cathrynm: suomi/日本語

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Nogon
Green Belt
Languages: German (N), Swedish (C), English (?), French (A2), Esperanto (A2). Reading Danish, Norwegian, Dutch, Afrikaans. Wanting to learn Polish, Yiddish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16039

Re: cathrynm: suomi/日本語

Postby Nogon » Tue May 28, 2019 5:38 pm

Have you checked the Book Depository? They have some finnish books and it's free delivery worldwide.
1 x
Assimil French : 65 / 113
Active wave : 15 / 113

cathrynm
Orange Belt
Languages: Japanese(JLPT N3), Finnish(beginner), English(native)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=721

Postby cathrynm » Tue May 28, 2019 6:48 pm

Have not tried bookdepository. Looking through selection under Finnish right now. Sort of an odd collection of titles, but I think maybe I'll find something in here to bite on, see how it works out. Yeah, and I haven't even thought of mailing books back myself. I'm just used to Amazon, click the button, they show up. This is a new world for me.
0 x

cathrynm
Orange Belt

Postby cathrynm » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:56 pm

And now back at work, after coming back from Finland. Would say this, at least, that going to the country makes 'learning Finnish' seem like less of an insane thing (even though maybe it is.)
0 x

cathrynm
Orange Belt

Postby cathrynm » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:56 pm

So, I've booked another trip to Japan. Oddly in September, which is not the greatest for weather, but I'll be going to the Tokyo Game show. I'm a game programmer by profession, and I figure I can wander around during the industry-insder days, see what's going on. Maybe do some other random wandering around Japan too. Have been poking along with Clozemaster in Finnish, but also have been busy exercising, trying to lose weight lately. Have actuallly dropped some pounds, so language progress slow, but progress on the body is going well. Still feeling fat, but feeling less fat, and like I'm on the right track, so motivation is high right now.
3 x

ilmari
Orange Belt
Languages: Fluent - French (N), English, Hebrew, Japanese.
Intermediate - Korean, Finnish, Spanish, Russian.
Studying (now) - Russian, Spanish
Dabbling - Italian, Polish, Yiddish, Mandarin Chinese, Arabic, Persian, Turkish, Urdu, Indonesian, Māori, Latin, Esperanto, Swahili
Would love to study - Norwegian, Swedish, Ancient Greek, and so many more.

Postby ilmari » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:43 am

cathrynm wrote: So, the quest for a source for Finnish books continues.

You could also try https://ruslania.com/?language=en. It is an Helsinki bookshop which sells mostly Russian material, but also Finnish and Estonian textbooks. And they deliver worldwide at a very reasonable price.

Here is the link to their Finnish textbooks list: https://ruslania.com/en/books/categories/254-finnish-language-textbooks/
1 x

cathrynm
Orange Belt

Postby cathrynm » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:13 am

And these never get old.
0 x

cathrynm
Orange Belt

Postby cathrynm » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:24 am

Stumbled by the new Muumit series on Japanese TV. Still a little bit not sure of the look, feels a little bit overly 3d to me, some details felt a little off, but we'll see. Anyway, it is on YLE, not sure if my VPN will be good enough to do it, we'll see. Would rather do this in Finnish as I have a thousands of options for Japanese language TV.
2 x

cathrynm
Orange Belt

Postby cathrynm » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:39 am

And, another JLPT N2, and this time, failed. Slightly different results 26/17/30 73/180. So actually did best on listening, and worst on reading. Hmm. The thing is, this year I have been massively distracted with diet and weight loss, and did actually get my weight down to healthy BMI. So this year was a success on this front. For me, though exercise + work + Japanese, just is too much, and these days i barely have time for laundry it seems like.

Trying to figure out what my plan for 2020 is. I always have been going all-JLPT all year, but considering that for 2020, just cram on JLPT 2 the entire year?
1 x

cathrynm
Orange Belt

Postby cathrynm » Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:48 am

And just posting to say I'm still hanging in there, lately more wtih Finnish than Japanese. Back in the groove on clozemaster. Also found this one movie on Netflix that has Finnish audio. Though the Finnish subs don't match the Finnish audio, they're kind of approximate, I think.

https://www.netflix.com/watch/80214236? ... e9_ROOT%2C
0 x

cathrynm
Orange Belt

Postby cathrynm » Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:57 am

Also, going through some old folders, found some old writing, I think from my Grandmother in Finnish with dates from the 1920's. It's handwriting, and blurry, not so easy to puzzle out, but has kind of renewed my interest in this language.
1 x

Return to “Language logs”