NIKOLIĆ's log: An exercise in futility (Arabic, Romanian)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
NIKOLIĆ
Orange Belt
Languages: Speaks: Cрпски (N), English, Română.
Learning: Italiano, Magyar, 中文, Levantine Arabic, Русский.

Re: NIKOLIĆ's log: An exercise in futility.

Postby NIKOLIĆ » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:24 pm

Languages work in mysterious ways:

sekira - axe in Serbian. From the Latin! word "securis".
topor - axe in Romanian. From the Old Church Slavonic! word "toporŭ". ("secure" also exists in Romanian)

Slowly completing the Assimil Romanian course. Just finished lesson #92. 8 more to go.
1 x
How yes no.

NIKOLIĆ
Orange Belt

Postby NIKOLIĆ » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:31 am

Assimil lesson #99 done, 2 more to go.

Started reading a Romanian comic book called "Harap Alb continuă". Downloaded the first 5 issues, but now I'm gonna order the rest of them 'cause I think they're worth it. The entire thing is extremely well made and I really like the way the sketch artists, illustrators and colorists made the whole story come to life thanks to excellent design and coloring. I'm sure Ion Creangă would have been proud if he was still alive today. Looks like his legacy will live on.

Fan art:
2 x
How yes no.

NIKOLIĆ
Orange Belt

Postby NIKOLIĆ » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:20 pm

1 x
How yes no.

NIKOLIĆ
Orange Belt

Postby NIKOLIĆ » Wed May 25, 2016 4:32 am

Still going strong. Reading took a back seat because I've been spending my free time on listening to podcasts and watching TV shows.

Yesterday I finished the first part of my "Modern Romanian" coursebook. The first part of the coursebook (16 lessons) is based on an "oral" approach, with each lesson containing a preparatory section where sentences from the main text are "built up" and varied so that the student can see the words used in a slightly different context. The second part of the book focuses on vocabulary acquisition by means of extensive reading (no audio for the second part of the course). Each lesson contains 3-4 relatively short texts and every text is followed by a glossary, questions, exercises and some grammar explanations (every language learner's wet dream).

Lesson #17:

1 x
How yes no.

NIKOLIĆ
Orange Belt

Postby NIKOLIĆ » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:46 pm

Scriu asta în timp ce stau pe pat. Sunt foarte obosit pentru că am stat treaz toata noaptea învățănd pentru un examen, dar a meritat pentru că l-am luat. Dacă adorm acuma, o să mă trezesc după miezul nopții, așa că o să încerc să stau treaz măcar până la ora zece. Ieri am văzut un curs de limba "молдовеняскэ" scris cu alfabetul chirilic. Cu toate că mie mi s-a părut foarte mișto, nu-mi place faptul că unii vor să împartă (sau mai bine spus să balcanizeze) și mai mult aceste două țări, deși e vorbă de un singur popor. Poate acu', după parerea mea, diferențele nu-s așa de mari, dar după un timp aceste mici diferențe culturale și lingvistice o să devină așa de mari încât se va pierde urma de fostă frăție. No, ajunge cu politica.

Deocamdată învăț în jur de 10 limbi. În fiecare zi accentul e pus pe română și dacă mai am timp liber, fac ceva și cu alte limbi. N-am un scop foarte specific, pur și simplu vreau să înțeleg toate limbile pe care le învăț, și dacă în viitor voi avea nevoie de a vorbi limba respectiva, îmi va fi foarte ușor s-o activez fiindcă deja o înțeleg.

Și cu asta, basta!
Last edited by NIKOLIĆ on Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
How yes no.

NIKOLIĆ
Orange Belt

Postby NIKOLIĆ » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:08 pm

I've been giving some serious thought to starting the DLI - Romanian Basic course. I'm probably just gonna breeze thought the first couple of lessons since I'm not a beginner, and then I'll see if I like it or not. As far as I know, the course was not designed (?) for self-study, so if I find a way to make it work for me, I'll most likely stick with it.
Last edited by NIKOLIĆ on Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
How yes no.

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:36 am

NIKOLIĆ wrote:I've been giving some serious thought to starting the DLI - Romanian Basic course. I'm probably just gonna breeze thought the first couple of lessons since I'm not a beginner, and then I'll see if I like it or not. As far as I know the course, was not designed (?) for self-study, so if I find a way to make it work for me, I'll most likely stick with it.

NONE of the DLI basic courses were designed for self-study! The Headstart courses, yes. Basic courses, no. ;)

Also, I don't think the Romanian course has been updated in decades, so you might be entertained with the Cold War-esque vocab and readings/audio.
1 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Tristano
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: Italian
Speaks: English, Dutch, French, Spanish
Understands but not yet speaks: Romanian
Studies: German
Can't wait to put his hands on: Scandinavian languages, Slavic languages, Turkish, Arabic and other stuff
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5141

Postby Tristano » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:56 am

Hey @NIKOLIĆ,
non ho seguito molto il tuo log negli ultimi periodi ed ora ho scoperto che stai studiando (con successo sembra!) il Rumeno. Quando ero in Italia ogni tanto pensavo che avrei potuto studiare il Rumeno (ci sono molti Rumeni in Italia), ora che vivo in Olanda ho meno motivazioni per farlo.
In bocca al lupo per i tuoi studi! Il Rumeno deve essere una lingua molto affascinante (mi fa uno strano effetto, come se abbia a che fare con una lingua familiare ma di cui non capisco che pochissime parole).
1 x

rfnsoares
Orange Belt
Languages: Native: Portuguese
B2/C1: English, French, Italian, Spanish and Russian
A2/B1: Romanian, German
A2: Polish, Greek, Hungarian
Dabbling: Croatian, Czech, Swedish, Norwegian, Lithuanian, Finnish, Turkish, Hebrew...

Postby rfnsoares » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:46 pm

NIKOLIĆ wrote:I've been giving some serious thought to starting the DLI - Romanian Basic course. I'm probably just gonna breeze thought the first couple of lessons since I'm not a beginner, and then I'll see if I like it or not. As far as I know the course, was not designed (?) for self-study, so if I find a way to make it work for me, I'll most likely stick with it.

Hi!
I've been following you log with keen interest. I'm also learning the Romanian language and I've started my studies with the DLI Romanian Basic Course. I've just finished the first volume (lessons 1-15). I'm working on one lesson a day (45min-1 hour). The course is great (so far) for self-study, I can say. I'll stick to it. The lessons are simple, the vocabulary presented is very suitable for a lesson a day, there are a lot drills for grammar and a reading section.
Well, since you are not a beginner, maybe the first lessons will not be very useful, only for grammar and vocabulary review. ;)
1 x
100 Russian novels : 33 / 100

NIKOLIĆ
Orange Belt

Postby NIKOLIĆ » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:23 pm

IronMike wrote:NONE of the DLI basic courses were designed for self-study! The Headstart courses, yes. Basic courses, no. ;)

Also, I don't think the Romanian course has been updated in decades, so you might be entertained with the Cold War-esque vocab and readings/audio.

I don't mind the Cold War-esque vocab since it'll certainly help when it comes to watching documentaries and reading books and other material written in and about that time period.

Thanks for dropping in, tovarish! Ughh...I mean comrade. Ughhh...I mean...Bye.

Tristano wrote:Hey @NIKOLIĆ,
non ho seguito molto il tuo log negli ultimi periodi ed ora ho scoperto che stai studiando (con successo sembra!) il Rumeno. Quando ero in Italia ogni tanto pensavo che avrei potuto studiare il Rumeno (ci sono molti Rumeni in Italia), ora che vivo in Olanda ho meno motivazioni per farlo.
In bocca al lupo per i tuoi studi! Il Rumeno deve essere una lingua molto affascinante (mi fa uno strano effetto, come se abbia a che fare con una lingua familiare ma di cui non capisco che pochissime parole).

Ciao Tristano!

Grazie per aver fatto un salto al mio log.

Non fa niente. Devo dire che non sono stato molto dettagliato e puntuale con gli aggiornamenti. Sì, ci sono molti Rumeni in Italia, ma purtroppo tra loro ci sono anche molti zingari rumeni che danno una cattiva fama al Romania. Non c'è bisogno di dire perché è così.

Il mio livello di italiano è peggiorato perché non l'ho studiato da molto tempo, e quando provo a parlare l'italiano con me stesso, escono parole rumene dalla mia bocca. Il fatto che adesso sto guardando uno show televisivo in qui parlano napolitano non mi aiuta molto. :D Ma la cosa importante per me è che il mio livello dell'ascolto è migliorato grazie alle parole simile che esistono in Rumeno. Prova a indovinare che cosa significano queste parole: tăcere, sepie, ficat, cap, lup, vulpe. Ci sono molte parole di origine slava che vengono usate nella lingua quotidiana, ma dopo che si imparano queste parole e un po' di ascolto, credo che il Rumeno non sia così difficile per qualcuno chi parla una lingua romanza (particolarmente come madrelingua!).

Crepi il lupo!

rfnsoares wrote:Hi!
I've been following you log with keen interest. I'm also learning the Romanian language and I've started my studies with the DLI Romanian Basic Course. I've just finished the first volume (lessons 1-15). I'm working on one lesson a day (45min-1 hour). The course is great (so far) for self-study, I can say. I'll stick to it. The lessons are simple, the vocabulary presented is very suitable for a lesson a day, there are a lot drills for grammar and a reading section.
Well, since you are not a beginner, maybe the first lessons will not be very useful, only for grammar and vocabulary review. ;)

Hello there!

I'm glad to hear you're finding the DLI course useful.

Are you using any other courses, and more importantly, what are your sources of native input?

Baftă!
0 x
How yes no.

Return to “Language logs”