10000
RU NT: 7 / 90
I forgot that the NT plan I picked is hard at the beginning, because it hits the early long chapters of Matthew and chapters out of Acts at the same time, so each day's worth takes like half an hour to L-R. I'm a couple days behind. Progress on Assimil, and the firm commitment that I'll do that other experiment when I'm done with it.

Basque
Nothing

Dutch
Clozemaster

Swabian
Music and my wife, do they count as language practice?

German
Still haven't finished Babylon Berlin, either

Everything Else
There hasn't been any "else", which isn't a bad thing.
1 x

Return to “Language logs”