Mostly Arabic with Maiwenn

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
jimmy
Green Belt
Languages: ...

Re: Mostly Arabic with Maiwenn

Postby jimmy » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:10 pm

hi maiwenn,I explored something like a tiny treasure :)

this serial videos in MSA.

really lovely. probably madinah arabic team. I mostly enjoy them

and can you understand the videos wholly without looking to written instructions, just pronunciation?

these are said to be intermediate level arabic.

haha :)
0 x
Self Taught - Autodidactic

jimmy
Green Belt

Postby jimmy » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:40 pm

one question:

currently I do not write in arabic, and do you offer/believe that I should write whatever I learn in arabic?

I will express something in this regard but I am almost sure that you would find something very strange in it.

currently ,I think I have to hide some of my knowledges. because the generality of my family are not educated. my mother is not literate. she does not know even reading in any language. I am not sure whether I do the right thing with expressing these.

but why am I telling all these? , I come across with an unexpected attempts with some member of my families.
ok, they seem like they reflect their behaviours as supporting,however, thsese acts are all distorting my attention.

I was writing in chinese , and have a bit experience with that occasion.

core question: do you believe that it would be way efficacious to write in arabic ? (I normally ,mean handwriting)

thanks
0 x

Maiwenn
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N) & French
focusing on: MSA & Moroccan Arabic
backburner: German
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7321

Postby Maiwenn » Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:32 am

jimmy wrote:hi maiwenn,I explored something like a tiny treasure :)

and can you understand the videos wholly without looking to written instructions, just pronunciation?

You didn't include a link, but I think you mean this series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yv5PObn ... nEYoAs_z0K?
If so, yes. I do understand them audio-only (without reading the subtitles/translation).

jimmy wrote:currently I do not write in arabic, and do you offer/believe that I should write whatever I learn in arabic?

Yes, that would probably be helpful. Writing gives you the time to think through new grammar concepts, words, etc.
1 x
SC reading: 3819 / 10000 AR
SC reading: 3334 / 5000 FR
SC reading: 65 / 2500 DE :?

Corrections are always welcome. :)

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:09 pm

Just wanted to say how much I admire you! You spend so much time reading!

I've been having a "reading crisis". I've been a bookworm my whole life, but lately lost the desire to read, perhaps as a rather common case of "studying induced reading overload". So, it is great and motivating to see you, enjoying so many books and profiting from all the efforts you've invested into learning Arabic! You're great!

Et bon courage pour le confinement.
3 x

jimmy
Green Belt

Postby jimmy » Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:47 pm

Maiwenn wrote:
jimmy wrote:hi maiwenn,I explored something like a tiny treasure :)

You didn't include a link, but I think you mean this series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yv5PObn ... nEYoAs_z0K?
If so, yes. I do understand them audio-only (without reading the subtitles/translation).

jimmy wrote:currently I do not write in arabic, and do you offer/believe that I should write whatever I learn in arabic?

Yes, that would probably be helpful. Writing gives you the time to think through new grammar concepts, words, etc.

interesting, I was thinking I included link,but if I did not include that ,how did you anticipate and found it correctly ?! :)

and yes ,you might be correct for the other point. because that is a reason for why some or vast majority people do not understand or have problems in knowledge of academic maths.

thanks for commenting.
1 x

jimmy
Green Belt

Postby jimmy » Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:34 pm

hi once again maiwenn,
I request a reply,
how should I start to write ?
should I write whatever I read directly or should I start with some prerequisites of writing skills?
(for instance as you know, arabic letters is being written differently depending on their location in the line)

so,...?
0 x

jimmy
Green Belt

Postby jimmy » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:01 pm

hey,

I directly started to write whatever I read
It is so entertaining. :)
and definitely in the conformity with the philosophy of mathematics
0 x

cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8589

Postby cjareck » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:45 pm

jimmy wrote:how should I start to write ?

I would suggest starting with DLI Sound and Script handbook:
https://www.yojik.eu/languages/DLI/DLI- ... neral.html - the first link "Basic Course"
or use the Headstart2, where is a writing exercise in each activity:
https://hs2.dliflc.edu/msa.html
3 x
Please feel free to correct me in any language

Listening: 1+ (83% content, 90% linguistic)
Reading: 1 (83% content, 90% linguistic)

MSA DLI : 30 / 141ESKK : 18 / 40

Mandarin Assimil : 62 / 105

Maiwenn
Orange Belt

Postby Maiwenn » Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:00 pm

Took a break from updating my log... and actively working on Arabic, apparently. I let myself indulge in some English reading after exams and went a bit overboard. I did still manage to finish up the Super Challenge for Arabic reading since I last updated (tbh, listening too but I haven't bothered tallying that in, like, a year). I'm now trying to read an average of 30p/day and write 200words/day. I also had my first italki class since April today. It went well, but was definitely a bit rough. August is going to be a busy month, but I should be able to manage reading and writing.

I also moved! Back in my favorite city. :)

August goals:
Average 30 pages/day of Arabic reading
Write 200+words/day

Currently reading:
عزازيل by يوسف زيدان have been reading this out loud to my partner. A very good exercise, but it's definitely slow-going.
تسع عشرة امرأة by سمر يزبك narratives by 19 Syrian women on their experiences.
السعي من أجل البطولة by Morgan Rice (the kindle is free and I needed something *light* to read) cookie-cutter fantasy hero book
لا تقولي أنك خائفة by Giuseppe Catozella which I only started last night. Tells the story of Samia Yusuf Omar's journey from Somalia to the Beijing Olympics and then her attempted, ill-fated journey to the London Olympics.

Read:
فاتن by فاطمة شرف الدين
كابوتشينو by فاطمة شرف الدين
Fatima's books are intended for YA audiences, but treat quite serious subjects. (Btw, Ogrim, the médiathèques have both of these books.)

I read a bunch of bits and bobs of other books.

Anyway... hi all!
11 x

Maiwenn
Orange Belt

Postby Maiwenn » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:52 am

[Stares at the date on the calendar]
[Stares at August goals]
Hmmm

Well.

I did a lot in August!.. unfortunately, not a lot to update on here. (There may have been a trilingual wedding involved and lots of time with friends and family. :D ) Given my uncertain schedule for September and October (and the fact that September is already nearly half done hah), I'm not going to bother with concrete goals. My Arabic focus the next month and a half will be Jordanian Arabic as we might be visiting Jordan next month! (Also, I suppose, my classes which will be starting tomorrow....)

Reading-wise, I continued plodding along with the three books from my last post.

I stopped our netflix membership (as we haven't been watching it...) and got one for shahid (like netflix but only for Arabic-language shows and movies). Jokes on me as there aren't any Jordanian shows on it (and there are two on netflix presently), but I've really been enjoying some Egyptian and Lebanese shows. Shout out to Jane the Virgin remake, الأنسة فرح ! If you've watched the original, you'll notice that they pulled heavily from the decoration/aesthetic and use the same theme music. There are some plot changes in order to make it more culturally acceptable, presumably. (Male main character (Shadi in Arabic, Rafael in the original)'s sister is married to a man, rather than a woman.... Farah (Jane in the original)'s parents were secretly married before her birth.) It's still a fun watch.

For Jordanian tv shows, I've been watching some episodes of في ميل and الحب الحب.

If you have netflix, definitely check out AlRawabi School for Girls. No character is fully good or bad. It's full of nuance and social commentary and a great soundtrack.

I've also been going through https://thearabicwespeak.com and listening to their podcasts. If you're learning Jordanian Arabic, this is an excellent, free resource! I've also been listening to البلبل podcasts from http://www.thelevantongue.com
11 x

Return to “Language logs”