Episode VI: A New Hope, Cavesa strikes back

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: Episode VI: A New Hope, Cavesa strikes back

Postby rdearman » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:57 pm

This is a problem with politics, and I would appreciate it if we could all just stop. I want to quote one particular section of the rules and point out why I feel this thread is becoming problematic.
Religion and politics: Some families have a rule that says, "No political or religious arguments during holiday dinner." This forum has a similar rule year-round, for much the same reasons. We have people here from all over the world, with incredibly diverse political and religious views, and we all get along much better if we avoid these subjects.

There is a very good chance that someone on the other side of this election wouldn't appreciate being labelled as anti-intellectual. There is also a pretty good chance one of these people have read this statement, and while might not publicly post a disagreement, they are being made to feel unwelcome in a language learners forum. Our goal here is to be inclusive of language learners regardless of their personal political or social belief system. When those beliefs become public and have the potential to cause discord, create exclusions, or make people feel unwelcome then the moderators must act.

All democracies have on occasion divisive elections/referendums which polarise feelings on each side, many such elections, referendums and other public votes have happened in the last few years. There are places where these votes can be discussed but this forum is not the place to discuss political or religious views and opinions.

Please stop.
13 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

tiia
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (?), Finnish (C1), Spanish (B2??), Swedish (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=2374

Postby tiia » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:13 pm

Gemuse wrote:
tiia wrote:I've read from lots of Germans, that they'd like to move to Scandinavia/Finland, just because they dislike Germany and living here.

Why? The Germans I encountered seem happy there.

I might have been a bit unprecise here. I meant, that of those, who want to head off to Scandinavia/Finland, there's a certain amount that just wants to go, because they dislike Germany and living here. Often ist not further explained, so... How much can I say? I encountered people with this plan often in occasions, that are somehow Finland-related.
I even tried to search for those posts online again, but didn't find too many. (the fb-search function is not that great+the posts might be deleted.) And they're also mixing up with "I love the country, want to live there, but until now I have never been there"-type of people in my head.

I did not want to express that the mayority of Germans dislike living here. although one has to be honest, that indeed, a lot of people are not particularly happy with all the stuff, that is going on in regards of politics an the like. And basically people are unhappy on both sides of the spectrum. But I won't go into further detail here.
2 x
Corrections for entries written in Finnish, Spanish or Swedish are welcome.
Project 30+X: 25 / 30

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:31 pm

I'm stopping, to not break the rules. But you can stay calm, those people are highly unlikely to come here, and being called anti-intellectual is the highest praise in those circles.

I've just finished an email in Italian and it was really hard to write. I need to get to this language at some point, as it is shameful how horrible I am at it, when it comes to active skills
1 x

Peluche
Orange Belt

Postby Peluche » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:57 am

Cavesa wrote:I know politics is bordering the rules, I am sorry if I am fringing them too much, I'll remove all of this. But it is a huge part of my motivation to leave this hole, and therefore one of the main reasons to learn languages. It is a symptom of the state of the whole society. And the results of many elections together with other symptoms just say one thing clearly: more than one half of this country hates intelligent people. They hate anyone who refuses to stay stupid and just strives to do something better than stay a badly paid worker, whose worthless "job" can easily be moved anywhere else as it requires no particular skill. Half of this country hates freedom, they prefer someone leading them, no matter whether well or badly. And I don't want to either let them damage my life, nor improve theirs.

I simply don't want to live among those people. It is not just the politics, they show it on many other occasions too. I don't want to damage my personal life (and work in healthcare is exactly that, you let yourself and your family suffer for others) for people who not only don't deserve it. They don't value it. Their hate towards doctors shows every now and then too. They like these people enough to use the services, but not enough to wish us well. What is even more of a proof than the election results are the campaigns and the discussions among those people themselves. 51,4% of czechs hate intelligent and educated people. Being a university professor is actually a bad thing in such a setting, as the better candidate has just found out. Being supported by renowned artists is normally good, but in this worthless country it leads to "oh, he is just one of the "Prague café", one of the lazy intellectuals." Why should I want to live in a country hating people with above average intelligence? It shows the same way hatred towards any other type of diversity does. These "people" use the same kind of dictionary, whether they hate intelligent people or people of different ethnic or sexual orientation.

Moving out has been on my mind for years. I agree Erasmus is awesome for considering this, for trying out. Many people around me kept saying "but you are just complaining, you will see and find out how much you actually love it here". No, I found out every single idea of mine had been correct. My classmates after their Erasmus: "I had always thought you were too much of a pesimist. But you were right." The problem is this prison, called university. I hate myself so much for having failed to finish in time. My health didn't allow it. But if only I could have forced myself, at the expense of my health, I could have already been gone.

It is not about politics. It is about the society the values of which I do not share. The society, that would just abuse me as a doctor. The society, where 51,4% of people simply don't share any values with me, and they are decided to force their wrong and mistaken values on everyone, no matter the fact it will ruin them too.

Also, a lot of the things that have been happening here are disturbingly similar to the first half of the 20th century. Yes, the geopolitical situation is different, but some things have not changed. This means that what looks like rather minor changes and overly feared threats can turn into a fast closing cage in a short time. A few minutes after the elections, the "president" did the direct opposite of one of his promises and change his rhetorics again. And the same night, a friend of his physically attacked several journalists. In 1946 and 1948, the communists changed their promised into the reality in just a few months.

Tiia is right, it is about the timeline.

The ideal plan: studying hard and sitting the June 2019 exam for doing medecine in France.

But if everything changes faster, I'll just get my diploma in December, and move out before these morons leave the EU. The talk about the referendum is not even silent. And there is 51% of this nation, who believe nonsense and may destroy the future of all of us. Their and ours.

This is not just politics. 1938 was not just politics. 1948 was not just politics. 1968 was not just politics. Who knows what will 2018 turn into.

The goal is to leave this sinking ship before it is too late. We don't need the electrical fence and dogs around the country anymore. Removing us from the EU, which already has lots of problems and therefore won't have patience to deal with us nicely, that would suffice. I need to leave with a diploma while that diploma will be recognised.

Math nitpick which I posted earlier but got deleted I don't know why (math hate?).
If there is a noodles vs pasta election in which only some of the people vote, and the vote tally is 51.4% noodles, you cannot claim that 51.4% of the people prefer noodles.

Will your career prospects get hit if the Czech republic gets out of EU? Isn't there a shortage of doctors in Germany/France? There were a bunch of non-EU doctors in my Goethe Inst language classes
0 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:58 am

Gemuse wrote:Math nitpick which I posted earlier but got deleted I don't know why (math hate?).
If there is a noodles vs pasta election in which only some of the people vote, and the vote tally is 51.4% noodles, you cannot claim that 51.4% of the people prefer noodles.

Will your career prospects get hit if the Czech republic gets out of EU? Isn't there a shortage of doctors in Germany/France? There were a bunch of non-EU doctors in my Goethe Inst language classes

The math point is good, but still not enough :-D

Yes, my career prospects will be destroyed, if the country leaves the EU.

France, a freshly graduated doctor:
-from the EU: you have to get through that super competitive exam with the natives, and then you just choose from the places left for you, depending on your placement. Yes, people may grumble about foreigners, you need to learn a lot (because the french medical faculties are simply much better than majority of the rest), and you'll read something unpleasant about "foreign doctors being just so much inferior to the native ones" on lemonde every now and then, but that's it.
-outside the EU (this example was from Russia) : you have to pass the first hypercompetitive exam (the one medicine students in France pass after their first year, and during preparation for which a few students kill themselves every year. The last case was in Grenoble a few days ago),and if you pass, you repeat the last three years of medschool. Three more years of studies, without a job,without life, without a family.

There is a shortage of doctors in France, but they don't want to make more places for students in France and they don't trust foreigners. Don't look for logic, you'd waste time.

Also, you can arrive "normally" as an older doctor, having passed the exam several years after graduation (the rules of such an exam depend on the country), but that is exactly what I want to avoid. The system is so broken in the Czech Republic, that I'd rather moderately mutilate myself than be a junior doctor here, I am 100% serious. I cannot bear all the injustice and crap any more, no more years of financial dependence on my parents, and I want to have a normal family.

Germany is much better, much more welcoming, even though there are differences. I can get some job in Germany in any case, it just might not be a particularly good one in a nice city. But even that will be much more complicated, once we leave the EU. They are taking non-EU doctors, sure. But there are some conditions. If we stay in for long enough, it will be nice to have my degree taken just as seriously, as if it was issued by one of their better universities and not this czech trash.

I have fought a lot to get this degree. Last week, a few horrible and exhausting battles ended. But it is not over. I am exhausted and disgusted and still have so much before me. I simply want my reward after that. I want a compensation, I want my investment back, I finally want at least some of my dreams fulfilled. And this country offers me none of this.

Germany is a nice plan B. Till the elections, I was so naive not to consider it seriously. I was rather sure France was the top plan, and Germany could always be there in case of failure. I am not so sure about having the time to wait anymore.
3 x

Peluche
Orange Belt

Postby Peluche » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:32 am

Cavesa wrote:
Yes, my career prospects will be destroyed, if the country leaves the EU.

From what you said about Germany, I don't see how your career prospects will be destroyed with an EU exit.

Destroyed is a strong word.

Cavesa wrote:they don't trust foreigners

Hmmm.... :mrgreen:
1 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Cavesa » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:39 am

We'll see what happens. Life always has some more lemons prepared, to throw them from new and unexpected directions. :-D

A tiny addition to the eternal discussion about the language interference:
The combination of binge watching the Mentalist in Italian with one month subscription to the World of Warcraft in Spanish may not have been a good idea. Just saying. (But I had to use my birthday present already, as my boyfriend was asking about my impressions about the Legion all the time! Now I need to study much more.)

I'm considering the 6wc German, to get out of that mix :-D

It will be time for February plans, after failed January. But I am still a student, despite lots of things not being in favour of this outcome just a few weeks ago. At least something.
2 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Cavesa » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:01 pm

I am tragic language learning wise. Surgery rounds and other stuff have been taking a lot of energy. I get home so lazy it is unbelievable.

I've recently written a few emails in Italian concerning my family's holiday and managed a few calls (they went on a holiday, I was just translating from Prague)

Too little German learning. I don't know anything anymore.
2 x

AndyMeg
Blue Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2-C1), Japanese (A2-B1), Korean (Lower Intermediate?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 02#p201902

Postby AndyMeg » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:36 pm

¡Ánimo!

I wouldn't call that "lazy". It's normal to feel tired after a long day.

Rest when you need it and do low-energy language related activities (for example, listening to songs) until your energy levels get higher or you have more time. ;)
5 x
Beyond The Story 10 Year Record of BTS Korean version: 36 / 522

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Cavesa » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:24 am

Guys, I have to study for an exam. But I have accidentally found something awesome on the internet! For my Spanish. Too bad there is no German version now. (There is French though)
Or perhaps it is luck in disguise and Fate trying to let me finish my degree :-D
If there were more languages, my chances would lower even more.

I'll tell you later. Need to go to school. Starting at 7am is horrible. Those are the days, when I start seing some beauty even in the fields like microbiology, pathology, genetics. Those don't do these horrible things. Microbes don't care whether it's exactly 7 or 8 am. And people usually don't hurry to a "genetic emergency", due to acute pain on their telomeres. True, I am still not miserable enough to see any beauty in the field of hygiene and epidemiology :-D
2 x

Return to “Language logs”