What Expug is doing in 2015

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native Brazilian Portuguese#advanced fluency English, French, Papiamento#basic fluency Italian, Norwegian#intermediate Spanish, German, Georgian and Chinese (Mandarin)#basic Russian, Estonian, Greek (Modern)#just started Indonesian, Hebrew (Modern), Guarani
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9931

Re: What Expug is doing in 2015

Postby Expugnator » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:07 pm

Today I finally listened to Papiamento videos again, after several days. Still having a good comprehension. In the Papiamento front, I also finished reading the book "Mi bida no bal niun sèn" and now i'm back into reading short news articles, which weren't as elucidative as this book was - and this book is available for free at the author's website. Though it's been translated from Dutch, it has a wide range of Papiamento colloquial words. The author writes as though he is having an intimate conversation and discusses important issues involving marginalized childhood in the ABC islands. Enlightening.

At the material gathering front, I've been charged taxes for the DVDs for the 5th, 6th and 7th seasons of Futurama in German. The taxes are about the same as the actual price, which means I pay twice for them. At the current rate of over 4 reais for 1 euro, that means I paid around 8x the price in euros for those 3 dvds. I definitely need to find another way of having access to German media. On the good news, the Introductory Hebrew course with 90 lessons by Routledge is finally available, and that makes me wanderlust a bit more. I wonder how many "opaque" languages one can learn. At which point it becomes unbearable to learn all the vocabulary of a new language and thus experienced polyglots resort to only polishing up sister languages of those they already know? Maybe it's a topic I should open. I started Norwegian, Georgian, Russian, Mandarin and Estonian as transparent languages and although I am eager for more, be it Greek (which I believe won't be that hard in terms of vocabulary), Turkish, Hebrew, Arabic or Indonesian, I keep wondering if my brain really can take another language in my daily routine.

Still at the resources front, I bought the third e-book from a trilogy from a different bookstore, lit.ge . So far I had bought the two from saba.com.ge . Reason of change: I couldn't make saba's app work on iOs and had to open it on the website, so I could only read it while studying at the computer (or at the tablet through the website, not through the app, so only while I was online). Then I bought the phone with Android and managed to install saba's app and download the book, so now I can read it offline too. But I decided it was time to try lit.ge and open it on the tablet while offline, because the phone screen is too small, especially for Georgian. Well then...it turns out lit.ge's books can ONLY be opened at applications, they don't have an online library. So, since I can't install their Windows app here, that means I can't open it at the computer and so instead of a comfortable parallel reading at a large screen with a large font I will have to keep flipping my head up and down to the computer from the tablet or instead open the Portuguese translation on the phone and look left to rigth from a large to a small screen, both of which are uncomfortable. It turns out you have to consider all the variables while buying e-books!

More on Georgian: I read my first page intensively without a translation, and it went well! It was just the acknowledgments page, but it is rather long with over 10 paragraphs. I'm looking up about the same number of words in Georgian as I am with the basic texts at the Estonian textbook, some 3 per paragraph, still doable. But now back to "perpendicular reading".

My mind is finally adjusting to the Chinese audiobook. Now I'm following audio and text real-time, no pause to figure out what I'm reading, which is quite an improvement. This means I'm starting to associate meaning and sound which is an important step towards matching listening skills to reading skills. It's a text I can easily read but I couldn't follow while listening, even though I could decypher/transcribe the sounds. I believe I'm in the mood for Chinese: earlier I read 5 pages of the novel from Dan Brown instead of the usual 4, I could focus almost all the time and learn new vocabulary and I didn't even notice I was reading a bit more, as I wanted to finish a chapter.

Hit the jackpot for Georgian films. I don't think I will need to worry about finding a film I like next time. I can just watch the film I want to like in Georgian.

Ca$h (2008) is another film starring Jean Dujardin; I recommend it (in French, not voiced-over Georgian, though I understand the background French better than I usually do with the English one. I wonder if Serpent would watch a voice-over film and count it for both languages in the Super Challenge :P

Chatted in Russian a bit. Impressed with two phenomena: Google Translate is becoming more and more accurate for translations into Russian and b) My preevious idea of what to write is matching that translation more often as well, and when it doesn't, I'm more and more capable of evaluating which one is wrong and where, that is to say, the language starts to come more automatically, even adjectival declension. The conversation was fun because we discussed language learning strategies. It sounded like I was writing at the fora, though in Russian.

Needless to repeat but I will, the best moment of the day was reading in Estonian. Increasing the vocabulary coverage through leaps and bounds.
1 x
Corrections welcome for any language.

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native Brazilian Portuguese#advanced fluency English, French, Papiamento#basic fluency Italian, Norwegian#intermediate Spanish, German, Georgian and Chinese (Mandarin)#basic Russian, Estonian, Greek (Modern)#just started Indonesian, Hebrew (Modern), Guarani

Postby Expugnator » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:02 pm

Yesterday I watched one episode of Kuxnya in Georgian voice-over. It's got much better since I began watching dubbed American films, but still not enough for me to enjoy and follow the plot the way I did when I had the transcripts. It turns out most episodes from the 4th season are no longer available with Bulgarian subtitles, which is the way I understand the most from. So I'll have to keep trying episodes in Georgian or Russian during my 'best days' until I reach the 5th season.

Once again I read 5 pages in Mandarin instead of 4, even past a whole chapter. This time I really forgot the number of the page I started reading.

Finished "Stille spricht" and went straight for the following book in Eckhart Tolle's bibliography: Eine Neue Erde. Pages are Cluttered A4 format with a smaller font, so I'm counting them as double.

Overall it was a good, productive day, though I still haven't succeeded at organizing myself for doing output activities after I've done all the schdule activities plus the surplus ones.
0 x

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby Expugnator » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:27 pm

We had a hOliday yesterday and so I went to my hometown on Saturday and came back in the afternoon. Not much langugae-wise, except for the book I can only read in my new device: I finished it. Also, 10 more pages in Norwegian. It's sad but I have to 'save' Norwegian reading because the books are all so expensive. I wonder if the fact I'm not watching videos has to do with me having finished the Super Challenge.

Before sleep I tried to watch one episode of 'Dag', but my comprehension still isn't well enough. I have to try and get speed with audiobooks, maybe through actually increasing their speed.

It was a difficult Estonian lesson. Unusual vocabulary, took a lot of time for me to translate each word. If things keep at this rhythm the textbook is going to be harder than the novel I'm reading later in the afternoon.

At what point was language learning (or discussion about language learning) reduced to the best tricks for optimizing one's SRS with audio, video and whatnot?

An interesting text about Georgian.
4 x

neofight78
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (B2+), Spanish (A0)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=833

Postby neofight78 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:44 pm

Expugnator wrote:At what point was language learning (or discussion about language learning) reduced to the best tricks for optimizing one's SRS with audio, video and whatnot?

Hmm... not sure I follow where that thought came from. Care to expand?

Expugnator wrote:An interesting text about Georgian.

It indeed makes an interesting read! :D
0 x

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby Expugnator » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:46 pm

neofight78 wrote:
Expugnator wrote:At what point was language learning (or discussion about language learning) reduced to the best tricks for optimizing one's SRS with audio, video and whatnot?

Hmm... not sure I follow where that thought came from. Care to expand?

SRS is dominating most of the new discussions, if not all. Nothing against that, but I long for a bit more diversity (and fun).
1 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:42 pm

Thanks for the Georgian link, Expug. I can sort of relate to that. Haitians are not used to hearing foreigners speak their language but they react very positively and bend over backwards to help me. Many Spanish-speakers aren't accustomed to hearing their language spoken by a foreigner beyond "¿Cómo está Ud.?", especially in Puerto Rico- my next door neighbor. Once you can prove that you can speak real Spanish, they're fine with keeping in Spanish. In Brazil and Portugal people were glad that I could speak Portuguese. I never was switched to English. I only met one English-speaker in Sampa and he was from Israel. There were several in Rio, of course.

Georgian does not look like a walk in the park. My hat is off to you!

I don't mind emk's subs2srs development thread. I think subs2srs could be a great help for, and an incentive to, people studying big languages to use native materials for learning. Still, I do agree with you. I have nothing to contribute to the other srs threads because, like you, I don't use it. Just like the Georgians who don't know what category to put foreigners who speak Georgian in, I sometimes think those who are really into srs just don't know what to do with folks like us. How can we possibly learn languages without srs? :roll:

I think srs can be a good tool, but it shouldn't be the only tool or the primary tool in language-learning.
1 x

vonPeterhof
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (C2), Japanese (~C1), German (~B2), Kazakh (~B1), Norwegian (~A2)
Studying: Kazakh, Mandarin, Coptic
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1237

Postby vonPeterhof » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:30 pm

This text and another one that's linked in the beginning are really flaring up my wanderlust right now. The feeling is pretty similar to what I felt when I decided to take on Japanese: "now that's a challenge!" Not sure if I'll be able to find enough media in Georgian to sustain my interest once this sense of challenge gives way to the intermediate plateau, but it would be interesting to try at some point. And yeah, the positive face culture is also strong in Japan. The difference is that most people in Japan are rather insecure about their English ability and fluency in other foreign languages is extremely rare, so it's unlikely that they'll switch languages on you.
4 x

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Postby emk » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:50 pm

Expugnator wrote:SRS is dominating most of the new discussions, if not all. Nothing against that, but I long for a bit more diversity (and fun).

Yeah, SRS is actually a relatively small portion of my learning, even if it might not seem like that. Anki reports that I've spent 93 hours reviewing French cards in 3¾ years. But I spent 55 hours watching French TV and then maybe another 35 hours reading French books during February 2013 alone. I'd love to do that in Spanish, too, but I'm not quite there yet. :? But in any case, I'll try to keep the noise level down so other people can study in peace. :-)

Oooh, that sounds like lots of fun, for people who like a nice challenge:

For example, the verb 'to have' seems like it should be very basic, but you need to know that it takes a dative case subject that agrees with what look like object prefixes, a nominative case object that agree with subject suffixes, and you also need to know whether the possessee is animate or inanimate, because there are two entirely different verbs for 'have' that depend on that fact. Also, these two verbs use different irregular stems in every tense, so they require a lot of memorization.

I'm continually amazed at some of the weird things that appear in the world's languages.
3 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:32 am

Expugnator wrote:SRS is dominating most of the new discussions, if not all. Nothing against that, but I long for a bit more diversity (and fun).

Why don't you start some interesting threads and contribute to diversity and fun instead of complain that others aren't giving you as much diversity and fun as you'd hoped?

Lyrics from 張學友's 「情書」("Love Letter"):
等待着别人给幸福的人往往过得都不怎麽幸福
People who wait for others to give them happiness oftentimes don't get that happy in life.
Last edited by smallwhite on Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

tangleweeds
Green Belt
Languages: English (N)
beginner: Irish
clearing cobwebs: Japanese
on the shelf: French, Latin
wanderlust: Norwegian, Vietnamese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=705

Postby tangleweeds » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:35 am

Oops, apologies for creating yet another SRS-ish thread :oops: :lol:

SRS is my personal version of computer gaming, and I only keep at it when it's fun. But it's like having a voracious exotic pet, ever hungry for fresh cards, thus our fascination with keeping the darn thing fed. :mrgreen:
0 x
Neurological odyssey is going better! Yay!

Return to “Language logs”