Episode VI: A New Hope, Cavesa strikes back

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Re: Episode VI: A New Hope, Cavesa strikes back

Postby Cavesa » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:22 pm

Thanks, Tiia, I'll have a look at it. I find the German and French books for schoolkids or highschoolers to be of good quality with various exceptional pieces and attitudes being hidden in the shelves (I cannot resist opening various things in foreign bookstores. )

About my learning: I spent two more days at my parents' than I had expected, which means I couldn't finish the unit of Método 3, because I didn't have the workbook with me.

I am excited about this book series and hope a disappointment won't follow. It looks modern with those tons of photos and stuff, the publisher didn't want to risk the book looking unattractive, but they didn't overdo it. It is still well balanced, there are tons of content! I really think the Spanish teaching industry has been working on improvements intensively, while the French one has been sleeping, too sure of their supposed superiority.

Every unit starts with a list "Necesitamos aprender" and "Para", to give the student an idea of what is going on. The pictures and photos are quite nice and illustrative, not just place fillers (at least vast majority of them). The unit is divided in sections with various names (contextos, observa, practica,....) but that is not that important for the learner. The important thing is each exercise having several parts. You start from observation, reading, or listening, and progress through two or three tasks, usually resulting in some writing or speaking prompts. This is something I need. Writing prompts, based on some leads to follow (the general "write something about your city" kind of tasks are horrible, just like "tell me something about yourself" or "say something in Italian" questions by random people :-D ).

Those exercises allow me to practice and also leave my comfort space a bit. There are Gramática y léxico overviews, which are not bad, even though they seem not to include all the points covered in the unit (so my own overview in the notebook required going through it all again. that is a good thing. But just reviewing from the book after a longer time would be harder due to this). But I suppose the workbook contains majority of the related exercises on the grammar and vocabulary, so it is too early to judge. When it comes to comprehension, the book is too easy for me, but there may still be some bits to draw from it, mostly to turn them from passive to active skill.

The first unit is a review of the past tenses, which is very useful to me. I need to reinforce this, even though I am less horrible than I had feared. I've already written over 200 words, and I have not even answered all the questions. An example story amused me, it was a fable I hadn't heard before. There are other kinds of exercises, like filling the gaps, which precede the more creative ones, which is a good thing. However, I still believe adding translation exercises from a different source will be extremely beneficial to me.

edit:an ugly mistake
Last edited by Cavesa on Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
2 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:37 am

1 unit of a German coursebook (Německy s úsměvem) DONE
1 unit of a Spanish coursebook (Método 3) only one half, I'll do better this week
0,5 unit of an Italian coursebook (Učebnice současné italštiny 1) nope
2 double pages of a grammar book (Gramatica de Uso B) nope
3 Spanish verbs on Memrise DONE

on top of that, I did a lot of Clozemaster (a thousand or two sentence reviews)
and I wrote over 200 words in Spanish

This week is better.

A problem: is it perfectionism? I seem to be blocked in German. Like "I don't know this perfectly, I cannot continue". Which is nonsense, I won't improve without going on. But it is still something I struggle with.
6 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:05 am

I find if there is something I don’t get even after going over the chapter again and perhaps checking another source, I’m probably just not going to get it unless I move on. After moving on, it eventually falls into place. Why not just mark the place in your book that you are struggling with, so you can look at it again later, and then move on? That way you can easily look at it again after you’ve done a couple more chapters. You’ll probably find it makes more sense later.
5 x

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Postby Xenops » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:00 pm

Cavesa!!! I'm so excited--I found a website that has videos and transcripts for medical and anatomy courses in English and German! The free version is quite extensive.

https://www.kenhub.com/

I emailed them asking for a French version. ;)
5 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Cavesa » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:23 pm

I didn't complete any goals this week. I did parts of these things, but didn't finish anything.
There are various reasons, objective (work) and subjective (fatigue, laziness).
I did some SRS, some Clozemaster, I opened the coursebooks for a while. And I watched 13 episodes of the Mentalist in Italian, when I was too tired to do other stuff. A funny note: I watched a few episodes in English with my boyfriend. And as I was used to the Italian version, it was actually harder to follow in English :-D

I think the weekly goals need dumbing down. I am simply not as good as Yuurei. Three weeks showed me what is and what is not possible for me.
Now that I think of it, perhaps I could improve the system a bit, to give me both consistence, and some more wiggle room.

Basically, my logs are a long-term experiment with my low studying skills. :-D

From now on, I want to collect at least 10 points weekly, from these activities:
a unit of my German coursebook Německy s úsměvem: 5 points.
a unit of the Spanish coursebook Método 3: 3 points
a doublepage in GdUdE: 1 point
one Spanish verb on Memrise: 1 point
two pages of my German grammarbook by Hueber: 1 point

I really simplified this. The points reflect how hard these tasks are. Or rather, how hard it is to gather the courage and do them. This is an immediate idea that simply occurred to me approximately 1 minute ago, so why not. I cannot fail harder than I have been.

For my extensive listening count, I should add 13x45 minutes of Italian.
5 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:52 am

I like your point system. It could be good for those of us who tend to binge on things. Or it could be bad since it wouldn’t force me to do more than one thing. But I feel like I need to do at least some bingeing. Maybe I could do a modified point system where I have to collect the points from a minimum number of different activities. It would allow some bingeing, but also require me to do a few different things and not just spend the whole week on one activity.

I haven’t been getting much done so far this year either. I seem to have some kind of persistent virus that keeps coming back. I feel better for two or three days and think it’s gone, but then it’s back again.
0 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:03 am

I also like the point system! I'm wondering if I should include one, and what I get as a reward if I do (I won't care if I don't allow myself a reward!)

I think you've hit the nail on the head with simplifying things. I make my goals the low hanging fruit, things that I know I can do easily and that will fit with my available time, but which I am liable to put off. I don't make daily goals because missing one feels like the whole goal is ruined, which ruins the week so why should I even bother... dangerous thinking. Last weeks goal was so ridiculously easy that I've found myself doing more just because it was embarrassingly little. Worked well this time, but next week I'll give myself a bit more to do.

We'll all get there in the end.
2 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Cavesa » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:50 pm

A practical tip: Don't assume your fellow patients in the waiting room can't understand you, just because your accompanying person and you are speaking Spanish (or another very common language). I was a bit worried how far would that couple go in some of the subjects :-D
Waiting rooms are horrible.
6 x

Yuurei
Green Belt
Languages: German (N), English, French, Japanese, Spanish, Latin, Italian
Studying: Japanese, Chinese, Korean
Maintaining: French, Spanish
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1721

Postby Yuurei » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:43 am

Ooh, I like your point system! I look forward to reading about your highscores. :lol:
1 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:33 am

I've just realised what the perfect reward for getting enough Yuurei points should be: Cookies!! What could be more fitting? :lol:
5 x

Return to “Language logs”