Languid Language Learning

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Re: Languid Language Learning

Postby Serpent » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:08 am

Aww, I'm glad to see that you've joined the European and Translation challenges :)
0 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:07 pm

Serpent wrote:Aww, I'm glad to see that you've joined the European and Translation challenges :)

Thank you for opening my eyes to the beauty of reading challenges! Sommarboken will count for Finland when I've finished reading it, which is great. I didn't realise at first :mrgreen:

---

Goals, goals, goals!

Optimistic Past Elenia wrote:
    Swedish
  • Finish reading Sommarboken
  • Read one chapter of Mio, min Mio intensively
  • Read at least one story of Sommarboken intensively
  • Watch an episode of Mitt i Naturen
  • Watch a youtube video
  • Watch an episode of På Spåret
  • Watch an episode of Julkalendar
  • Translate the first chapter of the fairytale
    German
  • Get up to date with my tandem read of Die unendliche Geschichte
  • Read the first chapter of Tintenherz*
  • Practice output
    Korean
  • Start one of the coursebooks fellow forum members have so kindly helped me out with finding
  • Watch another 'Two Chefs' episode
  • Seriously try reading a bit of a webtoon

This week, considered objectively, was a failure. HOWEVER, thinking like that gets no one nowhere, so I'll stop immediately. I did not finish Sommarboken, as is evident from my reply to Serpent. I have seven stories (62 pages, all together) left. I also didn't complete either of the intensive reading goals. I managed to do most of the Sommarboken story, but not the chapter from Mio, min Mio. I didn't watch any Mitt i naturen, Julkalander or På Spåret, but I did watch a TON of Youtube videos yesterday morning. I'm talking at least an hour an a half. I started the translation, but got sidetracked by writing a letter. The letter was in Swedish, so it's all good, probably.

I got up to date with the tandem read of Die unendliche Geschichte... and then promptly fell behind again. However, I have until Sunday before I'm officially behind, so that is also okay. I read the first chapter of Tintenherz and also started a thread inviting others to join in. We've got a good few participants now, but there is always room for more! Reading with the 'book club' is turning out to be a lot of fun, and a great motivation. I almost replied to a comment in German, but then didn't. So no output from me this week.

I haven't started a coursebook properly yet for Korean - I'm still dithering between them, which is the worst thing to do. However, I did watch another two episodes of Two Chefs, which was great fun, as always. I haven't made a proper effort to read the webtoon, but I am a step closer to doing so.

After having evaluated my performance on my goals, it's clear to see that I should probably scale back for next week. But that's really not my style. So, without further ado, next weeks goals are:

Swedish
  • Read at least three pages of Mio, min Mio intensively
  • Read at least three pages of Sommarboken intensively
  • Watch a youtube video
  • Watch an episode of Vad blir det för mat
  • Finish translating the first chapter of the fairytale
    German
  • Read the second chapter of Tintenherz
  • Practice output
    Korean
  • Start one of the coursebooks fellow forum members have so kindly helped me out with finding
  • Have a go at understanding the recipe given at the end of one 'Two Chefs' episode

Almost exactly the same, but more. I've added in one more thing to watch for Swedish, and an extra task for Korean. I have also revised the intensive reading goals, so that they are page oriented. This makes more sense to the present me. So, fingers crossed and good luck to me for the coming week!
3 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:04 pm

Michael Ende wrote:Davon hatte er ja schon in Wirkligheit genug, wozu sollte er auch noch davon lesen?

Not an update of any description, but certainly how I feel most of the time.
0 x

wnint
White Belt
Languages: English

Postby wnint » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:46 pm

Are you still reading Låt den rätte komma in? What do you think about it? It's been stuck somewhere in my to read-list ever since I watched the movie years ago.

And I also noticed you are watching På spåret. Is it difficult to follow do you think? The program spårar ur quite often... :) Definitely my favorite show on Swedish television!
1 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:23 am

wnint wrote:Are you still reading Låt den rätte komma in? What do you think about it? It's been stuck somewhere in my to read-list ever since I watched the movie years ago.

And I also noticed you are watching På spåret. Is it difficult to follow do you think? The program spårar ur quite often... :) Definitely my favorite show on Swedish television!

I am still reading. It is slow progress, though. I love it! I first read the book probably about seven years ago, in English. I watched the film two or three years ago, and while it is amazing, it can't compare to the book. I think if you enjoyed the film, you'll definitely enjoy the book.

I watch På Spåret with subs, but still most of the clues go way over my head. But I love it! It's such a cool show, and I think I get most of the between-clip chat. I still haven't tried watching without subs though - I'm scared of missing out!
1 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:53 pm

Those parts of "På spåret" where you get small incomprehensible hints to a location while you rattle along towards it also go way over my head - but it is mostly because you would need a lot of circumstancial knowledge about Sweden to exploit those hints. It's easier when the two teams are presented with direct questions which you either can answer or not.
0 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:25 pm

Iversen wrote:Those parts of "På spåret" where you get small incomprehensible hints to a location while you rattle along towards it also go way over my head - but it is mostly because you would need a lot of circumstancial knowledge about Sweden to exploit those hints. It's easier when the two teams are presented with direct questions which you either can answer or not.

You also need to understand how those hints are constructed. In the last episode I watched (I'm a bit behind), a clue was 'a place where people who are good in German live'. I know what 'good' is in German, but I'm no good at understanding that kind of clue at all. My general knowledge is also terrible, so I can never answer those questions. Nonetheless, it's an incredibly fun show.

A small victory: I managed, without much difficulty or mental strain, to google translate the following into English (word-by-word) and understand it: 쇠갈비는가로 3cm, 세로 5cm, 두께 5cm 정도로 잘라 기름기 부분을 제거하고. Like I said, small victories. I take 'em where I can get them. General goals update will probably come tomorrow, but here's a spoiler for all you impatient people: it's not particularly pretty.
1 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:46 pm

Round up, round up! Time for the goals-week wrap up post, I know we're all excited.

First things first, I'll say that I didn't achieve much. Unlike certain forum members, who consistently put me to shame with their perfect records (Yuurei and Spoonary, I'm looking at you!), my goals completion is nowhere near one hundred per cent. On the plus side, I did much more than last week.

So, here it is:

Planless Elenia wrote:
    Swedish
  • Read at least three pages of Mio, min Mio intensively
  • Read at least three pages of Sommarboken intensively
  • Watch a youtube video
  • Finish translating the first chapter of the fairytale
    German
  • Practice output
    Korean
  • Have a go at understanding the recipe given at the end of one 'Two Chefs' episode

Swedish: I finished reading Sommarboken! It was, as expected, wonderful. I'll be writing up a full review on my blog soon, so that I can properly count it towards the European Literature challenge. It has also put me back on track for the Goodreads challenge, which is nice, and puts my amount of pages read (for my personal super challenge) up to 584. I am above target for this, but it would be nice if I could read up to 600 pages before the end of today or at least before Sunday. That might be a little optimistic, though. I read two pages intensively, also, but sadly didn't manage this for Mio, min Mio. Of the other goals, I only managed an episode of På Spåret and the Youtube video.
MID-POST UPDATE: I wrote a tiny text about Sommarboken for goodreads, which I posted on Lang-8. The text was spontaneous, although I wrote it in Word for basic spelling and grammar checking. The mistakes I made were only very minor, and one of the two people who corrected my text said I write beautifully :!: :!:

German: I am still very much behind on my tandem read, although I am slowly creeping forward. I am not officially behind until I skype my friend, and then we'll probably read some together. But I would still like to finish 'A' before then... I have not finished the second chapter of Tintenherz, mostly because I've been focusing on Sommarboken. However, it shouldn't take me too long to finish reading it, so I'll have it done by Sunday. I haven't practised output at all :( I don't even know how to go about beginning. Maybe I'll just have to google-transwrite* things and post them on lang-8 until I can make the mistakes on my own.

Korean: See last post. For those who don't read Korean and aren't quite up to google translating just to see my very minor achievement, that is a snippet from an instruction in a recipe telling me to cut galbi to certain measurements, and remove the fat. It fell apart a little bit after that, but I am still so proud. Sadly, I didn't manage anything else for Korean.

This week was complicated because after calling a cousin at the start of the week, and hearing that she was very stressed about having four essays to write in as many days, I offered to go to her house and help her. I did do that, and stayed the night, after which I invited her back to our house on the basis that it was better to be stressed and miserable in a warm house where she didn't have to cook and had family around than to be stressed and miserable alone in her breezy flat. Naturally, my study time was cut down quite a bit. Although I have another busy week ahead of me - my oldest sister turns thirty - there shouldn't be anything unexpectedly time consuming popping up, so I won't scale down my goals that much. Therefore, this new goals week I aim to:

Swedish
  • Start (re)reading Kvinnotankar, if I can find it
  • Reread another percent of Kaninhjärta in Readlang
  • Read at least two pages of Mio, min Mio intensively
  • Read at least two pages of Sommarboken intensively
  • Watch a youtube video
  • Translate more of the first chapter of the fairytale
    German
  • Practice output
    Korean
  • Have a go at understanding the rest of the first step for Kalbi-tang

*A word I have just now coined, meaning to write something making such heavy use of google translate that it is debatable whether it can really be considered one's own writing at all. I'm sure it will catch on.
6 x

Yuurei
Green Belt
Languages: German (N), English, French, Japanese, Spanish, Latin, Italian
Studying: Japanese, Chinese, Korean
Maintaining: French, Spanish
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1721

Postby Yuurei » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:46 am

Elenia wrote:First things first, I'll say that I didn't achieve much. Unlike certain forum members, who consistently put me to shame with their perfect records (Yuurei and Spoonary, I'm looking at you!), my goals completion is nowhere near one hundred per cent. On the plus side, I did much more than last week.

As Spoonary said on her log, the secret lies in having less/easier goals in the first place. :lol:
Seriously though, you're making great progress and the amount of work you're doing probably surpasses mine, so don't sell yourself short. ;) Keep up the good work!
2 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:58 pm

Yuurei wrote:As Spoonary said on her log, the secret lies in having less/easier goals in the first place. :lol:
Seriously though, you're making great progress and the amount of work you're doing probably surpasses mine, so don't sell yourself short. ;) Keep up the good work!

I'm not sure I do get more done than you (especially given the amount of free time I have) but I am always glad to give off the impression of productivity :lol: that being said, this week is actually going pretty well so far :D here's hoping that it keeps up!
2 x

Return to “Language logs”