Study Log 한국어

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Snow
Orange Belt
Languages: Tagalog (native), English (advanced), Spanish (intermediate), Korean (upper beginner)

Re: Study Log 한국어 + 日本語 + 普通话

Postby Snow » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:11 pm

Drama recommendations:

1. Signal - police/detective, time travel, crime solving, thriller, a little bit of romance but not the cringy, over-the-top kind, very good storyline

2. Forest of Secrets - prosecutor+police, government corruption, crime solving, good friendship/partnership between the leads, no romance, good storyline
1 x

AndyMeg
Blue Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2-C1), Japanese (A2-B1), Korean (Lower Intermediate?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 02#p201902

Postby AndyMeg » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:35 pm

More k-drama recommendations:

Duel - 듀얼 (Detective, crime, thriller, science fiction): A detective's sick daughter is kidnapped, at first the detective thinks he has caught the culprit but then he finds out there are two of them. Who is the real culprit? Why are both of them identical? Where is his daughter and why was she kidnapped?

Circle: Two Connected Worlds - 써클: 이어진 두 세계 ( Science fiction, mystery): The story revolves around a pair of twin brothers and a mysterious girl. It is told in two separate time-lines, both of them with their own mystery to solve.

Tunnel - 터널 (Detective, crime, thriller, fantasy): While investigating a serial murder's case a detective travels 30 years into the future. Before he can go back to the past, there's a mystery he needs to solve in the future, but first he needs to figure what it is about.
0 x
Beyond The Story 10 Year Record of BTS Korean version: 36 / 522

Christi
Orange Belt
Languages: Dutch (N), English (C1), German (B1), Korean (high A2-low B1?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=7574

Postby Christi » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:49 pm

AndyMeg wrote:More k-drama recommendations:

Duel - 듀얼 (Detective, crime, thriller, science fiction): A detective's sick daughter is kidnapped, at first the detective thinks he has caught the culprit but then he finds out there are two of them. Who is the real culprit? Why are both of them identical? Where is his daughter and why was she kidnapped?

Circle: Two Connected Worlds - 써클: 이어진 두 세계 ( Science fiction, mystery): The story revolves around a pair of twin brothers and a mysterious girl. It is told in two separate time-lines, both of them with their own mystery to solve.

Tunnel - 터널 (Detective, crime, thriller, fantasy): While investigating a serial murder's case a detective travels 30 years into the future. Before he can go back to the past, there's a mystery he needs to solve in the future, but first he needs to figure what it is about.

Awww, I just checked Viki but none of these are available in my region...too bad because they sound really exciting and interesting!
0 x
2020 resolution words learned: 472 / 1000
Pages read at end of 2020: 220 / 1500

AndyMeg
Blue Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2-C1), Japanese (A2-B1), Korean (Lower Intermediate?)

Postby AndyMeg » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:09 pm

Christi wrote:
AndyMeg wrote:More k-drama recommendations:

Awww, I just checked Viki but none of these are available in my region...too bad because they sound really exciting and interesting!

Maybe you could try with Dramafever ;)
1 x

Christi
Orange Belt
Languages: Dutch (N), English (C1), German (B1), Korean (high A2-low B1?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=7574

Postby Christi » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:59 pm

If you are looking for a new Korean series, maybe you'll like The devil. It's an old one but I remember it having a lot of suspense and mystery.

''A string of murders brings together a conflicted detective, a psychic librarian, and a mysterious lawyer with dubious motives. Detective Kang Oh-soo (Uhm Tae-woong) is assigned to two seemingly unrelated murder cases, where the only clues left behind are tarot cards, with the first card meaning "judgment." This leads him to Seo Hae-in (Shin Min-a), a quiet librarian who has the uncanny ability to make a psychic connection to an object to discover its history. She reveals to him that the victims were connected to the death of a high school boy years ago. The one common link between the suspects is their defense attorney, Oh Seung-ha (Ju Ji-hoon), a young lawyer who is seemingly kind and altruistic. Hae-in and Seung-ha later fall in love, though Oh-soo also has feelings for her.

As the culprit continues to leave clues, more lives are ruined and the body count rises. Oh-soo races to uncover the truth, but he is also haunted by the sins of his past which he has been trying to atone for. An incident in his youth 12 years ago has snowballed into a larger tragedy, and the two men involved are destined to face each other again, unsure who is good and who is evil.''
1 x
2020 resolution words learned: 472 / 1000
Pages read at end of 2020: 220 / 1500

AndyMeg
Blue Belt

Postby AndyMeg » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:21 pm

Maō (魔王) is the japanese remake of the korean drama "The devil" and I've seen a lot of good reviews about it. It is on my "to-watch" list.
1 x

AndyMeg
Blue Belt

Postby AndyMeg » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:17 pm

In Japan they sell some really helpful books like this one: 旅の指さし会話帳21JAPAN[English Edition/英語版](日本語). I have the spanish version and I love it. Maybe buying one of this could help you to feel more at ease and confident when you want to communicate in different contexts.
0 x

Yuurei
Green Belt
Languages: German (N), English, French, Japanese, Spanish, Latin, Italian
Studying: Japanese, Chinese, Korean
Maintaining: French, Spanish
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1721

Postby Yuurei » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:42 am

ロータス wrote:Have already bought four korean reader here xD Want to buy more but would have to go to Seoul for more. Also noticed there are so many Japanese parallel readers that aren't sold overseas or on Amazon :(

Ooh, may I ask what those Korean readers are?
0 x

kujichagulia
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Japanese (intermediate), Portuguese (intermediate)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=858

Re: Study Log 한국어

Postby kujichagulia » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:33 am

ロータス wrote:Wow is HelloTalk's Moments fast. I posted my practice of grammar from Yonsei 1-1 first chapter and got corrects before I could even close the app to do something else XD Will right update later, hungry for some beef and rice. Hope there is one there at the store, ifs after lunch so my chances arent looking good lol.

That is one thing I miss from HelloTalk: the Moments feature.
0 x

Oscard587
Yellow Belt
Languages: Korean (Native)
English (A2)
Russian (Beginner)

-Turkish, Polish, French
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5866

Re: Study Log 한국어

Postby Oscard587 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:28 pm

그렇지만(하지만) 지금 미국에(서) 지 않습니다.
Question: Did I do "미국에" correctly? Only one person changed it to 에서. I googled before posting to look up which one to use and 에 seemed right

-에 / -에서 is almost same when it’s used for denote ‘place’.
The difference comes out in this situation :
-에 : 장소 + 상태 (place+status,state, condition)
-에서 : 장소 + 행동 (place+behavior, action etc)

I’ll write examples only for differences.

See :

길에 사람들이 많아요.
*길에서 사람들이 많아요.
많다 - status

사람들이 길에서 뛰어요.
*사람들이 길에 뛰어요.
뛰다 - behavior

카페에 직원이 없어요.
*카페에서 직원이 없어요.
없다 - status

카페에서 커피를 마셔요.
*카페에 커피를 마셔요.
마시다 - behavior

친구가 의자에 앉았어요.
*친구가 의자에서 앉았어요.
앉다 - verb but describes current status in this sentence.

친구가 의자에서 책을 읽어요.
*친구가 의자에 책을 읽어요.
읽다 - verb but describes behavior in this sentence.

살다 is exception of this rule. That means, -에 and -에서. both is right.

나는 한국에 산다. Simply stating that living place is Korea.
나는 한국에서 산다. I’m living in Korea but with doing something

There are slight difference but I’m not sure every Korean distinguish it strictly. To be honest, I didn’t know that before too. I checked rule just for 살다 and this is the result.

Hellotalk is exceptionally fast tool for get correction for Korean language. However, I found my fellow Koreans gives correction sometimes wrong, especially when I’m thinking of ideas that learners tried to express in English. They always rely on their natural instinct of Korean language too much and never check their usage is correct or not so.. rarely I had to do correct other Koreans correction in hellotalk in the past. on the other hand, I found that Lang-8 gives more correct corrections based on grammatical knowledge before, so I didn’t have to correct other Korean’s correction but I’m not sure for now.
3 x
Just because I accept the inevitability of my fate, does not mean I am in any hurry to embrace it!

Mais l'important n’est pas la chute, c’est l’atterrissage.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam.

Return to “Language logs”