Episode VI: A New Hope, Cavesa strikes back

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Re: Episode VI: A New Hope, Cavesa strikes back

Postby Ani » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:14 pm

Cavesa wrote:Any other ideas for a less eye torturing learning diet?

I tend to be really prone to eye strain.. I don't know if it is the same for everyone but I found that controlling my visual simulation for the first 1-2 hours in the morning is the most important. Starting the day with audio books and getting a little real sunlight before screens and books pays dividends. Also keeping some degree of blue light filtering on your devices 24/7 with a program like flux or twilight helps in the longer term too.
2 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:09 pm

Librivox is a great idea, thanks rdearman! I'll look for something fun. A bit of adventure and action and a happy ending.

Ani, that's all very good advice. I cannot choose how to spend my mornings this week but I can the next one. And I simply cannot avoid studying now, I wish I could. I have the blue filter directly on my glasses and it is an awesome thing. I think I would have had this problem much earlier, if it wasn't for this invention. How do you control your first hour or two of visual stimulation?

I am now using a strong lamp that simulates the daylight and in general adds more light to my room, because my windows are faced to the north and slightly in the shade of higher buildings on the other side of the road. I always feel I'm not getting enough light, I really hate this about winters. I wonder whether this overall awesome change (awesome for waking up, for my mood, and energy) is better or worse for my eyes. What do you think? Am I putting them under more strain by the light or less, as it is easier to read and look at stuff?
0 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:20 pm

I hesitated suggesting audiobooks because that's kinda a "duh" idea... (sorry, rdearman). You could also try using the "night mode" setting on your browser.
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:54 pm

reineke wrote:I hesitated suggesting audiobooks because that's kinda a "duh" idea... (sorry, rdearman). You could also try using the "night mode" setting on your browser.

She could also look here https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 19&t=2900/ for some podcasts in the appropriate languages. :ugeek: Just call me Captain Obvious!
2 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:25 pm

I hope you keep sharing. I wouldn't use librivox for Russian, French, German or Italian audiobooks ...

"Some of the Librivox recordings are unintentionally hilarious."
1 x

tiia
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (?), Finnish (C1), Spanish (B2??), Swedish (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=2374

Postby tiia » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:57 pm

Yeah suggesting audiobooks (or even audio plays?) may be a bit obvious... But I really enjoyed the Harry Potter audiobooks in Finnish during my thesis, because my eyes just told me, that they need to relax. I really didn't like spending even more time in front of any screen or reading anything, because that was more or less what I was doing all day.

Btw. I found the audiobooks on youtube, those were professional recordings. (They don't stay online too long each time, because of copyright stuff, but still - one can find them.)
2 x
Corrections for entries written in Finnish, Spanish or Swedish are welcome.
Project 30+X: 25 / 30

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:52 am

Sometimes I just need a Captain Obvious :-D

It reminds me of a Czech idiom: mít dlouhé vedení. To have a long wiring. It is about someone who needs more time before a thought clicks.

I can't resist, I must translate you a joke for you, based on these Olympic Games. There are many variations now. I am curious whether I'll need to explain it:
"Hi girls, what's going on here?"
"The Wimbledon"
"Cool, can I play with you?"
"No, you can't, Ester."
1 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Cavesa » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:42 pm

No language learning planned from now till the Nightmare Exam on the 7th of March. A few relaxing bits are possible in between studying for this one (to get my degree, I need two more normal, three very hard, and two nightmarish exams), but that will be all.

I am so glad for all the options to strain my eyes less from now on. Thanks for it. I would like this stupid "eye ache" to go away and never to return and I understand I'll have to do some changes for that.

I wondered about adding this battle against the Surgery exam to my learning log here. It is learning. It feels like learning Klingon sometimes. I am learning from resources in more than one language, even though Czech prevails this time. If this makes me put in those tons of hours needed, it is worth a shot. And it is a better way for medicine to invade this log than the usual rants. And Iguanamon and Rdearman have been reigniting the old passion for challenges recently. And turning this torture into a kind of a game might work.

As far as language activities go, I have been watching Mentalist (I need to cut down on that seriously) and I have a few French Kwiziq tests left. I will use them up and I am even considering buying one month later (when I don't have exams), as I haven't been systematically revieweing grammar for some time.

I tried the Czech Duolingo out of curiosity and it looks very good, much better than many other Duolingo courses, so I can recommend it as part of the Free challenge.

My rules from now till the 6th:
-cutting down on extensive fun (tv series, games, books), an equivalent of one episode per day is allowed at most, and only if I am doing well
-language learning activities:Kwiziq. There are only a few tests left and I need to use them up till the end of February. They won't take much time.
-the preferred relax activity: music. Listening, singing. It helps reduce stress a lot.
-no idle googling, foruming,facebooking. News allowed for at most 10 minutes (I want to know the Olympics results)
-the goal is to put in all the time I have available.
-I will go to sleep every day. (No, this is unfortunately not obvious.) Following my natural rhytm, I will study till the night and wake up around 9 or 9:30. No time to sleep till the midday, but it simply adds no value to get up early. The early bird usually takes the worm. I, trying to be the early bird, am dully looking in the ground, not noticing anything smaller than an anaconda anyways. I'll just allow myself be the owl within reason.
-the usual study methods are gonna be used. Reading, highlighting, making notes, talking to myself, talking to my plants or my boyfriend (the plants don't fall asleep so easily during my monologues. And he needs to study for his exams now). Talking to my imaginary friends (I use them just for studying! These are physiological! I simply need to explain stuff to someone or something). I will try to make audios for myself, to replay and therefore try to reduce a bit the eye strain. But the eyes will still suffer. This recording is a new thing, I'll give it up, if it is not good.
-where to study: at home or in a study room, there are several good ones in Prague.

THE CHALLENGE: How many hours am I able to put in? This is something like a practice round. I will have to put in incredible amounts of time to succeed at that French exam I have been telling you about for ages. in 2019. This one horrible exam (One of the examinators is something like Lord Voldemort combined with Darth Sidius.) is a small scale sample. It is absurd I am doing this challenge so late (and so old :-D ). Better late than never.

I want to find out my limits this time. How to work really hard and not to destroy myself. Right now, I am probably the healthiest I have ever been since the beginning of my studies!!! Despite the transitory eye problem. So, it is time to calibrate the scale I am comparing my study efforts to.

I am always hearing of other students putting in much more time then I am. I can afford it in some cases, but not this time. So, I want to know whether I can be just as good as they are.

The part of the outcome which is the most related to language learning: I expect the results of this experiment to help me plan my future studies much better. To make more realistic time plans. I expect to know more about my efficiency, resilience, and so on. As a side effect, I need to pass that damn exam. :-D

Any words or support will be welcome, my friends. And prayers. My studies are a series of miracles actually.

And here is the fun part: would you like to guess how much time I'll be able to invest in this? :-D
I'll make a poll.
6 x

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Postby Xenops » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:22 pm

Cavesa wrote:-I will go to sleep every day. (No, this is unfortunately not obvious.) Following my natural rhytm, I will study till the night and wake up around 9 or 9:30. No time to sleep till the midday, but it simply adds no value to get up early. The early bird usually takes the worm. I, trying to be the early bird, am dully looking in the ground, not noticing anything smaller than an anaconda anyways. I'll just allow myself be the owl within reason.

Yes, but it's the early worm that gets eaten. Why does nobody think of the worm?

More seriously, even though I don't like meds, I have found the meds that help me with my insomnia to be a life-saver. Generally I will sleep four hours a night unless I'm absolutely worn out.

-the usual study methods are gonna be used. Reading, highlighting, making notes, talking to myself, talking to my plants or my boyfriend (the plants don't fall asleep so easily during my monologues. And he needs to study for his exams now). Talking to my imaginary friends (I use them just for studying! These are physiological! I simply need to explain stuff to someone or something). I will try to make audios for myself, to replay and therefore try to reduce a bit the eye strain. But the eyes will still suffer. This recording is a new thing, I'll give it up, if it is not good.

I draw my imaginary friends on paper, and call their exploits comics. ;)

I like the recording idea. I know students will record lectures and listen to them after class. I tend to absorb boring listening material better when I'm doing something with my hands (chores, drawing, etc).

You can do it, Cavesa! I'll send prayers on your behalf.
2 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)
*Averaged for high receptive skill
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7332

Postby Systematiker » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:54 pm

You seem poised to do well.

Praying for you.
2 x

Return to “Language logs”