Episode VI: A New Hope, Cavesa strikes back

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: Episode VI: A New Hope, Cavesa strikes back

Postby rdearman » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:00 am

You can just edit the CSS to change background colours and fonts etc.

https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/1215991469
1 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:42 am

rdearman wrote:You can just edit the CSS to change background colours and fonts etc.

For me, CSS is just one of the swearwords an IT teacher used to say in between his two favourite activities: showing us how stupid we were and drinking milk from the box. So, I definitely have a gap in my education here and will use an addon this time. But I should learn this stuff at some point.

But thanks for the recommendation! I'll have to learn to do this, if I still hate ankiing after switching to the night mode.

Btw, I am getting better at chopping cards into smaller pieces. Some cards are still impossible to chop though for logical reasons though. I would make sense of the small pieces now, when there are 20 cards in the deck, but definitely not in half a year, when there are hundreds or hopefully thousands.
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:04 pm

Cavesa wrote:
rdearman wrote:You can just edit the CSS to change background colours and fonts etc.

For me, CSS is just one of the swearwords an IT teacher used to say in between his two favourite activities: showing us how stupid we were and drinking milk from the box. So, I definitely have a gap in my education here and will use an addon this time. But I should learn this stuff at some point.

But thanks for the recommendation! I'll have to learn to do this, if I still hate ankiing after switching to the night mode.

Btw, I am getting better at chopping cards into smaller pieces. Some cards are still impossible to chop though for logical reasons though. I would make sense of the small pieces now, when there are 20 cards in the deck, but definitely not in half a year, when there are hundreds or hopefully thousands.

Code: Select all

.card, table {
  font-family: Helvetica, sans-serif, junicode;
  font-size: 28px;
  text-align: center;
  color: #FFD700;
  background-color: #0026FF;
}

If you put the above in the "styling" section of your cards you'll get yellow text on a blue background.
3 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:43 pm

I am slowly developing my anki decks. It takes time. But I am improving. I am trying the night mode for now and I love it. But I think I'll need change in a few months, so I'll need to learn to change the colours anyways, so thanks for a step by step guide, rdearman :-) . I am getting better at chopping information into ankiable pieces.

Apart from that:
I have found someone to study with for the French medical exam. We've met once so far and have made plans for the next two weeks, after discussing the exam and ways to prepare. I think it might work fine. It is also nice to have an opportunity to talk purely in French with someone. And he speaks better than me of course, it seems to be one of his native languages, which is great! Of course I made a few stupid mistakes while talking, those mistakes you hear and immediately regret, but it was due to having to think about what I was saying and how to say it, and I mean the social and content aspect, not the language one. I am also using French for studying in general, which is great.

I've watched a few more episodes of the Mentalist. I've got just a few episodes left.

I am really unable to switch to Spanish after a bit of Italian immersion. That will change, when I finish the Mentalist :-)

Other than that, I am fighting burn out any way I can. It is hard to put energy into studying or learning anything at all. But there have been a few positive opportunities, so I am trying to profit from those.
7 x

FrannieB
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N) Spanish (intermediate)
Next: Italian or French

Postby FrannieB » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:02 pm

Was just catching up on post reading

I don't think any of us ever figure out how to learn. Well at least not me. It is so dynamic and once I get a system down, often as I progress, I need to change the system to keep up with my changing needs. What worked 4 months ago may not work today.
4 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Cavesa » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:29 pm

This is awesome! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKgMuXOTgJE

I am so looking forward to getting my flute back from the repairshop and starting to play regularly again. I had to take a break for several years because of a wrist condition. Well, my wrists are better now, so I'll try again. I've missed it. It is gonna be a challenge, it is frustrating not to be able to play the beautiful and quite difficult pieces anymore, it will require a humble approach. I think my new experience with singing (which I am continuing with) will enrich my playing too. It is also possible it will hurt again and I'll have to consider quitting for good. I hope I won't have to.

And why am I mentioning this? The video in this link is the absolutely best explanation of the double tonguing ever! I might finally be able to learn it and it looks like this Spanish speaking teacher's videos are gonna be a great resource for me!

You never know where is your new language gonna lead you, what opportunities it is gonna open. This video has English subtitles, but it is not the same thing, especially as we are talking about music, pronunciation, face and throat. Music has a bit different terminology in each language and for a good reason. There are various traditions and ways to explain things. There are also different views of what the basics are, what is the "everyone and their cat has played this" repertoire. :-)

Anyone knows good music forums in my target languages, please? I've found a few great English ones but there must be others too.

It is so hard to have so little time and so many things I desire to do!
2 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:16 pm

Cavesa wrote:Anyone knows good music forums in my target languages, please? I've found a few great English ones but there must be others too.

Yesterday I stumbled on a Spanish blog for Irish music, The Irish Flow. Not really a forum, and maybe not what you're after, but it does have a section for the flute. (Should you by any chance want recommendations for this kind of music, just give me a shout.)
1 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:45 am

Prague music mystery.

I was watching a booktuber's holiday video earlier. When visiting Prague, there was a public music event in/in front of the cathedral. There's a 'name that tune' request in the video (14m19s into video), but no answers yet (its a 2016 video), I thought you might know! :-)
0 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Cavesa » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:26 pm

I have no clue what that song is! Sorry. But it is intriguing
Too bad the logo or name of that band before the cathedral isn't visible in the video.

Jeff, thanks for the tip! Irish music is not my main focus, but I've always wanted to learn a bit more about it. I am so looking forward to having my flute back from the repairshop!

About languages:

Still reading that Spanish book, still loving it. I am not using it for that anki deck on sentences now. I don't have the time for it.

The French medical textbooks are so much better than the Czech ones in general! But I am still really lazy.

I could do with an Anki buddy. Anyone else struggling with it? Something like a friendly competition or running this marathon together might help.
0 x

FrannieB
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N) Spanish (intermediate)
Next: Italian or French

Postby FrannieB » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:50 pm

Well I have the anki app on my phone -
I am struggling to figure out exactly the type of cards to create or how to incorporate Anki. Do I do words? sentence translations? I found a great blog and was inspired with his use of Anki
http://brianjx.altervista.org/#_Toc415599054

I like the idea of an Anki check-in
0 x

Return to “Language logs”