Log 2k18

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
James29
Blue Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Spanish (C1-ish)
French (Beginner)
Portuguese (Thinking about it)

Re: Log 2k18

Postby James29 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:27 am

Your progress is really motivating.

sillygoose1 wrote:

Spanish:

La Casa de Papel S2E2
Alli abajo S3E7

Is that a typo about S2 of La Casa de Papel? I just finished season 1 and absolutely loved it. I was not aware that Season 2 was out yet. Where are you watching it?
0 x

sillygoose1
Green Belt
Languages: _
NA: English
C2: French
C1: German, Italian, Spanish
B2: Russian, Portuguese
A2: Japanese
A1: Mandarin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=751

Postby sillygoose1 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:06 pm

James29 wrote:Your progress is really motivating.

sillygoose1 wrote:

Spanish:

La Casa de Papel S2E2
Alli abajo S3E7

Is that a typo about S2 of La Casa de Papel? I just finished season 1 and absolutely loved it. I was not aware that Season 2 was out yet. Where are you watching it?

It depends on where you're watching it. In Spain, they marketed it as a second season but I've also seen it as being a second part to a single season. This was before they put it on Netflix. There should be around 18 episodes total I believe? I downloaded them from a Spanish torrent site.

And I agree. Spain has been putting out some of the best dramas and series in general that I've ever seen this last decade.
0 x

James29
Blue Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Spanish (C1-ish)
French (Beginner)
Portuguese (Thinking about it)

Postby James29 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:14 pm

sillygoose1 wrote:

sillygoose1 wrote:

Spanish:

La Casa de Papel S2E2
Alli abajo S3E7

It depends on where you're watching it. In Spain, they marketed it as a second season but I've also seen it as being a second part to a single season. This was before they put it on Netflix. There should be around 18 episodes total I believe? I downloaded them from a Spanish torrent site.

And I agree. Spain has been putting out some of the best dramas and series in general that I've ever seen this last decade.

There are 13 episodes on Netflix in the US. It ends at the point where Raquel takes the Professor to the farmhouse. She goes inside and he is just sitting there in the driveway in the car.
0 x

David27
Green Belt
Languages: English (N)
French, Spanish (advanced)
Russian, Portuguese, Italian, German (proficient)
Mandarin, Japanese, Dutch (low-intermediate)
Latin, Polish: (beginner)
Abandoned languages (for now) :( Greek, Czech, Bengali, Arabic, Norwegian

Postby David27 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:18 pm

How is listening to Notre Dame de Paris on audiobook? I personally have tried listening to 19th century literature on audiobook before and I find the long winded monologues and chapter long descriptive passages difficult to listen to. I prefer it in quiet reading.

For well known French literature I’ve read notre dame de Paris, les misérables, l’etranger, and germinal and would only recommend l’etranger as an audiobook. Jules Verne’s style is great for an audiobook. I really liked around the world in 80 days and will listen to another one of his books next time I’m looking for a French audiobook.
0 x

sillygoose1
Green Belt

Postby sillygoose1 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:33 pm

James29 wrote:
sillygoose1 wrote:

sillygoose1 wrote:

Spanish:

La Casa de Papel S2E2
Alli abajo S3E7

There are 13 episodes on Netflix in the US. It ends at the point where Raquel takes the Professor to the farmhouse. She goes inside and he is just sitting there in the driveway in the car.

Ah ok yeah that's the first part/season. There's like 5 more episodes left in the second part. I have no clue why they did it like that.

David27 wrote:How is listening to Notre Dame de Paris on audiobook? I personally have tried listening to 19th century literature on audiobook before and I find the long winded monologues and chapter long descriptive passages difficult to listen to. I prefer it in quiet reading.

For well known French literature I’ve read notre dame de Paris, les misérables, l’etranger, and germinal and would only recommend l’etranger as an audiobook. Jules Verne’s style is great for an audiobook. I really liked around the world in 80 days and will listen to another one of his books next time I’m looking for a French audiobook.

It was ok. I don't think I'd do it again since the monologues and descriptions you mentioned made me doze off while listening + I'd rather read literature from that period. I tried it also for Zola's Therese Raquin & Le rouge et le noir. At a certain point it started to feel like a chore. I think in the case of Zola I'm just not a fan of his naturalism.

I did notice that it is quite fun for modern detective/crime thrillers. If you're into those, Jean Christophe Grange and Maxime Chattam use easy language with a good amount of colloquialisms. There's also Gilbert Bordes' La peste noire series which is like a historical-adventure series with Medieval black plague Europe as a backdrop. That was good on audiobook.
2 x

sillygoose1
Green Belt

Postby sillygoose1 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:55 pm

French:

On hiatus. Doing some light Three Musketeers reading, some Golden Moustache skits, and some interviews. Just to sort of reset my brain again.

German:

Finished a series called Nicht tot zu kriegen. A light comedy about people getting tricked into buying part of a mansion just to support the older fella since his cleaning people left.

Season 2 of Magda macht das schon

Tried to finish Netflix's Dark but it's really boring the hell out of me.

Read Faust again, started Hermann und Dorothea

Russian:

Started a series called "The Method" on Netflix which is really good so far. It brings the alcoholic detective aspect to another level.

Haven't done much reading since I need to practice listening, but I also need vocab. It's still quite the Sisyphean struggle for me at the moment. I'm thinking that maybe some theater would be perfect for me right now since I'll be able to enjoy it and still learn. I did that German and August Strindberg.
1 x

sillygoose1
Green Belt

Postby sillygoose1 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:25 pm

Spanish:

Episode 1

This was a bit difficult for me probably because I've hardly done anything in Spanish outside of a few seasons of TV series and an Alex de la Iglesia binge within the past year or so. I'm thinking this could be my plunge back into a constant Spanish maintenance rather than losing what I had.

I ran into a few Dominicans and Puerto Ricans the other day and I must admit, that was difficult to follow when they were talking.

Italian:

Fun new Italian TV series with some of the main actors from Boris
0 x

sillygoose1
Green Belt

Postby sillygoose1 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:42 pm

Russian:

My copy of Routledge's intermediate reader came in.

Only did the first lesson so far and it was quite a challenge. The book seems to focus mainly on exercises rather than dialogues and they are at a difficulty that is perfect for people around A2/B1. You will definitely improve by the end of it if the first lesson is to go by.

My biggest problems are participle clauses and case endings. I can recognize both but forming them is a whole other ballgame.
1 x

sillygoose1
Green Belt

Postby sillygoose1 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:13 pm

Everything is still going according to plan. Romance languages are being maintained, German is improving more and more. Looking to add Dutch and Polish by the Summer if my Russian moves along.

Russian:

So I've been going through my Routledge reader and the curve between lessons steepens heavily. Easy lesson, two harder lessons, then a really hard one, and so forth. Now, I believe there are 18 total but what I did was I went up to 10, then went from 1-10 again, now I'm on 11 and will do the same for 11-18. The problem is that the 11th lesson has left me feeling intimidated. These past two lessons were heavily vocab focused covering 2 pages or so of new vocab.

My biggest hurdle at the moment is recognizing vocabulary from previous lessons that I thought I had covered. I'm finding myself getting thrown off track when the word looks familiar then I look for it in the current lesson's vocab chart (which I study before doing the lesson itself) and it isn't there. And while I can recognize case endings, my mind isn't always able to pick out a vocab word with an irregular ending at times. So even though I'll know the word in it's nominative form and know that the ending is in the instrumental or genitive or whatever, the word in that specific case doesn't show up in my head.

My idea is that it's probably time to do some more listening. I remember having a very similar problem in German so after that I watched some TV shows and movies. I'm going to try binge watching some more Russian series (I'm on The Method right now) as well as films then try to go back to the reader.

Verbs of motion I believe I have down. They seem superfluous, but I'm determined to master them. I'd like to be able to read Dostoevsky by Fall if not sooner.
3 x

sillygoose1
Green Belt

Postby sillygoose1 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:53 pm

French:

Working on Quebecois full time now. Watched an episode of Les Invincibles and although I had some trouble, I understood way more than I could remember. Naturally this was exhilarating for me since I haven't done any real work with Quebec speech for years now.

German:

Almost done season 1 of Schlawiner. Sometimes it's easy to keep up with, other times not so much. Started an audiobook and would also like to read a novel before I do more TV watching. I need a bit more vocab.

Italian:

Watched Non essere cattivo. Made me want to rewatch Suburra because Alessandro Borghi is a great actor. But then I remembered that new movie called The Place with him and a lot of other Italian greats just came out so I'll watch that next.

Spanish:

Season 3 of Club de Cuervos

Russian:

Things are getting difficult so I might need another break. Finished my reader, however.

So nothing really eventful lately. Just the same old stuff
Last edited by sillygoose1 on Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
4 x

Return to “Language logs”