NIKOLIĆ's log: An exercise in futility (Arabic, Romanian)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
NIKOLIĆ
Orange Belt
Languages: Speaks: Cрпски (N), English, Română.
Learning: Italiano, Magyar, 中文, Levantine Arabic, Русский.

Re: NIKOLIĆ's log: An exercise in futility (Arabic, Romanian)

Postby NIKOLIĆ » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:31 am

Completed lesson #16 of DLI's Syrian Arabic course which brings me to the end of Module 4.
Some of the words that I learned in this lesson were:

نظرية- theory
الفضا الخارجي- outer space, universe
مغارة- grotto, cave
شكّ- to doubt
هيكل- temple
مدهش- amazing

I also made a recording of me reading a story about a poor Englishman that just couldn't learn to speak Arabic to save his life.

Colloqial Arabic - A story

edit: typos
Last edited by NIKOLIĆ on Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
3 x
How yes no.

mihaivancea
White Belt
Languages: Romanian (N)
English (C2)
French (B2-C1)
German (A2-B1)

Postby mihaivancea » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:04 pm

Congrats on your progress with Romanian. If you want to practice the language there is no need to go to Romania, you can also visit Timočka Krajina, a lot of people speak the language there. ;)
1 x

NIKOLIĆ
Orange Belt

Postby NIKOLIĆ » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:22 pm

mihaivancea wrote:Congrats on your progress with Romanian.

Thank you. :)

If you want to practice the language there is no need to go to Romania, you can also visit Timočka Krajina, a lot of people speak the language there. ;)

I know, but full immersion is what I'm looking for. Even though I have a native speaker at home with whom I can practice, we ran out of topics to discuss a long time ago, and when the going gets tough I star slipping in more and more Serbian words and phrases. I'd love to be in an environment in which I'm forced to speak only Romanian.
0 x
How yes no.

Maiwenn
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N) & French
focusing on: MSA & Moroccan Arabic
backburner: German
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7321

Postby Maiwenn » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:35 am

NIKOLIĆ wrote:
I also made a recording of me reading a story about a poor Englishman that just couldn't learn to speak Arabic to save his life.

Colloqial Arabic - A story

I had my partner listen to this recording and he said, "that's a Syrian, I think." I told him, no, that you were learning Syrian Arabic. "But he lived there, right?" No. He is extremely impressed with your accent تبارقالله :)
1 x
SC reading: 3819 / 10000 AR
SC reading: 3334 / 5000 FR
SC reading: 65 / 2500 DE :?

Corrections are always welcome. :)

Tristano
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: Italian
Speaks: English, Dutch, French, Spanish
Understands but not yet speaks: Romanian
Studies: German
Can't wait to put his hands on: Scandinavian languages, Slavic languages, Turkish, Arabic and other stuff
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5141

Postby Tristano » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:32 pm

Hey man, it's good to see you again in the forum (I can't remember any post of you for quite a long time, but it is possibly my fault). How is going with Romanian? I have it a shot this year, learned quite a bit of it in very little time, enough to be able to listen to native podcasts and understanding what is going on, then realizing I didn't have many possibilities to practice it in real life and moved on a much more practical and useful to me language to learn (German), got addicted again. It looks you are doing great with Arabic!
1 x

NIKOLIĆ
Orange Belt

Postby NIKOLIĆ » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:58 am

Maiwenn wrote:I had my partner listen to this recording and he said, "that's a Syrian, I think." I told him, no, that you were learning Syrian Arabic. "But he lived there, right?" No. He is extremely impressed with your accent :)
شكرا بزاف :)

Tristano wrote:Hey man, it's good to see you again in the forum (I can't remember any post of you for quite a long time, but it is possibly my fault). How is going with Romanian? I have it a shot this year, learned quite a bit of it in very little time, enough to be able to listen to native podcasts and understanding what is going on, then realizing I didn't have many possibilities to practice it in real life and moved on a much more practical and useful to me language to learn (German), got addicted again. It looks you are doing great with Arabic!
It's going well. My progress is a bit slow, but it's there. I've just been lurking and liking (hearting?) people's posts. Couldn't be bothered to actually post anything. Glad to hear you're back to learning German, but I hope Romanian wasn't just a one-time fling. :)
1 x
How yes no.

Return to “Language logs”