Episode VI: A New Hope, Cavesa strikes back

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Re: Episode VI: A New Hope, Cavesa strikes back

Postby Cavesa » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:21 pm

A change. I cannot wait a whole year longer to get out of here. I cannot wait for the French exams in June 2019. If I push hard, I can get my degree in December. And get a job abroad immediately after that, even if I am not that excited about Germany.

During the last week, several huge problems of mine were resolved. Not ideally, but in the best way possible under the conditions. I was as much of an optimist as is possible for me

And now this. I hate 51% of my country. And I don't want to ever help them live longer, they use their lives only to damage others. I want to get out of here. 51% of the people here don't want a good country, doesn't have any moral values, and their hate towards Prague is blind. They hate the better part of the country, the more intelligent and hardworking people, so why should they profit from us.

I need to focus much more on German. And forget about any other dreams. I need to get out. Many people will, unless the pighead dies soon. Which is very probable, given his health. When he does, all his responsibilities, as defines the Constitution, will go to the mafioso leading the government. A proved criminal. There is no hope in this worthless hole.

An hour of German per day is doable. And a must from now on. I hate this country. 51% doesn't deserve anything. They are constantly proving they don't care about freedom, they don't want prosperity, they don't want to belong in the civilised world. I will not spend my life among them. I will not destroy my personal life to serve them.

Don't learn Czech. It is the language of worthless trash. Hopefully, my children won't need it for anything other than talking to their grandparents. And my grandchildren will not speak a single word of this crap.
3 x

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Postby Xenops » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:47 am

As an outsider looking in, I cannot offer any useful perspective on the politics or the state of your country: but please, before you make any rash decisions, carefully consider all of your options. Don't make any decisions based on emotions.
4 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

tiia
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (?), Finnish (C1), Spanish (B2??), Swedish (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=2374

Postby tiia » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:37 am

Xenops wrote:As an outsider looking in, I cannot offer any useful perspective on the politics or the state of your country: but please, before you make any rash decisions, carefully consider all of your options. Don't make any decisions based on emotions.

I would say: Don't make hasty decisions based on emotions. But: emotions can be a good sign, when there's something wrong. In some cases it would be better to listen to ones own feelings and follow the heart than to continue something, because rationally speaking it seems to be a good idea.

I don't see Cavesa is making decisions without thinking. She has been talking about moving abroad already for a long time. There were often several options on where to go, though France seemed to be the favourite one. The question may be just, whether it's necessary to put oneself in such a stressful situation again and accelerate the process and give up going to the favourite location (France).

I've read from lots of Germans, that they'd like to move to Scandinavia/Finland, just because they dislike Germany and living here. The decision is often made or talked about before they have any real idea what they're expecting. It just seems to them like a perfect place. I think many of those don't do the move in the end, or if they go, they are very likely to realise that hatred towards the home country is not providing them the best start in a new country. Because the home country (Germany) is not as bad as it sometimes seems. People just take lots of things for granted, which do not exist everywhere.
In that sense the Erasmus exchange is wonderful. It just provides students the option to go easily to another country and test out the advantages and disadvantages.
E.g. I may have had the flue with (beginning) a lung inflammation and other health related "fun" in Finland, but I see one positive point in having gone through this: I've gotten to know the Finnish health system a little. I had even such nice doctors there, that now I'm less afraid of going to one in general. (But there are also negative sides of the Finnish system, but I haven't experienced them myself.)
4 x
Corrections for entries written in Finnish, Spanish or Swedish are welcome.
Project 30+X: 25 / 30

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:15 pm

Even in the log section, there's a limit to how much you can talk about politics. (Moving abroad is a more acceptable topic though it's better suited for the Travel&Culture subforum)
@Cavesa - what was the timeframe you originally planned for moving to France?
7 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Deinonysus
Brown Belt
Languages:  
• Native: English
• Advanced: French
• Intermediate: German,
   Spanish, Hebrew
• Beginner: Italian,
   Arabic

Postby Deinonysus » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:28 pm

Serpent wrote:Even in the log section, there's a limit to how much you can talk about politics. (Moving abroad is a more acceptable topic though it's better suited for the Travel&Culture subforum)
@Cavesa - what was the timeframe you originally planned for moving to France?

Apologies for my previous post, which was overly political and not appropriate for this forum.

I'll just say, without mentioning any specific countries or politicians:

Cavesa, I can definitely sympathize with how you are feeling. I hope things work out, whether you decide to stay put or move to another country.
1 x
/daɪ.nə.ˈnaɪ.səs/

Peluche
Orange Belt

Postby Peluche » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:19 am

tiia wrote:I've read from lots of Germans, that they'd like to move to Scandinavia/Finland, just because they dislike Germany and living here.

Why? The Germans I encountered seem happy there.
0 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:16 am

I know politics is bordering the rules, I am sorry if I am fringing them too much, I'll remove all of this. But it is a huge part of my motivation to leave this hole, and therefore one of the main reasons to learn languages. It is a symptom of the state of the whole society. And the results of many elections together with other symptoms just say one thing clearly: more than one half of this country hates intelligent people. They hate anyone who refuses to stay stupid and just strives to do something better than stay a badly paid worker, whose worthless "job" can easily be moved anywhere else as it requires no particular skill. Half of this country hates freedom, they prefer someone leading them, no matter whether well or badly. And I don't want to either let them damage my life, nor improve theirs.

I simply don't want to live among those people. It is not just the politics, they show it on many other occasions too. I don't want to damage my personal life (and work in healthcare is exactly that, you let yourself and your family suffer for others) for people who not only don't deserve it. They don't value it. Their hate towards doctors shows every now and then too. They like these people enough to use the services, but not enough to wish us well. What is even more of a proof than the election results are the campaigns and the discussions among those people themselves. 51,4% of czechs hate intelligent and educated people. Being a university professor is actually a bad thing in such a setting, as the better candidate has just found out. Being supported by renowned artists is normally good, but in this worthless country it leads to "oh, he is just one of the "Prague café", one of the lazy intellectuals." Why should I want to live in a country hating people with above average intelligence? It shows the same way hatred towards any other type of diversity does. These "people" use the same kind of dictionary, whether they hate intelligent people or people of different ethnic or sexual orientation.

Moving out has been on my mind for years. I agree Erasmus is awesome for considering this, for trying out. Many people around me kept saying "but you are just complaining, you will see and find out how much you actually love it here". No, I found out every single idea of mine had been correct. My classmates after their Erasmus: "I had always thought you were too much of a pesimist. But you were right." The problem is this prison, called university. I hate myself so much for having failed to finish in time. My health didn't allow it. But if only I could have forced myself, at the expense of my health, I could have already been gone.

It is not about politics. It is about the society the values of which I do not share. The society, that would just abuse me as a doctor. The society, where 51,4% of people simply don't share any values with me, and they are decided to force their wrong and mistaken values on everyone, no matter the fact it will ruin them too.

Also, a lot of the things that have been happening here are disturbingly similar to the first half of the 20th century. Yes, the geopolitical situation is different, but some things have not changed. This means that what looks like rather minor changes and overly feared threats can turn into a fast closing cage in a short time. A few minutes after the elections, the "president" did the direct opposite of one of his promises and change his rhetorics again. And the same night, a friend of his physically attacked several journalists. In 1946 and 1948, the communists changed their promised into the reality in just a few months.

Tiia is right, it is about the timeline.

The ideal plan: studying hard and sitting the June 2019 exam for doing medecine in France.

But if everything changes faster, I'll just get my diploma in December, and move out before these morons leave the EU. The talk about the referendum is not even silent. And there is 51% of this nation, who believe nonsense and may destroy the future of all of us. Their and ours.

This is not just politics. 1938 was not just politics. 1948 was not just politics. 1968 was not just politics. Who knows what will 2018 turn into.

The goal is to leave this sinking ship before it is too late. We don't need the electrical fence and dogs around the country anymore. Removing us from the EU, which already has lots of problems and therefore won't have patience to deal with us nicely, that would suffice. I need to leave with a diploma while that diploma will be recognised.
3 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Cavesa » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:29 am

The timeline:

I need to get out as soon as I have the diploma (december 2018) and before czechs leave the EU (or get somehow kicked out), which can happen rather soon.

The only moment at which I can sit the French exams is June 2019. No, there is NO other way to get there. The other way is to stay in the country I hate for eight more years and get the final qualification paper, and probably stay without children.

Germany will take me at any moment. Some place in Germany for sure. Perhaps it won't be a dream job, but I will surely find something. I don't particularly like Germany, it is too cold there, but I'd have money to make my life nice. That is the plan B. For that, I need the Goethe B2 this summer.

Should I have to stay here for family reasons (as someone with a lot of death in my family, I have to count with this option too), I will never let anyone parasite on me, I will leave medicine, and my main goal will be independence, allowing me to live differently from most czechs.
3 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:02 pm

If you can’t get to France right away, would it be possible to start off in Germany and then try to go to France later? I mean even if you end up in Germany rather than France, it doesn’t have to be the final stop, does it?
3 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:44 pm

In the larger scheme of things, in the "macro" world, we can't control what happens around us. We can control our reaction to it. Having just read some background about what you discussed previously, I fully understand why you feel the urgency to leave sooner, rather than later. The best advice to you that I can give is to dial down your studies of other languages and concentrate on your German (while maintaining your French). You now have an urgent and very practical need for a high level of German, and soon. Wishing you the best of luck, Cavesa.
3 x

Return to “Language logs”