Study Log 한국어

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
AndyMeg
Blue Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2-C1), Japanese (A2-B1), Korean (Lower Intermediate?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 02#p201902

Re: 한국어 공부기록

Postby AndyMeg » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:07 pm

ロータス wrote:LingoDeer KR : 69 / 69[69/69] 11-17 Done!
Finally done with Lingodeer.

Congratulations! :D

ロータス wrote:Still iffy on if 보다 is used to mean "to read" as much as Lingodeer says it is. Dont remember learning 읽다 here but in other resources that is all I see when I see sentences like 'to read a book/newspaper'.

You are right that 읽다 is the specific verb for "to read"; but, according to my teacher from the korean classes I was taking (who is a native korean), 보다 is a very flexible verb which can be used in many cases. It's main meaning is "to see/to watch", but it can also mean "to read" (as in "I read a book") and even "to meet" (as in "I met my friends yesterday").
0 x
Beyond The Story 10 Year Record of BTS Korean version: 36 / 522

AndyMeg
Blue Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2-C1), Japanese (A2-B1), Korean (Lower Intermediate?)

Postby AndyMeg » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:32 pm

ロータス wrote:I'm trying to do an hour a day of textbook reading and then read some articles on Readlang.

If anyone is wondering about the high numbers in the progress bars, its because I put the textbooks in Anki. So each card has a reading passage + audio (expect KIIP). I don't do reviews so this is all read and move on.

Could you please explain a bit more about the way you are studying/learning? I feel really curious.
0 x

AndyMeg
Blue Belt

Postby AndyMeg » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:52 pm

Thanks a lot for the more in depth explanation! :) Looks like a very interesting route!

I understand the part of sound changes in korean. That's why for the first months I tried to only read texts/words that had a corresponding audio I could listen to (I accomplished this about 90% to 95% of the time). Now that I have a better grasp of korean pronunciation and sound changes I'm less strict with what I read.

Japanese pronunciation is a lot easier than korean (especially for a spanish native speaker like me), but kanjis have been a big stumbling rock on my road (I had an early "trauma" with them because I skipped almost two levels because there were no students for the level I was supposed to take in my japanese classes. When I arrived to the new level/class the teacher would make a kanji/vocabulary quiz every week and most of the time I would get bad notes on those quizzes. The level I came from was a very early beginner: we had just learnt the kanas and just very few kanji. And the students in the new level/class I arrived at had already seen about 100 more kanji than I, and a lot more grammar). In this sense I really like that, for many activities, koreans just use hangeul :mrgreen: (Ironically, now I'm trying to improve my korean vocabulary grasp by studying hanja XD!).
0 x

AndyMeg
Blue Belt

Re: 한국어 공부기록 + 日本語 勉強記録

Postby AndyMeg » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:58 pm

Michel Thomas Japanese (foundation and advanced) could be a good quick refresher of basic japanese ;)
0 x

AndyMeg
Blue Belt

Postby AndyMeg » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:57 pm

ロータス wrote:
AndyMeg wrote:Michel Thomas Japanese (foundation and advanced) could be a good quick refresher of basic japanese ;)

With the exception of the languagepods, I mostly stay away from products that teach a whole much of languages. I stick with companies or authors that make product just for the language I'm learning. (and are mostly free) xP

Ok. I understand your decision. I suggested it because I really enjoyed it back when I used it (at that time I already knew some japanese and I actually thought it was a great quick refresher) ;)
0 x

AndyMeg
Blue Belt

Postby AndyMeg » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:55 pm

I hope you get better soon.

Just in case you don't know, sometimes they open free Marugoto courses with tutors. I got a notification a few weeks ago but didn't take it because right now I'm focused on korean.
0 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:24 am

ロータス wrote:I wish there was a website that list which grammar points fit which level of TOPIK. JP has several. I would like to know what grammar points are considered advanced and which grammar points TOPIK test on. Until then, will pick with just trying to get an intermediate level in Korean.

Not exactly TOPIK but close?
koreanwikiproject > Subcategories
I'm sure there'll be ones for TOPIK.
0 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:54 am

You probably didn't see the "Subcategories" bit in my post either? I think they have tricks for reading carefully or for re-reading. Proofreaders' tricks of the trade. At work I have specific methods of checking calculations. I don't just re-calculate something again and again and again.
0 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

AndyMeg
Blue Belt

Postby AndyMeg » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:12 pm

ロータス wrote:When I went looking for tips on becoming a translator, I saw several people saying while you need to get good in a second language, you also need to be really good writing in your native language. For people that read my posts, you may have notice I make a few (a lot) of grammar errors. I have only started to really notice this problem this year when I took an English class at my college. Seeing my work getting corrected again really shown that while I can write about the topic really well, I make a few grammar mistakes that should be obvious with a quick reread. The problem is I do reread but my mind sometimes only sees what I meant to write, if that makes sense.

I like when smallwhite quoted me above, as I was reading to see what they quoted, I quickly see my mistake. I wrote 'pick' when I meant 'stick'. This happens in my speech as well. I'll say 'close the window' when I mean door, I check the 'living room' when I mean 'bedroom'. Always saying/writing a similar word then what I mean. Every time I see those kinds of mistakes, I feel embarrassed and annoyed. "How did I miss that? Why am I still making these kind of mistakes at my age?"

The obvious advise is "practice writing more" but I do and I still see what I meant but not what I wrote. I'm pretty sure I have some form of dyslexia. And if I do, I'm not sure how to get better at noticing my problems. Reread 3 times, 4 times? Practice spelling so I dont have rely on Google? Buy a book on adverbs and adjective so I can stop writing like a 5th grader? It really makes me sad when I want to use a 'smart' word but because I cant spell it, I downgrade to something simpler. I feel stupid that I have to study my native language again which makes me not want to do it.

This is more of a small rant triggered by seeing my mistake and stress from thinking too much.

Some tips that may help:

- Try reading the text outloud and a bit slower than usual (or if you have a text-to-speech software, that may help too. Windows, for example, usually comes with it. I notice a lot of mistakes when I do this)
- Read the text starting from the last word up to the first one: this way you focus more on the individual words and there won't be as much interference from what you were thinking while writing.
- If you can't spell a word right try googling it or writing it in the Google translator. If it's misspelled it'll give you suggestions of what could be the right word. If it doesn't give you any suggestions or it gives you a word with a different definition, you can try tweaking the spelling a little bit each time until you get the word you are looking for. This may be time consuming at the beginning but the more you do it the easier it becomes and the more you remember the right words/spelling.
0 x

AndyMeg
Blue Belt

Postby AndyMeg » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:56 am

ロータス wrote: I just seem to really enjoy Korean style textbooks. So now I will just be going through Korean Grammar in Use Beg. to review all the grammar I'm still iffy on and the ones I haven't seen yet.

I'm usually not a huge fan of textbooks, but the korean style ones were a great surprise because I actually enjoy them a lot. I plan to go through all the "Korean Grammar in Use" books in the future too, but for now I'm enjoying going through "맞춤 스페인어권 한국어: Coreano para la Comunidad Coreana Hispanohablante".
0 x

Return to “Language logs”