Re-Inventing the System: Systematiker repeatedly changes his plans

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native Brazilian Portuguese#advanced fluency English, French, Papiamento#basic fluency Italian, Norwegian#intermediate Spanish, German, Georgian and Chinese (Mandarin)#basic Russian, Estonian, Greek (Modern)#just started Indonesian, Hebrew (Modern), Guarani
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9931

Re: Re-Inventing the System: Systematiker repeatedly changes his plans

Postby Expugnator » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:07 am

I'm in! I can listen-read the Three Body Problem in Mandarin/English and then I'd join in to whatever new proposal encompasses another language I'm learning. i've just started another book in Mandarin so I might start rather slowly next month.
0 x
Corrections welcome for any language.

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:46 am

As the creator of the LLORG Book Club 2018, I am happy for you all to use the thread to do monthly read alongs! There are a lot of books with translations in many languages. I have read Pride and Prejudice in Spanish and Portuguese recently and 1984 in Spanish translation. Of course, there is more out there than just English-language books translated into other languages. Pedro Páramo is the latest book in the Spanish read along. It has also been translated into multiple languages. It would be really cool to open up a read along to all members to read a book in any language that they can read... or even multiple languages.

Having the Book Club already existing, it would keep all the activity in one place and could be a long term repository, easily searchable.
4 x

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)
*Averaged for high receptive skill
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7332

Postby Systematiker » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:45 pm

Well, I’m glad to have hosted the genesis of that idea, even though I just read the book and am apparently terrible at read-alongs (Pedro Páramo anyone?)

I’m on vacation this week, sitting by the shore, so tons of studying just isn’t in the cards.
2 x

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)

Postby Systematiker » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:02 am

A much-belated update, with not so much accomplished. Since I've been back from my vacation I haven't really given much time at all to studying.

Spanish
ES Reading: 6391 / 10000 ES Listening: 200 / 200
FSI: 28 / 53
I've probably done the most of any language in Spanish. I've watched a couple of movies, and listened to podcasts and audiobooks, but I'm not even logging time any more. I'll probably wipe the progress bars entirely when I hit 10.000 pages of reading, and say enough tracking. I've been reading as well, Lituma en los Andes and Las Moradas, some Lorca. I'll probably have the nerve to track the remaining three-and-a-half thousand pages, then I will probably even move Spanish down by German. Have I hit my goal? Maybe, but it will be a while before I could take an exam to tell, and I'm more than satisfied with my ability right now. So now the trick will be not doing too much in Spanish because it's easy...

French
FR Reading: 3756 / 10000 FR Listening: 95 / 200
I've done a fair amount of French reading, and listened to most of an audiobook. Surprising, when you consider it was not a language I'm focusing on right now. It's also probably one of the least useful at the moment - but so very tempting. Notice that I read a bunch, but don't finish anything...

Portuguese
PT Reading: 875 / 10000 PT Listening: 21 / 200
Re-listened to Casa Velha, because I could, and read another chapter of Padre Amaro, but I still haven't finished it, nor have I watched any more. Random stuff online.

Catalan
CAT Reading: 245 / 10000 CAT Listening: 7 / 200
Nothing.

Galego
Read another chapter of the novel.

Swedish
SV Reading: 1289 / 10000 SV Listening: 34 / 200
FSI: 8 / 16
Nothing.

Danish
DK Reading: 130 / 10000 DK Listening: 7 / 200
Started reading a short story by J.P. Jacobsen, Mogens, primarily because I have been reading poetry in other languages, among them Rilke, and I've got an edition of his works, so why not the famous letters, and he writes of Jacobsen, and it is free online. I'm not in far enough (a couple paragraphs!) to say what I think.

Latin
LAT Reading: 50 / 10000
A fair bit of Caesar.

Ancient Greek
GK Reading: 72 / 10000
A bit of the NT, less Herodotus.

Hebrew
Pimsleur: 17 / 30 FSI: 1 / 40
LR Psalms First Pass: 27 / 150
Jenni: 7 / 30
Nothing.

Korean
Video: 11 / 200 TTMIK 2: 9 / 25
FSI: 1 / 19
Yikes, nothing.

Persian
Pimsleur Farsi: 2 / 10 Pimselur Dari: 0 / 10
I stalled here as well. Didn't really continue even with Chai and Conversation, so I'll probably need to review in order to continue. I just haven't had the time available where I also had the mental energy.

Czech
CZ Pent: 9 / 70 Video: 2 / 200
I'd say nothing, but I did browse through the running website because it was still open on my phone, so I read a little bit.

Ukrainian
Also nothing here. Same situation as with Persian, I've just not made space for the podcasts. It also probably doesn't help that I haven't been running properly in a couple weeks, and that was solid time for all these podcasts (weather, travel, phone calls in the middle of my run, etc.)

Russian
MT Foundation: 8 / 8 MT Advanced: 5 / 5
Assimil: 60 / 90 Reading: 0 / 10000
RU NT: 25 / 90 Listening: 1 / 200
Just some of the Ilya Frank reader lately, I haven't been up to more. Wait, did I say the thing about the sermon? How long ago was that? At some point I was super excited because I listened to a podcast of a sermon and could follow most of it (lots of unfamiliar words, but I didn't lose the thread) - but that may have been weeks ago, I don't even remember. Watching the Sniffer though.

German
Poetry, mostly - Novalis, Rilke, Goethe.

Gaelic
No, I'm not bringing it back, but I'm sore tempted. I blame galaxyrocker, who posted excerpts in Irish about time with bits of Latin, and I realized how much I was understanding with those small crutches thrown in, and thought, hey, I could look at Scottish Gaelic again...
5 x

Systematiker
Blue Belt

Postby Systematiker » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:44 am

I’m back. I’ve been occupied elsewhere for a while, and languages have been a part of that, but it’s not been my normal routine.

Extensive update sometime next week, when I’m back sitting in front of my computer. And when I’ve read the 50+ notifications from what I’ve missed.
11 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:20 pm

Welcome back :)
1 x

Systematiker
Blue Belt

Postby Systematiker » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:00 pm

Here's sort of an update on the last two months. I was gone from the forum as well as gone literally, so my routine was also completely different.

My progress bars are also so woefully out of date that I'm just not going to include them in this update.

Short version: I didn't do much, used Spanish and German, and was surprised by how much Hebrew I got to use. Did cool stuff in German.

Any changes? Yeah, I'm going to try and put my main focus on Korean and Hebrew, with a lesser focus on Russian. I will be doing more in the ancient languages. I'll continue to dabble in Persian, but probably drop Czech and Ukrainian for now. Everything else will be relegated to "if there's something I want to do in the language I'll do it" enjoyment status.

Spanish
I always expect to use Spanish, and I always do use it. Nothing focused in terms of reading or media - read some Márquez, watched some Casa de los Flores (which is quite good), but apart from the conversational and professional usage, Spanish is more and more simply the language that some things I do happen to be in. Which is kind of cool.

French
Finished the audiobook. I had one brief conversation in French, and occasionally listened to music. I don't miss it as much as I thought I might...

Portuguese
Read a little, but didn't push it.

Catalan
Nothing.

Galego
It was a neat experiment, and I can follow the novel, but it's not a priority, so nothing at the moment.

Swedish
Nothing.

Danish
Nothing.

Latin
Nothing worth mentioning.

Ancient Greek
Being out of the regular weekly cycle meant that I dropped this as well. I'm back into it as of this week, and I'd really like to make this an area to sharpen my skills going forward. I probably have to start doing composition...ugh...

Hebrew
This was a surprise. I spent a lot of time with a couple of Hebrew speakers, and although I'm not good, they were patient and helpful. I got a ton of media recommendations as well.

Korean
Managed to get sucked into some TV shows, where I still have to have subtitles, but can understand a fair bit, sometimes even following dialogue before reading the subs.

Persian
Nothing.

Czech
Nothing.

Ukrainian
Nothing.

Russian
Nothing until this week, but now some TV

Swabian
Interestingly, if I speak Swabian and my interlocutor speaks Yiddish, we understand one another just fine. Better, after a bit of rum.

German
Did an entire service in German last Sunday, as I wasn't home. I actually have a recording of my sermon if anyone is interested. Lots and lots of conversation.

Everything Else
Last Friday, of course, read the Dream of the Rood aloud as every year.
6 x

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Postby Xenops » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:42 pm

Where is the Scottish Gaelic? :D While Japanese will be my focus language, I want work on Scottish Gaelic as well, and I can only encourage you in that direction.
0 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

MattNeilsen
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Hebrew (studying - beginner)
Spanish (passive, beginner)
Mandarin (mostly forgotten)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=8869

Postby MattNeilsen » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:50 pm

Systematiker wrote:Hebrew
This was a surprise. I spent a lot of time with a couple of Hebrew speakers, and although I'm not good, they were patient and helpful. I got a ton of media recommendations as well.

If you get a moment, I'd love to hear about these media recommendations :) I've been compiling resources on the first post of my log for other Hebrew learners (particularly Modern Hebrew), but my list is fairly light on media recommendations. I'd be very grateful for anything you can share.

-Matt
0 x
Hebrew
Pimsleur Level 2: 21 / 30
FSI : 3 / 40
Clozemaster 101-500 Most Common Words: 1600 / 4825
Srugim Season 3: 1 / 15
1100 hours of study/input : 160 / 1100

Systematiker
Blue Belt

Postby Systematiker » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:38 pm

Somehow the entire month ran away from me - in part because I had some unexpected obligations, in part because the things I knew about made me busier than I thought I'd be.

@MattNeilsen, I've looked at your list of TV shows, and the only thing I remember that you don't already have is Mossad101, which is on US Netflix, and is pretty accessible language-wise.

@Xenops, don't tempt me, it'll end up coming back...

Of course, I didn't stick to my plan from the last post at all. I have a new rhythm, in which I do something daily in Korean, Hebrew, Persian, Russian, and Arabic (see below) and where the rest of my languages I'm pretty much just enjoying things without worrying too much about improvement. I've also moved my listing around to reflect this.

Hebrew
Pimsleur: 18 / 30 FSI: 1 / 40
LR Psalms First Pass: 27 / 150
Jenni: 8 / 30
In addition to some small progress on the bars, I've been watching some TV (hey, I get whole phrases and sometimes small dialogues!) and chatting with some friends who have been very excited about helping me out. I have been listening to some music, and the occasional recorded piece of talk, and understanding a good bit. As always, my production lags way behind my reception, but it's been that way for all my languages, so I'm not too worried. I've done a lot of textual work with the OT in recent weeks, and would like to start working through Ha-Yesod before too much longer, but we'll see.

Korean
Video: 25 / 200 TTMIK 2: 19 / 25
FSI: 1 / 19
That progress bar is off, but I'm not looking up and fixing it now. I can follow the plot of a familiar show without subtitles! And I can say an awful lot, more than I ever could - just enough to get myself in trouble, haha. Writing is still a dumpster fire, but hey, it'll come. Here again I have a very helpful friend, actually my best friend aside from my wife, who is a native, and he's awesome about helping me (it also helps that I taught him about half the English he knows, so he's never annoyed when I ask him for help with Korean). TTMIK fits well in the car or running, so most of my work is audio and speaking voice messages, so I'll have to transition to some written work before too long. Probably the NT, it's worked well before.

Persian
Pimsleur Farsi: 2 / 10 Pimselur Dari: 0 / 10
I'm back into Chai and Conversation, doing a lesson a day, after doing some to review. I'm tempted to sign up for their transcripts, but probably won't. I feel pretty good about doing this, and can probably keep up this pensum. I can't do Persian while I'm running, it takes too much focus, but I can do it when doing other workouts or in the car, so that's where I'm currently fitting it in. I've had no problems with the alphabet as of yet, and regular practice with it should ease my transition when it's time to do some book work.

Czech
CZ Pent: 9 / 70 Video: 2 / 200
This I've let fall by the wayside. I'm on the fence about abandoning it entirely.

Ukrainian
Here, I'm doing that Ukrainian podcast daily, and very often I'm understanding the whole dialogue prior to any explanations. I've also watched a few short video clips, and a documentary, with really good understanding of the sort of daily conversation that people have. I'm actually super proud of my progress here, especially for having done so little work. As with a couple of the above, running, workouts, and the car are good places for 15-20 minute sessions in my life right now.

Russian
MT Foundation: 8 / 8 MT Advanced: 5 / 5
Assimil: 60 / 90 Reading: 0 / 10000
RU NT: 25 / 90 Listening: 5 / 200
Yeah I haven't updated the progress bars - but I've enjoyed Хождение по мукам immensely as a miniseries, so much so that I've even bought the first of the books and want to struggle through it. I've been listening to a slow Russian podcast, and am doing well with TV and podcasts, but I'm aware that I'll need some solidifying of my grammar and some book work...when I get around to it. For now, I'm thrilled that I'm able to understand so much, and want to ride this wave as far as I can.

Arabic
Yes, Arabic again. I got talked into this one, by a friend who is in the beginner stages, and we're working on it together. Primarily focusing on the Levantine dialect. I'm using the resources I have access to already, and spending 15-20 minutes a day on it. He's going to shoot ahead of me, because he fluently speaks another Semitic language, but I may be able to keep up given that I've got a bit more experience learning various languages and have a sort of system that works for me. The biggest hurdle in the past, the alphabet, is less of a problem now, since I had to learn it for Persian, and my own prejudices against Arabic (mostly due to my previous experiences) are less of an issue, that is, I've got more motivation this time around than ever before.

French
FR Reading: 3756 / 10000 FR Listening: 99 / 200
Piddling around watching TV and reading, podcasts, progress bars not updated.

Portuguese
PT Reading: 875 / 10000 PT Listening: 25 / 200
Piddling around watching TV and reading, podcasts, progress bars not updated.

Catalan
CAT Reading: 245 / 10000 CAT Listening: 9 / 200
Piddling around watching TV and podcasts, progress bars not updated. I'd like to finish Merli, I enjoyed what I've seen so far.

Galego
I still will keep this as a heading until I finish the novel, but that's all I plan.

Swedish
SV Reading: 1289 / 10000 SV Listening: 37 / 200
FSI: 8 / 16
Read a bit, tried Bonusfamiljen (meh), still have my podcasts, I'm ok with this.

Danish
DK Reading: 130 / 10000 DK Listening: 8 / 200
Not much at all. Occasional podcast. I'm OK with that.

Latin
LAT Reading: 50 / 10000
Haven't had much time for Latin lately, going to remedy that as soon as I have a bit lighter schedule (so, the new year, probably)

Ancient Greek
GK Reading: 85 / 10000
Lots of work with Homeric and Koine, but not stuff I've tracked.

Swabian
Just chatting.

German
It won't be in this post because I'm still struggling to get it on my computer and then uploaded, but I'll eventually post my sermon from a few weeks ago. Otherwise, this is just the other language I live in.

Spanish
This is just pure enjoyment time. Watching TV here is a genuine break, like German or English, so I've got a couple series started (Casa de las Flores, Catedral del Mar, Tiempos de Guerra). Haven't been reading much, really because I've had a great deal of professional reading to do, and the bits of TL reading I've done have been in other languages.

Everything Else
Gaelic will probably come back, as will Basque, once I hit some milestones in my focus areas. I don't want to not. But I'm pretty much untempted by anything else at the moment.
11 x

Return to “Language logs”