Re-Inventing the System: Systematiker repeatedly changes his plans

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)
*Averaged for high receptive skill
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7332

Re-Inventing the System: Systematiker repeatedly changes his plans

Postby Systematiker » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:56 pm

Old log, with list of goals here: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 340#p90782

I've decided to start a new log, because, well, why not. There's going to be a lot of "not yet" for the next few weeks - but that's the plan, and I can't seem to make any plans that stick, so maybe I'll have a lot to report after all.

Spanish
I've already started back with the FSI lessons, and done 1.5 units. I started with unit 21, which I think is close to where I stopped - it's not after it, as this is really familiar. I'm filling a lot of free time with it, so I hope to be done with the whole thing sooner rather than later. Still listening to a lot of podcasts, not so much reading or watching in the last days.

French
Presently just doing podcasts, since it's the busy time of the year.

Portuguese
Still just on podcasts here.

Catalan
I'm getting more regular listening to Catalan podcasts, and having more enjoyment - my comprehension is better, so I can relax more when listening. The only thing I've been doing is podcasts and clozemaster, so it is either podcasts over time or a testament to clozemaster (or, I'm getting synergy from doing more Spanish. Who knows).

Swedish

I returned to doing more in Swedish recently, and have been surprised by a pretty good jump in my listening ability. I'm looking forward to tackling FSI in January, and, as Elenia mentioned, the return of På Spåret (I will probably be constantly behind, though)

Danish

Nothing, which for right now is OK.

Latin
Some light and cursory reading, and occasional hymns or prayers just because.

Ancient Greek
Weekly texts, but that's it so far.

Hebrew
Worked with Psalm 22 today, but I'd like to go over it again.

Korean
Ready to roll...after Christmas.

Czech
Also on hold until after Christmas.

Gaelic
Been on a bit of a Gaelic kick, for the small amounts of time that I've had, listening to some music and doing some Clozemaster.

Russian
I'm planning on rotating in the MT on some upcoming driving, and expect to begin Assimil by January

Basque
I re-did lesson 1 of Assimil.

Dutch
Reading the news, and watching a couple short internet videos.

Swabian
Nix

German
We're starting to break the household rules more, which might not be ideal for the kids, but it's good for my German. I got to talk to my mother-in-law a bit as well, and have been doing a fair bit of reading.
8 x

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)

Re: Re-Inventing the System: Systematiker repeatedly changes his plans

Postby Systematiker » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:53 pm

A rather sparse update, which makes sense for the time of year.

Spanish
Through unit 23 of FSI, all has been repetition from my previous run-though until now. I should be getting close to where I stopped. Otherwise just some reading and podcasts.

French
Just podcasts at present, I've got a lot less time to spread around for the moment.

Portuguese
Nothing.

Catalan
Podcasts and clozemaster

Swedish

I'm all hyped up to start the FSI course in January, but not doing much now.

Danish

So, I tell myself I'm going to focus on Swedish first, and start in January, so what do I do? Danish Danish Danish. Podcasts and documentary film and reading. Well, it's not a bad thing!

Latin
Nothing.

Ancient Greek
Hey, I'm doing 6 services a week, I at least look at the Greek text first...

Hebrew
Nothing.

Korean
Played with TTMIK, since there's a convenient app, and started FSI (about halfway through unit 1), so I'm way ahead of what I thought, since I thought I wouldn't be doing much until January and desk time.

Czech
I listened to part of a Pimsleur-style audio program, which was absolutely terrible (repeat these sentences! No, we won't tell you what they mean!), but it was free on Spotify, so I tried it.

Gaelic
Clozemaster and the nigh-unintelligble Salm

Russian
Late one evening/early one morning, I listened to the Assimil audio, and I can follow about the first ten lessons or so without any problem. Other than that brief-yet-interesting experience, nothing. I still want to re-do/finish MT before Assimil, and I sort of bemoan no longer having Pimsleur Russian (I don't know what happened, I used to have it...), just because audio stuff is easier right now.

Basque
Nothing.

Dutch
Quite a bit of internet reading and Facebook chatting, actually.

Swabian
A Schwob wird nedd reich durch viel vrdiena, sondern durch wenig ausgäba!
2 x

Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt
Languages: Belgian French (N)

I can speak: Dutch, German, English, Spanish and understand Italian, Portuguese, Wallonian, Afrikaans, but not always correctly.

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:56 pm

Systematiker wrote:
Swabian
A Schwob wird nedd reich durch viel vrdiena, sondern durch wenig ausgäba!

:lol: hahaha.... stingy like the Scottish and Dutch
1 x
-w- I am Jar-ptitsa and my Hawaiian name is ʻā ʻaia. Please correct my mistakes in all the languages. Thank you very much.
: 1 / 50 Spanish grammar
: 5 / 50 Spanish vocabulary

Systematiker
Blue Belt

Postby Systematiker » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:57 pm

Limited time and situations make updating the log harder, but I'm still plugging along in the busy season over here.

Spanish
Still ticking along working on FSI, and I've been reading a bit more lately. I have been reading some old threads on HTLAL lately, and I think something I want to do is more exploration of the literary canon in Spanish, rather than the sort of novels I've been reading lately (which I only enjoy when I'm in the right mood). As I've just finished one, time's ripe for a change. I've also begun reading the news every morning, since El País has such an accessible app.

French
Some of the same considerations as with Spanish have led me to take stock of what I've got to read in French, and what I'd like to do regarding literature. So I'm probably about to embark on some Moliére and Dumas. Le Monde as well has a nice app that works for me.

Portuguese
I've actually long wanted to read Machado de Assis and Eço de Queirõs, and they're cheap on Kindle, and I don't think I need be afraid about my ability, so...I also picked up the app for Público. I know not much about the paper and its bent, but it's available so I suppose I'll learn.

Catalan
Literature is a bit harder to come by in Catalan, but I'm working on it, as well as on finishing Assimil. And El Punt Avui is accessible. Again, I don't know where the paper stands, but I don't mind finding out (and I'm not having any problem with understanding, which is nice).

Swedish

Not much at present, though I find myself eager to start FSI. Hmm, what's a good Swedish newspaper? If I do the lit thing here, I've got some stuff lined up as well, not just lighter works.

Danish

Nothing.

Latin
Nothing, but a lot of regret about it.

Ancient Greek
I'm still figuring out what it will look like, but I'm totally going to step up my Greek game (Josquin's log has been a bit of an inspiration to get back to being more than functional-for-preaching)

Hebrew
Nothing, but vague plans.

Korean
Still trying to find time to finish the drills for FSI unit one. I would probably be drowning if I were a true beginner. Haven't done any more TTMIK either, though I am really attracted to the idea of running through it (well, at least until I start encountering truly new stuff, which shouldn't be too much longer). I might even pay for the subscription.

Czech
Nothing, as planned.

Gaelic
Nothing.

Russian
Re-did MT disc 1, and intend on getting disc 2 done this week. We'll see. I'm ready to learn Russian for real...I hope this motivation sticks around for when I've got time to use it!

Basque
Um, there was some music in the Basque study group thread, that counts, right?

Dutch
Nothing.

Swabian
Nix.

German
Actually! I'm buying a digital issue of Die Zeit from time to time, and reading the SZ as a part of my morning news with the other languages, so that's actually regular and non-incidental use. I actually did some thinking, and I spend 30-60 minutes a day in German just in the course of my normal day, which probably explains a lot.
4 x

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native Brazilian Portuguese#advanced fluency English, French, Papiamento#basic fluency Italian, Norwegian#intermediate Spanish, German, Georgian and Chinese (Mandarin)#basic Russian, Estonian, Greek (Modern)#just started Indonesian, Hebrew (Modern), Guarani
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9931

Postby Expugnator » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:52 pm

I totally agree about your approach for the Romance languages, I've been reasoning similarly lately. I read contemporary novels for the vocabulary, but in the case of the Romance languages I can go through such novels as audiobooks. That leaves room for reading actual literature, which is one of my goals in the first place. Thus I'm aiming to read only what I need or want to read in French for its own sake and work on expanding my exposure to the multiple registers mostly in the audio formats.

I'm really looking forward to reading about your experience with Machado de Assis and Eça de Queirós!!!
2 x
Corrections welcome for any language.

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:53 pm

Systematiker wrote:Hmm, what's a good Swedish newspaper?

Are you familiar with PressReader? Thousands of newspapers and magazines, are readable online. Many Swedish libraries offer this (international) service, but I don't know if non-Swedish IPs are blocked.
2 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:16 pm

jeff_lindqvist wrote:
Systematiker wrote:Hmm, what's a good Swedish newspaper?

Are you familiar with PressReader? Thousands of newspapers and magazines, are readable online. Many Swedish libraries offer this (international) service, but I don't know if non-Swedish IPs are blocked.

Thanks. That’s a brilliant app. I tried it out, and if you try to download articles or newspapers, you have to pay, but you can set it to show the top stories from each country you’re interested in and that seems to be free. And that’s probably enough news for me to be getting on with anyway. After a few tries, I even found out how to use my pop-up dictionaries with it. In case anyone was wondering: If you touch and hold a word, a menu comes up, choose “copy,” and a copy of the article will come up in a new window and the copy works with dictionaries.
3 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:46 pm

Did you check the HotSpot map? Many libraries in Norway offer the service (including Steinkjer bibliotek - close to you?). I think this means that you have access the whole catalogue if you're on their network/wifi, and I also think that the access is valid up to three days after logging on to the network, even if you're somewhere else. That's what I have been told. It's worth a try!
1 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Tristano
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: Italian
Speaks: English, Dutch, French, Spanish
Understands but not yet speaks: Romanian
Studies: German
Can't wait to put his hands on: Scandinavian languages, Slavic languages, Turkish, Arabic and other stuff
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5141

Postby Tristano » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:26 pm

Eh? What is swabian? It looks like a German dialect...
0 x

Josquin
Blue Belt
Languages: German (native); English (advanced fluency); French (basic fluency); Italian, Swedish, Russian, Irish (intermediate); Dutch, Icelandic, Japanese, Portuguese, Scottish Gaelic (beginner); Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Sanskrit (reading only)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=737

Postby Josquin » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:05 pm

Tristano wrote:Eh? What is swabian? It looks like a German dialect...

That's exactly what it is! Wikipedia: Swabian German
0 x
Oró, sé do bheatha abhaile! Anois ar theacht an tsamhraidh.

Return to “Language logs”