Mihai's language log (French, German)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
mihaivancea
White Belt
Languages: Romanian (N)
English (C2)
French (B2-C1)
German (A2-B1)

Mihai's language log (French, German)

Postby mihaivancea » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:46 pm

Hello, I'm new to this forum, and I thought I would share with others my language learning experience. In my day to day life I use a mixture of Romanian(native language in which I speak to my family), French(I live in France and I make a point of using it as much as I can) and English (the official language in my place of work). I'm currently actively studying French and German.

For French I have a remote teacher who I found through https://iboux.virtual-classes-online.com/ . We mostly focus on conversation, but lately we worked a lot more on spelling and grammar. My teacher recommended https://www.projet-voltaire.fr to improve my spelling. For now I'm only using the free material from that website, I'm still thinking whether or not to purchase the full content.

The second language I'm studying is German. Here I 'm using a single resource: https://chatterbug.com/. I take at least 2 45 minutes live lessons each week, and I do a lot of duolingo type practice provided by same website.

I was worried at first about studying more than 1 language at the same time (I thought I was going to start mixing things). Then I did some reading online and found out that if the 2 languages are very different(as French and German mostly are) you are less likely to have difficulties. If you study languages from the same family (Italian and Spanish for example) then indeed it can get confusing. But then again, I see people from this forum learning 5-6 languages at the same time (how do they do it?).

Any feedback or advice is welcomed.
Last edited by mihaivancea on Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
7 x

Stelle
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N1), French (N2), Spanish (advanced), Tagalog (basic), Russian (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=13312

Re: Mihai's language log

Postby Stelle » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:50 pm

Welcome to the forum!
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:02 pm

Welcome! Yeah many people here are learning a lot of languages at the same time, but some of us concentration on one before moving to the next. I think it depends on your disposition. But also if you've reached a relatively high level in one language you could probably start another.
1 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Atinkoriko
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Ibibio (N)
West African Pidgin English/Guinea Coast Creole[N]
Actively learning
Int: German, French, Spanish

Beginner: Russian, Japanese

Next: Mandarin Chinese, Ancient Greek, Latin, Ancient Egyptian Hieroglyphs, Italian
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 6&start=20

Postby Atinkoriko » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:27 pm

Welcome to the forum
0 x
: 50 / 2000 Remembering the Kanji :
: 33 / 75 SpanishFilms Half SC :
: 45 / 124 German Active wave :
: 3 / 100 Assimil Japanese :
: 33 / 100 Russian without Toil :
: 160 / 10000 Russian 10k srs :

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Postby Xenops » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:37 am

Welcome to the forum! It seems that there are two approaches to language learning:

1. Learn many at once, because you can’t stand to not study them at least a little bit, and

2. You study one or two at a time, because you can’t stand being a beginner for a really long time.

Anyway, have fun! :)
1 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:41 am

Welcome to the forum and the logs. One question for you: with living in France, why are you using an online tutor instead of one face-to-face? Just wondering.
1 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:00 am

IronMike wrote:Welcome to the forum and the logs. One question for you: with living in France, why are you using an online tutor instead of one face-to-face? Just wondering.

$$$$$$$$
0 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

mihaivancea
White Belt
English (C2)
French (B2-C1)
German (A2-B1)

Postby mihaivancea » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:43 am

IronMike wrote:Welcome to the forum and the logs. One question for you: with living in France, why are you using an online tutor instead of one face-to-face? Just wondering.

It's hard for me to commit to a weekly schedule with someone, that's why I prefer it online where scheduling/canceling is a lot more flexible. To me if as effective as face-to-face, possibly even more, since you are confortable in your home.
1 x

mihaivancea
White Belt
English (C2)
French (B2-C1)
German (A2-B1)

Postby mihaivancea » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:04 pm

This last week I've been working hard on both French and German.

Living in France, it's easy for me to go places where I meet and talk to French speaking people. I've been doing that a lot lately, using French as much as I can, including at my work place with my colleagues. I don't use it for work related discussions yet, but I may start to do that soon. Also, with my teacher, we're focusing a lot more on spelling lately - doing "Dictées". I've made a lot of progress speaking and understanding, but my writting skills are way behind. I guess I've felt they're less important, which of course is not the case. Finally, I started to read a book in French my teacher recommanded - Charlotte by David Foenkinos. The language used in the book is accessible and the subject is very interesting to me.

For German, all my studies are still done through Chatterbug. I'm reaching my weekly goal which is threefold: Study on 3 days, 150 minutes of study, 2 Live Lessons. Some example of words/expressions I'm currently learning: Zwiebel, Hähnchen, Du verstehst gut Deutsch., leider, geschlossen, Frühstück, Einzelzimmer, Bad, Kilogramm, öffnen, Guten Morgen, fragen.
0 x

mihaivancea
White Belt
English (C2)
French (B2-C1)
German (A2-B1)

Postby mihaivancea » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:28 pm

On the French front I read about 2/3 of Charlotte by David Foenkinos. I should finish it today or tomorrow. I recommend it to anyone, not just for learning French, it's a great book. My next book will be by the same author, it's called La tête de l'emploi. In addition to this I had a 60 minutes lesson with a French teacher (by remote through iboux.com). To improve my spelling I am working on the dictées from https://www.podcastfrancaisfacile.com/a ... ictee.html .

For German all my studies are still done through Chatterbug. My activities for this week: +92 new cards, +66 words known well, +224 minutes of study and 2 live lessons of 45 minutes each. I can see a clear improvement in my comprehension skills, but I'm still having difficulties expressing simple thoughts. I'm thinking of increasing the number of my weekly live lessons from 2 to 3.
1 x

Return to “Language logs”