cathrynm: suomi/日本語

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
cathrynm
Orange Belt
Languages: Japanese(JLPT N3), Finnish(beginner), English(native)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=721

Re: cathrynm: suomi/日本語

Postby cathrynm » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:29 am

That SuomiPop channel is quite nice. It is all Finnish, I'm hearing no English music on it, and it has just the right combination of talk and music to be interesting and not tedius or baffling.

For TV, I really like these guys here, Riku and Tunna. To me, they fit my internal stereotype of Finnish men, resilliant, completely fearless, obsessed with alcohol. Do they pick this up from Finnish military service? Maybe Finns get the survival training without the actual war -- so they avoid the paranoia that Americans suffer from. Their first series, the Finnish Madventures is on Youtube. The first few years are in Finnish, but they tragically switch to English in later seasons. They have a new show, which for me is a bit of a listening comprehension challenge. I do what I can. I'm not sure what it is, but with TV I can always tell what's good -- even if I don't understand.

1 x

cathrynm
Orange Belt

Postby cathrynm » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:20 am

Tonight, I've been watching this one with my VPN, which on the weekend wasn't able to stream katsomo.fi, but today it's working great. Maybe they fixed it, or maybe the server is overloaded on weekends? I don't know, now it's streaming perfect. This is one of those Police reality shows except in Finland, and it's all very natural and conversational, and it has Finnish subtitles too. I saw a bit go by where it just switched to Swedish for one call. Maybe Finnish people can just understand that? I don't know.

https://www.katsomo.fi/sarja/-112-33011107
0 x

tiia
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (?), Finnish (C1), Spanish (B2??), Swedish (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=2374

Postby tiia » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:45 am

cathrynm wrote:I saw a bit go by where it just switched to Swedish for one call. Maybe Finnish people can just understand that? I don't know.

Haven't seen the show, but as every Finn learns Swedish in school, because Swedish is the official second language, they proabably expect someone to understand a few sentences of Swedish. However, most Finns I know say that they don't really speak Swedish.
1 x
Corrections for entries written in Finnish, Spanish or Swedish are welcome.
Project 30+X: 25 / 30

cathrynm
Orange Belt

Postby cathrynm » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:38 pm

I was in an online chatroom (for Japanese language learners) with mixed Finns and Sweedish people, and the Finns were using their high-school Swedish as a joke. For some reason this made everyone weirdly uncomfortable. Maybe a feeling comparable to using your US-learned high-school Spanish at a Mexican restaurant?
1 x

cathrynm
Orange Belt

Postby cathrynm » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:22 am

Oh and now I'm back to my yearly tradition -- working on these Japanese word jumble puzzles. This has been a JLPT standard the last 6-7 years or so. I post this one because it's making me crazy.

母が日本へくる ___ ____ _____ ___ 大好きな食品が数々送られてきた。
1.とともに 2.との 3.兄からの 4.知らせ

I think I'm going 2、4、1、3、-- thought it took me like 15 minutes to get that guess, and I'm not sure if it's right. Hmph. And have to go to bed now so I can go to work tomorrow.
1 x

vonPeterhof
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (C2), Japanese (~C1), German (~B2), Kazakh (~B1), Norwegian (~A2)
Studying: Kazakh, Mandarin, Coptic
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1237

Postby vonPeterhof » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:53 pm

cathrynm wrote:母が日本へくる ___ ____ _____ ___ 大好きな食品が数々送られてきた。
1.とともに 2.との 3.兄からの 4.知らせ

I think I'm going 2、4、1、3、-- thought it took me like 15 minutes to get that guess, and I'm not sure if it's right.

I think it should be 2、3、4、1, mainly because 兄からの大好きな食品 would sound a bit weird. For one, even though I've never seen this expressed as a grammatical rule, I've noticed that noun constructs ending with の generally go right in front of the noun they modify, even if that means separating that noun from an adjective and making it ambiguous as to which noun the adjective refers to (I suspect that this is the reason why Japanese-made English tends to prefer phrases constructed like "dear my friend" to "my dear friend"). The other reason why I think it's weird is that Xからの seems to imply that the following noun is something that gets sent by definition (知らせ, 手紙, 包み, etc.). With a word like 食品 I think the more common structure would be something like 大好きな食品が数々兄から送られてきた. On the other hand, having 兄からの come between との and 知らせ isn't as weird, since との and 兄からの are both の-constructs.
1 x

cathrynm
Orange Belt

Postby cathrynm » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:59 am

Oh, okay, I think that makes sense. Yeah I thought the stuff was coming from the ani? I'm not really sure. Confess, I have very little feel for what sounds good, but maybe it is true that no + i-adj + noun is strange?

0 x

cathrynm
Orange Belt

Postby cathrynm » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:44 am

So much smoke in California. Was thinking of this, specifically the bit here, she's doing laundry with the fire just over the hill.

1 x

vonPeterhof
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (C2), Japanese (~C1), German (~B2), Kazakh (~B1), Norwegian (~A2)
Studying: Kazakh, Mandarin, Coptic
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1237

Postby vonPeterhof » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:00 am

I love how the cover image for that trailer kind of gives away an important plot twist..
1 x

cathrynm
Orange Belt

Postby cathrynm » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:33 am

秒速5センチメートル, the complete movie is on youtube. I suppose everyone with any interest in Japanese language at all has seen this already, right? Guess it'll be taken down soon, but whatever, it's there now. One of the ones I can watch multiple times anyway.

1 x

Return to “Language logs”