Elenia wrote: MorkTheFiddle wrote:
Currently Reading - La Justice de l'ancillaire,
Currently Watching - Les Revenants, Kaamelott
*A note - I have omitted 'Films' from this list not because I haven't watched any, but rather that I have watched more than I care to list. A course on French cinema can do that to a girl.
1. Had you read Ancillary Justice in English? If yes, how was the translation?
2. How do you like Les Revenants?
3. Do you think Kaamelott is as difficult as some (Cavesa?) say?
4. Can you give us at least a couple French films you watched and liked?
1. I read Ancillary Justice
in English twice, and absolutely loved it. I thought the French translation was good, but was disappointed by the fact that the translator didn't use the gender inherent in French to greater effect. I think most of the translator's decisions in that regard can be rationalised but it was still a shame, I felt. There were also a couple of emissions which made certain aspects of the story confusing and one sentence was just wrong - the translator changed the subject of a sentence from 'you' to 'I', which I am assuming was an oversight. That being said, I am passing the translation on to my boyfriend and will be buying the second and third books when I can, so I did enjoy it.
2. I love 'Les Revenants' but have not watched very far because no one I know wants to watch it with me. I have very low stamina with series. I've only ever watched three full series of anything in my life, and all three were comedies.
3. Kaamelott is very
difficult. However, it really is perfect for learning more slangy French and it has full and correct transcripts available
which is a massive boon for the learner. The episodes are bite sized and self contained, so easily studied.
4. Une Femme est une femme, L'Ascenseur pour l'échafaud (mostly for the fabulous sound track!), À Bout de souffle. More recently, Le Havre which is directed by a Finnish director. I thought it was a really good film, and it's also very relevant currently.
Thanks for the questions
I'm not actively studying French any more but I'll be glad to answer more if I can!
Thanks for your replies.
1. I don't suppose I would have asked about Ancillary Justice
if I had not read and liked it. Since I did not quite understand everything that was going on, maybe I'll give the French a go.
2. Les Revenants
seems to be popular, but the subject matter is a bit of a turn-off for me. "Creepy" or "horror" content makes me laugh in disbelief, but no doubt a personal problem. But I'm going to give it a try.
I have never watched any TV series to the end. I tend to stall after two or three years, at most, because I just get bored. I watched more seasons of Law and Order
(the original series) than any other series, but I did not watch even it to the end. One lonely exception was Un Village Français
(with English subtitles), but only because I paid for it. IMHO, a couple of the middle seasons were a waste.
3. Thanks for the transcripts to Kaamelott
. I'm not sure it's my cup of tea, but with transcripts I think I'll try it.
4. I saw and liked L'Ascenseur pour l'échafaud
, but can't remember anything about it! I'll be looking for the other three.