Tagalog and French Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
eggrollextravaganza
Languages: English (N), Tagalog (passive), Mandarin (beginner)

Tagalog and French Log

Postby eggrollextravaganza » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:10 pm

Hi, all! I'm new here and very excited to start logging my progress.

I was actually born in the Philippines and was able to speak Tagalog until the tender age of four or five. I moved to the US when I was two and my parents didn't push me to continue speaking Tagalog so I lost it. Fortunately, I can still understand Tagalog... well, for the most part. I realized when I started this journey that my vocabulary is surprisingly limited, which makes sense since much of my vocabulary comes from eavesdropping on my aunts or my grandparents scolding me, so not a lot of variety there. Still, I can watch TV or film and understand what's going on, but for some shows such as historical dramas, I run into a lot of unfamiliar vocabulary. I started doing Pimsleur about a month ago. It's a little slow, but I found that it has helped my speaking and it has helped me confidence-wise. I bought Glossika Tagalog, but haven't started yet. This is my third attempt with Tagalog. I've made some half-hearted attempts in the past, but I'm more determined this time as I'd like to learn for my grandmother.

I started learning French in high school and I was probably at an A2 level when I graduated. I fell in love with French in high school, and I tried continuing with it in college independently, but I had to drop it since I was struggling with my coursework. I've decided to finally pick it up again, and I'm pretty excited about it since I find a lot of French media enjoyable. I'm currently doing Assimil and FSI.
2 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: Tagalog and French Log

Postby rdearman » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:52 pm

Welcome aboard. Keep us posted. If you need resources don't forget to check out the resources area. There is a master list of resources pinned to the top.
1 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Snow
Orange Belt
Languages: Tagalog (native), English (advanced), Spanish (intermediate), Korean (upper beginner)

Postby Snow » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:00 pm

eggrollextravaganza wrote:but for some shows such as historical dramas, I run into a lot of unfamiliar vocabulary.

What shows are you watching? I didn't know we have historical dramas here.

If you need help, you can ask me. I'm a native speaker.
0 x

sfuqua
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Bad English: native
Samoan: speak, but rusty
Tagalog: imperfect, but use all the time
Spanish: read
French: read some
Japanese: beginner, obsessively studying
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9248

Postby sfuqua » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:43 pm

Glossika Tagalog may work well for you if you like the whole glossika approach. It is actually one of the better glossika courses that I've tried.
2 x
荒海や佐渡によこたふ天の川

the rough sea / stretching out towards Sado / the Milky Way
Basho[1689]

Sometimes Japanese is just too much...

eggrollextravaganza

Postby eggrollextravaganza » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:37 pm

Snow wrote:
eggrollextravaganza wrote:but for some shows such as historical dramas, I run into a lot of unfamiliar vocabulary.

Well, they're technically not Filipino dramas. I've been watching Tagalog dubs of historical Korean dramas. I haven't been able to find a Filipino series that I like. If you have any recommendations, I'd love to try them! I've mainly been watching dubs of dramas or anime.

sfuqua wrote:Glossika Tagalog may work well for you if you like the whole glossika approach. It is actually one of the better glossika courses that I've tried.

Tagalog will be my first Glossika course, so I'm excited to try it!
0 x

Whodathunkitz
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Cebuano (basic spoken daily, best L2), Spanish (beginner, but can read), Esperanto (beginner and not maintained). Sometimes dabble with Dutch, Serbian, Slovak, Czech, German and Arabic.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5133&start=30

Postby Whodathunkitz » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:43 pm

Snow wrote:

Amaya?

Wrong language for me for now (want cebuano). Tagalog is several years away for me.
0 x
2018 Cebuano SuperChallenge 1 May 2018-Dec 2019
: 150 / 600 SC days:
: 6 / 1250 Read (aim daily 2000 words):
: 299 / 9000 Video (aim daily 15 minutes):

eggrollextravaganza

Postby eggrollextravaganza » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:55 pm

Last week was a pretty good week for Tagalog. I finished the first 30 lessons of Pimsleur, and now I'm moving on to the reading lessons this week. I'm not sure if I'm going to bother with level 2 of Tagalog, but I've noticed that it's on Audible and I do have enough credits for it.

I was less consistent with French, and I think part of that is boredom. I think I'm going to start doing two chapters of Assimil a day and see how that goes.
0 x

Return to “Language logs”