Episode VI: A New Hope, Cavesa strikes back

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Re: Episode VI: A New Hope, Cavesa strikes back

Postby Ani » Wed May 02, 2018 6:55 pm

Cavesa wrote:Thanks for the good advice. The problem is the fact that there is no life, if I just do the right thing all the time. I am hypertired of that. I wonder, does that habit ever become less annoying? :-D

This is a defeating attitude. This is the sum of your medicine studies problems right here. "If I do the right thing, there is no life", so it's no wonder the you're struggling and procrastinating -- you're literally fighting against yourself. Girl, you need some Tony Robbins in your life.

You might also need some Cal Newport for study techniques and general motivation to mastery.. I think it is the common college experience, having teachers who don't teach. It's very normal to have one or two great professors and be on your own with a text book for the rest of it. I needed to teach myself for my math degree. I had two good professors who actually taught, maybe three, but that made up a total of 5 semester courses out of.. 32ish. And those were earlier days of the internet so there just wasn't as much available.
7 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Mon May 07, 2018 3:28 pm

I haven't revived my twitter yet, so I'll be adding my SC stuff here for now:
French: movie: Captain America:Civil War dubbed, 2hours20min

Still reading my Spanish book and I have to speed up, the late return fee is growing.

Anki:medicine decks are growing again, a Spanish deck is growing again today.

Iversen wrote:I have never understood the idea of readymade anki decks. A lot of the learning takes places when you look at a word or expression and decides that it is worth remembering. If you want something readymade then a dictionary should be just the thing - and you can even get it on paper. I have not tried to convert a digital dictionary into something that can be imported into anki, but it should be possible. I just can't see the purpose.

With Danish as my native language I think we are in the same boat when it comes to language books and courseware in our native languages, but I have never really seen this as a problem- I just use those in English or German or French or whatever. And then I'm just extra happy when I once in a while find something extraordinarily good written in/based on Danish, like Bick's Danish-Esperanto dictionary, Rolf Hesses' dictionaries from Greek to Danish and back again or Carl Bratli's monumental Spanish-Danish dictionary with some 300.000 headwords. The Anglophones don't have better resources than those.

The ready made decks save tons of time because I am not convinced the card creation gives me that much more than just card review and recall. And both when it comes to my medicine decks and th language ones, everything is needed, so there is little decision making involved :-D However, it seems that card rebuilding is helpful. Basically either creating or getting ready made cards and then editing them, to reflect what I struggle with.

A dictionary turned into anki would be great but a paper one would take hundreds of hours to turn into it, that is the problem. The purpose: I am used to having huge vocabulary in my native language and not that bad vocabulary in English. And I feel extremely limited everywhere else and there is no better source than just taking the dictionary, filtering it a bit, and learning it. I have huge passive vocabulary in French and at least large in Spanish and Italian. And I don't have the same freedom with words while speaking or writing. Sure, I speak French really well. And as we had discussed recently, the natives don't like foreigners joking in the language anyways :-D But any other way of aking word lists (such as writing them down from books etc.) has proved to be too slow and inefficient and chaotic.

I don't mind not having coursebooks based in Czech particularily, even though they are sometimes great to have (those of exceptional quality). I just seem to struggle in general with finding some kinds of resources. When I was talking about the complete lack of certain kinds of resources in Czech, I was talking more about resources on how to study, how to learn. There are tons of websites and forums for the american or french medicine students, and this gets discussed. Somehow, the czech students don't talk about this. And the teachers don't care much either. When it comes to languages, I think we all know we are going against the current. In the Czech Republic even more, because a monolingual Czech native learning their first foreign language has absolutely no chance to find high quality info about language learning, especially independent from the language schools.

Ani wrote:
Cavesa wrote:Thanks for the good advice. The problem is the fact that there is no life, if I just do the right thing all the time. I am hypertired of that. I wonder, does that habit ever become less annoying? :-D

This is a defeating attitude. This is the sum of your medicine studies problems right here. "If I do the right thing, there is no life", so it's no wonder the you're struggling and procrastinating -- you're literally fighting against yourself. Girl, you need some Tony Robbins in your life.

You might also need some Cal Newport for study techniques and general motivation to mastery.. I think it is the common college experience, having teachers who don't teach. It's very normal to have one or two great professors and be on your own with a text book for the rest of it. I needed to teach myself for my math degree. I had two good professors who actually taught, maybe three, but that made up a total of 5 semester courses out of.. 32ish. And those were earlier days of the internet so there just wasn't as much available.

I'm looking up Tony Robbins and Cal Newport. And I'll try not to procrastinate too much with them :-D
I wouldn't mind bad teachers that much, if I wasn't forced to go to their useless lectures and to pretend studying the way they imagine. Life would be much easier, if my faculty wasn't a pile of hypocrisy.
2 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Wed May 09, 2018 11:24 pm

word of the day:
le je-m'en-foutisme

Btw it's Eurovision time again. I find this year to be weaker than the previous ones, but I'll write here more when I'll have heard all the songs.

and another word of the day (from an unknown day, in which I wrote it down on the just refound piece of paper):
il licopiedi

both words are from native sources. And both have Czech equivalents (patolízal is a normal and widely known word. the equivalent of the French word may have been invented by my slovak friend, works in both languages, and is definitely too far from what the registers I could use on a forum :-D)
0 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Cavesa » Mon May 14, 2018 6:52 pm

A new log here

https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 79#p105579

Thanks to all of you for reading and continuous support!
You cannot even imagine how much it means to me.
The new log will be simpler to read and write and with goals simpler to stick to. Simplicity is the key word.
3 x

Peluche
Orange Belt

Postby Peluche » Wed May 30, 2018 9:33 am

Cavesa wrote:I have a huge problem with procrastination. Really. I learn tons of interesting useless bits during times like this. But I need to focus instead.

Every attempt to get out of this horrible habit has failed. You know, I don't really want to do anything anymore. Half the energy is spent on actually trying to want to do something.

For example tonight, I could have done the task I've been avoiding and gone to sleep. Or I could have done the task, spent one hour on languages, with a book, or anything, and then gone to sleep.

I am really a failure it seems.

Oh man, wait till you get older, and then even if you have the desire to do something, the energy is not there. :cry:

Cavesa wrote: The problem is the fact that there is no life, if I just do the right thing all the time. I am hypertired of that.

Know that feel....so much ... :(
0 x

Peluche
Orange Belt

Postby Peluche » Wed May 30, 2018 10:23 am

Ani wrote:

Thanks, I was not aware of Cal Newport's blog and books.
0 x

Return to “Language logs”