Tofu Log! (Spanish, Japanese, and more) =^._.^= ∫

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Tofu
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (Intermediate High), French (Intermediate Low), Japanese (Novice Mid)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7220

Tofu Log! (Spanish, Japanese, and more) =^._.^= ∫

Postby Tofu » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:08 pm

Die Grenzen meiner Sprache bedeuten die Grenzen meiner Welt. / The limits of my language are the limits of my world - Wittgenstein

I am new-ish to these forums. I used to frequent HTLAL years and years ago but it's been so long that I don't even remember what my username was. At the time I was studying Japanese and French steadily, but they have fallen by the wayside over the last few years. That has changed, so now I'm back and ready to start a new log.

Spanish - This is the main reason that my language learning slowed down. I have been in a long term relationship with a native Spanish-speaker and slowly working on my Spanish over the years. I've travelled successfully in areas where they do not speak English and I can communicate well with his family so my Spanish is definitely passable. Recently I realized that I've let myself plateau over the years. I never studied formally, learning mostly through exposure, so my grammar production can be quite horrific. I can't express complex thoughts because of never learning the subjunctive, for instance. (Commonly used verbs I can use correctly through exposure, like ser and saber, but I couldn't tell you the rules on conjugating any of them.) I've made it my goal for the next six months to really focus on my Spanish to reach a level of fluency that I can be proud of. I'd like to be able to watch any tv show without misunderstandings, for instance.

French - I used to be as advanced in French as I currently am in Spanish, but in the past few years I've had to suppress my French a bit. The language interference from French has led me to some embarassing moments. I've decided to put French on hold until I'm fluent enough in Spanish that my Spanish progress won't be hampered by studying French.

Japanese - I've been off and on again with Japanese for years and now I'm on again. I have a friend who wanted to trial run a tutoring curriculum in Japanese so I've been one of her test subjects, learning from scratch. I've found that Japanese pronunciation is similar enough to Spanish and its vocabulary different enough that it doesn't interfere with my Spanish. It only interferes time-wise, so I've been limiting my Japanese to about 10 minutes a day (longer on tutoring days) just so that I have daily exposure.

I've been working through the duolingo courses for various languages like Welsh when bored, but I'm not going to cover those here.

Since my current Spanish goal is to improve my listening, I've been working on listening to at least one podcast every day. When I'm low energy due to health issues, I just watch Spanish tv instead. Here's my ideal schedule:
1. Listen to an episode of Radio Ambulante or Espanol Automatico. Have a pen and paper in hand and jot down words I don't recognize.
2. Reflect on what I listened to, read my notes, look up words I don't know. If there's a general topic, such as "crime", I review word lists related to the topic so that I refresh my memory and find gaps in my vocabulary.
3. Repeat step 1!
4. Read the transcript. Turn any words I don't know into flashcards.
5. Listen to the same episode one last time.

15 minutes seems like the optimal chunk of time for each listen through. This means that I sometimes have to break the Radio Ambulante episodes into smaller pieces. They all have a commercial break halfway through, so I usually go up to the commercial break.
6 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Re: Tofu Log! (Spanish, Japanese, and more) =^._.^= ∫

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:17 pm

Welcome to the forum! I'm sure you'll find a lot of helpful information here.
2 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Tofu
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (Intermediate High), French (Intermediate Low), Japanese (Novice Mid)

Postby Tofu » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:33 pm

I waste a lot of time on Netflix trying to find Spanish-language shows that are enjoyable and good for language learning. I'm going to reserve this space to review shows as I watch them so that others can benefit from my experimentation.

Celia
Summary: A mini-series about the early stages of Celia Cruz's career.
Language: I highly recommend this series for learning. There's an adequate amount of dialogue, and it is easy to follow the plot even if you don't understand all of the dialogue.
Content warnings: sex, cursing

Club de Cuervos
Summary: A rich Mexican business owner dies, leaving his football team to his adult children, Isabel and Chava. Isabel, Chava, and all of the rest of the cast are annoying and spend three seasons making terrible decisions. If you can get over that, then I recommend this show. It's fast-paced and humorous.
Language: Colloquial Mexican Spanish. Characters tend to speak quickly and talk at the same time. There is a high quantity of language per epsiode, and there's repeated use of similar vocabulary.
Content warnings: consensual sex, drugs, cursing

Gringolandia
Summary: A comedy about a Chilean man moving to Brooklyn, NYC. Not recommended.
Language: Bilingual American English and Chilean Spanish. Very colloquial.
Content warnings: jokes about drugs and sex, cursing

Ingobernable
Summary: A very intense drama. The president of Mexico is assassinated and his wife is framed for his murder.
Language: Formal and colloquial Mexican Spanish. I found the dialogue very easy to understand because everything is said quite dramatically. There is very little dialogue per episode however, so it's not recommended for language learning.
Content warnings: In the epsiodes I've watched there is violence and consensual sex.

Metástasis
Summary: Colombian remake of the US show Breaking Bad. An intense drama about a high school teacher who becomes a drug dealer.
Language: Colombian Spanish in a variety of registers. This one is great for study if you've already seen Breaking Bad because you probably won't need subtitles.
Content warnings: lots of violence, drugs, sex, cursing
Last edited by Tofu on Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

Tofu
White Belt

Postby Tofu » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:06 pm

Spanish

• Have been listening to at least one podcast per day. (See the first post in this thread for an explanation of how I do active podcast listening.)
  • On Wednesday, I did a lot of reading. I started La Nieve de Almirante by Álvaro Mutis. I also found an interesting column in El Tiempo - El lenguaje en el tiempo. It's a (Colombian) Spanish style guide. He takes sentences from other media that he thinks are incorrect and explains why.

Japanese

I was unsure of my future with Japanese, but the small class I've been taking has agreed to continue indefinitely! I have a lot of time during the day for flashcards, so I think I will continue doing Japanese flashcards and taking my class once a week, while using my listening time for Spanish.
1 x

Tofu
White Belt

Postby Tofu » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:58 am

Spanish
Except for when I was out of town this weekend, I've been consistent about listening to at least one Spanish podcast each day. Except for the NHK world news, I listen to each three times as well (not necessarily in the same day). This gives me a chance to listen to it fresh, then listen to it again after I've worked with the vocabulary in the podcast more. Just to switch it up, when I listen to NHK news, I follow along with the transcript.

I've watched a few episodes of Celia, but I'm not sure I consider that studying. I think tv has too much silence and watching it is too passive, so I just think of it as a "bonus" if I watch tv in a target language, not as work.

Japanese
I squeeze in 10 mins of flashcards every day just so I can say I did "something". We don't have class this week, so I also watched a bit of Yan (Let's Learn Japanese Basic) as listening practice. I fast foward through most of the English grammatical explanations because those are really slow.

I've found some great Japanese resources this week that I'm bookmarking for later:
Satori reader - system for shadowing!
Romy Sensei - Despite knowing very little Japanese, I do happen to know a good bit of Kanji. I find that learning the kanji of a new word helps it stick, especially if it uses radicals I'm already familiar with. Etymology also helps words "stick" for me. This combines both of those things.

General
I saw this today and thought that my colleages here at the forum would be interested. This man undertook mastering 12 skills in 12 months, one month per skill. One of his months was spent improving his Hebrew.
Link to all of the skills: https://medium.com/@maxdeutsch/m2m-day- ... 43700c741f
Description of his Hebrew skills before practice: https://medium.com/@maxdeutsch/m2m-day- ... 27778fcf1a
Description of how he spent his time that month: https://medium.com/@maxdeutsch/m2m-day- ... 47ea573331
2 x

Tofu
White Belt

Postby Tofu » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:41 pm

I switched my flashcards to anki this week, which means they all got reset and I've been mostly doing repeat cards. Hopefully all of the time I spent re-reviewing cards and configuring anki will be worth it in the long run.

Spanish
  • Have listened to a podcast every day.
  • Flashcards every day
  • Started reading a translated crime novel in Spanish. It's about an N+1 read for me and I'm really enjoying it. I enjoyed it so much, in fact, that I bought a few others for the Kindle to read when I finish this one (likely today).

Japanese
  • Flashcards every day
  • I follow a lot of food instagram accounts, and this week I added the words I see daily on the Japanese ones to my flashcards.
1 x

Tofu
White Belt

Postby Tofu » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:17 pm

I almost forgot! Today I had my first conversation with a stranger in Spanish in the past few months. I found that it was less anxiety-inducing that it normally is. Just knowing that I had been studying made me more confident. I could also tell that I was distinguishing word segmentation better than I had been in the past.
5 x

Tofu
White Belt

Postby Tofu » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:40 pm

Spanish
  • Flashcards every day - Just now realized that I messed up my anki and I have two of every card, but only one side only. I'm going to have to figure out how I messed up my card type so badly, and I'm dreading it.
  • Finished reading my crime novel. To reinforce my vocabulary, I tried to find a detective series in Spanish. Started watching Mar de Plastico.
  • Started reading Justicia Auxiliar by Ann Leckie. I've read it twice in English, so I'm hoping it will be a gentle introduction to Spanish sci-fi vocabulary so I can start reading native sci-fi works.
  • Really frustrated with the fact that after all the work I do I still have trouble following along with TV without subtitles. This frustration is motivating for me.

Japanese
Bare minimum here with daily flashcards and my weekly class.
1 x

Tofu
White Belt

Postby Tofu » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:42 pm

I'm thinking about changing my learning strategy.

• Flashcards - I'm beginning to doubt the value of using my time on flashcards. I'm going to continue to do the bare minimum to keep Anki fresh, but I'm not going to add any more. Instead I'm going to spend that time reading and listening instead.
  • After thinking about this this blog post about language interference, I'm also going to do daily listening in French. The theory is that if you want to be truly multilingual, you need to get used to managing multiple languages at once.
1 x

Tofu
White Belt

Postby Tofu » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:35 pm

Slow week this week in terms of my effort.

Spanish
  • Flashcards every day
  • Still reading Justicia Auxiliar by Ann Leckie.

French
Started watching Le Meilleur Patissier. I can follow most of what they say without subtitles and I'm very pleased with myself.

Japanese
Bare minimum here with daily flashcards and my weekly class.
0 x

Return to “Language logs”