Episode VI: A New Hope, Cavesa strikes back

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Re: Episode VI: A New Hope, Cavesa strikes back

Postby Cavesa » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:58 pm

Well, it might look weird, but I am more and more under the impression that the central europeans (called eastern europeans) are even less popular in the countries like the UK or France than people of african or arabic origin and looks sometimes. I think I've begun to understand it during my Erasmus and the patients' medical histories were an interesting piece of the puzzle. The older ones mentioning their parents dying in another country and under various circumstances, or just having lived there, the colonialism has clearly created strong bonds and not only in the ways we usually see discussed. But it was fascinating to observe this in various situations, I really think France is very different to many other european countries, including others with the colonial past. Btw I was going to church more regularly than in Prague and it was calming and welcoming to see a very mixed population there, the masses are populated mostly by older white women in the Czech Republic.

But back in France, some situations and comments from people gave me an impression as if the society was telling me "these are our arab cousins, and our african cousins, we have a lot in common, you are a completely foreign element we know little about".

I really hope the news like that one are just exceptions. I really want to visit London again, especially for the bookstores! I completely understand you must miss them, Elenia. That is the most interesting thing about London, I've already seen the monuments :-) I am a bit more worried about my plans to move abroad and having to face the problems of being a foreign immigrant (I am not sure whether the word "expat" is being used for other people than natives from the anglophone countires). I can't even imagine how hard it is for people of one of the most unpopular origins. But I don't doubt I'll face some of the challenges too. Also, it might be a bit harder to call out nationality based discrimination and prejudices, compared to the race based ones.

Yes, I also have a recent positive story including the metro, a book, and languages, to balance this out.

Last week, I was going home around 9pm, reading my book in Spanish. A group of five guys noticed me in the station. And they even came to say hi. I tried to excuse and get back to my book but we still had to get on together and they didn't let me read. They had had a few beers obviously, but were still ok and polite. And it went like "what are you reading and in what language? What a coincidence, our friend here has just returned from an 8 month long stay in Barcelona, we are celebrating his return. Would you join us for a dinner? You two should definitely chat in Spanish!" And we did. His Spanish was really good, better then mine (but I think my unexpected unprepared speaking was not too bad, but I need more practice) and with a very nice accent that might have even been native like or almost native like. He tried to convince me to join them, and not to care what my boyfriend would think, in Spanish :-D Of course I refused and I was glad they got out one station before me, as they were a little drunk and I would be worried outside, far from other people. But it ended well, they stayed within the limits and the conversation was fun, so we said goodbye politely and I returned to the book.

It was the first time a guy tried to impress me with his language skills and actually succeeded!
If I hadn't had a boyfriend, perhaps I would have given him my number :-D
14 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:29 am

Cavesa wrote:I am not sure whether the word "expat" is being used for other people than natives from the anglophone countires.

Primarily it isn't, but it should be!
1 x
Corrections appreciated.

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:32 am

Yeah, it definitely should.

Anki news: now it is one yes day for two no days :-( But I'll fix that.
I've been recently blocked b a task I've been procrastinating horribly and I need to finally do, to get back to more important stuff. It is not something horrible but I am in such a state that completing anything at all is really hard for me.

Good news: Kwiziq Spanish is no longer Beta and it seems to have C1 lessons now.
Still no German Kwiziq.

My language progress:mostly Duolingo, which I know is not much. But it is still better than nothing.

Encountered on the internet:

https://elpais.com/internacional/2018/0 ... 99614.html
A reaction to a very distasteful "funny" articles the Times have published about the spaniards. But it doesn't limit itself to criticism. The author, being a british immigrant and having lived in the country for 18 years, actually gives some pieces of advice and insight. I wholeheartedly recommend it. I liked the tip "Ten seguridad en ti mismo cuando hablas con los demás, pero siempre con educación." That is a good idea in general and very Spanish. Yes, it results in many people talking at once sometimes (which I was commenting on in my previous blogs) but it works very well in most situations and I believe every language learner should read this bit of advice at least three times :-)

https://www.britishcouncil.org/voices-m ... ost-brexit
There are voices concerned about the future after brexit. This is just one of the articles but I read a similar one and two pondering how to make students learn languages more. One of the very good arguments in the articles was the simple fact that the monolingual anglophones can have difficulties in business and international relations because of lack of knowledge of the culture and of easily happening misunderstandings. I couldn't agree more, perhaps the anglophones will finally start reflect on it more. Especially as the English used internationally is rather different from the one they are used to :-D

http://www.lemonde.fr/economie/article/ ... _3234.html
Sure sweetie, but how about removing the region blocks, removing the problems artificially putting the legal sites at a disadvantage compared to the outdated media (the article is interesting), removing some expensive links in the chain between the creators and the clients, and working on a generally positive change on the media market first or at least at the same time? Some time ago, I read a very interesting article pointing out one thing: the outdated copy industry did something they hadn't expected during their initial fight against the new technologies. The new generation has grown up with the habit of not paying but not only for the financial reasons. It was impossible to make teens feel guilty about not paying the obvious bad guys bringing no value. And later on, they are failing to give those new adults the more comfortable and easier ways to get their entertainment for money, as they are very well trained in the pirate ways and still have the comprehensible disgust towards the industry. Yes, a lot of work will be needed. And without this, la liste noire will only mean more traffic to sites in places like western samoa :-D

my late return fee for that Spanish novel is growing. It is the last book I am borrowing, I wasted money on that library card. I'm buying my books again from now on. :-( This is no way to save money. I need it to buy new cloths as I gained weight during the last six months.

I need some good news in my life. Make a German Kwiziq. Remove the region blocking withing the EU. Give me a tip on new great original series in French/Spanish/Italian. :-D
2 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Cavesa » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:30 am

I have a huge problem with procrastination. Really. I learn tons of interesting useless bits during times like this. But I need to focus instead.

Every attempt to get out of this horrible habit has failed. You know, I don't really want to do anything anymore. Half the energy is spent on actually trying to want to do something.

For example tonight, I could have done the task I've been avoiding and gone to sleep. Or I could have done the task, spent one hour on languages, with a book, or anything, and then gone to sleep.

I am really a failure it seems.
3 x

renaissancemedici
Orange Belt
Languages: Greek (N), English (C2), French (B2), Italian (A2), German (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 25#p100832

Postby renaissancemedici » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:00 am

You are not a failure, it's just the struggle some people have to face. I'm one of them. I have found that the only remedy is simply to ignore your momentary passion and do the right thing. At first it's annoying, then it becomes a habit. I know it's not much of wisdom, but it's the only thing that works for me. If I think about it too much, and focus on what I want, what I should do, am I wasting my time, who am I, all sorts of philosophical questions :lol: , well I'll never get anything done. Just do it, as the saying goes.

You can only beat a vice practicing its corresponding virtue, according to some people. Self evident, but tough.

On the other hand if you do give in, don't beat yourself up about it.

Having said that, German seems to be my nemesis so far, although lately I do have some objective obstacles unrelated to my procrastination. However this is a rare case in my usual let's-do-something-else-instead habits...
0 x
I use Assimil right now as a starting point, but at the same time I am building the foundation for further studies of German.

Assimil German with ease: 8 / 100

renaissancemedici
Orange Belt
Languages: Greek (N), English (C2), French (B2), Italian (A2), German (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 25#p100832

Postby renaissancemedici » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:23 am

Cavesa wrote:I really hope the news like that one are just exceptions. I really want to visit London again, especially for the bookstores! I completely understand you must miss them, Elenia. That is the most interesting thing about London, I've already seen the monuments :-) I am a bit more worried about my plans to move abroad and having to face the problems of being a foreign immigrant (I am not sure whether the word "expat" is being used for other people than natives from the anglophone countires). I can't even imagine how hard it is for people of one of the most unpopular origins. But I don't doubt I'll face some of the challenges too. Also, it might be a bit harder to call out nationality based discrimination and prejudices, compared to the race based ones.

I know what you are saying. My brother went through a tough time of unemployement so I said "why don't you try something abroad?" Abroad meaning another european country, us being european citizens and all. He said to me: are you crazy? I don't want to be a financial immigrant! I had never thought about it like that, but I guess he was right, because being a tourist is one thing, but when you go to work things somehow change.

Yes, the word expats brings to mind people dressed in white linen in cafes and monuments. Or Hemingway and his moving feast. I wouldn't use it either.

As for France, I really didn't see that brotherly love you mention. In fact my husband and I kept having the exact opposite conversation (from our limited time spent in Paris of course, we are not experts!).
0 x
I use Assimil right now as a starting point, but at the same time I am building the foundation for further studies of German.

Assimil German with ease: 8 / 100

Sarafina
Green Belt
Languages: English (N)
French (Intermediate )
Japanese (Beginner)
Yoruba (Advanced Comprehension)

Postby Sarafina » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:06 pm

I found this video. I thought I should share this with you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukLnPbIffxE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-zNHHpXoMM

He's in his final year of Cambridge studying Medicine and he talks about how to effectively study with Anki. I thought that you might find it useful to watch.
0 x

Ccaesar
Orange Belt
Languages: Danish (N) English (B2-C1) German (B1-B2) Italian(B1), Japanese (beginner)

Postby Ccaesar » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:00 pm

Dobrý den, Cavesa!(I hope this is correct :mrgreen: ) I apologise for my late reply, I have been a bit busy and for some reason got no notification of further entries here :D I will ask them in your common thread then. :) Viel Erfolg, and I get how anki can be a bit of a nut to get into, I like to believe that we are built to prefer what is easiest, but no neccesarily the most efficient :D Good luck with both language learning and the medicin studies, that is a very honourable thing to study for which I have the utmost respect. And don't worry about feeling a lack of energy it is natural for our bodies to remind us that we need off-time to reduce stress. :)
0 x
Hiragana practiced in hand : 48 / 48
Katakana practiced in hand : 48 / 48
Kanji : 50 / 2000
Assimil Japanese with Ease : 27 / 100

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Cavesa » Tue May 01, 2018 9:20 pm

Thanks for all the encouragement I've been getting!

From the last week or so:
Struggling with my studies horribly.
Struggling with my motivation a bit less: we are now in another hospital, where they treat us nicely and try to teach us something. That ends tomorrow, back to the normal after that.
I've watched three seasons of Shield in just a few weeks. That means I have to use it for my German learning, to not make it a complete waste of time. I love superheroes and Shield is likely to be very easy, due to the recurring themes. Actually, it is much less fun now than in the first season, but I think it will be appropriate.

I signed up for the Super Challenge! YAY!!!

I lost my German Duolingo streak and all my motivation for it with it. This is the problem of the streaks. It goes great and then one loss simply takes that away from the game. The good news: I am opening my normal coursebook again instead.

And it is sometimes fun to listen to the conversations of the foreigners in Prague. Italian is particularly common around me lately. Sometimes, it is just as boring as the regular conversation in Czech. Yeah, it is not polite, but we all do that :-D

renaissancemedici wrote:You are not a failure, it's just the struggle some people have to face. I'm one of them. I have found that the only remedy is simply to ignore your momentary passion and do the right thing. At first it's annoying, then it becomes a habit. I know it's not much of wisdom, but it's the only thing that works for me. If I think about it too much, and focus on what I want, what I should do, am I wasting my time, who am I, all sorts of philosophical questions :lol: , well I'll never get anything done. Just do it, as the saying goes.

You can only beat a vice practicing its corresponding virtue, according to some people. Self evident, but tough.

On the other hand if you do give in, don't beat yourself up about it.

Having said that, German seems to be my nemesis so far, although lately I do have some objective obstacles unrelated to my procrastination. However this is a rare case in my usual let's-do-something-else-instead habits...

Thanks for the good advice. The problem is the fact that there is no life, if I just do the right thing all the time. I am hypertired of that. I wonder, does that habit ever become less annoying? :-D

renaissancemedici wrote:I know what you are saying. My brother went through a tough time of unemployement so I said "why don't you try something abroad?" Abroad meaning another european country, us being european citizens and all. He said to me: are you crazy? I don't want to be a financial immigrant! I had never thought about it like that, but I guess he was right, because being a tourist is one thing, but when you go to work things somehow change.

Yes, the word expats brings to mind people dressed in white linen in cafes and monuments. Or Hemingway and his moving feast. I wouldn't use it either.

As for France, I really didn't see that brotherly love you mention. In fact my husband and I kept having the exact opposite conversation (from our limited time spent in Paris of course, we are not experts!).

There are two kinds of economical migrants and both are as old as the human kind. And this term gets damaged a lot lately. One are the people going to places, where they can abuse the good hearts and system. The other are people working abroad. People actually moving elsewhere for better opportunities (money, knowledge, experience, and so on) are one of the bases of our civilisation. And nope, I am not gonna people in my country make me feel guilty about this. It is not just the money. And even when it is, it is ok and natural.

I didn't mean brotherly love exactly. But more of a relationship like the cousins who used to play together and fight against each other as kids and now know what to expect and how to treat each other. They may not like to spend a lot of time now and organise family gatherings, but they still prefer family to absolute strangers. That was the impression.

Morgana wrote:It happens. It's not a reflection of your worth as a person. It doesn't mean you are destined to continue on this way forever. I haven't quite earned my degree in armchair psychology, but my gut, and personal experience, tell me there's usually something going on that leads to the procrastination. It's a coping mechanism when dealing with stress.

From here:
You see, procrastinators tend to be people who have, for whatever reason, developed to perceive an unusually strong association between their performance and their value as a person. This makes failure or criticism disproportionately painful, which leads naturally to hesitancy when it comes to the prospect of doing anything that reflects their ability — which is pretty much everything.

... Procrastination gives a person a temporary hit of relief from this pressure of “having to do” things, which is a self-rewarding behavior. So it continues and becomes the normal way to respond to these pressures.

Particularly prone to serious procrastination problems are children who grew up with unusually high expectations placed on them. Their older siblings may have been high achievers, leaving big shoes to fill, or their parents may have had neurotic and inhuman expectations of their own, or else they exhibited exceptional talents early on, and thereafter “average” performances were met with concern and suspicion from parents and teachers.

Anyway, the blog post is rather long, but if you text search for part of the above paragraphs, that's where it gets relevant. It's rather relatable. I hope it helps you reframe the issue in such a way that better enables you to tackle the problem ;)

Thanks! I've been working on this issue but I still fight. Some parts of this are really true. :-D :-D :-D

Sarafina wrote:I found this video. I thought I should share this with you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukLnPbIffxE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-zNHHpXoMM

He's in his final year of Cambridge studying Medicine and he talks about how to effectively study with Anki. I thought that you might find it useful to watch.

Thanks! This is certainly useful. Too bad I didn't discover stuff like this ages ago. However, highlighting is very useful, I disagree there, even though for different purposes. It helps me sort the information. And it helps me not to fall asleep :-D

A problem is the absolute lack of stuff like this in the Czech Republic. The methodology is not being discussed and explored at all. The teachers often don't know (and don't care) how to teach. The students need to figure the learning methods on their own. Sure, they have to deal with it somehow, in order to get through the school. A curious problem: I am a bad student by the standards here. But from my observation, I am not that much worse than the awesome students in the end. Too many of them excel at the moment of the exam but then they just let it rot and are the same or worse than me. So what is it good for? Rereading is the main study method. Rewriting or reorganising is a complement. But I haven't even heard of a single student using Anki, I haven't read it in a single student's blog or on any forum.

So, there are no ready made Anki decks. I envy the americans with tons of study decks and well tested methods shared just on reddit. The french are a bit behind the anglophones in this. But the czechs are not even on the start. So, I am too late and on my own.

Ccaesar wrote:Dobrý den, Cavesa!(I hope this is correct :mrgreen: ) I apologise for my late reply, I have been a bit busy and for some reason got no notification of further entries here :D I will ask them in your common thread then. :) Viel Erfolg, and I get how anki can be a bit of a nut to get into, I like to believe that we are built to prefer what is easiest, but no neccesarily the most efficient :D Good luck with both language learning and the medicin studies, that is a very honourable thing to study for which I have the utmost respect. And don't worry about feeling a lack of energy it is natural for our bodies to remind us that we need off-time to reduce stress. :)

Dobrý den :-)
thank you!
5 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Wed May 02, 2018 4:28 pm

I have never understood the idea of readymade anki decks. A lot of the learning takes places when you look at a word or expression and decides that it is worth remembering. If you want something readymade then a dictionary should be just the thing - and you can even get it on paper. I have not tried to convert a digital dictionary into something that can be imported into anki, but it should be possible. I just can't see the purpose.

With Danish as my native language I think we are in the same boat when it comes to language books and courseware in our native languages, but I have never really seen this as a problem- I just use those in English or German or French or whatever. And then I'm just extra happy when I once in a while find something extraordinarily good written in/based on Danish, like Bick's Danish-Esperanto dictionary, Rolf Hesses' dictionaries from Greek to Danish and back again or Carl Bratli's monumental Spanish-Danish dictionary with some 300.000 headwords. The Anglophones don't have better resources than those.
3 x

Return to “Language logs”