---

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
RyanSmallwood
Orange Belt
Languages: Native: English

---

Postby RyanSmallwood » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:13 pm

---
Last edited by RyanSmallwood on Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2 x

RyanSmallwood
Orange Belt

---

Postby RyanSmallwood » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:20 pm

---
Last edited by RyanSmallwood on Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native Brazilian Portuguese#advanced fluency English, French, Papiamento#basic fluency Italian, Norwegian#intermediate Spanish, German, Georgian and Chinese (Mandarin)#basic Russian, Estonian, Greek (Modern)#just started Indonesian, Hebrew (Modern), Guarani
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9931

Re: Reading for Film Studies

Postby Expugnator » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:03 pm

Ryan, what you wrote makes a lot of sense. It seems we both reached to similar conclusions (I don't know if you have been reading my log lately). There is a time for L-Ring and it tends to be longer for distant languages (which actually tend to have much less resources). I also think it is important to switch methods. Now, for example, I am listening to Norwegian and reading in Portuguese and I'm watching a Norwegian series with no subtitles. Result: my Name regain is already suffering from a slower expansion of vocabulary dye to not bei g exposed to the written language.
1 x
Corrections welcome for any language.

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:08 pm

Have you considered using some of the http://librivox.org/ open-sourced books and slowing them down? Human readers and they have a lot of books like Jules Verne, etc in French. This is an interesting experiament and I have a couple of those books already, so I might just have a play with this method myself. I commute a lot via car, so long slow books in French wouldn''t be a problem, especially where I already know the book.
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

RyanSmallwood
Orange Belt

---

Postby RyanSmallwood » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:07 am

---
Last edited by RyanSmallwood on Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:14 am

Just a note on the L-R system. The originator of the system details a list of rules to be used in L-R, though in the posts s/he makes s/he also tells us that there are no rules.

Here is the url for the first post s/he makes on the ur-site:

http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1#59537

My own attempts to follow precisely her steps foundered on finding (1) a text I had read and really liked with (2) good audio for the text. I made do with what I could find, but couldn't make a go of it. This would not lead me to say the method is not a good one. I would further add that the L-R method, like so many other methods, can work well even in parts. Part of the process of learning a language, it seems to me, is learning to adapt various strategies to one's own preferences. There are no canonical methods, in my opinion, for learning a language. And yet this is not to say that some methods will not work if followed religiously. For some of us they work, for some of us they do not work.

As for librivox and litteratureaudio, I made good use of their French sources for some of Proust, Dumas père and Camus. (I can no longer remember any longer which author came from which source). Needless to say, some non-professional voices work better for me than others.
1 x

RyanSmallwood
Orange Belt

---

Postby RyanSmallwood » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:29 pm

---
2 x

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native Brazilian Portuguese#advanced fluency English, French, Papiamento#basic fluency Italian, Norwegian#intermediate Spanish, German, Georgian and Chinese (Mandarin)#basic Russian, Estonian, Greek (Modern)#just started Indonesian, Hebrew (Modern), Guarani

Postby Expugnator » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:18 pm

Looking forward to reading about your Thai experiment!
0 x

RyanSmallwood
Orange Belt

---

Postby RyanSmallwood » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:32 pm

---
Last edited by RyanSmallwood on Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4 x

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby Expugnator » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:07 pm

Looking forward to seeing the results of your tests, Ryan. I'm here on my log ranting on my daily basis that my methods aren't efficient enough, but I think that when it comes to 'speaking' my opaque languages I'm not that far off. I think I can speak better than I assume I do. On the other hand, my main goal which is to turn opacity into transparence is lagging behind. I think I put my efforts on the latter and end up getting better results with the former. Sometimes I think if I took an italki challenge for each of my languages or the like I'd reach basic fluency in them, but understanding a contemporary novel in an opaque language is a different beast. Now I'm thinking about trying to speak in order to improve my reading and listening comprehension.
0 x

Return to “Language logs”