Episode VI: A New Hope, Cavesa strikes back

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Re: Episode VI: A New Hope, Cavesa strikes back

Postby Cavesa » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:28 pm

FrannieB wrote:Well I have the anki app on my phone -
I am struggling to figure out exactly the type of cards to create or how to incorporate Anki. Do I do words? sentence translations? I found a great blog and was inspired with his use of Anki
http://brianjx.altervista.org/#_Toc415599054

I like the idea of an Anki check-in

I love that blog, thanks for reminding me of it! I've already drawn inspiration from it once or twice years ago. I admire the author. One of the most important lessons to take from it: anki everything (This reminds me of the Try everything song by Shakira in Zootopia. Yes, the two sylable word Anki can fit instead of the Try. We could invent whole new language learning lyrics to it). I need to improve my ability to stick to anki.

The Anki check-in would be awesome. Do you think it would be better in two or we should try to find one or two more?
The rules would be really hypersimple. The most difficult part is showing up :-D. Turning anki on. After that, it goes better from my experience. So, what do you think?
0 x

FrannieB
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N) Spanish (intermediate)
Next: Italian or French

Postby FrannieB » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:52 pm

yup - it is all about showing up - I'm all for super simple rules.

Anki does work - i did it for 30 days once and have never forgotten some of the words - caja, rel̹ámpago, orrilla del mar, somewhat random words I learned using ANKI.
1 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:53 pm

I'm all for it! Shall we start right after Easter, when all the family and similar factors stop interfering?

We had awesome +6 degrees today! I hope this will only improve from now on, taking away half my health problems. Yay!!!

Today was a really horrible day healthwise, but the good news:it is getting better. I need to make up for this, I was unable to study or do anything at all.

I've got tons of very useful advice about Anki and am implementing it step by step, just I couldn't do anything today and I'll go to sleep early, so that everything is fixed in the morning.

I also had a small interpreting job yesterday.
3 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Cavesa » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:37 pm

Yesterday, I went through 65 cards on Memrise, now I am doing another unit, which has over 70. I think the strategy "If there is a good Memrise deck, learn it there and then download it to Anki" might be a good one. I found a wordlist based on one of my textbooks, so I am using it now.

My medicine deck (the one I am making myself) has only 30 cards now, but I'll add some tonight.

Frannie and I are going to do the daily check in for Anki (confirmed in her log). I hope I'll also get throught the 30 day phase of building a habit, like she has already gotten, and we'll keep going till our learning goals are met. Or till the end of the world, whichever comes first. :-D
If a third person wants to join, now is the time to say so.
1 x

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:57 pm

I would consider joining, but did you decide if your are starting after Easter or not? Easter for me is April 8 and my life is crazy until that Monday night after.
Although I guess if the challenge is just literally opening Anki.. I could probably manage
1 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Cavesa » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:06 pm

Ani wrote:I would consider joining, but did you decide if your are starting after Easter or not? Easter for me is April 8 and my life is crazy until that Monday night after.
Although I guess if the challenge is just literally opening Anki.. I could probably manage

After Easter is April 3 for me. But a few days of difference wouldn't matter much. So, it is up to Frannie.
I think three participants would be the ideal number. Two sound like too few. And too many would not be suitable for the idea, I think.

It is just about showing up, and starting the study session with at least a few cards. It goes much easier after that, from my experience, starting the study session is the hardest part.
1 x

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Postby Xenops » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:35 pm

If you are willing to consider a fourth member, I would be willing. :) I need to be consistent with Anki myself.
0 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Cavesa » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:05 pm

It is up to Frannie. I think up to four dedicated people could work. But I definitely wouldn't want to turn this into an open TAC like chaos that people give up on soon.

I've finished lesson 2 and 3 in the Memrise course on vocab from Němčina nejen pro samouky. It looks like my next course of action has been decided.
1 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Cavesa » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:05 pm

Today is quite a rich day, as far as language learning is concerned.

I am now doing Kwiziq, as the end of the month is near and I need to use up my 10 free tests.
In French, it is teaching something I can't remember having been taught much. I've been using it sometimes thanks to lots of exposure, but it is nothing crutial. One of the examples of what Kwiziq is showing me is ne expletif. But there are other things too. It is harder to use my free Spanish tests, as Kwiziq doesn't suggest me any lessons and I don't know which ones have been updated since I completed them the first time.

Also, the kwiziq blog includes some writing suggestions. I liked "How to prepare a zombie apocalypse" before I realized it was "How to prepare FOR a zombie apocalypse". Still fun, I know. But the one I thought I saw had a nice twist to it, describing the preparation from the point of view of the bad guy. I should use this prompt and write something. But not today, I have lots to do.

On top of Memrising some German vocabulary (and looking forward to downloading finished decks to Anki), I am doing tiny bits of Duolingo. It is not too fun but better than nothing. Who knows, perhaps I'll finish the tree one day.
3 x

FrannieB
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N) Spanish (intermediate)
Next: Italian or French

Postby FrannieB » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:50 pm

okay so checking in -
Whenever we want to start the check=in is great - I like the idea of a small group because I feel more accountable.

I am on a short spring break right now. I ditched my old list and spent way to much time thinking about ANKI today.
A. I Reread the blog post
B. I have generated a hand written list of over 200 new cards
C. Need to now create new cards
D. Made the decision the tortoise wins the race and will do 7 new cards a day - not quite 5 but not 10 - 10 new cards a day adds up. I feel like I can do more then 5 - So 7 felt like a great number. In building the habit I have to make it so easy that it is doable. 7 words a day is 200 words a month - in 3 months that is 600 words/phrases
E. Over thought ANKI like I do everything
2 x

Return to “Language logs”